PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Flash snapped during stringing..........

roc17355
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
So I was stringing up my KBT last night with CF in the mains at 55 and i had two sets snap on me, on like my 5th main. I have read where others have had this problem and I was wondering is it because I am using an X-2, not sure if it is because of the string gripper or what. Any thoughts?

scotus
02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Have you check the grommet for a broken or sharp edge?

What gauge string? What machine?

Dan007
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
cyberflash has a problem of snapping during stringing. This is a common problem that has been talked a lot of times on the forum.

roc17355
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Have you check the grommet for a broken or sharp edge?

What gauge string? What machine?

1.25 and on an X-2 grommets are ok. Strung the racquet before with other strings including softer multi's and never had a problem. Plus it snapped and different sides at different grommets.

vndesu
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
yeah ive had this problem too.
after awhile i just gave up on tp cyberflash
for the same 8 bucks i can get a set or pro supex big aces.

scotus
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
1.25 and on an X-2 grommets are ok. Strung the racquet before with other strings including softer multi's and never had a problem. Plus it snapped and different sides at different grommets.

I use thin polys (17 to 18L), and I found that some of them are very prone to snapping, especially on my drop-weight machine.

The ones I have snapped include Weiss Cannon Silverstring, Kirschbaum Pro Line II, and MSV Hex.

The one that I use right now (Pro Supex Big Ace Micro) does a lot better on my machine than the others mentioned above.

Having said this, I take care to let the tensioning arm drop very slowly (slower than gravity would have it) in order to avoid this sort of problems.

TennezSport
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I am not saying that this is the issue here, but when stringing poly based strings on a DW machine it's important not to drop the weight too fast, which can overshoot the tension significantly. Try slowing down and make sure your clamps are not too tight.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

roc17355
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for there insight. I try and lower the arm slowly as to not cause a rapid tensioning of the string, maybe i will loosen the clamps a bit and see if that helps. I'm going to try and string up some Silver String tonight and hopefully will not have the same problem. Don't want to have to limit my options of polys because I can't string them without breaking.

SFrazeur
02-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I am not saying that this is the issue here, but when stringing poly based strings on a DW machine it's important not to drop the weight too fast, which can overshoot the tension significantly. Try slowing down and make sure your clamps are not too tight.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

This is what I found when stringing Cyber Flash and Signum Pro Polys on my old drop weight.

-SF

Kevo
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Try slowing down and make sure your clamps are not too tight.

Spot on. It's very easy to get the clamps too tight. If you crush or kink a poly it will weaken the string at that point. If that spot then ends up at a grommet later, it's prone to break.

The clamps should only be tight enough to hold the string, and if you are not adjusting the clamps at least for every different gauge if not every string, then they are probably not set correctly.

I've never snapped CyberFlash, but I have also heard others complain of this.

WildVolley
02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I've snapped Cyberflash on my dropweight SP Swing, but I've never had any trouble on a True Tension crank. It is a slightly brittle string, but with a little caution you should be able to string it without breaking it. Since the time I broke it, I've probably done 15 CF string jobs without any trouble.

iTxMe
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
never had a problem on my electronic stringer

kashgotmoney
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
my friend had this problem so i told him to bring his dropweight oever my house and we will do it together so he learns.

few things to do
1. slowly let the drop weight drop.
2. if it is a rotational gripper, make sure it doesnt have sharp edges
3. dont let it kink while you take it out of package
4. dont damage it with an awl

bad_call
02-19-2009, 07:28 AM
had SPPP snap AFTER completely strung...one of the mains. :(