PDA

View Full Version : Stringing a new racquet?

game set match 46 TIMES!!
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Well i am gonna string a new racquet soon and my stringing coach said that if the gromments arent broken in you can break the frame. Is this true? Also do i just put my finger when im pulling tenison?

zidane339
02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Not sure what you mean by "put your finger" and I have never heard of racquet breaking due to new grommets. How exactly are you suppose to "break in " a racquet without stringing it?

jim e
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
If it is a new racquet, being never strung before, the standard is to up the tension 2 lbs. to compensate for the new grommets to settle in.Most stringers do this to compensate for the new grommets/new racquet.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
02-18-2009, 05:52 PM
If it is a new racquet, being never strung before, the standard is to up the tension 2 lbs. to compensate for the new grommets to settle in.Most stringers do this to compensate for the new grommets/new racquet.

ok. So i dont gotta do anything for the new racquet besides the tenison?

joke-a-vich
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
ok. So i dont gotta do anything for the new racquet besides the tenison?

yeah, i just strung four brand new yonex frames today and yesterday and no broken frames :). never ever heared of a frame breaking do to the grommets.

oldtimer
02-19-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm wondering if your coach is talking about the possibility of your grommet coming out when you pull the last mains on a new racquet. If you're not careful the string can damage the frame when this happens. Usually you can hold the grommet in with your finger while pulling tension. This problem is much less with future stringing because the grommet becomes set and will stay in place.

todot62
02-19-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm wondering if your coach is talking about the possibility of your grommet coming out when you pull the last mains on a new racquet. If you're not careful the string can damage the frame when this happens. Usually you can hold the grommet in with your finger while pulling tension. This problem is much less with future stringing because the grommet becomes set and will stay in place.

I agree with Oldtimer. I think that's what he's talking about. You also need to be careful on the first main outside the yoke at the throat, because these have a tendency to pull out the first time you string. Really, it's a good idea to pay a bit of attention to all of them the first time.

McLovin
02-19-2009, 04:58 AM
I have a reel of cheap synthetic I got free years ago. Whenever I string a racket for the very first time, I use that cheap synthetic, hit a few shots w/ it, then cut it out & put the good stuff in.

I'll also do this if I've replaced the grommets.

raygo
02-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Do yourself a favor and enlarge the grommets for the last cross and for the tie-offs. You could spend an hour just trying to feed strings through blocked or uncooperative holes.

Irvin
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree with Oldtimer. I think that's what he's talking about. You also need to be careful on the first main outside the yoke at the throat, because these have a tendency to pull out the first time you string. Really, it's a good idea to pay a bit of attention to all of them the first time.

Yes it is mainly the grommets at the bottom of the racket that tend to pull out. When I string a racket with new grommets I pull tension from the top on two mains at a time, release tension, and then pull each string separately trying to hold the grommet in place with my fingers so the string does not cut into the frame.

Irvin

ambro
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
If you have the time/resources, I'd suggest doing what McLovin said. I would do that with my own racquets as well. For other customers' new racquets or replaced grommets, I'd go 3 lb. above what they wanted because of the new grommets. I found that 2 lb. really didn't make that big of a difference, but for some reason 3 lb. was much better. However, by far the best solution is stringing it with cheap stuff then with the strings you want. There's no reason a racquet should break because of the grommets.