PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Racquets on US flights

praetorian909
02-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey, has anyone recently brought along their racquet(s) on board a US domestic flight? I was planning to have a racquet in my carry-on but when I called NWA and asked the agent if I was allowed to bring a racquet, she flat out said no.

And actually I was trying to read around about this and I found out the Qantas will allow you to have as many as three in a carry-on. They must really like Hewitt down there :)

JackD
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I flew NWA in December and had a raq bag that I carried on and no one said anything about it. The worst thing that can happen is they make you check it at the gate, right? Unless its a really new policy...but I'm guessing the airline's policy is just to say no for everything to insure that thier employees don't have to think for themselves. This is the airline that kept passengers on the plane for over 24 hours with no food, bathrooms...do you really think they are thinking clearly?

Camilio Pascual
03-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I will NEVER bring Volkl racquets with me on a plane again. They were drinking and generally rowdy. That was not too bad until they broke out into the "Horst Wessel" song. Humiliating. Finally, I got them calmed down with their mantra,
"I remember nothing before 1945,
I remember nothing before 1945..."

Ace
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I bring my racquet bag with me as carry on all the time. I have never had a problem.

cak
03-01-2005, 11:08 AM
I carried on racquets on Aloha and Southwest in the last week. I was actually using one of those backpacks where the handles stick out, and had three racquets, and no one said a word. There were others on the plane with tennis bags also.

Gaines Hillix
03-01-2005, 07:04 PM
I had to check my tennis bag on Delta and have since just packed my sticks in my checked luggage.

SunDog
03-01-2005, 08:08 PM
i flew delta last saturday - no problem carrying a racquet on.

praetorian909
03-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Just got the new issue of Tennis Magazine. Gotta really refrain from reading it all now and save it for the plane ride.

Phil
03-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I will NEVER bring Volkl racquets with me on a plane again. They were drinking and generally rowdy. That was not too bad until they broke out into the "Horst Wessel" song. Humiliating. Finally, I got them calmed down with their mantra,
"I remember nothing before 1945,
I remember nothing before 1945..."

Funny, my Head Prestige Classics (the "Made in Austria" ones), behaved in a very similar fashion. Totally embarrassing for me.