PDA

View Full Version : How can I practice when I'm not on a court?

breadstick
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
The title pretty much explains it, but I'm wondering if the rest of you have any tips on how to practice when it's raining/can't get to a court.

I've been working on my ball toss by putting my racquet at my feet and trying to toss it so it lands on the string-bed.

Does anyone have any tips similar to this?

Thanks, Simon.

jessey
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
ball toss is a good thing to practise. You can also shadow all of your strokes. Another thing you can do is to do some weight training and strengthen your muscle, especially your forearms--helps with your power and stability and prevents TE or GE.

breadstick
02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
ball toss is a good thing to practise. You can also shadow all of your strokes. Another thing you can do is to do some weight training and strengthen your muscle, especially your forearms--helps with your power and stability and prevents TE or GE.
Yeah I've been hitting the gym 4 times a week for about a year now. I've also been working on my forearms recently because I developed forearm splints from a forearm-bicep muscle imbalance.

I've been interval training too to improve my acceleration.

Zeppy
02-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I suppose you can practice swinging your racket in an open area. Don't swing too fast and pay attention to details like bending your knees, relaxing your grip, moving your weight forward, and the little things.

I don't know if it really helps so if I'm wrong, please correct me.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm for shadow swinging also. Sometimes, I don't play from April thru Nov., so it's a good chance to use the muscles and the whole kinetic chain.
Of course, it helps to have correct strokes to start with.
Shadow or mirror helps keep form within reason.

coach
02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
good ideas posted above. I would also consider time on this board as time well spent. ALso reading tennis blogs--- not so much Pro Tennis stuff, but I think about strategy and technique. Here is a guy -Ron Waite- who I respect and should read more of-- check him out http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo-archive.html and here is my own modest blog as well. http://paul-ihearttennis.blogspot.com/.

As far as physical conditioning, yoga is catching on more and more in my over 40 (and 50) age group in Los Angeles, to help with flexibility and core strength.

dr325i
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
get a wii....

Julieta
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
You can get a medicine ball to throw using forehand or backhand motions. You can also throw it against the wall and practice footwork patterns with it.

Blake0
02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
What I do when i want to practice tennis and its raining or can't go out:
shadow my groundstrokes, volleys, and serve with the pre-stroke trainer (it's this yellow circular thing which u put on onto the strings of your racket to practice strokes with)
work on my footwork at net & groundstrokes.
watch tennis matches on youtube.

Blake0
02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
oh and i forgot, I also use a 5 lb weight to practice my forehand, my coach said it helps in getting more power on your strokes. (i dont recommend going over 10 lbs).

larry10s
02-21-2009, 02:42 PM
get a foam ball. you can volley agaist the walls in your house with no problem. this something else people say is helpful http://practicehit.com/

LeeD
02-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Some people here on the forums say that shadow swinging is NO good practice and does little good.
I am only representing them here.
Me, I say anything done correctly is worth doing, so I"m countering my first sentence.