PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeves when playing/rallying?

sonicboi21
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
One of my pet peeves when im rallying is when my opponent hits the ball out, and i try to save it and its a weak ball that's floating there, and instead of hitting a medium paced ball so i could go back in position, he either hits a winner or a drop shot. Any of yo guys have pet peeves?

Craig8592505
02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, along the same lines, people that try to hit winners during warm-up.

RoddickAce
02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
My current pet peeves are mostly about my friend, who just learned tennis for less than a month.

-He launches the ball everywhere and disturbs other people's rallies, and proceeds to slowly pick up the balls -->wasting court time.

-I tell him to stand close to the service box to practice slow rallies, and he decides to stay at the baseline altho he can't even control a slow rally of more than 2 shots from the service box.

-When starting a practice rally, hits it opposite from where I am (and about 5 feet out). I don't even bother running for, and he cheers as if he hit a great winner.

raiden031
02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
I think my biggest pet peeve of all time is when people use a damn hopper when they are just hitting with each other. It is always very low-level players and it is unnecessary to use a ball hopper unless 1) you are giving lessons or 2) you are practicing your serves. I can get more than enough ground-stroke practice in with 6-8 balls. It annoys me because 1) their balls get all over my court and 2) they NEVER stop and retrieve my ball when it goes over there and gets mixed in with theirs. Instead I have to run to the end of their court and get it myself so it doesn't get lost in the mix.

Caloi
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Wind. Gawd forsaken wind. I loathe wind.

I also can't stand it when I head to the courts after a nice warm up and find snow 4" thick where the wind blockers are shading the courts. 65 a couple weeks ago and couldn't play due to the iceberg in the shaded areas.:mad:

LeeD
02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
For me, worse is warmups, a really big hitter, just pushing it back high and slow, moon and underspin, never allowing you to warm up against his normal 80mph groundies. He's young, already warmed up. I'm old, just walked on....

randomname
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I dont mind people who hit winners when we're practicing (your supposed to actually be practicing how you would play in a match) although warmups are a different story. My biggest pet peeve though, is when people hit the ball so short it lands in the middle of the service box and is practically rolling by the time it gets to the baseline.

JavierLW
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I think my biggest pet peeve of all time is when people use a damn hopper when they are just hitting with each other. It is always very low-level players and it is unnecessary to use a ball hopper unless 1) you are giving lessons or 2) you are practicing your serves. I can get more than enough ground-stroke practice in with 6-8 balls. It annoys me because 1) their balls get all over my court and 2) they NEVER stop and retrieve my ball when it goes over there and gets mixed in with theirs. Instead I have to run to the end of their court and get it myself so it doesn't get lost in the mix.

Sometimes they need a hopper because they dont know how to feed balls and they cant keep it in play.

Im annoyed as well when my ball (from a real match) goes onto one of these courts full of 23,000 tennis balls.

I swear it's been pretty common lately that usually it's a couple people who will totally ignore us when we ask them to return our ball so we go ahead and run onto their court.

mixertefera
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
when people sever and decide to hit one hard and then the next one so it dose not even get to the baseline before it bounces againg

Djokovicfan4life
02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
People who swing at net and/or continue to crush their first serve when they haven't made one the entire set.

theZig
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
players who incessantly make excuses as to why they're having a bad day. you know, your typical "i'm not even trying" for why you just fed them a bagel. "i wasn't serious" "it's just tennis" lolwut? note that i'm not gloating or poking fun at them when they say it, they'll say them as soon as we meet at the net to shake hands.

Korangster
02-16-2009, 03:40 PM
when im warming up my volleys, ill feed it and then my partner will just hit a passing shot or a lob so i cant practice volleys in a warmup

Kenny022593
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
right now its when your partner is practicing volleys and they keep hitting a damn drop volley so you cant give it to them again

m.dubya24
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
my pet peeve is when i play with a group or a friend and when it is time to pick up the balls the hit it back to the other side instead of picking the balls up and putting them in the hopper or basket...it bothers me.....also when people try to go for winners during a feed all the time, it wouldn't bother me if it weren't all the time but it is...

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
1. The guy calls an "in" ball out.
2. I once played a guy who would yell at me when I tried to charge the net. He was like "get the F(expletive) back there!"

Steady Eddy
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Mine's similar to what you said. He'll hit a shot wide, I run wide to keep the rally going, then he hits to the opposite side for a winner. They'll say, "I didn't mean to." But somehow, it always gets hit into the open court. Often I make no attempt to even return to the center because I want to rally, not just run alot. People, ignore the court lines, hit to your rally partner, then it's ok to be wide, if it's still to him.

Jim A
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
playing Canadian doubles and the 2 on the other side keep trying to paint the lines, seems to be a 3.0 thing...the 4's will rally all day long and keep the ball in play consistent, etc while the 3.0's just try to crack winners on every shot..

Caloi
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I guess my biggest pet peeve would be that I have the new cans of balls every time I hit. i don't mind hitting a can that's been used before if we're just hitting around and the balls have some bounce. If we're playing points I don't want the used balls that don't bounce past my ankles given the drop test from shoulder height.