PDA

View Full Version : Video of strokes, need some comments

KhaosBaseliner
02-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey

I was just wondering if i could get some feedback on my strokes. I have been playing for right around 2 years now. Any and all comments are welcome. I know this video doesn't show a lot but all is welcome. Also if you could give me an estimate of about where these strokes would rank on the ntrp rating, that would be good.

Thanks to all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K78ZviNX40A

LeeD
02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
For 2 years, you strokes are looking actually very good.
More open stanced on every ball than I'd like, be nice if you can close and drive the ball sometimes.
Interesting wristflicky backhand, sorta like Sampras.
Seems you hit the wall lots. Is that true?
You seem to move OK, so just more practice against more other players.
You like to practice variety in your strokes, so you'd be hard to play when your basic strokes develop more consistency.

mixertefera
02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
hmm id like to see where those balls are lading but nice strokes

maverick66
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
footwork needs alot of work. you walk back after hitting the ball. it looks like your hitting seeing where it lands then moving. try to finish your stroke and get moving. would help to get another angle to look at your strokes prefably a back and side one if possible. if you do that i hopefully can help you with that.

coonio
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Khaos
You seem like an athletic-type player with loose, wristy style, which is a high potential style. The issue will be timing. Noticed you hit some ground ball backhand slices, but your stroke mechanics looked pretty decent even on those. It looked pretty cold and maybe you haven't hit balls for a while?

Anyway, agree with LeeD about good progress for 2 years. I like that you don't have a cookie-cutter approach and seem to have an artistic flair for the game.

Keep it up, there's some definite potential here.

Also mildly disagree with criticism on movement by maverick 66. You seem light on your feet, especially considering you're freezing your *** off!

lazyeenviet
02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
His backhand looks pretty smooth, slice AND topspin.
Is it just me or does the OP have a hitch in his forehand takeback?

BullDogTennis
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
its hard to tell how someone plays, when there using a ball machine, its the same ol shot you've probably been hitting for the last 2 year with it. you need some video of you playing with someone whose not so predictable for you.

drake
02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
People don't like to give ratings if they can't see where you're hitting. For 2 years, very good progress. Your future looks promising in the sport. I have to agree with Coonio and LeeD. Are you hitting where you intend to with margin, pace and consistency?

maverick66
02-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Also mildly disagree with criticism on movement by maverick 66. You seem light on your feet, especially considering you're freezing your *** off!

hes not moving at all. im sure the ball machine has something to do with it but still hes walking after hitting. go look at tonlars hit and you will see a big difference. i am aware that tonlars is a much better player with alot more experience but that should be his goal to match. work your feet and your game will improve much faster than any other advice anyone can give you.

TonLars
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
hes not moving at all. im sure the ball machine has something to do with it but still hes walking after hitting. go look at tonlars hit and you will see a big difference. i am aware that tonlars is a much better player with alot more experience but that should be his goal to match. work your feet and your game will improve much faster than any other advice anyone can give you.

Thanks mav. Say I would like to ask you something because from what ive read about you, you have played high level tournaments yourself. My diet is not nearly ideal because I do not cook, and I was wondering what you did and what you ate. I briefly glimpsed on a thread where you were talking about some supplements and I was wondering what kind of vitamins or whatever I should be taking. I stay away from almost all junk food, although Im not very concerned about eating fats here and there. I try to eat as much that is good for me as possible but Im sure Im not anywhere near what I need to be doing. Unless my girlfriend or mom is around, or im not lazy, I dont get home cooked meals like spaghetti too much. Anyways, thanks for the help if you have some time

FH2FH
02-18-2009, 07:22 AM
your forehand has a hitch and your footwork isn't helping.

look at 2:56, then 3:00. big difference. on the first, you wait on the ball, start the racquet higher, and bring it below the ball. its a smoother, more efficient swing. on the second, you still take the racquet back high, but you're late. the swing looks jerky. here's why...

the problem is you didn't build any lag. the 3:00 swing was mostly performed by your arm. your shoulders need to pull the racquet through the hitting zone in a steady acceleration. thats hard to do when your feet are out of position and your hips/shoulders can't turn easily. make it happen every swing.

look at 2:38. this is closer to how an open stance forehand should be hit. your outside foot is planted and you get good lag, driving your hips/shoulders through contact. why don't you do this all the time? laziness probably. ;)

good luck!

Jay_The_Nomad
02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I agree with Maverick66's comments regarding Khaosbaseliner's footwork.

As navratilova said.. "having the best hands doesn't count for anything if you haven't got the feet to get in position"... paraphrasing here & i'm pretty sure it was Navartilvoa who said that.

Anyway, the hands look good but the feet not so good (not terrible).

The reason why I say the feet work doesn't look too good is because the balls you're receiving are low paced... and as it is, the foot work is a little untidy (maybe its a cold day?). I suspect if you're getting pushed left and right at pace, footwork will start to break down & the shot will break down in general.

But yeah, footwork is important also...

Not all of us are Nadal who can impart pace & side spin with a flick of a wrist when stretched wide.

KhaosBaseliner
02-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Thank you all alot, these are exactly the kinda pointers i was looking to get. Ill try and get some video behind me so you can see where the ball is going. Thanks again.

maverick66
02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Thank you all alot, these are exactly the kinda pointers i was looking to get. Ill try and get some video behind me so you can see where the ball is going. Thanks again.

try to get someone to hit with you as well. i know thats not always easy but it helps alot. ball machines are to predictable and you tend to get lazy when hitting with them.

KhaosBaseliner
02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I will try but the weather has not been very cooperative with tennis. The day i took this video it was about 39 degrees and the only thing i could do was hit against a machine. So hopefully when the weather gets a bit warmer I can get some better video.

One small question about my forehand. Where is the hitch? I can see that something isn't flowing right but I don't know where it is at.

Thanks again

LeeD
02-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't know either...
I like you prepare early and give the backswing time to loop around.
I think, if your forehand is consistent, penetrating, and easy on you, then just hit a couple hundred thousand more tennis balls...
Your loop will get faster with practice, and give more pace and spin than traditional "smoother" looking strokes.

KhaosBaseliner
02-18-2009, 04:34 PM
People don't like to give ratings if they can't see where you're hitting. For 2 years, very good progress. Your future looks promising in the sport. I have to agree with Coonio and LeeD. Are you hitting where you intend to with margin, pace and consistency?

Yes i have these things, I just have trouble when I hit with people who generate alot of pace and spin. I just need to hit with better people more often and get used to the pace so my body and feet can get quicker and more exact.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, the key to getting better is to hit with better players, either smarter, stronger, faster, or all of the above.
Hope you live in a tennis area and have great social skills. That helped me get to hit with women's #10 or so 3 years before I got to hit with her...my second season. Dating her helped :):)

KhaosBaseliner
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
For 2 years, you strokes are looking actually very good.
More open stanced on every ball than I'd like, be nice if you can close and drive the ball sometimes.
Interesting wristflicky backhand, sorta like Sampras.
Seems you hit the wall lots. Is that true?
You seem to move OK, so just more practice against more other players.
You like to practice variety in your strokes, so you'd be hard to play when your basic strokes develop more consistency.

Yes, I do hit a lot against the wall. How can you tell? :) I will also work on closing up a bit on my shots. I noticed as soon as I took a look at my videos how open i was, and again yes I am trying to get together and hit with better people.

Thanks

KhaosBaseliner
02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Yes, the key to getting better is to hit with better players, either smarter, stronger, faster, or all of the above.
Hope you live in a tennis area and have great social skills. That helped me get to hit with women's #10 or so 3 years before I got to hit with her...my second season. Dating her helped :):)

Haha! Very nice, and yes there is some good tennis around here so I will be getting better =)

LeeD
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, one good thing about starting tennis late in life (24) is that I'm at the right age to meet most of the women's A and Open players.
And the A and Open Men's liked hitting with me to practice against a REAL lefty serve.
And accepting loss's, giving good line calls, and generally staying positive helps to generate lots of good tennis players to hit with and practice with.

KhaosBaseliner
02-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, one good thing about starting tennis late in life (24) is that I'm at the right age to meet most of the women's A and Open players.
And the A and Open Men's liked hitting with me to practice against a REAL lefty serve.
And accepting loss's, giving good line calls, and generally staying positive helps to generate lots of good tennis players to hit with and practice with.

Yup, I love playing a fair and honest game with people. Just makes the game a little more fun :p

mawashi
02-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Yup, I love playing a fair and honest game with people. Just makes the game a little more fun :p

Sorry for being late to the party but your strokes are good. I'm just a bit curious bout your forehand in the vids as you seem to be wristing your shots rather than hitting through more smooth.

Btw, what's the specs on your vantage?

mawashi

KhaosBaseliner
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry for being late to the party but your strokes are good. I'm just a bit curious bout your forehand in the vids as you seem to be wristing your shots rather than hitting through more smooth.

Btw, what's the specs on your vantage?

mawashi

My Vantage is:

100 sq in
16x19
11.7 ounces (unstrung)
9 pts HL
27 inches

I love it. I have three of them and plan to get at least one more soon.

cheers
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Khaos,
I've been helping my friend who has the same exact hitch (the flicky kind) on his backhand. We determined it was because he doesn't think he'll get enough juice on the ball, so he panicks at the last moment before impact and hitches to try to conjure up some last minute pop. Anyway, for him, it creates tons of inconsistency on where he hits on the stringbed which effects how the ball comes off the face. Ball flight is harder to tell from this video without seeing the other half of the court, but something to check for.

For my buddy, we actually used one of TonLars's old backhand drill videos as reference to work on: as soon as the ball is hit by the opponent and is crossing over the net, feet should move toward ball (duh) and get set with the racquet already cocked back and held there until the swing is initiated. Tonlars's video exagerates this (with good results) and served as a great reference for my friend. We would also play mini-tennis (or shortcourt) hitting smoothly stroked (slower but longer) backhand half volleys to each other to show that the wrist flick hitch isn't necessary to generate pop. Then we would back it up to full court and hit backhands crosscourt. Once his stroke smoothed out (2 months later) his hitch was gone.

One of your forehands that stuck out to me was at 0:32. What a great, solid forehand. One thing I noticed on that forehand (besides some great, classic low-to-hi action) is that your feet were planted and set. This seems to lessen the effects your hitch has on your forehand. The next two forehands after that one has you on the run a bit and balanced off your back foot. Those two forehands are noticeably less solid and looked like they flew on you a bit. I know forehands on the run are always tougher in general, but from what I see, you are pretty coordinated and athletic and you definitely should have the ability to hit those solid on the run, as well.

Some more examples at 2:58 - solid forehand, feet are set. Next one at 3:01 has you on the run and ball comes off eratic and flies a bit.

As far as footwork goes, a lot of my footwork and preparation is in reaction to what my opponent is doing. If your opponent is a green, immobile R2D2 spitting tennis balls at you every now and then, you might not have the visual cues to get you moving properly. It's obvious you have the coordination and athletic ability to move your feet more, it justs appears you chose not to. But definitely, in the next video you want critiqued, I agree with most of these guys that footwork NEEDS to be given more effort since it's the foundation of every shot.

With all that said, being there in 2 years is pretty awesome. Looks like you'll have many more fun years of tennis to come.

KhaosBaseliner
02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Khaos,
I've been helping my friend who has the same exact hitch (the flicky kind) on his backhand. We determined it was because he doesn't think he'll get enough juice on the ball, so he panicks at the last moment before impact and hitches to try to conjure up some last minute pop. Anyway, for him, it creates tons of inconsistency on where he hits on the stringbed which effects how the ball comes off the face. Ball flight is harder to tell from this video without seeing the other half of the court, but something to check for.

For my buddy, we actually used one of TonLars's old backhand drill videos as reference to work on: as soon as the ball is hit by the opponent and is crossing over the net, feet should move toward ball (duh) and get set with the racquet already cocked back and held there until the swing is initiated. Tonlars's video exagerates this (with good results) and served as a great reference for my friend. We would also play mini-tennis (or shortcourt) hitting smoothly stroked (slower but longer) backhand half volleys to each other to show that the wrist flick hitch isn't necessary to generate pop. Then we would back it up to full court and hit backhands crosscourt. Once his stroke smoothed out (2 months later) his hitch was gone.

One of your forehands that stuck out to me was at 0:32. What a great, solid forehand. One thing I noticed on that forehand (besides some great, classic low-to-hi action) is that your feet were planted and set. This seems to lessen the effects your hitch has on your forehand. The next two forehands after that one has you on the run a bit and balanced off your back foot. Those two forehands are noticeably less solid and looked like they flew on you a bit. I know forehands on the run are always tougher in general, but from what I see, you are pretty coordinated and athletic and you definitely should have the ability to hit those solid on the run, as well.

Some more examples at 2:58 - solid forehand, feet are set. Next one at 3:01 has you on the run and ball comes off eratic and flies a bit.

As far as footwork goes, a lot of my footwork and preparation is in reaction to what my opponent is doing. If your opponent is a green, immobile R2D2 spitting tennis balls at you every now and then, you might not have the visual cues to get you moving properly. It's obvious you have the coordination and athletic ability to move your feet more, it justs appears you chose not to. But definitely, in the next video you want critiqued, I agree with most of these guys that footwork NEEDS to be given more effort since it's the foundation of every shot.

With all that said, being there in 2 years is pretty awesome. Looks like you'll have many more fun years of tennis to come.

I think one of the big problems with my footwork is like you were saying. I like to react to the opponent as well, but in this video I am still lazy. No excuse there :twisted:

I was wondering if someone could post Tonlars's video for me so I can get a look.

Thanks again

maverick66
02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=131731

look at his newer ones. his movement is definetly good.

KhaosBaseliner
02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=131731

look at his newer ones. his movement is definetly good.

thank you :)

10 chars

maverick66
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
watch his recovery steps. as soon as he completes his stroke he gets back in position. thats what you needed to work on. you seem to hit watch the ball land then react when the next one is coming. you get away with it when your facing a ball machine but against an opponent its a big no no.

KhaosBaseliner
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
watch his recovery steps. as soon as he completes his stroke he gets back in position. thats what you needed to work on. you seem to hit watch the ball land then react when the next one is coming. you get away with it when your facing a ball machine but against an opponent its a big no no.

Agreed. I used to not do this but I guess I have gotten into a bad habit from being lazy. This is why I love video and getting comments on it. Should be an easy fix and i will try to have some more clips up soon.

Petit Nicolas
02-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I think you hit the ball pretty well for someone who has been practicing for 2 years. However, I think that on your FHs you are often late to take the ball, and you take it too close to your body. Try to step away from the ball just hald a step and see how that works out for you.

FH2FH
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
One small question about my forehand. Where is the hitch? I can see that something isn't flowing right but I don't know where it is at.

Cheers made a good post above. To clarify, and followup up on my original post here are some thoughts....

Look at the swing at 2:04. The hitch occurs just before the swing begins forward when you move the head further behind you to create lag; by cocking your wrist and suppinating your hand/forearm. The elbow/wrist/racquet orientation you achieve at that point is called a double bend. It's perfect.

Instead of repositioning the head in the transition (the hitch), start with the double bend orientation in the takeaway and swing from there. Its simple, consistent, and efficient. You'll still be able to whip your arm around, if you have to, but that shouldnt be your normal stroke (if you want consistent results). The double bend will allow you to utilize your core better and it should buy you another 1/2 second to prepare. I think you'll be very pleased.

So... get in position earlier. start with a double bend takeaway. get the racquet further below the ball for more topspin. destroy your opponents. then contribute $30 to my paypal account! ;)