PDA

View Full Version : 1hb Or 2hb

Liv3 For It
02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Which Is better? A one handed backhand or a two handed backhand, and tell why.

Many people will say that it depends, but list the pros and cons. See which has more.

Petekbladetour1
02-15-2009, 11:57 AM
i think that the 2hhanded is better. you get more controll and power with it. the only advantage of the 1hander is more spin

OvertheFence
02-15-2009, 12:00 PM
1HBH:
usually takes longer to master than 2h
better for all court/ serve volley type
more mobile than 2HBH
easier to perform w bad footwork than 2H
easier to hit good angles
hard to hit high balls ( in my opinion)

2HBH:
usually easier to master than 1HBH
usually stronger
u need good footwork
good for highballs

(add anything that i missed :P)

Liv3 For It
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I know that the one-handed is harder for high balls. (Federer vs. Nadal) but not that many people can put that much topspin on their shots to hop that high, right?

I know that the 2 handed is easier and that it has more control but it feels like the one handed would get more power because you can whip it, right?

Fay
02-15-2009, 12:10 PM
1HBH:
more mobile than 2HBH

2HBH:
usually stronger
u need good footwork
good for highballs

1-H BH - fairly easy to master if swinging from low to hit into the net near the post about 2 -3 feet away as a drill

I find it very easy to hit high balls with 1-H, I would never be able to hit a high ball with 2-H -- body too bound up to swing freely

2-H much stronger, but ball must be within narrower range (waist high) to be over net and keep in court

2-H works great at net against people who play really hard ... was watching matches this weekend and high level women players who face very tough hard-hitting male opponents (mixed doubles) used the 2-H at net with awesome success. (maybe men don't have that problem) --

as far as foot work I found that weight transference much more critical with the 1-H BH, but if body positioning and weight transfer good, 1-H can be very flexible as far as placing the ball

because I can hit the 2-H so much harder I have tried to learn it and use it in a match ... invariably I revert to a 1-H because it is so much more natural for me. If I can decide upon a top spin or slice after the ball bounces, I figured I could decide if the ball was going to bounce waist high ( or be able to get myself in position to hit it waist high ) , but under the pressure of a match I cannot pull it off. 1-H BH prevails for me, but both are good shots. I am going to try to find a way to mix in the 2-H BH as it can be quite the weapon.

my 2 cents

Liv3 For It
02-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Currently i use the two handed, but I feel as if I could do better with a one handed. I am not getting the clean feeling and power that I think I should be getting.

Is it worth it to switch to the 1HB or just try and change the 2HB?

blue12
02-15-2009, 12:18 PM
2 handers are much better for returning and hitting cross court.
They are also better against heavy topspin.
The only advantage that I know of a one hander is that you can get a little better reach coming in to the net and on wide balls.

Very few players if any have had one handed topspin backhands as weapons, but there are many who have had 2 handers as weapons!

blue12
02-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Currently i use the two handed, but I feel as if I could do better with a one handed. I am not getting the clean feeling and power that I think I should be getting.

Is it worth it to switch to the 1HB or just try and change the 2HB?

A 2 hander will never feel as free as a one hander. I use a 2h top and one handed slice. I can hit a 1h topspin also though. I hit two on my forehand also though, which most people say is crazy, but I move much better with 2 hands!
Plus I just like it!

I would stick with the 2h and work on the 1h on on the side.
That being said some people are just meant to hit one handed topspin b-hands.
It's certainly a much prettier shot!!

dherring
02-15-2009, 02:04 PM
the technique for a two-hander is much simpler and easier to learn and the shot is overall more reliable, im not saying OHBHs are bad, thats just meh opinion

Geezer Guy
02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I think after a beginner plays a short time, they tend to choose the one that just "feels" right to them. They may change over time, or they may not.
I think it's just a personal preference - people are born to like it one way or the other, and the other way just feels unnatural.

Liv3 For It
02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I think i might just try to fix my 2HB. It seems simpler. What about a left handed forehand? Does anyone do this? (im right handed)

Fay
02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
What about a left handed forehand? Does anyone do this? (im right handed)

I tried it for a few months to let my right elbow heal up ... very difficult. I also made myself learn to serve L-H ... abandoned it at my first opportunity, LOL. Bravo for Rafa, but too hard for me.

crystal_clear
02-15-2009, 03:36 PM
1HBH topspin looks cool~

BullDogTennis
02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
1HBH:
more mobile than 2HBH

2HBH:
usually stronger
u need good footwork
good for highballs

1. 2 handed is alot easier to master.
2. 1 handed is dang near impossible to hit with bad footwork.

Liv3 For It
02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
So which is better?

oneguy21
02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
So which is better?

Oh God...this is probably one of the most debated issues here.
Experiment with both and see which one suits you better. There is no "better" backhand.

Ballinbob
02-15-2009, 05:22 PM
depends on your style which one is better.

I'm a topspin monkey, so a onehanded backhand made sense to me for the increased spin. I have a full western forehand grip and a semi- western backhand grip, so I hit loads of spin. As a result, I end up having longer rallies. This suits my game because I'm really fit and like to outlast my opponent.

So to find out which one is better, we need to know your type/style of play. Are you aggressive, do you S&V alot, are you fit...? ect ect.

This will help us choose a backhand for you

eeytennis
02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
i think that the 2hhanded is better. you get more controll and power with it. the only advantage of the 1hander is more spin

The spin and the reach. But even with those two pros I would never teach a one-hander. Two hander has more power and depth.

BullDogTennis
02-15-2009, 06:15 PM
^^^^

thats completely how your game works.

for me i hit with more power and pace and spin and depth with a one hander. and have a lot more control.

FOR me 1 hand is better.

FOR you im not sure.

and with a one hander you get to use a slice more. which can be a very good thing, of course you can use it with a 2 hander to, but its not gonna be a suprise AT ALL

mdjenders
02-15-2009, 11:10 PM
as much as i would like a two hander for more stability in fast paced rallies, i prefer the one hander for greater reach. as a shorter player, this is extremely important for me.

Liv3 For It
02-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Oh God...this is probably one of the most debated issues here.
Experiment with both and see which one suits you better. There is no "better" backhand.

There must be a better backhand? Which has more pros and less cons? thats the better one.

Djokovicfan4life
02-16-2009, 09:03 AM
There must be a better backhand? Which has more pros and less cons? thats the better one.

Dude, come on. If one really was better then we'd have scientific studies explaining it by now. Just learn both PROPERLY and decide for yourself which one is right for you.

Matt

BullDogTennis
02-16-2009, 09:17 AM

theres a better backhand for me. and there may be a better backhand for you. pros for me, may be cons to you. its all how you play. whats better a blonde headed girl, or a brunette girl? its all what works for you.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-16-2009, 09:53 AM
1 handers are IMO better for disguising a drop shot or a slice.

^^^^^ I like redheads http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp289/SLASH_N_DASH/quagmire.gif

Liv3 For It
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
i like brunettes

oneguy21
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Your question is like asking which is better - apples or oranges? Everyone has a different opinion.

BullDogTennis
02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
see there ya go, the redheaded guy has no backhand.
and since you picked brunettes it means your gay.

ok seriosly, do you get what we're sayin there is no set in stone better backhand. joe likes 1 handed, bob likes 2 hands, which is better? the one they use is better.

Djokovicfan4life
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I use a three handed backhand. I'm a real trend setter.

aimr75
02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I use a three handed backhand. I'm a real trend setter.

sheeva would be one up on you

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Galaxy/2153/images/t_sheeva.gif

BreakPoint
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
2 handers are much better for returning and hitting cross court.
They are also better against heavy topspin.
The only advantage that I know of a one hander is that you can get a little better reach coming in to the net and on wide balls.

Very few players if any have had one handed topspin backhands as weapons, but there are many who have had 2 handers as weapons!
Gasquet, Haas, Federer, Gaudio, Pavel, Blake, Wawrinka, Kohlschreiber, Pioline, Lendl, Laver, etc., etc., the list is endless.

BTW, there are many more advantages 1HBH's have over 2HBH's but you have to be able to hit a competent 1HBH to know what they are. Ever see a 2HBH player try to hit an approach shot off a low ball that lands close to the net? Clumsy to say the least, and that's if they don't trip over their own feet first. There's a very good reason why Federer hits those short angled slice backhands into the ad service box when he plays 2HBH players. :)

Liv3 For It
02-17-2009, 02:12 AM
yeah, but ..

Blake0
02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd say one handed backhand because i can't hit a 2 handed backhand for some reason.

Pros of onehanded:more variety, easier to develop one handed slice, easier to hit angles, and gets power from weight transfer.

cons: harder to learn, must hit it out in front of your body to be effective, must have good timing and footwork, most of the power comes from weight transfer ( so no weight transfer = bad shot).

The main reason, from my point of view, the one handed backhand is harder to learn is because you must hit it out in front of your body, and the power should come from weight transfer and not rotation. This requires good timing and footwork.

LeeD
02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, 1 hander for me...
I'm slow, need the 1/2 step each way.
I"m lazy, don't want to employ both wings.
I'm into tennis as an "art"form.
But... are you the same?

Jay_The_Nomad
02-18-2009, 08:01 AM
1HBH:
more mobile than 2HBH

:confused:

I'm the exact opposite.

I suppose its true in the sense that with a 1hbh, you have better reach and you can get to those wide angled shots.

But what i've found is that if I'm in position, it is much easier for me to find the angles with a 2hbh rather than a 1hbh.

Golden Retriever
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Scientifically, you get more weight behind a 2HBH. Scientifically, you get more stability from 2 hands. Also, scientifically, you can do more with your wrists with a 2HBH, hence the more acute angles you get from 2handers. Heck, but scientists are not good tennis players are they?

akoni
02-18-2009, 01:46 PM

the pros and cons will be different for every single player. thats why if you're curious and considering a switch you need to try it out for yourself and see what suits you.

BreakPoint
02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Scientifically, you get more weight behind a 2HBH. Scientifically, you get more stability from 2 hands. Also, scientifically, you can do more with your wrists with a 2HBH, hence the more acute angles you get from 2handers. Heck, but scientists are not good tennis players are they?
Huh? Could you please provide said "scientific" analysis then, please?

It's easier to hit angles with a 1HBH because you hit the ball further out in front of your body and also because it's easier to accelerate through the shot and also follow-through with a whip of your arm and wrist flick.

If you were going to slap someone's face with the back of your hand, do you think it's easier to do it with one hand or with both hands together?

soyizgood
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
If you were going to slap someone's face with the back of your hand, do you think it's easier to do it with one hand or with both hands together?

I'll bring a video camera when you try to use a baseball bat one-handed. LOL

Liv3 For It
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
lol...but if possible list ur cons and pros then

certifiedjatt
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
depends on if you're a man or a woman. if you're a woman, either will do. if you're a man, 1bh is the only way.
if you're neither, then either will do.

Liv3 For It
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
depends on if you're a man or a woman. if you're a woman, either will do. if you're a man, 1bh is the only way.
if you're neither, then either will do.

How bout nadal, roddick, djockovic, simon, and all the pros who use 2H?

LeeD
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
I think CJ meant when they started playing tennis.
You see, as a 5 year old, you have problems with one handed backhands, so a two hander is a natural.
Once you get full grown, you might decide to change, or you might choose to improve other facets of your game, keeping the two hander because it always worked to a certain degree.....like good enough.

BreakPoint
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll bring a video camera when you try to use a baseball bat one-handed. LOL
Yes, so you can use it to film yourself hitting a forehand with only one hand. :oops:

naylor
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
The more aggressive you are, and the more you look to coming to the net to finish things off (or are happy to play a shorter ball and go forward, rather than back to the baseline), the more likely you'll play/prefer 1HB. The weight transfer required to play a good 1HB (even on a sliced backhand) is very conducive to moving in. In the old days when Wimbledon was played on fast, low-bouncing grass, you really could only play 1HB there.

Having said that, the 1HB can also be very effective in baseline play on slow surfaces such as clay - you have the time to step further back, let the ball drop a bit further and then unwind (Guga, for example).

I think where the 2HB comes into play is in fast, high-bouncing surfaces, where you don't have time to retreat and play the ball as a clay-courter, so you have to stand your ground and take a swing. It also helps that you can get away with much simpler (sloppier) footwork than for a 1HB, and still manage to nail decent balls back.

The reason why many claycourters have gone to 2HB is because poly strings enable their opponents to put extra spin and open much greater angles than before, so they have to step further in to cover those - hence, they have to play more shots standing their ground at or closer to the baseline, and hit outside the natural hitting zone of the 1HB.

habib
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Two-hander has more average power. 1hbh has a higher power ceiling due to the longer racquet path/acceleration, and higher efficiency of the motion. The two-hander is easier to control. The 1hbh provides access to more spin (a function, again, of the longer racquet path). The two hander is steadier, in terms of pace and control. The 1hbh is more versatile.

Which you want to use is a function of (a) the game you play and (b) how well you hit either one, or both.