PDA

View Full Version : serve help [youtube video]

lawrence
02-17-2009, 12:17 AM
would like some advice on my serve, which seems to lack decent pace
im 5"5' so i always try to hit topspin instead of flat, using continental

im also not jumping very much in this, but its because i was scared of slipping when i landed (has been raining for the past week in sydney, this was filmed at 12 noon and it was still so dark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSCEiG8QWNY

btw some of the balls may look/sound different when i hit because they are different, didnt want to ruin all my newer balls in the puddles/rain so i picked out all the old balls lying around my backyard

Teamtomo
02-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Try to get your right arm lower down in the trophy position.

Good serve though.

lawrence
02-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Try to get your right arm lower down in the trophy position.

Good serve though.

Ah yeah, someone has told me to do that before but its something i can never remember lol, should i just try to get my elbow and ribcage to touch (or something close to that)

Kenny022593
02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
your toss looks like it needs to be higher too

LeeD
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Really dark for my old eyes...
Looks like you're attempting a cross slice/flat serve almost every time.
Your toss is well right, so not a true topspin, but could be topspin slice toss direction.
But your swing pronates almost flat on some serves, so you're kinda trying to hit the ball fast and flattish.
I'd say... make up your mind which serve you want to do.
And looks like you're swing really lazy and slow, hitting the ball about 1/2 speed for what you can really do.
So like most of the vids presented...not enough trying, not enough energy.
For flat serves, pronate fully to hit flat, hit ball as high as comfortable.
For topspin serves, cut into the ball with the leading edge of the racket, toss so it lands atop your head, and swing at least 1/4 FASTER, to impart more spin, to hit a SLOWER moving ball.
Separate your first serve from your second serves. They should be at least 30 mph difference in ball speed.

lawrence
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Really dark for my old eyes...
Looks like you're attempting a cross slice/flat serve almost every time.
Your toss is well right, so not a true topspin, but could be topspin slice toss direction.
But your swing pronates almost flat on some serves, so you're kinda trying to hit the ball fast and flattish.
I'd say... make up your mind which serve you want to do.
And looks like you're swing really lazy and slow, hitting the ball about 1/2 speed for what you can really do.
So like most of the vids presented...not enough trying, not enough energy.
For flat serves, pronate fully to hit flat, hit ball as high as comfortable.
For topspin serves, cut into the ball with the leading edge of the racket, toss so it lands atop your head, and swing at least 1/4 FASTER, to impart more spin, to hit a SLOWER moving ball.
Separate your first serve from your second serves. They should be at least 30 mph difference in ball speed.

hi, thanks for the list of tips
when i try to toss more toward the middle i usually find myself losing balance or framing the ball, but when i toss more to my right i find it easier to locate the ball and swing

any methods on helping this situation ?

LeeD
02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Usually, if you have problems contacting square and center with a toss over your head, you are not bending your knees or arching (try not to too much) your back.
Since I"m stiff and old, I bend my knees rather than arch my back.