PDA

View Full Version : I'm a n00b, need advice.

slicefox
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I need some new strings for my Wilson HyperHammer 2.3

I want good spin and accuracy. I know nothing about strings, so I'd like to get some advice. I want something no more than 20-30 bucks. Links are great. Thanks.

EDIT:

P.S. I also want some strings that are durable, the ones I have now get severely warped when I do a heavy spin hit. The strings just curve and don't stay straight. I don't know if it's the string's fault or what, but I don't like it.

P.P.S My frame is very very light, made of carbon fiber. I don't know if this matters.

mawashi
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Only poly strings stay in place n don't move about much, most other strings even kevlar will move if you keep hitting the ball in the same spot.

If you want cheap strings check out the other thread on cheap strings. Basically Gosen OG sheep n Prince syn gut are decent n cheap string.

mawashi

Valjean
02-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Since you apparently need to pay someone else, you should list here with us what strings they offer.

What you complain of likely stems from tension loss over time; how recently was your racquet re-strung, too? Raising your tension would help as well, and there are also inserts called string savers you can apply yourself to the string intersections and slow the movement down.

T1000
02-18-2009, 06:23 AM
topspin cyberflash is a cheap string, $70 for a reel.

hoodjem
02-18-2009, 06:48 AM
I need some new strings for my Wilson HyperHammer 2.3

I want good spin and accuracy. I know nothing about strings, so I'd like to get some advice. I want something no more than 20-30 bucks. Links are great. Thanks.

We need more info: what strings do you have available? Any polys or multis or synthetic guts? What gauges?

slicefox
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't know, I just want some string I can take down to the local Sports Authority and have them put on my racquet for 12 bucks.

If you bring your own string, they charge $12, if you buy the string from them it's free stringing but I think they charge a lot for the string. Last time I paid 20 bucks for some nylon strings and they put them on free, but I checked online afterwards and the strings I bought were like $5 at TW. So I could buy that from here, so $5 + $12 for labor = $17 < $20 that I paid.

But these apparently were $5 strings, I can't remember exactly because it was 2 years go. I would pay $15 string + $12 labor to have my racquet restrung if I can get some good stuff.

And yes, "string savers" is a good idea, I didn't know those existed. I was trying to do something like that with epoxy glue, but the glue came off when I hit with it. Do those rubber things even stay on? I don't want to have them fly all over the place.

eastchop
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
If your racquet was strung 2 years ago it has probably lost a lot of tension and that is why the strings are moving so much

hoodjem
02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
. So I could buy that from here, so $5 + $12 for labor = $17 < $20 that I paid.

Don't forget the shipping: $5 + $4 + $12 = $21

Get some Gosen OG Micro 17 or 18 gauge: $3.95 (plus shipping)

slicefox
02-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Those strings look kind of cheap. I'd rather pay extra for better strings instead of paying $12 all the time to have my racquet re-strung.