PDA

View Full Version : What seperates top from bottom?

Lotto
02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I was just wondering what seperates say Rafael Nadal who's world no.1 as everyone knows from say Louk Sorensen who's ranked 307 in the world?

What seperates the best pros from the pros outside the top 100?

Is it fitness?
Mental?
Strokes?

What? :confused:

oneguy21
02-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Wow...use common sense.

Lotto
02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
^^^I wouldn't be asking the question if it was as simple as that.........

dherring
02-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Fitness-yes
Mental-yes
Strokes-yes

WildVolley
02-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Nadal doesn't have one of the world's best serves, but it is very consistent and has a great amount of spin. His court movement is exceptional and few if any pros match him. His forehand is probably the best clay court heavy topspin forehand in the game. He can rip backhands and it is definitely a weapon.

His fitness is exceptional, and his mental toughness is at another level compared to most other players.

So to be at the top, you don't just need great shots, but you need to be able to perform them under pressure again and again. Some of the guys in the top 100 have the shots, but they don't have the consistency or mental toughness to match the top few guys.

Tennis Dunce
02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I would say the desire to be the best is the main factor. A lot of top pros get content, and are happy just to cash out and are not too worried about winning titles, let alone Slams.

oneguy21
02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I would say the desire to be the best is the main factor. A lot of top pros get content, and are happy just to cash out and are not too worried about winning titles, let alone Slams.

Everyone on the tour has the "desire." That's not what seperates the top players from the bottom ones.

I just think it's talent. Nadal is #1 while Isner is uhhh...(put ranking here) because Nadal has a better forehand, backhand, movement, and defense which compensates for his average serve.

Liv3 For It
02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
speed ..................

user92626
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
It's mostly god given talent. Nadal was blessed with fitness and skills to perform the most consistently. He's not invincible but all others are much less consistent and thus have much less odd in matches.

albino smurf
02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
What seperates top from bottom?

The middle.

Djokovicfan4life
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Is there supposed to be something between the two?

Kobble
02-16-2009, 11:43 AM
I would say the desire to be the best is the main factor. A lot of top pros get content, and are happy just to cash out and are not too worried about winning titles, let alone Slams.I think so. People SAY they want to be the best, but when they are alone they know the truth. At what cost? What are you willing to do to achieve it. Many people also don't know how.

Tennis Dunce
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=oneguy21;3134968]Everyone on the tour has the "desire." QUOTE]

Ummm...no.

fuzz nation
02-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Robby Ginepri was an interesting example a couple years ago when he was flying up the rankings - all the way to #15 at the end of '05. He faded to the middle of the pack and has been trying to get back in the right direction more recently, but his interviews were revealing. He came right out and said that once he cracked the top twenty, he felt like he had "made it" and sort of went on cruise control. The lesson he learned was that the higher you go, the steeper the climb. I believe it.

When I thought about what Federer was enduring in the middle of his reign at #1, it really struck me how he had to expect every single opponent to come out and throw the kitchen sink at him - every round of every tournament. What Fed had to do to own the top spot was work up a game with no glaring weakness, develop enough fitness to play solid defense, and find the belief that sustains that high level from week to week - a herculean mental undertaking.

If I think of Marat Safin and even Mardy Fish, I see two guys who are "streaky" - Mardy actually said this about himself at the Aus. Open. On their best days (or weeks), these guys can beat anyone, but they can't sustain the belief. Nadal has found the mental keys to keep going no matter what and I think Fernando Verdasco has found his mental component, too. It will be interesting to see how Rafa endures the year physically and to also to watch whether Verdasco can sustain it in the mental department - his tools and fitness are there.

BullDogTennis
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
i would say mental. lets be realistic. you would rate someone that plays on "the tour" and a 7.0 youd also rank a nadal a 7.0 everyone that has a rank has the strokes. just not the mental capability. or confidence.