PDA

View Full Version : Spin String recommendations?

microgel
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm looking into several strings, all polyester because i break my string ver fast. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me strings that will give me the most spin? here's some strings i had in mind...

Isospeed Pyramid
Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour
Signum Pro-Poly Speed Spin
Wilson Enduro Mono
Pacific Polyforce

GugaGuga
02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
String guage is going to have the most effect on spin potential. And yes, the thinner the guage the sooner they will break. But there is no way around it; strings don't last forever.

The monos and polys you suggest are one way to go. You will find slight differences between them, but guage is going to be the main factor.

Gut is the other way to go. IMHO, you will get better spin from gut. They will break in time, but they play so much better than weed-wacker cables.

Just exactly how long do you expect your strings to last? How much do you value the string's playability, touch, feel, and comfort?

oneguy21
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Blue Gear provides the most spin, but it has terrible feel.

microgel
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
String guage is going to have the most effect on spin potential. And yes, the thinner the guage the sooner they will break. But there is no way around it; strings don't last forever.

The monos and polys you suggest are one way to go. You will find slight differences between them, but guage is going to be the main factor.

Gut is the other way to go. IMHO, you will get better spin from gut. They will break in time, but they play so much better than weed-wacker cables.

Just exactly how long do you expect your strings to last? How much do you value the string's playability, touch, feel, and comfort?

i'm expecting around 2 months. and i play around 4-6 times a week. it doesn't need to provide much power, but feel and comfort would be nice. a softer poly if possible.

wao
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Blue Gear provides the most spin, but it has terrible feel.BG provides the most spin in the larger gauge 1.28 this is true with most textured/gear/hex strings. If it is a non textrured then IMO the thinner gauge provides more spin. Most of your rough polys even being co poly's are on the stiffer side. If you where to go the route of a poly, I would hybrid it with a softer cross. You will gain more touch with a hybrid than a straight up poly. If you don't have any issues with your current setup try a thicker gague to get more life out of your strings. I get about 10-12 hours out of my setup. Either my crosses break or the poly is dead.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
02-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Blue gear = most spin

microgel
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
whats this blue gear? i cant find it in tenniswarehouse

2ndserveace
03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Blue Gear has the most spin. I would say that Focus Hex is the best overall spin string. BG feels very dead, but still provides average power. Great control. It is extremely durable especially since I use the 1.28 gauge. Focus Hex had great tension maintenance and great spin. It was solid in all categories, except it was a tiny bit underpowered.

hoodjem
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, 2ndserve is correct: MSV Hex has great spin and really nice feel for a poly.

Play with the tension till you find the right power-level.

serveitup911
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
The best spin string I have found is Luxilon Big Banger TiMo.

I literally just switched to this string. I had been using Pro Hurricane Tour 1.30, but was not getting the action I wanted from my shots. Lots of balls were sailing long on me.

With the TiMo, my topspin is ridiculous. I can hit as hard as I want, and the ball will drop in!

Not sure what gauges you are looking at, but I'm using the 17G (1.22 mm). It is also offered in 1.17 and 1.10. I'm sure those gauges would be even spinnier, but would not last long under heavy hitting.

I had been losing a lot of matches recently with my shots going a bit long. This is when I decided I needed to try another string; shots that I thought should go in were going out. I played my first match with the TiMo yesterday against the University of Georgia, and won. In fact, I was the only player on my team to win.

Needless to say, I just ordered a bunch of the TiMo.

Sorry if this post was a bit jumbled - I'm kind of excited about my new string.

Infl8edEg0
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
i'm expecting around 2 months. and i play around 4-6 times a week. it doesn't need to provide much power, but feel and comfort would be nice. a softer poly if possible.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure you can play 2 months with a poly...it would probably last but it would go dead within 3-4weeks max.

whats this blue gear? i cant find it in tenniswarehouse

Blue Gear isn't available at TW, it's from a company called Pro Supex and the website I would tell you to go to would be blocked. I'm planning on trying that stuff myself in a bit.

The Isospeed Pyramid, I felt, significantly helped me generate spin, but I also felt that it dropped tension much too quickly. I wouldn't buy it, personally, but you can give it a shot.

mawashi
03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I'll say that nothing, absolutely nothing comes close to producing spin as 18 gauge kevlar but it isn't for everyone.

It feels dead n if strung as a full bed is about as comfortable as a 2x4.

If used in a hybrid with syn gut or multi it is pretty ok in terms of comfort.

mawashi

takano_tezuka
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
i'm using spiky shark which IMO is 1 of the best textured spin strings ***. comparable to BG. But its even softer. which means after a month the gears 'fade' turns smooth.

naylor
03-03-2009, 12:54 AM
It's actually not harsh for a poly.

I have used Blue Gear 16g and found it good for spin but very board-like with no feel - I'd probably get sick of that feeling and cut it before I got to the playability end of the same frame strung with Hex, so for me hex wins that one. Of the two top (IMO) ProSupex offerings, I rate Big Ace 16g higher than Blue Gear 16g (very similar spin, much nicer - as in some, rather than no - feel).

Again, I would still go for 1.10 Hex before BA 16g, but I admit I haven't used BA in a thinner gauge to compare it properly with. Still, I'm now playing with an all-poly set-up (hex 1.10 - I've invested in 3 reels) even though I would never have gone all-poly in the past because of shoulder problems. But I have to say that I have experienced an overnight switch from playable to non-playable in a pair of hex frames, so I'm watching out for similar occurrences in my next restrings to see if I need to change my rotation policy (at present, alternative hits).

Having said all that, I must say I use poly to increase my spin capability (I'm normally a flat hitter, and I want to get greater net clearance with the same tight depth), rather than being a spin-merchant in the first place and looking for extra spin to tie my opponent in knots by the back-fence.

Enjoy!

Lloyd Barcenilla
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Could i just ask,

Which would play with more spin/control

Topspin cyber blue which is softer (imo) at higher tension
Or Big ace micro at lower tension which is stiffer (imo)

jackson vile
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm looking into several strings, all polyester because i break my string ver fast. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me strings that will give me the most spin? here's some strings i had in mind...

Isospeed Pyramid
Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour
Signum Pro-Poly Speed Spin
Wilson Enduro Mono
Pacific Polyforce

Need to take a look at the MSV line as well, the other two worth while are the Isospeed and the Blue Gear.

Luminous
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
+1 for Blue Gear! Great stringing offering access to alot of spin!

JRstriker12
03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I use a Blue Gear / Goosen hybrid in my PDR. Love it. Give BG a shot.

microgel
03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
the blue gear looks promising... hows the tension maintenance, feel, and comfort on it?

T1000
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
blue gear and pht

stanfordtennis alum
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
spin strings that have worked for me:
Pro supex blue gear
PHT

tennisoscar1
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
technifibre xone biphase 17 are great for my kblade tour

Carlito
03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
There is little arguement that Blue Gear is the most textured and provides the most grip. But I think there is more to producing spin then the texture of the string. Blue gear was OK for me but it was soo darn harsh. I just didn't feel like I was getting enough ball pocketing with it. I use a lot of poly and BG was OK but lacked feel.

I like to use Timo 18 or Fluoro on the main (the thinner the guage the more spin) and something like prince top spin on the crosses. That way I get texture with the crosses and the main still provides feel. I get lots of spin with this hybrid and still some good touch.

Superman1272
03-11-2009, 08:05 AM
I am going to have to say Babolat Pro Hurricane 18g.

It is the softest poly available (softer than a lot of synthetics).

The only thing is... with it being such a small gauge it does not retain it tension very well and could lead to breaking sooner than other polys.

Still it does provide me with a helluva lota spin when in the mains.

scotus
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM
The best spin string I have found is Luxilon Big Banger TiMo.

I literally just switched to this string. I had been using Pro Hurricane Tour 1.30, but was not getting the action I wanted from my shots. Lots of balls were sailing long on me.

With the TiMo, my topspin is ridiculous. I can hit as hard as I want, and the ball will drop in!

Not sure what gauges you are looking at, but I'm using the 17G (1.22 mm). It is also offered in 1.17 and 1.10. I'm sure those gauges would be even spinnier, but would not last long under heavy hitting.

I had been losing a lot of matches recently with my shots going a bit long. This is when I decided I needed to try another string; shots that I thought should go in were going out. I played my first match with the TiMo yesterday against the University of Georgia, and won. In fact, I was the only player on my team to win.

Needless to say, I just ordered a bunch of the TiMo.

Sorry if this post was a bit jumbled - I'm kind of excited about my new string.

You mean your school doesn't offer strings and stringing service to you for free? :)

microgel
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
most schools dont give out strings and string racquets for free... and has anyone tried the new gamma zo twist strings?

Xtreme
04-13-2009, 10:50 PM
blue gear or alu ruff

Brent Pederson
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I've got to put in a plug for the signum pro poly spin. It's pretty soft feeling, and really grips the ball well. It kind of feels like gummy string, soft but grippy, with pretty good power too.

microgel
04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
I've got to put in a plug for the signum pro poly spin. It's pretty soft feeling, and really grips the ball well. It kind of feels like gummy string, soft but grippy, with pretty good power too.

thats the yellow string thats really cheap right? supposed to be pyramid, but feels more like a gear.

prosealster
04-15-2009, 09:13 PM
i vote for blue gear...i prefer it in a hybrid....comfy and still have massive spin....it does rip up the balls though

Il Mostro
04-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Co-sign on BG for a hybrid setup. Maxim Touch or Forten Sweet in the X's at your preferred tension and BG tension lowered by approximately 10% in the M's are terrific. The spin in this set-up is to be expected, but the feel and comfort are a very pleasant surprise. Everyone who has tried this on my test racquets gave it a thumbs-up, even those who do not play poly. I did bite on the Spiky Shark 3 for 2 deal and will hopefully get around try trying those soon.

old coach
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Use Blue Gear as hybrid and you may see a magic. Great spin and feel.:)

microgel
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
sounds good. gonna have to try the blue gear. has anyone tried the new gamma zo twist 16g? it looks promising.