PDA

View Full Version : Video (Please do give advice)

dexian
02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
This is a service game from my first match of the season.
I was pretty tight during the whole match.
My opponent was definitely a pusher and I lost 6-3 3-6 6-1.

I have an OK serve but I don't have nice form and am not really consistent.
I can win my service game with aces then loose another with double faults.

Please do give me tips on this. I'm the one with the red shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-RYTFShyvs

LeeD
02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Too casual, not enough kinetics and body, too much wrist, not enough body and trunk, legs, and drive.
Since you have video, just look at video of PRO players. Copy one who's nearly the same build, height, and weight.
You'll see the difference.

tennisfreak15347
02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
no knee bend.

Noveson
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Definitely a pusher? Didn't he just hit a return winner?

BullDogTennis
02-16-2009, 03:13 PM
you need to bend! you're serve would be 100% better if you did.

LeeD
02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I didn't mention "knee bend" because I don't bend and extend at all either.
Almost all players who watch me serve wonder how I get close to my service speeds. Good swing, good torso bend, almost perfect form helps.
But almost everyone says I barely get off the ground on either of my serves.
And almost everyone who sees me play agree the first is well over 110 and the second hit as hard as anyone NOT on the college Div1 circuit.
Kneebend and extension is nice, but you can learn to serve pretty well by falling into the court at the right time, and use everything else you have to generate the pace.
Well, that was last time I played like a week ago. Just turned 60, and I might have to resort to powder puff serves from now on:cry::cry:

tennisfreak15347
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
:
for us normal people without superhuman arms, bending knees would usually help our serves.:oops:

Kenny022593
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
isnt your second serve supposed to have the same racquet speed as the first serve but with a different swing path so that you impart spin?

kimbahpnam
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Yea, I was gonna say...your second serve is drastically slower than the first. Try building up some more pace on the 2nd serve

blue12
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I agree knee bend would totally revolutionize your serve. Plus if you get more legs into it you can give your arm a little rest!!

Ambivalent
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
You might want to take a bit off your first serve if your second is that pathetic.

gunbuster
02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Seems like you cherry picked one of your better service games which doesn't show how the rest of your match went. Since you lost two of the sets pretty handily, I'll bet that the games looked much, much worse.

It's good to have the positive reinforcement. But if you're looking for answers to why you lost, don't show us the games where you won.

dexian
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. I was pretty tight during the whole match.

I know that my technique isn't that great and I showed you the part when I actually served right cuz I felt my technique wasn't good when I served right. Does that make sense?

I'm not going to show your bad serves cuz I already know what is wrong with them.

So basically, during the match I didn't serve well except during the second set that I won. I went to the net 30% of the time and lost 90% of the points I played there. Either I kept hitting overheads and he sent them back in the air or I failed my volleys.

I didn't use my full swing cuz I was scared that the ball might go out.

The only part where I played good is when I didn't care and played so relaxed but I can't get to that state consistently.

LeeD
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Consider...
The ball almost always flies long when you don't employ your full swing.
So always swing fully, and follow thru fully.
Second serve SWING should be at least 25% FASTER than the first serve swing. Should I answer WHY?
Consider.... always try to play your best game whether winning or losing. At least you tried your best, and if your best is not good enough, then kudos to the other guy.
But if you try to stay in the point by whatever push or short technique, you are really only hurting yourself, ...not only do spectators see that, but you are reinforcing bad technique in actual matches.

dexian
02-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the great advice, Lee.
I have another match saturday, hope this one will go well!

ncode tour90
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
bend your knees

NotAtTheNet
02-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Almost all players who watch me serve wonder how I get close to my service speeds. Good swing, good torso bend, almost perfect form helps.
But almost everyone says I barely get off the ground on either of my serves.
And almost everyone who sees me play agree the first is well over 110 and the second hit as hard as anyone NOT on the college Div1 circuit.
Kneebend and extension is nice, but you can learn to serve pretty well by falling into the court at the right time, and use everything else you have to generate the pace.
:

I hate to say that its very true. I played a 5.5 recently who's also a coach. The dude served straight open stance with almost zero knee bend whatsoever. Just just had generated great pace from his upper body and hip turn/rotation. In fact his whole service movement was extremely compact, but he was ripping 130 mph serves (with one of those put on the ground radar things). With this compact motion, he was pretty much 75% of higher on the his consistency on the 1st serve.

It is also important to mention he's a 6'3 solidly built jamaican. One couldn't help but wonder how fast of a serve he could get if he did bend his knees though...

My old coach in high school always told me "You can't coach height..." but in contrast I could of retorted "you can coach a knee bend..."

herosol
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
for us normal people without superhuman arms, bending knees would usually help our serves.:oops:

you don't need superhuman arms. you need technique.