PDA

View Full Version : When You're Shaving.....

TripleB
03-01-2005, 07:25 AM
....what do you use???

TripleB

scez
03-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I used to use eletric shaver with the foil head because I didnt have much hair to shave, and didnt want to cut my pimples. But thx to the strongest stuff on the market I know use a razor without being afraid to cut anything.

matchpoints
03-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I use a cheapo $5 SHAVEMAN electric foil razor available at your local Wally World. Don't let the price fool ya.

hummer23
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Wally World. .
never heard of that. where are you from?

hummer23
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
o wait hold on, do you mean wal-mart? alright, i gotcha.

Cypo
03-01-2005, 10:44 PM
For which part of the body ?

Phil
03-01-2005, 10:47 PM
For which part of the body ?

None specified.

I don't need no "sticking" electricity. I use a butter knife.

My guess is this is Ben's way of soliciting (additional) advice on what he should buy-as we all know, he is incapable of making a consumer decision independently . Hey, Ben! Go down to your local CVS and just pick out something, anything, you nincompoop!

Datacipher
03-01-2005, 10:50 PM
None specified.

I don't need no "sticking" electricity. I use a butter knife.

Wimp. I pull out each thick whisker individually with tweezers. Helps remind me I'm still alive.

Phil
03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Wimp. I pull out each thick whisker individually with tweezers. Helps remind me I'm still alive.

I was right about you, man. I'm still gonna dig out that kevlar vest...just in case I need it.

ShooterMcMarco
03-02-2005, 12:08 AM
electric w/ foil head, its a braun cord/cordless. its about 7 years old, but it still works great

equinox
03-02-2005, 12:52 AM
I wet my face with water. Apply shaving foam. Shave with deposable razer blade.

fatboy
03-02-2005, 01:57 AM
wax. hmm more than 10 words

AAAA
03-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Gilette razor.

TripleB
03-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Phil but I just thought it would be an interesting poll. I use a Braun 7505 foil shaver that I've had a good while. Works fantastic so I'm not looking for a change!!!

TripleB

Brettolius
03-02-2005, 06:06 AM
quote: Wimp. I pull out each thick whisker individually with tweezers. Helps remind me I'm still alive.

that's what it feels like if i use an electric razor. feels like it's pulling every hair out by the follicle. (but i am a swarthy *******o) i swear by the mach 3. solid!!

TripleB
03-02-2005, 06:30 AM
quote:
that's what it feels like if i use an electric razor. feels like it's pulling every hair out by the follicle. (but i am a swarthy *******o) i swear by the mach 3. solid!!

I would use a Mach 3 (my nephew love's his) but blood stains are pretty hard to get out so I better stick to my electric :)

TripleB

atatu
03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
On weekends when I have time I use a disposable like the Mach 3, but most days I use my Norelco with the rotating heads while I'm driving to work....

ffrpg
03-02-2005, 07:47 AM
I normally use my Norelco because it's quick and easy to use. Whenever I need a deep and clean shave, I use my Mach 3.

@wright
03-02-2005, 08:38 AM
So no one else goes down to the corner barber shop for a hot shave with a straight razor every morning? Has Deuce responded yet?

Phil
03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Phil but I just thought it would be an interesting poll. I use a Braun 7505 foil shaver that I've had a good while. Works fantastic so I'm not looking for a change!!!

TripleB

So I guessed wrong. It happens, once every couple of years or so...

TripleB
03-03-2005, 06:44 AM
I really thought there would be a higher number of people who use electric shavers.

I have tried using razors similar to the Mach 3 (you lather up and shave with the 'grain' {to borrow a golf phrase since I'm currently coaching golf} right?) but it seems so difficult compared to an electric shaver.

What's the secret to shaving with one?

TripleB

chad shaver
03-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Shave with the grain? Lather up? I get out of the shower, grab the Mach 3 and start shaving a wet face. I also shave north, south, east and west. It doesn't bother me in the least.

@wright,

I've had the barbershop shave and really enjoyed it. It is a weird experience, though, having somebody hold a straight razor to your neck.

TripleB
03-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Chad....maybe shaving with a razor is like my tennis game....if I think about it too much while doing it I get in trouble :)

TripleB

Kevin T
03-03-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm the one guy that voted other. No shaving for me, just the Grizzly Adams look. I had long hair forever. Used to wear it down to the hospital/university and sometimes put it up into a samaurai knot a la Rafter. My wife was really digging me back then. Everybody said I looked like Scott Stapp from Creed. Ewww!! I could get away with it because everyone knew I was 1/2 Native American and they didn't want to seem insensitive. We Indians need to have longer hair you know?! The only time PC has ever worked in my life. Anyway, the wife conned me into cutting it last May and I've been bummed ever since. Not only is it short now but it's also rapidly turning gray. So what did I do...touche...I grew a big, fuzzy beard. It's nice and spotty thanks to my Dad's side of the family. And guess what? Now it's starting to turn gray. Bummer turning 30. As for razors, I used to swear by the Gillette Sensor. Another funny side note is that the hair on the right side of my face and head grows up while the other side grows down!! Crazy world. That's what the genetic lottery awards when a Pamunkey marries a Scot.

Deuce
03-04-2005, 12:54 AM
So no one else goes down to the corner barber shop for a hot shave with a straight razor every morning? Has Deuce responded yet?

Actually...

A few years ago, I was determined to go the straight razor route. Looking into it, however, revealed that the price of these things was insanely high. So I decided to wander by the old neighborhood Italian barber shop to see if they had one they'd sell me. The three well experienced Italians there had been cutting hair and shaving people since about 100 years before I was born.

They produced a straight razor that they agreed to sell me - for only $10 - but only on one condition: that they teach me how to use it first. They didn't want to be held responsible if I slashed my throat.

So up into the chair I went. They lathered me up. Gave me the blade. Asked me to just hold it, as I would hold it to shave. I did.
"NONONONONO - not-a like-a that! Like-a THIS!"

I tried again, adjusting my grip.

"NONONONONO - not-a like-a that! Like-a THIS!"

Again, I tried. Same result. Finally, one of them began shaving me, demonstrating the proper technique. Try as I might, I couldn't satisfy them with any of my efforts. Complicated stuff, being a Luddite.

Finally, I gave up. I still wanted the blade, though. "I'll learn it eventually," I told them.

"NONONONONO!" They refused to sell me the damn thing, as I had shown that I'd be a danger to myself with it.

The whole circumstance took about a half hour, and was done with big smiles and much laughter all around.

Sadly, the shop is no longer. Even more sadly, I now plug in a Norelco. But only every 3 or 4 days...

@wright
03-04-2005, 05:37 AM
TripleB, I think you should have had "both" as an option also. I actually use a 3 foil electric norelco above my jawline, and a mach 3 under the jawline. For whatever reason, electric razors irritate the $&*% out of my neck. It gets all red and chewed up and takes days to heal...

Kaptain Karl
03-04-2005, 06:38 AM
My dad used a Remington electric (pre-foil). You know, the triple head thing; not rotary. So that's what I used. Now I use their foil shaver.

Never considered a razor. (Although my 1977 doubles partner, also dad-influenced, shaved then -- and still does today -- with a straight razor.)

About six months into my first job out of college, I awoke to a broken shaver. (Aack!) I quickly walked the five doors to a drug store and returned with my first razor (Bic disposable, twin blade).

I was *terrified* I was gonna slice my own throat, bleed out on the floor of the bathroom and not be found for days. (I was a territory salesman. I averaged about one appearance per week in the office. Nobody would miss me...!)

It took me no less than 45 minutes to shave. I nicked myself only about six times. My first stop on the road was the shaver repair shop. They fixed it while I waited. I shoulda gone there instead of the drug store.

I've never shaved with a razor since.

You guys who shave in the car make me green with envy. I'd make a mess of my shirt, my suit and the car with my whisker-waste, if I did that.

"Hirsute" describes me ... inadequately. I used to shave my beard each summer. Every Thanksgiving break I'd grow it back. Co-workers were always amazed that my beard would be fully grown-in ... in just over two weeks.

Kevin - I'm also one-half Scot and have the same weird grain thing. On the right side of my neck, just below my jaw, my whisker grain is actually circular. Is it only Scot beard grain which does that? Hmmm...

- KK

TripleB
03-04-2005, 06:47 AM
K. K. - I guess that's what got me considering this post. I was shaving (with my Braun foil) a while back and I looked up and my neck was bleeding. Looked at my shaver and there was blood on it. Come to find out the foiled had 3 slight "tears" in it and was cutting my neck. I was only half way through shaving so I had to shave the rest of the way trying to avoid the tears in the foil. Painful shaving!!! I didn't have another shaver and I didn't have a straight razor. I bought another foil that afternoon but it got me to thinking that maybe I should learn to use a razor (or go ahead and buy an extra foil - $23) in case that situation were to arrise again. I agree about the guys shaving in the car....I have shaving clippings coming out of my shaver all the time....they would be all over my collar if I shaved in the car.

@wright...that's a great idea. I have the same problems with the bumps on my neck. I thought it was my collar irritating it so bad but it probably does start with my shaving.

One serious question I do have: It it problem shaving over moles with a razor? I've got a couple moles on my neck and I've always been afraid to use a razor for fear of shaving off the tops of them.

TripleB

@wright
03-04-2005, 08:01 AM
BBB - not sure about the mole thing, it works for me, but I don't have moles. Maybe you should consider wax or Nair? Anyone Nair their face? I remember on an old epil-stop commercial they would show a guy who had epil-stopped half his face, interesting idea, you'd never have to shave...not sure if it was reversible. I work with a guy who has a disease where he doesn't grow hair - anywhere, no arm hair, no eyebrows, no facial hair.

TripleB
03-04-2005, 08:06 AM
The husband of a coworker 'Naired' between his eyebrows and it left a permanent scare....go figure!!!

TripleB

david aames
03-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, welcome to Deuceworld. 2 guys spend 30 minutes of their shift so that you have a story to tell and didn't make a sale.

Is that in essence how you think the economy should work? Go to other people and offer to buy their stuff for a bargain? Nike beware, Deuce is after you for a close shave!

Sadly, the shop is no longer. Even more sadly, I now plug in a Norelco. But only every 3 or 4 days...

Richie Rich
03-04-2005, 08:36 AM
electric doesn't give me a close enough shave. then again i only shave twice a week.

chad shaver
03-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Regarding the mole shaving....DON'T. Go to the Dr. and have them removed. I nicked one years ago and it bled for HOURS.

Tenny
03-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I wet my face with water. Apply shaving foam. Shave with deposable razer blade.

Me, too. Simple, cheap and neat!

K!ck5w3rvE
03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Electric Shaver with the Foil Head pj over my Electric Shaver with 3 Rotating Heads.

Deuce
03-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Yes - three old barbers and I had a great time...
... and that p!sses Aames off. To the point where he desperately tries to turn it into something negative. Rather twisted, isn't it?

Anywhere and everywhere, there is no depth to which Aames will not sink to perpetuate his bizarre obsession with me. It is the definition of sickness.

I, at least, have the pleasure of knowing that every single move I make irritates the crap out of this incredibly small man.

danniflava
03-05-2005, 05:20 AM
electric doesn't give me a close enough shave. then again i only shave twice a week.

HOW OLD ARE YOU??

My dad shave like 4 times a week, if not more.

TripleB
03-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Chad...I had to learn the hard way. Shaved this morning with a razor and wasn't careful enough around a mole on my chin....it took me thirty minutes to get it to stop bleeding...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

TripleB

equinox
03-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys for reminding me to shave tomorrow.