02-15-2009, 01:20 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/f4qjdi.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/122ye1h.jpg

Bud
02-15-2009, 01:30 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/f4qjdi.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/122ye1h.jpg

Very nice collection!

I have one of the originals with the metal PWS plates riveted to 3/9 o'clock (2nd from the left). It appears you have all 3 iterations.

Are these yours?

joe sch
02-15-2009, 05:31 AM
The Ultra 2's are soo powerful, the ultra pws original is really the best stick for a player with classic tennis strokes. Check out the diffs between the 3 diff versions of the Ultra rackets. There were some other ultra models, but these are the 3 main variants:

http://www.woodtennis.com/sampras/ultra3racs.jpg
http://www.woodtennis.com/sampras/ultraThroats.jpg
http://www.woodtennis.com/sampras/ultraSides.jpg

plasma
02-15-2009, 10:32 AM
yes, I remember watching Aaron Krickstein as a kid ballistically jump balls over opponents heads with the Ultra 2 standard!!!...one standard is unused, I hit with the other one in the rain today I love it so much! Wish I could find a st. vincent mid and the rare Ultra 2 mid with the ugly wide throat piece. Ulta 2 Mid was once top of the line (above the PS 85!). It has much more power than a prostaff with less trampoline. I found the St. Vincent PS amazing but felt tension and shock in my arm and body after playing. No such experience with the Ultra 2 mid as they are much stronger and absorb shock and dampen vibration much better... also better feel, control and dwell time in my opinoin ( I have played bumperless and bumpered sv at all tensions known to mankind, chinas, taiwans, everything but the Chicago)....like ps 85's the U2 mids can be used effectively in a modern game...unlike the ps 85 they can also hammer a nail into a wall!
http://i44.tinypic.com/2nw0c60.jpg

schu47
02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey, plasma, is that my old Ultra 2 Standard you're taking out in the rain to hit? Don't get it wet! Watch out, or I'll take out that Secret 04 you sent me and play with it in the snow. :)

Just kidding. Glad you're enjoying it.

But I think you should use an old Yamaha YFG 30 and not the Ultra to hammer your nails.

Kirko
02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
yes, I remember watching Aaron Krickstein as a kid ballistically jump balls over opponents heads with the Ultra 2 standard!!!...one standard is unused, I hit with the other one in the rain today I love it so much! Wish I could find a st. vincent mid and the rare Ultra 2 mid with the ugly wide throat piece. Ulta 2 Mid was once top of the line (above the PS 85!). It has much more power than a prostaff with less trampoline. I found the St. Vincent PS amazing but felt tension and shock in my arm and body after playing. No such experience with the Ultra 2 mid as they are much stronger and absorb shock and dampen vibration much better... also better feel, control and dwell time in my opinoin ( I have played bumperless and bumpered sv at all tensions known to mankind, chinas, taiwans, everything but the Chicago)....like ps 85's the U2 mids can be used effectively in a modern game...unlike the ps 85 they can also hammer a nail into a wall!

the ultra II what a fantastic frame !!!! David Pate used it also.

plasma
02-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes and also Hana Mandlinkova, form the 80's czech tennis revolution, ( not at liberty to discuss or reply to these accounts, pls don't ask): I know for an actual fact that they beat the crap out of their players so bad, intimidating them and slapping and beating them violently after loosing matches...no wonder they were so good!
http://i43.tinypic.com/111o54y.jpg
talk about "made to win" sorry bad pun

Kirko
02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes and also Hana Mandlinkova, form the 80's czech tennis revolution, ( not at liberty to discuss or reply to these accounts, pls don't ask): I know for an actual fact that they beat the crap out of their players so bad, intimidating them and slapping and beating them violently after loosing matches...no wonder they were so good!
http://i43.tinypic.com/111o54y.jpg
talk about "made to win" sorry bad pun

that was a terrific frame !!!! Ken Rosewall used it also for a long time actually saw him play Mal Anderson in a seniors event ; Anderson used the Dunlop 200G.

plasma
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
what other later frames did Rosewall use?

Kirko
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
what other later frames did Rosewall use?

he actually used the 1st generation ultra so did Pancho Gonzales. before the ultra he used a slazenger frame like the blue & white one Virginia has, but with black & white photographs of rosewall & margaret court on bthe sides of the shaft. has to be the nicest looking wood racket I ever saw. the pro where I lived in reno,nv used it also. it was made in australia. rosewall used the ultra standard then the ultra II for a very long time. rosewall also used a seamco racket which I heard played very well, but looked cheap kinda like the wislon world class he used for a while. I hade to get an ultra II when I saw him play Anderson. how clean he hit the ball like the sweetspot was the size of an ocean ; just a greasy small black "dot" in the center of the stringbed.

plasma
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I miss those greasy dots, maybe a product of gut strings...???

AndrewD
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
The Ultra 2's are soo powerful, the ultra pws original is really the best stick for a player with classic tennis strokes.

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion it is the best racquet Wilson ever made and light years ahead of the PS 6.0 and PS 6.1

First time I saw an Ultra 'in the flesh' it was in the hands of a young American player who was part of US team that came out to Australia and competed in a number of McDonald's sponsored junior events. He had the Ultra, his partner had the POG OS and there I was, still swinging my Stellar Centre Court wood.

The kid with the Ultra - Ty Tucker: current coach of the Division 1 Ohio State Buckeyes men's tennis team
The kid with the POG OS - Andre Agassi: he did okay for himself as well.

Kirko
02-23-2009, 04:01 AM
just thinking the ultra II had to be the best graphite racket I ever used ! what comes close for me now is the K-88 sampras racket, done along the lines of the ultra II "stout & powerful" for its headsize.

Bud
02-23-2009, 04:26 AM
just thinking the ultra II had to be the best graphite racket I ever used ! what comes close for me now is the K-88 sampras racket, done along the lines of the ultra II "stout & powerful" for its headsize.

Thanks for this little tidbit.

I was wondering how the Ultra 2 compared to the current KPS88... as far as solidity and feel.

plasma
02-23-2009, 09:07 AM
kudos to wilson for keeping the graphics old school, the 88 is undoubtedly a cosmetic tribute to the ultra 2 mid...

Bud
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I miss those greasy dots, maybe a product of gut strings...???

Gut strings, dampness and wear over time. I notice when I play on a damp court (from fog)... the ball picks up a ton of court dirt and transfers it to my gut strings.

Colpo
02-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Terrific quiver, plasma. I was a big, big Ultra 2 head back in the old days. The mid was the flagship, Wilson rolling it out to both Tennis and World Tennis magazines for their reviews. Both reviews gushed over the power and stiffness - the power assessment has probably changed relative to today's frames, but you won't find a stiffer bat. Definitely not a topspinner's frame IMO because not whippy or torquey, but great for baseline slapping, volleys, and serves. 4.5 or better, please!

Note that the ugly wide throatpiece model was not the mid but the 1st gen. largehead. The mid always looked the same, except for Wilson dropping the plastic throat collar in the late 1980s. The largehead became a one-piece with yellow accenting first, then a one-piece with the same orange accenting of the mid.

My favorite was the standard. Lots of bells and whistles for a 70 sq. inch frame! The Krickstein frame!

Kirko
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I keep remembering guys who played it. Jim Pugh he later moved to the wilson profile mid.

tandayu
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I keep remembering guys who played it. Jim Pugh he later moved to the wilson profile mid.

Claudia Kohde Kichle (german), Manuela Maleeva, plus as mentioned above Krickstein, Pate, Mandlikova.

Kathy JOrdan, Annabel Croft, Gigi Fernandez, Zina Garrison

Kirko
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Claudia Kohde Kichle (german), Manuela Maleeva, plus as mentioned above Krickstein, Pate, Mandlikova.

she sure did !!!!!!!!!! you have good memory !

plasma
02-24-2009, 02:26 AM
don't forget my dear jaegermeister:
http://i42.tinypic.com/153v9lv.jpg

tandayu
02-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Did Andrea Jaeger use Ultra 2 as well?

I can only remember Mel Purcell and Jaeger used the original Ultra.

Kirko
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Did Andrea Jaeger use Ultra 2 as well?

I can only remember Mel Purcell and Jaeger used the original Ultra.

I don't think Jaeger used the ultra II she dropped out of tennis. I forgot about Purcell he reminded me of what huckleberry finn mighta looked like :)

Virginia
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
he actually used the 1st generation ultra so did Pancho Gonzales. before the ultra he used a slazenger frame like the blue & white one Virginia has, but with black & white photographs of rosewall & margaret court on bthe sides of the shaft. has to be the nicest looking wood racket I ever saw. the pro where I lived in reno,nv used it also. it was made in australia. rosewall used the ultra standard then the ultra II for a very long time. rosewall also used a seamco racket which I heard played very well, but looked cheap kinda like the wislon world class he used for a while. I hade to get an ultra II when I saw him play Anderson. how clean he hit the ball like the sweetspot was the size of an ocean ; just a greasy small black "dot" in the center of the stringbed.
Kirko, which incarnation of the Ultra II did Rosewall play with? I believe there's a "Standard" model as well as the err, standard model. I'm sure he wouldn't have played with the OS. BTW I have the Seamless Rosewall, the Seamco Rosewall and the Wilson World Class. The World Class is one of my favourite aluminiums - it looks so classy and elegant.

Keifers
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
What was the weight and balance of the Ultra 2?

Thanks.

Bud
02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
What was the weight and balance of the Ultra 2?

Thanks.

Which version?

JW10S
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I used the Ultra 2 back in the day. As far as I'm concerned it was a better racquet than the Pro Staff.

Keifers
02-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Which version?
Oops, I don't know the different versions...

Were the different Ultra 2s quite different in their weight and balance?

plasma
02-26-2009, 02:03 AM
ultra 2 was much more of a racquet than the ps 85. Just like the ps 85, 200g, R22 or f 200 though, its composition, design and beam width combined to create a perfect machine with its own unique characteristics and flavor. The wider beam and stronger overall structure gave an access to stability and power not found in the ps 85, the feel and response was also more true.

Virginia
02-26-2009, 03:57 AM
I'm still hoping that someone will tell me whether Rosewall used the Ultra II or the Ultra II Standard - please!

Do I have to go over to Sydney and ask him myself? ;)

Bud
02-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Oops, I don't know the different versions...

Were the different Ultra 2s quite different in their weight and balance?

Check out the first post, you can see the different versions of the U2. As far as the weight/balance, not sure if the built in PWS U2's were different than the U2's with the metal riveted PWS plates.

retrowagen
02-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm still hoping that someone will tell me whether Rosewall used the Ultra II or the Ultra II Standard - please!

I recall Ken Rosewall used the Ultra, which was only available as a Standard, and not the Ultra 2, which was available as a Standard, Midsize, or Oversize.

racquetfreak
02-26-2009, 09:22 AM
i am truly in awe of the collective memory exhibited here. although i love rackets, i only can "remember" which racket was used by who based on research and the memory of my TW collegues.
they should put the players pictures on the racket like they used to. oh, wait a minute, most of those models weren't used by the racket's namesake. if you can't trust the racket company, who can you trust? :shock:

Bud
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Peace and love be with you :lol:

Bud
02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I'll have to string up my original Ultra with NG and give her a whirl.

Kirko
02-26-2009, 03:20 PM

he used both.

Virginia
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
So Kirko, what you're saying is that he used the Ultra Standard, the Ultra II and the Ultra II Standard - I think I may have this wrong somehow. That seems too many Standards for a start! ;)

Kirko
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
So Kirko, what you're saying is that he used the Ultra Standard, the Ultra II and the Ultra II Standard - I think I may have this wrong somehow. That seems too many Standards for a start! ;)

I saw in person Rosewall use the old standard ultra (with the side-plates) to give PWS sensation and then some of the Best senior tennis I saw ever he used the midsized ultra II. it seeemed to really fit his style especially at his half century mark in age powerful & yet controlled. for that matter Pancho Gonzales used to the 1st generation ultra, last time I saw Gonzales play he was using the Prince Pro (black alu.) model.

roundiesee
02-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Guys, in those days if you saw a pro actually playing a certain racket, you can be sure it wasn't a paintjob of some other racket?

Virginia
02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
There is no way on earth that Ken Rosewall would use a paint job. With him, it's WYSIWYG!

Thanks Kirko for that clarification. Now all I have to do is find them!

Kirko
02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Guys, in those days if you saw a pro actually playing a certain racket, you can be sure it wasn't a paintjob of some other racket?

it was the real deal with Rosewall and Mal Anderson ; Anderson used the Yonex R-27 & the time I saw him play Rosewall he used the Dunlop 200G. as the ultra fit Rosewall the 200G was a "hand in glove" fit for Anderson. just think guys well into their fifties and hittting so so "clean". I was amazed at how well they traded groudstrokes.

roundiesee
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
it was the real deal with Rosewall and Mal Anderson ; Anderson used the Yonex R-27 & the time I saw him play Rosewall he used the Dunlop 200G. as the ultra fit Rosewall the 200G was a "hand in glove" fit for Anderson. just think guys well into their fifties and hittting so so "clean". I was amazed at how well they traded groudstrokes.

There is no way on earth that Ken Rosewall would use a paint job. With him, it's WYSIWYG!

Thanks Kirko for that clarification. Now all I have to do is find them!

Thanks for the info! Makes me wish that today's pros would have the same level of integrity. I think the last pro to repeatedly refuse a paintjob was Pete Sampras. I've heard that he kept playing the PS 85 without a contract until Wilson actually felt "bad" and offered him one.

plasma
02-26-2009, 11:45 PM
I like how connors rejected the ps 85 which was designed for him in favor of his t2000's. He put ads up in the back of papers and bought up a huge stock of t2000's. Decades before the PS 85 was synonymous with Sampras it was associated with Chris Evert and Jimbo. Wilson not producing a single 85 is a facist move! fight the pawa!

AndrewD
02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I saw in person Rosewall use the old standard ultra (with the side-plates) to give PWS sensation and then some of the Best senior tennis I saw ever he used the midsized ultra II.

Kirko,

Ken Rosewall was using a Wilson Ultra during a veterans event (America vs Australia) held here in Australia at the, then, newly opened National Tennis Centre. Would have been some time between 1988 and 1990.

Australian players were (again, those I remember), Tony Roche, John Newcombe, Ken Rosewall and - I think- Mal Anderson.
American players I can remember were Stan Smith, Bob Lutz and Tom Gorman. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the other American player was Marty Riessen.

If memory serves - Smith was using a Prince oversize, Lutz was using a Prince Magnesium (thought it was OS but not sure), Gorman was using either a Wilson or a Wimbledon (it was white -ceramic- and not a mid-size) and Riessen was using a Puma (Red and Blue model). Newcombe was using Prince OS (think it was one of the CTS line), Roche was using a Mizuno (black, their smallest head size: think it was 95sq-ish), Anderson was using a POGOS and Rosewall was using a Wilson Ultra.

AndrewD
02-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info! Makes me wish that today's pros would have the same level of integrity. I think the last pro to repeatedly refuse a paintjob was Pete Sampras. I've heard that he kept playing the PS 85 without a contract until Wilson actually felt "bad" and offered him one.

roudiesee,

I think that 'integrity' is going a bit too far. Pete's reason for refusing a paintjob was simply due to him being so particular about his racquets that he refused to have anything about them altered. That decision was made definite for him when the St.Vincent plant shut down and the stock he purchased all had the old decals on it. No way was he going to allow them to strip the paint off and re-paint them. Of course, if they'd continued to make racquets at the St.Vincent plant they could have painted them to look like whatever they wanted.

End of the day, he allowed the Wilson (who sponsored him in the early days) contract to lapse because the money they were willing to pay him to endorse a racquet that wasn't part of their premier range was negligible. What he lost in racquet endorsement he picked up in 'luggage' endorsement with Tacchini and then Nike (he used one of their duffle bags instead of a Wilson bag).

plasma
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
he also recouped on a few wimbledon singles Champioship paychecks. I'd say roundissee was very wise. I know pros rank 800 who try to pawn racquets to me constantly. Stepahanek has class though. He pays for his sticks...and apparently...its a good investment...

saigonbond 2.0
07-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Played with the Ultra 2 St. Vincent and the Ultra FPK when I was a kid.
Too bad I could never hit the rock like Krickstein and Mandlikova.
Definitely WMDs!

Arafel
07-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I bought another of the bay a few weeks ago, so now I have 5. If anyone wants to part with 4 3/8 ones in good condition, PM me.

zcarzach
07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I just found a Chicago Ultra 2 standard today. Has the old metal PWS plates riveted on. What looks to be the original leather grip. 4 1/4 size. Needs a string job but looks ready to be hit with. Might have to take her out this weekend! Also picked up a Prince CTS Graduate 110 with what looks to be a fresh Luxilon string job. Bought them both second hand, paid next to nothing.

Tennishacker
07-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow, I remember paying over $200 for those racquets.

gplracer
07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I used to play with the Ultra and then the Ultra II as a junior. I still have the original Ultra. I really liked playing with those.

max
07-14-2011, 05:07 AM
Wow, I remember paying over $200 for those racquets.

The extreme price back then, compared to other frames, kept me from buying one.

What a bad *** racquet! I found it amazing to hit with, when I had the chance.

giokkk67
07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I bought another of the bay a few weeks ago, so now I have 5. If anyone wants to part with 4 3/8 ones in good condition, PM me.

Hi Arafel,
I can't PM you because I've not reached 50 post al least in order to PM.
If you want you can contact me by email

giovannitramacere(at)yahoo(dot)it

Tennis Man
08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Anyone remembers the exact specs for Ultra 2 St Vincent?

Mine weighs around 360g strung and has a sticker 65-70lb in the throat.

retrowagen
08-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Exact specs:
Weight: Heavy
Stiffness: Immense
Balance: Yes
Swingweight: Don't Let Go Of It

Hope that helps! :)

Arafel
08-02-2011, 02:02 PM

From Wood Tennis:

Head Size:
85 sq. in. / 548 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 13oz / 369g
Balance: 6pts Head Light
Swingweight: 357
Stiffness: 71
Beam Width: Constant Taper Beam 25 mm - 18 mm
Composition: Braided Graphite with Boron
Power Level: Low
Swing Speed: Fast
Grip Type: Leather Fairway
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 18 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T,9T,7H,9H
One Piece
No shared holes

Tennis Man
08-02-2011, 04:57 PM
From Wood Tennis:

Head Size:
85 sq. in. / 548 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 13oz / 369g
Balance: 6pts Head Light
Swingweight: 357
Stiffness: 71
Beam Width: Constant Taper Beam 25 mm - 18 mm
Composition: Braided Graphite with Boron
Power Level: Low
Swing Speed: Fast
Grip Type: Leather Fairway
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 18 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T,9T,7H,9H
One Piece
No shared holes

Thank you.

Tennis Man
08-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Exact specs:
Weight: Heavy
Stiffness: Immense
Balance: Yes
Swingweight: Don't Let Go Of It

Hope that helps! :)

No wonder I couldn't handle it well before. I recently found a decent hitting partner and tried many of my racquets against him over the last couple of months with mixed results. When I got to the U2, I almost bageled the guy. :)

The racquet is scalpel-sharp and very well balanced. I had it string with BB Alu Rough at around 50 lb and it was like a magic wand. It seems a bit smaller than 85 sq inch. I put it over my SP85 and you can tell the different. U2 is about 80 sq inch.

siucbasser
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
hello all -

so instead of starting a whole new thread on the same subject racquet, id just bring this one back from the dead...

i just found an Ultra 2 (of a 7.5/10 quality IMO) at the local goodwill, and after a quick **** search finding that these old racquets are worth a considerable amount of money, i decided to spend the little money it cost.

now being that i am just starting out in tennis (registered for a tennis class for my last university semester to start me off in the right direction)

i took it out to play with it yesterday, and it seemed alright, but maybe produced a little bit more power than i expected even with little power of swing.

so would it be suggested that i
-maybe try and sell this racquet to pay for a considerably newer racquet (if it is actually worth any considerable amount)
-keep the racquet and learn with it
-keep the racquet, buy a cheap starter racquet, and move into this Ultra 2 later on

And if i decided to sell this raquet, what information can you guys tell me as to the factory origin/price i could get for such an item?
(pictures below)

I myself am very interested in starting off into this sport right, and appreciate any insite you all can provide.

THANKS!

a little about the racquet quality (all shown in pictures) -
-only major scratches if any at all are on the top of the head/frame where it would have rubbed against the ground (but these only seem to be minor rash compared to others ive seen)
-only one grommet among them all looks bent out (idk if thats the right word to describe it?)
-string seems to be in very good condition with no apparent flaws
-frame overall (besides top of head as mentioned) is without warping, scratches, dents, or marks (besides one small dent on the top right of the face as some may be able to see in the picture)
-grip is very much intact, with only wear seeming to be discoloration of the leather from extended use of an over-grip which was on the racquet when i bought it.
(if any more information/pictures are needed to better judge the quality/price/origin of this item, id be glad to add)

also, i am limited to 4 pictures, so for more, click the links included at the bottom (9 total pictures)

http://i.imgur.com/RAHY7TKl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Avf2NVsl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZRub6S3l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5uNFEiPl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wM8SpESl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/T0QfWKal.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8fCyuAal.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2jMTq3Ml.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gPHfUaol.jpg

Hannah19
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
^^^ Sell it....should be worth some money to the right person.
It should fetch an easy $100.00....!!
Is it a St Vincent??

siucbasser
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm not really sure where it was made, I hoped someone could clear this up, as the guide I've seen is unclear

Hannah19
01-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Is there a 3 letter code on the buttcap?
It's sometimes hard to see but if it has a "Q" in it, it's a St Vincent and therefor more valuable.

giokkk67
01-31-2013, 04:51 AM
It's nice find. It's second generation U2 made in ST Vincent. If you want to sell or trade it let me know. ;)

Actually it's not a Saint Vincent,this is a "in the middle production" ULTRA2.
It is the last batch of ULTRA2 made in Chicago before the factory moved to W.I.

No grip collar (like the future SV) with black cap and string tension 65-70 lbs.
First SV had white cap and string tension 55-65 lbs,late SV 50-60 lbs,the code written on the grommet set is 22D-1229 .

Hope it helps,

Giovanni

Tennis Man
01-31-2013, 05:08 AM
Actually it's not a Saint Vincent,this is a "in the middle production" ULTRA2.
It is the last batch of ULTRA2 made in Chicago before the factory moved to W.I.

No grip collar (like the future SV) with black cap and string tension 65-70 lbs.
First SV had white cap and string tension 55-65 lbs,late SV 50-60 lbs,the code written on the grommet set is 22D-1229 .

Hope it helps,

Giovanni

Thta's a very valuable piece of information. I actually didn't catch the black butt cap. My favorite version by far is St Vincent, with the white butt cap and without collar. I would always pay a premium for it.

giokkk67
01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Thta's a very valuable piece of information. I actually didn't catch the black butt cap. My favorite version by far is St Vincent, with the white butt cap and without collar. I would always pay a premium for it.

The siucbasser's ULTRA2 is a rare version,a sort of "prototype" of the next ULTRA2 Saint Vincent.

I agree with You Tennis Man,the ULTRA2 Saint Vincent is amazing,especially the latest model (the one with the "R" trademark over the frame and on the butt cap),a bit lighter (340-345g) compared to the Chicago version (349-357g),more wieldy but with the same solid feel and power.

One of the greatest frame ever, same level of the Pro Staff Saint Vincent in my opinion.

Tennis Man
02-01-2013, 05:05 AM
The siucbasser's ULTRA2 is a rare version,a sort of "prototype" of the next ULTRA2 Saint Vincent.

I agree with You Tennis Man,the ULTRA2 Saint Vincent is amazing,especially the latest model (the one with the "R" trademark over the frame and on the butt cap),a bit lighter (340-345g) compared to the Chicago version (349-357g),more wieldy but with the same solid feel and power.

One of the greatest frame ever, same level of the Pro Staff Saint Vincent in my opinion.

I just wish they had a bumper guard. It's so hard to keep them from scuffing on the top.

struggle
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Just saw an old-timer, i'd guess 75 plus YO taking it to some young bucks with his Ultra 2 yesterday.

Good stuff.

max
02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
You know, it's funny, but out of the blue, I was thinking of the Ultra 2 last night. Just remembering how nice and solid it felt.

Avles
02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I found an Ultra 2 mid at the thrift store today. :)

max
02-15-2013, 12:48 AM
I found an Ultra 2 mid at the thrift store today. :)

Avles, I say this with no animus, but you, my friend, ARE a lucky *******!

. . . what I would give to have one fall into my hands!

ENJOY!

burn1986
12-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I played with an Ultra 2 and the Ultra 2 OS. I dont ever remember playing well with the Ultra 2. Looking back, I think it was just too heavy for me. I would like to find one now. How cool would that be to start playing with it at the club. I would probably have it strung around 50 lbs though, maybe even 48 or 49.

Knife
12-19-2013, 05:06 AM

Such a nice frame, lovely simple graphics. That matte black colour with the orange stripes is so beautiful and time-less. Much cooler than the Pro Staff org I played myself(Edberg-fan!) Never got to try the Ultra 2, I regret that...

mhkeuns
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Loved the racquet to death... I'm getting old and just couldn't handle the weight anymore. Honestly, after playing with the Ultra 2 for a while (*previous racquet was the St. Vincent Pro Staff 85 which I loved but didn't compare in power against the Ultra 2), I had a hard time adjusting to the new racquets. They all felt flimsy. Such a solid racquet. Probably one of the best ever made. Just wish I was a good enough player to play with the stick. Loved the tennis ball crushing "THWAK" sound it made.