PDA

View Full Version : Dampener Vs String Savers

Tsonga nDance
02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Whats the difference in the feel of dampness.(grammar?) Anyways. Do the string savers take away more feel than the dampeners? A list would be nice from anyone that knows.

harrychiu012
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Dampener and string savers are two complete different thing, also different function.

Dampener is to reduce vibration, make the sound of the racquet more muted.
String savers are to prolong the string's live by reducing the fiction between the mains and the cross. Also they are used to reduce movement of synthetic gut or natural gut; they increase the tension a bit... depends on how much you put it.

Bud
02-17-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't notice any dampening effect from String Savers. They do, however, slightly increase the stringbed tension.

Tsonga nDance
02-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Oh. I see. I remember reading somewhere they dampen too? Well nvm then, thanks.

knasty131
02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
So maybe Federer strings his rackets lower so the string savers increase his stringbed tension?

Do string savers increase spin due to the raising of the strings?

diredesire
02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Oh. I see. I remember reading somewhere they dampen too? Well nvm then, thanks.
I think you are referring to powerpads.

So maybe Federer strings his rackets lower so the string savers increase his stringbed tension?

Do string savers increase spin due to the raising of the strings?
Fed only uses one row of string savers (5 total?). I don't think it's much more than a superstition.

The second point is debatable, string savers also restrict movement, so it might be a conflict.

Be Cool
03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
string savers are to save your strings, not spin the ball.

it will how ever have a dampening effect, since the tension is increased.

pennc94
03-02-2009, 07:08 AM
The miniscule amount of increase in tension due to string savers is not likely to be noticed by the vast majority of players.

There is no noticeable reduction in string vibration.

String savers alow string to slide with reduced friction. That is all.