PDA

View Full Version : playing with pressure-less balls

jimstorm
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a friend who likes to play with pressureless tennis balls.
I am not a big fan of them. Does anybody know if there is any advantage to using them?

I dont see any, so they why do they even make tennis balls like that? I could go to the park and find the same things in the bushes???

Okazaki Fragment
02-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I am not a big fan of them. Does anybody know if there is any advantage to using them?

I dont see any, so they why do they even make tennis balls like that? I could go to the park and find the same things in the bushes???

ball machines

Bud
02-15-2009, 08:46 PM

Yeah, they can be hit harder and don't fly like regular tennis balls. Does your opponent have a tendency to hit primarily flat while many balls go long?

3lowdown
02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
they sound cool when you hit them though. :) Other than that they suck

Bud
02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
ball machines

I don't like pressureless balls in ball machines... with the exception of Tretorn Micro X balls... which are pressureless hybrids.

jimstorm
02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, they can be hit harder and don't fly like regular tennis balls. Does your opponent have a tendency to hit primarily flat while many balls go long?

Yea, every time he misses it is flat long.

He also plays a pretty consistant game. He is not too much of an overpower.
Would these balls help him? Slow down the play of the game, kind of like playing on clay? or is it the opposite?

SystemicAnomaly
02-16-2009, 12:53 AM

I don't see any, so they why do they even make tennis balls like that? I could go to the park and find the same things in the bushes???

Sound like you are confusing pressureless balls with low-compression (training) balls or with de-pressurized standard balls (your "bush" balls) -- these are 3 different things. A true pressureless ball will rely completely, or nearly completely, on the composition of the ball rubber for its bounce, rather than on the air pressure inside the ball.

A pressureless ball will feel rather hard on impact and will usually result in more shock delivered to the arm -- not a favorite with those that have TE or other arm issues. This type of ball will usually bounce a little bit lower than a new standard ball. However, 2-3 months from now, the pressureless ball will have almost the same bounce whereas the standard ball will have lost most of its bounce.

Another benefit of pressureless balls is that they are not sensitive to temperature (and altitude) extremes. On very hot days, a standard ball can be very lively (due to increased internal P). On cold nights, these same balls will not bounce very well at all (unless they are thoroughly warmed up and not allowed to get cold). In these temp extremes, the pressureless ball will not have its playing characteristics affected very much. I'm not sure, but I believe that the same thing is true for high (and low) altitude conditions.

Bud
02-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Yea, every time he misses it is flat long.

He also plays a pretty consistant game. He is not too much of an overpower.
Would these balls help him? Slow down the play of the game, kind of like playing on clay? or is it the opposite?

Would help him if he has a tendency to hit long... also slows down the game closer to a clay court match.

Nellie
02-16-2009, 07:57 AM
I also find pressureless balls to be noticably heavier

WildVolley
02-16-2009, 08:14 AM
I have my serve basket filled with Tretorn X balls. Previously, my basket was filled with balls scrounged off the court, but I got tired of always serving dead balls.

The Tretorn X balls feel a little bit heavier, but they keep bouncing.

LeeD
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Fine for hitting practice... and high altitude play.
But consider... we seem to be OBSESSED with our tennis rankings.
Since rankings really only count from results in real world tennis matchplay, maybe we should consider practice with the tournament ball.
Around here, it's Penn or Wilson HardCourtHeavyDuty's mostly.
Some tournaments use Dunlolp as above with standard knapp.
Shouldn't we try those balls?
We don't need to hit great with Nerf balls, pingbong balls, or squash balls, just tennisballs.

user92626
02-16-2009, 11:04 AM

The main advantages to me are the cost and the concern. In some groups, we use these balls repeatedly and no one's concerned about getting new balls or balls going dead on bounce.

This works for this group because they're not aspired to hit correctly to take advantage of pressurized Penn or others. So, there's no difference. Just fun and game.

LuckyR
02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Pressureless balls have a much, much longer playable life than pressured balls since they wear out from losing felt, not by losing pressure. Great for a basket of practice balls, not so great for playing matches.

dman72
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
The wilson teams I have in my ball machine seem to travel about 10% less distance than a new can of pressurized balls...I've noticed this because I have some pressurized balls mixed in, and you can really see the balls fly when you get a pressurized one. Could throw of your stroke a bit...you think you're blasting would-be winners, but they're all long with game balls!!

Tsonga nDance
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
a ball's a ball

SystemicAnomaly
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
The wilson teams I have in my ball machine seem to travel about 10% less distance than a new can of pressurized balls...I've noticed this because I have some pressurized balls mixed in, and you can really see the balls fly when you get a pressurized one. Could throw of your stroke a bit...you think you're blasting would-be winners, but they're all long with game balls!!

In very cold weather, however, you will probably find that pressureless balls will travel & bounce almost the same whereas the pressurized balls will travel & bounce less (than the pressureless balls).

charliefedererer
03-07-2009, 07:06 AM
In very cold weather, however, you will probably find that pressureless balls will travel & bounce almost the same whereas the pressurized balls will travel & bounce less (than the pressureless balls).
Living in the Northeast, I have found the same thing about pressureless balls. That is, they bounce better than pressurized when the temp is in the 30's and 40's. Maybe its crazy, but it feels really good to get out there and play, even on a cold day.
I have been pleased with the Penn pressureless ball as playing the closest to a pressurized ball. I also like it for practising serves and in my ball machine.
That being said, I would never use a pressureless ball in a match on anything other than a very cold day. The balls just feel too stiff.