PDA

View Full Version : Signum Poly Pro Plasma (SPPP) - Pro's using this string

bsardana
02-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Wanted to find out if any of the tour pros are using SPPP as part of their setup? The string appears to be very popular but almost all the pros setup use Luxilon as the poly of choice.

Personally, I like SPPP better because of the comfort level.

Thank you.

davidahenry
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I have not heard of any pros using SPPP.

As you stated, most pros use Lux. It is the overwhelming choice of pros - specifically Alu Power. It is my understanding the Lux does not pay any pros to use their string (sure - they give the top pros Lux for free, but they don't provide paid sponsorships). Therefore, IMO, that really says a great deal about the quality and performance of their strings.

I am certainly not a pro, but I understand why they choose Lux. Alu Power Rough is in all my sticks, and I absolutely love it.

Take care.

DH

TennezSport
02-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Alu Power Rough is in all my sticks, and I absolutely love it. DH

David,

We have a few customers that use Lux Alu Rough in thier racquets, and a number of them complain that the string goes dead rather quickly (approx 6-8hrs play). Do you find the same issue with your racquets???

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

NickC
02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
David,

We have a few customers that use Lux Alu Rough in thier racquets, and a number of them complain that the string goes dead rather quickly (approx 6-8hrs play). Do you find the same issue with your racquets???

That's normal for any polyester-based string, Luxilon strings are no different.

davidahenry
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
David,

Unfortunately, yes. I get about 5 (maybe 6) hours of singles out of a set before the playability starts to change/get worse. It just seems to lose its crispness, some spin, and some control. This gets to be expensive, but I just am so addicted to Alu and can't seem to move away from it.

I do not have any sort of device to measure tension loss, so I don't know how much and how rapidly Alu loses tension, but I can tell a difference in playability. And I'm not sure if playability loss exactly equals tension loss - I'm not sure they are the exact same thing. I do know that Alu, IMO, loses playability fairly quickly.

I recently tried Topspin CyberFlash as a low cost alternative to Alu. (CF if bought in a reel is under $4 per set - Alu is over $15 per set.) I liked it - it is a very good poly, but it is not Alu. IMO, there is nothing quite like freshly strung Alu - it just has this almost magical crispness and bite.

Is Alu that much better than CF to justify the large price difference? I'm not sure. For me, right now, I'd say yes.

Take care.

DH

coloskier
02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
David,

I can confirm this. You don't lose tension, but it turns into a ping pong paddle after about 4-6 sets. Plus, if you have any arm trouble at all, you'll be doing a lot of chemical stretching (ADVIL) with Lux.