PDA

View Full Version : Heart Pounding

Ramirez
02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi,I have a problem whenever I enter competitive matches or play agains complete strangers...... My heart will start to pound very quickly... How can I overcome this?

BobFL
02-16-2009, 08:34 PM
That is OK. It will go away with experience and it usually goes away once you start to play and move your feet...

Julieta
02-17-2009, 04:20 AM
I agree. It usually stops later in the match as well. You might try some sort of in between point ritual, such as Jim Loehr's four stages. You can google that. Basically you take a deep breath, reset yourself, plan your next step and then execute. It can calm you down between points and get your heart rate down. You may need to work out more too.

fuzz nation
02-17-2009, 06:16 AM
I understand that you're describing more of a nervous thing than a physical issue that gets your ticker pumping, but if I have time, I like to get a little bit of a jog or something in ahead of a match so that I'm not going from idle to full throttle on the court. If I don't, I'm generally more twitchy and distracted at the outset of a match. It could be that the short jog either deflects or even diffuses that nervous energy before I start my pre-match warm-up, but whatever it is, I feel a lot better if my engine is already running before I get out on the court.

LeeD
02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Heartbeat fast, take several full breathes, slow down your movement between points, take your time getting into ready position. They won't serve until YOU are ready.
When you serve, they can't return until YOU decide to serve, so pull a DJ and bounce the ball until you feel relaxed again.

Bagumbawalla
02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
The reason you are nervous is you lack confidence and are trying your best to-- just not look bad out there.

The best thing you can do is cut back on playing games/matches for a while and concentrate on improving your strokes/shots.

When you get to the point where you have absolute confidence in your strokes you can go out there and just hit the ball and not worry about the other player or how you will look.

dennis10is
02-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi,I have a problem whenever I enter competitive matches or play agains complete strangers...... My heart will start to pound very quickly... How can I overcome this?

Question: Can you recall other situation when you notice that your heart pounds? Not just playing tennis as in the above scenario but in other situation?

If you answer yes, you may want to speak to a psychiatrist or psychologist. You may be close to having a panic attack or suffers from axiety disorders.

May want to remove stimulants from your diet when you know that you will be in a potential stressful social situation. By this I mean, sugar, caffeine. For many, just removing these two additives works wonders. Other steps would be to practice relaxation techniques.

Lastly, it is normal to be stressed in the situation you describe but repetitive heart pounding is not the type of response that you want to endure for the rest of your life. It can lead to cardio-vascular disease if left unchecked.

Bud
02-17-2009, 07:26 PM

That's called a mild panic attack... Basically, you're nervous.

Keep playing matches and it will lessen amd may eventually go completely away.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Heart pounding...
Ever... race a motocross race? 40 guys, 6' wide first turn..
race the Oakland Supercross? 20 guys, Sat., all your buds watching..
race a roadrace? 30 guys, LeMan's start, and you gotta push your bike to start it....no kick starter, dead engine.
compete in a 4A Surf contest?
first paddle out at Wiamea?
Lead the Oneill Classic for one full lap before reality sets in?
First off to jump Men's 11 with CamilleDuval watching with your friends?
Take it from me, tennis is easy stress compared to some of the above.
Take deep breathes, slow down, focus inwards, block out the side distractions and focus dead ahead.

dman72
02-18-2009, 09:15 AM
I get this all the time at the very beginning of any sporting activity...a pick up basketball game, a softball game, a tennis match...it's just your bodies way of saying "here we go!!", and to me indicates my competitive nature.

If you stop really noticing it after a few minutes, it isn't an issue. If you feel it's stiffling you for an entire match, then you need to work on techniques to calm your nerves.

Racer41c
02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Heart pounding...
race a roadrace? 30 guys, LeMan's start, and you gotta push your bike to start it....no kick starter, dead engine.
Take deep breathes, slow down, focus inwards, block out the side distractions and focus dead ahead.

Dude you kill me. This is the same thought that goes through my head when I watch golf on TV and the comentators constantly talk about how much PRESSURE they're under.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, pressure and increased heartbeat, the butterflies, all that anxiety crap.
But it gets more serious when you invest $$$$ into the game, your friends are really watching, and it means something to you.
I don't know how many people tell me they rode motocross also, but they never raced for real. Me, over 300 organized races in 6 years, mostly always PAID my entry fee while oggling the trophies/trophiegirls/prize money. Possibly made over $10,000 in prize and sponsorship money, but easily spent over 70,000 out of my pocket for expenses. That's pressure.

SourStraws
02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd suggest to just start worrying about having more fun and less about winning.... Idk if it's the right approach for some ppl but it works for me, and I usually come out on top or doing really well..... I personally think having fun is the most important.... It really puts off the pressure

S.S.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Having fun...
Just what does that mean, in a tennis application.?
For sure, fun can be winning matches.
Fun can be playing well.
Fun can be immersing yourself in a new different enviorment.
Fun can be a # of different things for different players.
For me, fun is playing well, or doing anything well. Don't matter the results as long as I tried my hardest and did my best. Waay big pressure on dat one.

SourStraws
02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Having fun...
Just what does that mean, in a tennis application.?
For sure, fun can be winning matches.
Fun can be playing well.
Fun can be immersing yourself in a new different enviorment.
Fun can be a # of different things for different players.
For me, fun is playing well, or doing anything well. Don't matter the results as long as I tried my hardest and did my best. Waay big pressure on dat one.

A good response as always..... I never looked at it that way...... I would say the def. I go by is the last one..... But I have felt any pressure to win a match so far....

S.S.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
For me, it's mostly self induced pressure.
I have certain expectations of my abilities. When I don't reach them, I'm unhappy.
When I reach them, seems everything is hunky dory.
Most often, my expectations are slightly askewed too high, so I EXPECT to get points off 6.0 players, I expect to beat most Div11 singles players.
Alas, it's not to be mostly, so I'm usually unhappy with my play, and still compound pressures upon myself every new match.

LuckyR
02-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Propranolol.

rbq4h4
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Heart pounding...

this is right on. my brother work in a hospital, the pressure he have everyday is unreal. Probly more than some of the doctors. People always yeeling at him, telling im "i need my food now!" or get this cleaned up now! Makees tennis look simple, just like Lee said.

rbq4h4
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM

actually one other thing I just thought of = you might be having a minor heart attck, may want to get checked by a doctor.