PDA

View Full Version : Do you find that it is very difficult to keep to one style of play?

Ramirez
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I find it very difficult to maintain one style of hitting when playing competitively. For instance, when playing against my regular partner, I can simply focus on hitting the ball without thinking too much about my follow through. But when I play my other friend who uses heavy topspin, I need to focus a lot on my follow through in order to keep my shots in play. Then when I play anoher guy, I have to focus on keeping my eyes on his shots rather than my follow through........

Do you guys have the same experience? I find i very difficult to maintain one single style of hitting the ball in all my matches. What works against my regular doesn't work against another opponent...

user92626
02-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Hmm.. I do the similar but I wouldn't call it "styles". I have only one style. Different opponents just "highlight" different areas that I need to work on. For instance, with some people hitting slow enough I get a chance to work on hitting topspin, and with other people I need to shift focus on footwork, manely those hitting a little faster. Against net chargers I likely pay more attention to placement and passing shots.

halalula1234
02-17-2009, 01:35 AM
yep on faster flatter hitters i hardly have time to look at my follow throught and take back i just have to do it kinda unconsciously like naturally. but on top spin hitters i get to look at my shots more.

LeeD
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Tennis is a game between TWO players, each wanting to win, each deploying their best shots and trying to negate YOUR best shots.
Like any sport involving you and an opponent, you spend more than half the time and energy figuring out their play, and they do the same for you.
None of us are strong enough to impose OUR will and style of play unless we play beginners or the inexperienced.
So we always have to adjust our game somewhat to lots, depending on our opponent's game.

Djokovicfan4life
02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Why would I resign myself to one style of play? Tennis is about knowing how to adapt to your opponents, you know.

Prefer net rushing/serve and volleying though.

Matt

Ramirez
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Why would I resign myself to one style of play? Tennis is about knowing how to adapt to your opponents, you know.

Prefer net rushing/serve and volleying though.

Matt

Well, Agassi had very much one single style of play which is nailing ball after ball from the baseline.....

junbumkim
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
What you described is not really a "style" of play.

larry10s
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
you are describing is not playing style but what you focus on with your strokes . eventually you will not focus on strokes but strategy and styles