PDA

View Full Version : Help my serve

3lowdown
02-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey TT, my serve is really starting to become a big weakness to my game, i cannot hold as much as i could a year ago (do to being in the 16's probablly). I know its alot to say this but i need some more power/spin/consistent second, and was wondering if a technique tweak could help those few out. thanks

(dont mind the random rallies): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc4m1fOQj14

larry10s
02-16-2009, 07:46 AM
my prolem with youtube videos is you cannot stop frame them to watch frame by frame. you lose so much info watching at real life speed.one thing i noticed is you dint turn away from the net much when you toss. so you are not coiled to uncoil into the serve try that and see if it helps.

Jonny S&V
02-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey TT, my serve is really starting to become a big weakness to my game, i cannot hold as much as i could a year ago (do to being in the 16's probablly). I know its alot to say this but i need some more power/spin/consistent second, and was wondering if a technique tweak could help those few out. thanks

(dont mind the random rallies): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc4m1fOQj14

Try to keep your left arm up longer. This will help with your balance. Also, you're not really getting any drive up into the ball, its all forward, so think a little more up (there is a delicate balance with this though, so make sure you get both).

oneguy21
02-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Try to keep your tossing arm straight up a little longer. Also, use some more leg drive - you're using some but not a lot. You should really try to use your legs as a spring to explode into the ball. Secondly, it looks like you're dropping your head too soon so keep your head still and eye on the ball until it makes contact with the strings.

LeeD
02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
As said above, you have some hitch's in your serve, but...
Overall, your slice serve does the job just fine. It slices, it goes in pretty fast, maybe easy 80mph, and it starts the point.
But a slice serve in MEN's tennis is maybe 1/8th of your serves!
You need the flat to 3 locations. You need the topspin serves to at least 2 locations. You need a kick/twist to at least ONE location.
And you need you slice to land at least to backhand and towards the body.
So you need more arsenal in your weaponry.
Practice more different serves.

Djokovicfan4life
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Not a bad serve overall.

Few thoughts:

Toss: Your hitting arm is lagging behind the tossing arm. Both should rise simultaneously.

Contact point: Your knee bend is too extreme and it's killing your timing and balance, as well as giving you a low contact point. You don't need a huge knee bend to serve big. In fact, too much will actually give you less power. The timing is what's important.

Ending: Not enough explosion UP with the legs due to your low contact point.

Matt

LeeD
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Funny ding about getting old.
I could serve pretty fast when young....like 27.
Now, at 60 (yeh, me), I can serve MORE EFFECTIVELY against better players.
So 35+ years, I developed lots of VARIETY serves, lots of good placements, and with very similar toss and setups.
Doesn't mean I play a whole lot different, age takes away any advantages in technique.

3lowdown
02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone, i guess tonight ill try out some of these few things

*less knee bend
*tossing arm needs to stay straight a little longer
*more drive up to the ball
*keeping my head up and watching the ball

ill make another video for some more feedback. :)

mixertefera
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
the end of your sever is really wried

3lowdown
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
the end of your sever is really wried

thanks haha, i do agree thats always the most awkward part about the whole process. :confused:

LeeD
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Just watched more of your vid....
Nice swing, nice motion, nice knee drive.
Interesting back foot step sideways. I won't comment on it.
Seems your forehand can pummel balls almost as fast as your slice serve.
Better work on flat firsts tho, move it around, get it in 50%.

3lowdown
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Just watched more of your vid....
Nice swing, nice motion, nice knee drive.
Interesting back foot step sideways. I won't comment on it.
Seems your forehand can pummel balls almost as fast as your slice serve.
Better work on flat firsts tho, move it around, get it in 50%.

thanks, please do comment on my back foot step sideways, because i have no idea what that is. :???:

i took another video today but i dont think its worth posting its pretty much exactly like the other video. I need some more practice and just stop the excessive knee bend. :evil:

LeeD
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Wow, you don't see it?
Just more parts on your serve, and more parts that don't help you serve better is one more useless part.
Try starting in more closed position, so you don't have to adjust your footwork when you actually start the motion.
Once again, nice swing, nice motion, good swing speed. But if you hit that serve a couple times to your opponent, he has no problem blasting it back because that's the only serve you tried.
Your slice is good enough. Now get a flat first placed at least up the T and up the middle, a topspin serve all three positions, and at least one kick serve. Employ them all when you play a match.

3lowdown
02-17-2009, 03:44 PM
i never said this was my only serve, its the most consistent and i do hit a flat first. I need to get a video tomorrow.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 09:03 AM
See, that's the problem with posting vids!
You say you have serve problems. OK.
So you show only ONE serve in all your vids.
If Federer served only ONE serve ever, he'd barely crack the top 50.
Why not vid from behind, let the viewer see the landing and the bounce, and you demostrate first serve, second serve, then go thru all the alternates in location and spin as you continue?

3lowdown
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
i thought my problems were much more technique and form so i didnt think it mattered.

W Cats
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
To my eyes your issues stem from being out of balance as you move into your modified trophy, arms and shoulders others have mentioned previously. The main issue is that your shoulders are too far behind your feet, therefore you need that back step to go sideways to support yourself during your knee bend.

As you begin to rotate your shoulders into the serve your axis of rotation is more biased towards horizontal than vertical. At times you look like you've opened up a little early IMO. Your left arm comes down part way then angles abruptly towards the left and ends up in a position that looks like a cocktail waitress holding up a tray of drinks. If you try to bring the left arm straight down led by bending the elbow until the inside of your forearm is snug against your ribs it may bias your shoulder rotation more effectively.

3lowdown
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
thanks alot, i just had a lesson and my coach told me to ONLY focus on first getting my left arm straight up and then fire the right side of my body towards the ball, and some really cool analogies such as "its like your swiming", or "teater_totter". :)

3lowdown
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
alright new video is up, obviously not perfect but better, all i can really see is that my left arm gets caught towards my face when i contact the ball. Let me know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUk1b5yBXcc

W Cats
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Mo betta. Balance much improved at trophy position with rear foot moving up to meet front foot ( you lost that back foot side step thingy). Shoulders very nice at trophy position with front/left shoulder higher than rear/rear shoulder which sets up the swing nicely and lets the two shoulders at contact switch positions - right higher than left. I like the swimming analogy your coached used for that one. Much better than the techno mumbo jumbo I used about shoulder rotation on a vertical axis.

Mo betta, mo betta

3lowdown
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
thanks alot, i think its now time for alot of serves and get that to be muscle memory. Then some power/spin. :twisted:

Djokovicfan4life
02-19-2009, 06:56 AM
That's a great improvement, 3lowdown. Trophy pose looks great, with your arm extending PAST vertical, ala Roddick.

You're still not driving your weight forward into the court enough for my taste though. Try setting a towel or something a foot or two inside the baseline and practice ending with your left foot landing past it. Use the back leg to drive forwards and move your toss a little farther out in front to adjust for the added weight transfer.

Matt