PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a difference between all the polys out there?

KBlade
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
I've played with several polys throughout my tennis life, and I honestly never could tell the difference between them. IMO, all polys are just stiff control strings with spin slightly better than that of a synthetic gut/multi. The only poly that stood out was Big Ace, but only due to its softness.

I need a reel of poly strings. I've been researching all the different strings out there. Some cost $100 per reel, some $150, and of course the $200+ Luxilon. I just think its silly to spend $265 (or whatever) on a reel of ALU when I get can CyberFlash for $70.

That's just my 2 cents, although I'm sure other people are very picky with their strings. Personally, all strings feel the same to me :oops:

JesseT
02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
it's what you like. to the absurd - if you won the us open with yarn, would you take our advice?

if theyre all the same to your game, get the cheapest and restring frequently.

iif youre undecided, take a sampling. get a full job of BB, of Cyberflash, and a couple in-between. If your opinion doesnt change, youre done.

finally, if you absolutely need our approval, cut n paste when needed:

"We totally agreee with you! What a great choice!"

harrychiu012
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Have you play with luxilon big banger strings vs kischbaum pro line 2? They have a big differences in play.

There's what they called poly and co-poly. Some are hard like cardboard (string with gut or syn. gut on the cross) and some are not as stiff and gives decent ball pocketing for poly.

Big Ace, Blue gear, Cyberflash, Cyberblue are poly that have good quality... and under $100 a reel... and I do agree luxilon prices are ridiculous... but not all poly are the same.
There is a web site that show the stiffness rating for each poly... do a search.

Drewwonu
02-18-2009, 05:17 AM
"We totally agreee with you! What a great choice!"

T1000
02-18-2009, 06:15 AM
if the string doesn't matter, get the cheapest one. imo cyberflash and bb alu power and virtually the same string, except for the brand name and price

davidahenry
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
if the string doesn't matter, get the cheapest one. imo cyberflash and bb alu power and virtually the same string, except for the brand name and price

I don't agree. I think CF is about the closest poly to Alu, but it is not Alu. Freshly strung Alu, IMO, has a crispness and bite that I don't find in any other poly. (And for even more bite, I prefer Alu Power Rough.)

I've recently played with full beds of both Alu and CF, and while CF is an excellent poly, it doesn't measure up to Alu in my book. Is Alu worth the extra money though? That is certainly debatle, but for me right now, yes.

Take care.

DH

NickC
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
"We totally agree with you! What a great choice!"

Kevo
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I think if you experiment a bit with different tensions and polys you will eventually find out that there are differences. Having said that, Cyberflash is pretty close to ALU, and I would choose Cyberflash over ALU for price, but also for tension maintenance. Some people would go for ALU just for the feel.

But, since you don't see that much difference, I say you're lucky. Buy the Cyberflash and be happy.

"We totally agree with you! What a great choice!"

hoodjem
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I think there is a big difference among all the polys: just try SPPP versus Lux BB Ace versus MSV Hex.

One plays dull and muted forever; one plays crisp and great but only for a few hours; one plays fairly soft but with lots of feel.

You guess which one's which.

And I didn't even describe CF.

Okazaki Fragment
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I need a reel of poly strings. I've been researching all the different strings out there. Some cost $100 per reel, some $150, and of course the $200+ Luxilon. I just think its silly to spend $265 (or whatever) on a reel of ALU when I get can CyberFlash for $70.

That's just my 2 cents, although I'm sure other people are very picky with their strings. Personally, all strings feel the same to me :oops:

There's a difference in the strings but you're right, $200+ for a reel of Luxilion is insane. Then again, I hear about these people who pay $6000/year in membership fees... It must be nice to be insanely rich.

hoodjem
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
It must be nice to be insanely rich.

Ah yes, the joys of capitalism.