PDA

View Full Version : In Dubs Which Do You Like?

Melissa
02-15-2009, 11:18 AM
With a rightie and a leftie teamed together which alignment do you think is most beneficial assuming no particular backhand/forehand weaknesses for either player?
Leftie in the deuce court or ad court? 4.0+ levels.

JavierLW
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
With a rightie and a leftie teamed together which alignment do you think is most beneficial assuming no particular backhand/forehand weaknesses for either player?

If most of the servers like to serve down the T more at that level then Id say forehands in the middle.

In the lower levels I think it's different sometimes because there are a ton of players who still serve out wide most of the time so you run into situations where the team cant return as well.

Plus even if someone is equally as good on either side, they probably cant hit an overhead equally as good on either side.

Melissa
02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Hmmm. We will have to think about that.

TonyB
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I can't answer your question, other than to say that when I'm playing AGAINST a lefty and righty combination, I typically do better when the lefty is in the deuce court (forehands in the middle).

I play the deuce court and my crosscourt forehand always overpowers their backhand. Also, my slice serve out wide to the deuce court just kills them. Either my partner picks off their return or if the lefty hits a wide return, it's usually up high to my forehand so I can volley down strongly towards the netman.

When I play against a lefty in the ad court, their crosscourt returns to my backhand side (when serving to the ad court) are brutal.

Also, lobs to the corners go to their forehand side if the lefty is in the ad court. And that's where most lobs tend to go. Rarely do high balls go down the middle.

So if I had a lefty as a partner (being a righty myself), I'd probably put them in the ad court. Aside from middle backhand returns (which aren't that difficult to hit against servers at the 4.0 level), everything else is better.

Geezer Guy
02-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm sure there's pros and cons both ways, but it seems like whenever I play with a lefty he always wants us to have our forehands in the middle.

jbetti
02-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I understand the advantage to having forehands in the middle, particularly for poaching, however I still like putting forehands on the edges. It's easier to take advantage of the righty/lefty spins and pull your opponent off the court.

I play 4.0 and sometimes fill in at 4.5, by the way. I figure I should mention it because I think the level of play makes a difference in this debate.

Cruzer
02-15-2009, 05:16 PM

I think it really depends on the doubles team. I am left handed and depending on my partner will play either side. There are pros and cons to either alignment. My wife loves the ad side so I play the duece side. A guy I play doubles with loves the duece side as he says I can hit wide serves up the line much easier from from the ad side. There is no right or wrong way to lay with a rightie and a lefty. Don't the Bryans play forehands in the middle?

TonyB
02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Don't the Bryans play forehands in the middle?

Yes, they do. But Danny Nestor always plays the ad court, and he's been on several top teams (including #1 last season) over the past decade or so.

Michael Llodra also plays the ad court as a lefty.

In fact, I think it's actually more unusual to see the lefty in the deuce court, although I have no facts to back that up.

randomname
02-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Mcenroe took the ad side too

fuzz nation
02-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Someone mentioned that the Bryans switched their forehands to the middle a few years ago, but I never heard any commentary on just why.

I think that a smart consideration when you're confronted with choosing a lefty/righty alignment is to avoid putting one of the players where they feel like they're at a big disadvantage. That way, the pairing may be a lot less likely to donate too may points.

And hey, if it doesn't go so well one way, you can just switch it up after a set, right?

Nellie
02-16-2009, 07:50 AM
When I see forehands down the middle, I start lobbing to the corners to force tough overheads.

LuckyR
02-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Forehands in the middle leads to more frequent poaching opportunities to the forehand (off of great returns). This can be minimal or huge depending on your team's aggressiveness.

jefferson
02-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I am a lefty who plays mainly doubs. I always play the ad side. I am more comfortable. I usually get forehand returns. Sometimes I play people who serve up the tee and I hit backhand. You have to be able to return from both wings. I find that most players rely on a wide serve and keep going there. Or maybe they are just plain stubborn about it. Bit I can tell you that for every 1 backhand return I hit 3 forehand returns.
I am sure that there are pro and cons to both, but the ad side seems to work for me. I am a 4.5 player.

eagle
02-17-2009, 07:44 AM
I always ask the stronger player to be on the ad side whether he is a lefty or righty.

You want the stronger player to have the best shot at closing out a break especially in crucial points.

My 2 cents.

r,
eagle

Jim A
02-17-2009, 08:06 AM
unless someone has a glaring weakness on one side of the court, the best player should always be on the ad side

raiden031
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I would say forehands in the middle, here are my pros and cons:

Pros
----
If they serve wide, the backhand cross-court return is much easier than the inside-out backhand.
Easier to poach and hit effective volleys on the forehand side.
Easier to keep weak lobs contained to your forehand side when forehands in the middle.

Cons
-----
If they serve down the T, the inside-out forehand is more difficult then if you were returning cross-court (still easier than inside-out backhand though).

raiden031
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
unless someone has a glaring weakness on one side of the court, the best player should always be on the ad side

Except the deuce side serve down the T to a rightly is the most difficult return in doubles. My philosophy is to put the weakest person on the side they feel most comfortable playing.

A righty will probably prefer the ad side because of the forehand to the middle and the easier return of serve. At least thats been my experience in mixed where they usually prefer the ad side if I give them the option.

bleach
02-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm a lefty and always play the ad side. My forehand crosscourt return is too big of a weapon not to play that way. I rarely see any disadvantage to playing the ad side.

Fay
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I always ask the stronger player to be on the ad side whether he is a lefty or righty.

You want the stronger player to have the best shot at closing out a break especially in crucial points.

eagle

I totally agree with this. But try to get some men in social mixed doubles to play ad and they don't seem to get it. I always want the stronger person, regardless of handedness, in the ad court.

spot
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I think at 4.5 then I think most serves go down the middle and having forehands in the middle is the way to go. At 4.0 I still think that most of the time you have an easier time attacking with serves out wide- letting the opponents serve out wide to the backhand on both sides is too much of an advantage so I would put the forehands on the outside.

I think its ridiculous to worry about putting the better player on Ad- all that matters is which configuration you will do better on return of serve.

DANMAN
02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
I play 5.0 and can tell you it is very tough to play a strong team with two forehands in the middle. Any lobs must be to the corners, passes going after the backhand volley have to go over the high part of the net (though at 5.0 most can knife the backhand short angle so the low ball to the middle is still better). I am right handed and play the ad side, opening up several more shots for me such as the inside out forehand dipper into the ad alley on the other side as well as the short angle backhand. If I can get around the ball and set up for a forehand, from the position I can hit crosscourt, DTL, short angle, down the middle, or topspin lob. All poaching opportunites are on forehands in return games as well.

larry10s
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I would say forehands in the middle, here are my pros and cons:

Pros
----
If they serve wide, the backhand cross-court return is much easier than the inside-out backhand.
Easier to poach and hit effective volleys on the forehand side.
Easier to keep weak lobs contained to your forehand side when forehands in the middle.

Cons
-----
If they serve down the T, the inside-out forehand is more difficult then if you were returning cross-court (still easier than inside-out backhand though). inside out backhand return of serve very tough shot go with forehands in the middle

mikeler
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I play 5.0 too and definitely prefer the ad side with my forehand down the middle. Hitting those inside out backhand returns against big servers is really tough. I'm much better at returning off my backhand cross court. So my vote would be for forehands in the middle.

NetMaster70
02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Obviously there's no right or wrong answer here. I like forehands down the middle because to makes overheads easier _ fewer lobs to the backhand side.

Midlife crisis
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
My son and I are playing 8.0 doubles in a tournament right now and as two singles players with limited doubles expertise, we find it stronger to play forehands in. As singles players, our toughest shot is to hit a reverse backhand low and away enough to prevent getting poached, which was always a problem when we played forehands out. Because we return stronger on both sides with forehands in, we also have our stronger side to poach on the second shots. Pretty much this single thing has made us decide to play this way.

What is worse is both of us are much better volleying low balls on the backhand, and playing forehands in means we get more low forehand volleys. We're also both better playing sharply angled forehand volleys and we don't get those playing forehands in.

We don't notice lobs being a problem at the 8.0 level. We're both able to hit a conventional overhead on any higher lob that is not in the alley and that's maybe one out of five at most.

fe6250
02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Forehands down the middle is usually my choice. I can't tell you how many times the ball up the middle gets the famous 'yours' call! ;-)