PDA

View Full Version : forearm loading timing in double-bend forehand

albesca
02-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Players uses different timing on loading their forearm (f.arm supination) before to roll it and drive the r. face for conctact. Seeing videos about shots from baseline, man often starts their forward movement with r. head up and relaxed arm, then loads (..stretch) the forearm during the shoulder rotation in forward swing, and roll it (f.arm pronat.) to snap the r. face to the ball. Many woman starts with r.head pointing back so loads shoulders (trunc) and forearm on the some time, then swing forward and roll.
Is it only a difference between "multi-segment" and "unit turn" ?
How and when we have to use the one and the other ?
Does it depend from speed of incoming ball (example. on first serve return ) ?
Does it depend from target of the shot ( winner, approach, drive ..) ?
Is it only a player habit ?
Many thanks.

LeeD
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Of course it depends on all you mentioned. Every variable introduces a different reaction, therefore, you have to hit hundreds of thousands of tennis balls to figure out what works best for YOU !!
There are no technique guidelines that apply all the time. Theory is useless if we are living in the real world.
Mens generally have stronger upper bodys, so swing are different than women's.
And aggressive personalities tend to swing forehands differently than passive people.
It ALL MAKES A DIFFERENCE !

pushing_wins
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Players uses different timing on loading their forearm (f.arm supination) before to roll it and drive the r. face for conctact. Seeing videos about shots from baseline, man often starts their forward movement with r. head up and relaxed arm, then loads (..stretch) the forearm during the shoulder rotation in forward swing, and roll it (f.arm pronat.) to snap the r. face to the ball. Many woman starts with r.head pointing back so loads shoulders (trunc) and forearm on the some time, then swing forward and roll.
Is it only a difference between "multi-segment" and "unit turn" ?
How and when we have to use the one and the other ?
Does it depend from speed of incoming ball (example. on first serve return ) ?
Does it depend from target of the shot ( winner, approach, drive ..) ?
Is it only a player habit ?
Many thanks.

am i understanding you correctly? in other words, men loads later than women.

albesca
02-19-2009, 02:06 AM
am i understanding you correctly? in other words, men loads later than women.
Yes. this is what i seem. Obiouvsly man have to anticipate the begin of movement on respect to a woman because they needs a little more time to roll out the forearm during forward swing and roll it in to make conctact. Woman load all during back-swing, man load shoulder and trunk during back swing, but do a delay on forearm loading and load it during the forward swing,
then on videos you can see this kind of segmented movement.

See Federer forehand, he does a fluid snapping with forearm. Yes, he's special, but many modern players apply this kind of deley on loading the forearm to encrease the speed of the "rolling in". Seeing woman i can't see any snapping with forearm, they load trunk, shoulders and forearm at the some time. it would be interesting to experiment both movements on the court...this sunday i will try.

I am not sure i wrote the right, are only sensations.
sorry for my bad english.
Ciao
albesca

jb193
02-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I have to start my "loading" earlier than what I see the ATP male pros, which I guess is similar to the females..... And it so happens, that I am not a very strong person. Like LeeD said, everybody has to do what is best for you...

moopie
02-19-2009, 11:23 AM
There was a lot of discussion about this in the past. They called it "push vs pull" forehands, where a lot of WTA players tend to do a linear pushing forehand while ATP players tend to do a rotational pulling forehand.

Check out this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=149158

pushing_wins
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes. this is what i seem. Obiouvsly man have to anticipate the begin of movement on respect to a woman because they needs a little more time to roll out the forearm during forward swing and roll it in to make conctact. Woman load all during back-swing, man load shoulder and trunk during back swing, but do a delay on forearm loading and load it during the forward swing,
then on videos you can see this kind of segmented movement.

See Federer forehand, he does a fluid snapping with forearm. Yes, he's special, but many modern players apply this kind of deley on loading the forearm to encrease the speed of the "rolling in". Seeing woman i can't see any snapping with forearm, they load trunk, shoulders and forearm at the some time. it would be interesting to experiment both movements on the court...this sunday i will try.

I am not sure i wrote the right, are only sensations.
sorry for my bad english.
Ciao
albesca

my writing skills are also terrible.

do you notice this? guga, djokovic, nalbadian - their forearm load timing is more similar to the women, comparatively speaking.