PDA

View Full Version : Head Graphite Director & Edge

Kal-El 34
02-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Don't know much about these frames. Are they collectible, worth anything, or JUNK? HA

plasma
02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
the edge is regarded by pro players and racquet experts as one of the greatest frames of all time. I would love one in 4 3/8. although they sell for pennies on the bay they are far better than frames manufactured today...about as far from junk as you can get actually.....made with thick coarse strands of graphite, not the junk they call "graphite" which is in todays "top" racquets....

tandayu
02-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Don't know much about these frames. Are they collectible, worth anything, or JUNK? HA

if I see one Grap Director in very good condition, I always buy it. Not popular, but it was one expensive frame back in 80s, Head wanted to rival POG. Grap Director is one nice stable hefty frame, and it is thin beam ( 17 or 19mm do not remember)

I have seen some minor variations, noticably different paint quality, grommet, etc.

Bud
02-15-2009, 04:55 PM
if I see one Grap Director in very good condition, I always buy it. Not popular, but it was one expensive frame back in 80s, Head wanted to rival POG. Grap Director is one nice stable hefty frame, and it is thin beam ( 17 or 19mm do not remember)

I have seen some minor variations, noticably different paint quality, grommet, etc.

The Composite Directors are nice, too :)

Kal-El 34
02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
ight well i got them both in 4 and 3/8 grip in near mint.. i guess not bad then haha

tandayu
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
The Composite Directors are nice, too :)

and I also like the look of TXD, looks like carbonfiber theme

Bud
02-15-2009, 08:48 PM
and I also like the look of TXD, looks like carbonfiber theme

Yup... same 'graph papery' look to it... like Plaz (or another TT member) mentioned in another thread.

plasma
02-15-2009, 09:23 PM
was the graphite pro a midsize head edge? size wize it falls between the director and the edge. With regards to composition though, which 89.5 clones the manufacturing and materials of the edge if any???...the night rider computer matrix micro graph on the txe was badass for its day..
http://i40.tinypic.com/nbeow.jpg
"get me the txe, Kit...I see some hackers!"

anirut
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
plasma,

It's Knight Rider and KITT ... just to pick on you ... J/K of course ... haha

So, it's about 80's rackets and 80's TV shows, right?

plasma
02-15-2009, 11:48 PM
I played two txe's for a couple of years, solid racquets; stiff, but no vibration or shock... I just remember the txe cosmetics from the late 80's which were radical for their time, it had this space age techno buck rogers Night Rider digital feel. Quite appropriate since the racquet was so stiff and powerful and modern. No shock or vibration though, really a superb racquet, hopefully I'll get one soon as 85's have a bit too much pop and range
http://i44.tinypic.com/iep05z.jpg
head graphite tour (81 sq. in. even stiffer than the txe!)
how did manufacturers stop making the 81s? unlike the 85s you could take haymaker cuts at the ball and it would stay in? for that matter how did they stop making 85's? It's clear that this forum needs to expand into an ashram/ micro colony. We'll live off the grid; off the land, under the radar; we'll grow our own organic crops and manufacture our own high quality 85's with SV specs! The men will forge for graphite, our wives will do the stringing; but they'll also be the backbone of our colony, designing the molds and graphics! who's with me? (besides Bud, of course)!

Virginia
02-16-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm with you, plasma. I won't be much good at being a wife though, as I can't string! LOL

plasma
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
unless Deuce would rather have the title, I knight Virginia the racquet colony queen!
http://i39.tinypic.com/2ugmcm8.jpg

Bud
02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
was the graphite pro a midsize head edge? size wize it falls between the director and the edge. With regards to composition though, which 89.5 clones the manufacturing and materials of the edge if any???...the night rider computer matrix micro graph on the txe was badass for its day..
http://i40.tinypic.com/nbeow.jpg
"get me the txe, Kit...I see some hackers!"

Lol! Nice jeans :roll:

plasma
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
yes, the jacket is "members only"...gues he put it on AND "sumthin happens 2 u!" I still recall jingles from 20 year old ads, sorry

jorel
02-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Don Hightower (prez of TW) used to use the Director

Bud
02-17-2009, 05:25 AM
I played two txe's for a couple of years, solid racquets; stiff, but no vibration or shock... I just remember the txe cosmetics from the late 80's which were radical for their time, it had this space age techno buck rogers Night Rider digital feel. Quite appropriate since the racquet was so stiff and powerful and modern. No shock or vibration though, really a superb racquet, hopefully I'll get one soon as 85's have a bit too much pop and range
how did manufacturers stop making the 81s? unlike the 85s you could take haymaker cuts at the ball and it would stay in? for that matter how did they stop making 85's? It's clear that this forum needs to expand into an ashram/ micro colony. We'll live off the grid; off the land, under the radar; we'll grow our own organic crops and manufacture our own high quality 85's with SV specs! The men will forge for graphite, our wives will do the stringing; but they'll also be the backbone of our colony, designing the molds and graphics! who's with me? (besides Bud, of course)!

:lol::lol::lol:

roundiesee
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Plasma, your ideas are getting too dangerous! LOL! :)

plasma
02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
the very first racquet-colony members will be rewarded with new ps 85's. All I need is 2 or 3 initial members to sign over their life savings. This will be to secure the lands for the tennis courts, permaculture homes, and a geodesic dome which will mark the center of our village, the dome will contain free fairways, peebax CAP grommets, VS gut, and original foam dampeners.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2ighg0n.jpg
All we need initially is the land, a few dozen hippie chicks, and 84 fully grown tigers....I'll try to explain later. The initial moneys donated will also be used to buy up the reamining deadstock ps 85's, trek font prestige classics, etc. We will catalouge, review and collect the greatest remaining vintage frames in the world. Hippie chicks can be flown in to work on the organic farm and provide needed companionship for the men who will forge for graphite and Boron. The tigers will be used to protect THE PERIMITER of our 2 mile micro colony from unwelcome intruders. Polygamy will be legal in our colony, and plasma indeed plans to have several wives! (female members of the tribe may have several husbands if they wish as discrimination will not exist in racquetteville.) Once a year we'll draw straws to see who heads to the forbidden zone (real world) for a week to restock on fairway grips, awls, and lead tape....

it will be tough going at first but I beleive we can do it. After a delightful introductory luncheon honoring the esteemed forum member known as "Deuce" as well as the wise executives who decided to stop production of the ps 85 and replace it with the 88;refreshing Kool Aid will be offered to our honored guests. It is customary that guests drink the Kool Aid, we insist...

whos with me...????

http://i43.tinypic.com/4zzuf.jpg
daily vintage racquet sermon by Reverened Plasma...

jimbo333
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
the very first racquet-colony members will be rewarded with new ps 85's. All I need is 2 or 3 initial members to sign over their life savings. This will be to secure the lands for the tennis courts, permaculture homes, and a geodesic dome which will mark the center of our village, the dome will contain free fairways, peebax CAP grommets, VS gut, and original foam dampeners.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2ighg0n.jpg
All we need initially is the land, a few dozen hippie chicks, and 84 fully grown tigers....I'll try to explain later. The initial moneys donated will also be used to buy up the reamining deadstock ps 85's, trek font prestige classics, etc. We will catalouge, review and collect the greatest remaining vintage frames in the world. Hippie chicks can be flown in to work on the organic farm and provide needed companionship for the men who will forge for graphite and Boron. The tigers will be used to protect THE PERIMITER of our 2 mile micro colony from unwelcome intruders. Polygamy will be legal in our colony, and plasma indeed plans to have several wives! (female members of the tribe may have several husbands if they wish as discrimination will not exist in racquetteville.) Once a year we'll draw straws to see who heads to the forbidden zone (real world) for a week to restock on fairway grips, awls, and lead tape....

it will be tough going at first but I beleive we can do it. After a delightful introductory luncheon honoring the esteemed forum member known as "Deuce" as well as the wise executives who decided to stop production of the ps 85 and replace it with the 88;refreshing Kool Aid will be offered to our honored guests. It is customary that guests drink the Kool Aid, we insist...

whos with me...????

http://i43.tinypic.com/4zzuf.jpg
daily vintage racquet sermon by Reverened Plasma...

LOL!!!

We all are Plasma, just too shy to say:)

When I say all, I'm sure someone's gonna disagree, or maybe not:)

pshulam
02-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Is the graphite edge similar to the competition edge Arthur Ashe Graphite? I heard that it has similar feel as the PS 6.0 85.

plasma
02-21-2009, 10:50 AM
no. the older arthur ashe models did not have the same flex and feel as the graphite edge. The graphite edge, 200g, F200, R22, and ps 85 are respected as the top classic 80's frames. They all have a flexible but stiff feel due to the high quality graphite used durring production. Some of the models mentioned go for well under 50, some go for well over 1,000, but they all play at the same superior level, escpecially compared with todays crap...

pshulam
02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
The graphite edge, 200g, F200, R22, and ps 85 are respected as the top classic 80's frames.
Are these the rackets to which you are referring?
Yonex R-22
Rossignol F200
Dunlop max 200g
Head graphite edge
Wilson Prostaff 6.0 85 original

pshulam
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
One more racket - how about the Wilson Ultra 2?

plasma
02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
there is a seperate thread for the ultra 2. It is sublime. It's the prostaffs father, slower stronger, smarter and more honest.
More thoughts about the edge: I picked up my buddies edge today. Even stiffer than the prostaff I was using. A beautiful racquet. It made me think that the txe was not that much stiffer than the edge, just different like the gtx pro-t compared to the pro.
http://www.racquetresearch.com/sevencri.htm