PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the Wind

Motahari
02-14-2009, 10:52 PM
So I recently started playing on my high school tennis team. I would say I've been playing tennis seriously for about 2 years, and that I'm an alright player for the amount of time I've been playing. Anyways my team practices on courts where it always seems to be windy, and my first couple of matches were also very windy. The wind seems to really throw off my game, and I was wondering if I could get any tips for playing in the wind. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Geezer Guy
02-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Get to the ball quickly and set up early for the shot. Watch the ball extra close after the bounce, because it will probably move slightly from where you expect it to be when you hit it.
With the wind at your back hit with more topspin.
With the wind in your face, hit flat and hard.
You can lob into the wind, but don't lob with the wind at your back.
On big points, don't even try a first serve. Just get it in.
Practice playing in the wind every chance you get.

NoBadMojo
02-15-2009, 06:34 AM
So I recently started playing on my high school tennis team. I would say I've been playing tennis seriously for about 2 years, and that I'm an alright player for the amount of time I've been playing. Anyways my team practices on courts where it always seems to be windy, and my first couple of matches were also very windy. The wind seems to really throw off my game, and I was wondering if I could get any tips for playing in the wind. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mentally prepare for not playing your best tennis in the wind and know that your opponent is most likely not going to play his/her best either

Strategywise hit with more margin for error (a little more net clearance and dont go for the sidelines)

Mechanically pay special attention to footwork..especially the small adjustment steps used to readjust to balls that dont react as you expect them to. People should always do the small adjustment steps....many many do not.

Do this all as best as you can and view playing in the wind as fun challenge

fuzz nation
02-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Great advice already - you absolutely have to keep shuffling those feet and adjusting to those balls as the wind pushes them around.

One thing you can try to see if it unnerves your opponent is to crash the net when the wind is in your face. It can make your opponent feel helpless since a lob will probably sail long and there's virtually no margin for error with an attempt at a passing shot. Too hard and it's into the back fence on the fly, too close to the sideline and it can carry wide, too much spin without pace and you can gobble it up. If you're half way comfortable at net, you ought to try it and see if your opponent's composure evaporates.

joshburger
02-15-2009, 09:26 AM
try to play your normal game, remember the other player has to deal with the same thing

Motahari
02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Ah thanks for the great advice guys, I think the biggest thing I probably need to work on is my footwork. And I'm not to afraid to go to the net either, so I'll try that out too. Thanks guys

AlphaCDjkr
02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Realize that the wind will accentuate certain shots, as well as counter others. When the wind is blowing at you, realize that many of your shots will lose pace and float more. When the wind is blowing at your back, many of your shots will gain pace and penetrate the court much harder. You may want to alter your shots to match the situation.

When the wind is blowing at you, you may want to intentionally hit topspin shots harder (with a little more net clearance) to aim for more depth into the court, as regular topspin shots can dive prematurely, making a shallow shot that is a quick putaway for a strong opponent. Your slices will probably decelerate extremely quickly and almost rise upwards; you will want to avoid hitting slices with an upward trajectory as they may float and get put away. You will need good touch to slice effectively.

When the wind is blowing at your back, all of your shots will become faster. Your topspin strokes will gain pace and the topspin will kick harder. Your slices will probably float with too much pace and penetrate right into the fence, so you will have to intentionally hit slices in a much weaker fashion than you may do so normally.

When the wind is blowing sideways, usually the only shots that will be affected in the game will be lobs and particularly floaty slices, as regular groundstrokes will have very little time spent in the air.

I hope this all helps, because I know how playing in wind can be like. I actually like it, I'm not so sure about anyone else though... :)

JavierLW
02-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Here are some tips that I have used, my team plays in a place that is pretty much windy all the time:

1) Be patient out there. A lot of balls that may of been put away in normal conditions may come back more in the wind. Overheads are not as easy for one thing. (because the ball moves around on you) You may also make errors that you wouldnt of normally made.

2) When serving with the wind at my back, sometimes I purposely stand further out wide even if it's singles. This is to increase the distance between me and the service box so I have a bit more room to get the ball in.
You are "out of position" but this remedyed by the fact that your opponents shots may get slowed down anyway since they are going against the wind.

3) If the wind is going side to side, you have to realize that where you aim on the court has really changed. One one side you "lose" part of the court because the wind will carry the ball out, and on the other side you gained some area. A good play sometimes is to pass people on the side where you gained the extra court. (if you aim outside the sidelines the wind can take the ball and bring it inside after it's passed the guy)

4) If you can hit with a lot of topspin, use it. It seems to work well against or with the wind because it puts another force on the ball besides the wind. A good topspin shot can cut right thru the wind when you hit against it, but a flat shot will get slowed down.

5) Maybe this is just me but my service motion in the wind is extremely simplified. Especially when serving with the wind since the wind can add a lot of speed to the ball on it's own.

Roforot
02-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Mentally prepare for not playing your best tennis in the wind and know that your opponent is most likely not going to play his/her best either

Strategywise hit with more margin for error (a little more net clearance and dont go for the sidelines)

Mechanically pay special attention to footwork..especially the small adjustment steps used to readjust to balls that dont react as you expect them to. People should always do the small adjustment steps....many many do not.

Do this all as best as you can and view playing in the wind as fun challenge

What is your thoughts on playing against a "pusher" in the wind?

Playing against a "regular" player in the wind is much as you describe, but I have problems using that strategy against players who are very mobile, and mainly chop/hack the ball back without much pace.

It seems like I'll play well and get short balls, but taking a little off b/c of the wind, I find the pusher gets more balls back. The worst part is dealing w/ floating shots at the net as they move more than a regular/well hit groundstroke.

RoddickAce
05-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Sorry for bumping this 3 month old thread, but today, I played in 60 km/h winds and it was IMPOSSIBLE to hit nice clean winners all the time. It totally messed with my footwork, and defensive lobs were literally impossible to hit without it floating way off to the side. I run around my backhand a lot, and it totally messes up my footwork when I do that. So my question is, what is the most effective strategy against a net rusher when the wind is blowing your way and off to your right?

ramseszerg
05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Focus on high percentage tennis and get all your shots back in play.