PDA

View Full Version : are you really supposed to use an eastern backhand grip for the kick serve?

tsongaali
02-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I have tried doing this (suggested from turbotennis, about.com, and many other tennis sites) but it seems impossible to even get the racket on the ball, even when tossed behind.

go13illy
02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
you're supposed to be able to get more spin on the ball with an eastern backhand grip for the serve but you should use the grip that feels more comfortable for your kick serves

Tennis Dunce
02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I always ued a Continental for my kickers and then one day I just said screw it and devoted like 4 hours to JUST hitting kickers with an Eastern backhand and once I got the muscle memory down it really made a lot more sense to approach the ball with that grip. It's the swing path that the racquet takes which is the entire reason for the Eastern.

MooreTennis
02-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Like the others have said, you don't HAVE TO use the eastern backhand grip for kickers but it does make it a lot easier.

There are a few drills you can do to get the feeling of brushing the ball, one good one is:

To trap the ball behind your head with your racquet, and roll the ball over the top of your head by using an upwards motion with the racquet. This will give you the feeling of hitting up the back of the ball, and you can practice this with the eastern backhand grip also.

Tennis Dunce
02-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Like the others have said, you don't HAVE TO use the eastern backhand grip for kickers but it does make it a lot easier.

There are a few drills you can do to get the feeling of brushing the ball, one good one is:

To trap the ball behind your head with your racquet, and roll the ball over the top of your head by using an upwards motion with the racquet. This will give you the feeling of hitting up the back of the ball, and you can practice this with the eastern backhand grip also.

Interesting drill...never thought of that one before. I'll hve to try that next time I'm on the court!

wihamilton
02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I have tried doing this (suggested from turbotennis, about.com, and many other tennis sites) but it seems impossible to even get the racket on the ball, even when tossed behind.

You don't have to -- you can use a continental. I'm closer to an eastern backhand tho.

joe sch
02-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Thats a good drill ! If you feel you must used an Eastern grip, just try sticking with the Continental and relaxing your grip so that your wrist rotates more towards the fence behind your back. This will hit like an Eastern grip and give you more wrist snap into the serve.

BullDogTennis
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
i do it if i want a lot more spin. i rotate between this and continental for differnt serves. im confident with both so i have no trouble switchin back and forth.

Kenny022593
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM
i hit all serves with this grip =D

tennisdad65
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
I use continental grip, but have tried EBH and cont+EBH flavor etc..

EBH grip or continental+EBH flavor forces you to pronate to get the string face ready for contact. This grip normally gives you a nice kick.

Continental does not force you to pronate to make contact. If you do not time your pronation correctly using continental, you get a really spinny serve with no kick, or hit it to the right if you pronate early.

As someone pointed out above, you can use the continental and also rotate your wrist to get an effect similar to cont+EBH flavor. I have tried this and it works very well too. I could be mistaken, but I think Edberg did this, just remembering how he held his racquet before the toss.

aimr75
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
i thought standard practice was to use continental regardless of the type of serve.. will have to try leaning toward an eastern backhand for a second serve, see how it goes.. i can get decent spin with a continental, but sometimes not enough

a_2c+
02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
for my kicker grip, i use a cross between the eastern backhand and the continental grip.

(kinda like the same way fed grips his forehand-a cross between the eastern and semi-western backhand...)

imo, gives me more "heaviness" to my kicker, and less of the floaty-ish kicker...

10nistennis
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
If i want more pace on the ball, but lesas "action" or kick, then I use a continental. If I want more kick, but less pace, which I normally try to do on second serves, then I use eastern backhand.

ttbrowne
02-18-2009, 06:03 AM
I tried the continental grip in a singles match last nite (just for grins) and I had terrible serving. I'm going back to the eastern grip. I DF'd all nite long.

Sublime
02-18-2009, 06:10 AM
I tried the continental grip in a singles match last nite (just for grins) and I had terrible serving. I'm going back to the eastern grip. I DF'd all nite long.

eastern FH or eastern BH?

tennisdad65
02-18-2009, 07:27 AM
If i want more pace on the ball, but lesas "action" or kick, then I use a continental. If I want more kick, but less pace, which I normally try to do on second serves, then I use eastern backhand.

hmmm.. In general, I thought it was the other way around in terms of pace. i.e. EBH = more pace and action/kick.. cont = less pace and action/kick but more consistent ... But I guess it depends on each ones swingpath, mechanics etc..

LeeD
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I've always touted a grip somewhere BETWEEN continental and eastern backhand, maybe closer to conti.
You can hit all serves that grip, it's impossible to read, and you simplify your swing and grip needs. Some good players start with this grip in the ready position, then when the motion starts, they shift to exactly where they need.
At my level, most opposition are constantly trying to pick up clues to type and location of serves, so keeping everything as exact as possible disguies your intentions.