PDA

View Full Version : RDis100 Mid Review Tomorrow afternoon...

mjwtpro1
02-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by mjwtpro1 View Post
I got my RDIS on Friday, the structure of the head is very similar to the rd-7, and it has triangular/hexagonal shape at the top of the head and in the throat, beams on the sides are like the rd-7....bottom of the throat is a new technology.... and it is not a pure 22 straight beam...it's a tad thicker down near the grip like previous yonex rd models...it's kind of like all the structural features of previous rd frames combined. I'll try and get a review up soon, and will bring my rds002 tour, rd ti-70 88" and prestige classic to compare to.

Up tomorrow afternoon....noonish
:)
M

mjwtpro1
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
OK so here goes...RDIS 100 Mid

Hit with the new mid this morning, brought some favorites to the court to compare to. My overall impression of this racquet is that it is a stiffer updated version of the RD-7, maybe similar to the RD 8...I brought along an rq 180, rd ti 70 88", and RDS 002 Tour...

Groundstrokes: The racquet feels quite a bit lighter than it's swingweight, in comparison to the 180 which has a buttery flexy feel...this racquet felt stiff in the hoop while maintaining some flex in the throat. Easy to vary pace, spin, quite manuverable. Off center hits did feel a bit brassy but were not as jarring as with the RDS 002 Tour....and while spin was available, it's not a spin machine ala rd-7 or even RDS 002 Tour. However...you get your bang for your buck when you hit the sweet spot which is indeed bigger than expected. When you make good contact...this frame *Pops* Plow through was good and I felt a bit more in control of my shots as opposed to the RDS 002 Tour, I string my racquets tight around 68 lbs. and I still had issues with the RDS, not the case here. Racquet shines particularly on slice shots....touch is impressive, but not the buttery feel of say RDX or RQ 180.

Serves: Racquet shines in this area, definitely plays bigger than a mid, felt a bit more flexy in the throat was able to hit with heavy pace, kick and slice..

Volleys: Again shines in this area, very crisp solid response from the string bed, doesn't have the touch of the 180, more control than the 002 Tour, excellent manuevaribility...excellent.

Minuses: Wish it swung a little heavier, and I wish Yonex would produce the rdis series with the leather grips they used to....I think it would add to the feel.

Surprise: RD Ti 70 88" what an awesome feeling classic racquet, enjoyed hitting with this for the first time...

M

T1000
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the review. Is this a good racquet for a big server who comes in off both serves and plays an agressive baseline game?

ferocious4hand
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
OK so here goes...RDIS 100 Mid

Minuses: Wish it swung a little heavier, and I wish Yonex would produce the rdis series with the leather grips they used to....I think it would add to the feel.

These are two element that can be fixed easily with lead tape and adding a leather grip.

How does it compare to the RQiS 1 Tour?

Dennis Anyone?
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Good review, racquet sounds appealing. And thanks for using other sticks as reference points. Helps draw a good picture. Do you have experience with the RDS 001 mid? Wondering if the RDiS feels significantly stiffer, as the specs suggest.

mjwtpro1
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Answers:

Frame is great for agressive baseliners and serves and volleys, no doubt in my mind, the great quality of this racquet is it's manuverability.

In comparison to the RDS001...I only had the mid-plus versions, 3 to be exact but this frame although stiffer in the hoop, felt more flexible in the throat...the technology down there is different so that may be why...I didn't like my RDS 001s because the whole frame felt very stiff to me...does that make sense?

RQIS Tour 1 I have tried...this seemed to have more spin potential but less power...it has a way softer feel, the string bed hoop area in the new rdis is much crisper.

I'll state again, this new frame seems to incorporate a bunch of rd technologies....but reminds me of a more powerful version of the older original rd lines from cosmetics, to frame construction etc...completely different from say rd ti 50 or rd ti 80, just my opinion though...:)

M

canadave
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
can you elaborate on the "brassy" comment on off-centre hits? That's what the TW folks said as well. Is there a great deal of vibration, or just a little bit of a metallic feel, or what? Is it possible that's due to the string setup? How big is the sweetspot relatively speaking?

Thanks...your answers may determine whether I buy the frame. No pressure! :)

mjwtpro1
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
The feeling I got was metallic but my string set up is tight...68lbs with OG Sheep Micro 17, and yonex vibration stopper....but again...the sweet spot is so big, I wasn't dealing with many off center hits....

Syfo-Dias
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I didn't find it to feel metallic on mishits, just very firm for the most part. This racquet doesn't get pushed around. I found it to be incredibly stable.

db379
02-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice review! I'm interested in your comparison to other yonexes. I tried the rquis tour and felt it was a good effort by yonex to blend flex in the throat and stiffness in the upper part of the hoop . However, I felt it was difficult to hit BIG, heavy balls. Also, control was lacking was not pinpoint as I like. How would you say the rdis compare to the rquis in these two areas?

db379
02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
BTW, agree with you that the ti 70 88 is a great stick! Can you make any comparison in terms of feel, control?