PDA

View Full Version : Custom paint ruined by stringer clamps?

georgeyew
03-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I am considering painting my racquet. For those of you that have painted your own racquets, did the paint chip or rub off when clamped down to the stringer? Any sugggestions to avoid that?

Jerry Seinfeld
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
That's exactly what happened when I created a custom paint job on a MegaAge stick. I have no suggestions other than to be patient and let the paint and clear coat topping set for several days before stringing. I just couldn't wait!

David Pavlich
03-01-2005, 12:01 PM
The biggest factor is surface prep. First, you'll have to sand the original finish. 200 grit then 400 grit. Then you have to clean it very well with a good tack rag. And when you think it's clean, clean it again. Then you need to prime it. Sand the primer with 400 grit then clean it again. Now shoot it with your base coat then the clear.

I'd also use a urethane-based paint. Something like acrylic lacquer is too brittle for use on a racquet, IMHO. Urethane-based paint is tough and "flexible" and won't spider web.

It should stick.

David

moosryan
03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
as a drum builder ( we work with wood and finishes a lot), i would make sure you use something that's gonna hold up. i might reccomend the minwax spar urethane, i've heard great stuff about it. the key to lacquer is to wait. lacquer takes at least 30 days to cure ( i wait at least 30 days to wax my drums, auto builders wait at least 90). i wouldn't use lacquer because when you go inside and outside to different temperatures it can crack, with it called "checking". with anything you use just be patient. polyurethane cures pretty well, but it can take a while to become fully dry, sometimes up to 10 days, but thats a pretty bad case scenario.

Also, on a final note, make sure you use products you know are compatable. for example, use an enamel based paint, and lacquer over it, you're in deep s****. a good way to do this, is to keep within brands. if you use a rustoleum paint, it would be a good idea to use a rustoleum topcoat. if you go somewhere like a home depot or something, the people at the paint counter should know.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I know a good bit about this stuff.

Morpheus
04-23-2005, 03:25 PM
What color did you go with and did you do anything fancy--two tone, lettering etc?

gregraven
04-23-2005, 04:00 PM
The paint on the "paint job" frames that I've used have always chipped more easily than the decals on the retail frames I've used, FWIW.

georgeyew
04-23-2005, 07:11 PM
I went with "chrome" paint". Although when it dried, it looked more like bright silver. I think that I used the wrong type of paint, it turned out too soft.

GrahamIsSuper
04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I was considering chrome paint, myself. Originally, I was looking for something that'd behave EXACTLY like a mirror (so I could reflect the sun into a big-server's eyes as he/she tossed) but couldn't find any.

Once the notoriously bad paint on my Estusa's is all gone, I'll try something new out. Not pink, though.

janster01
12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
a good quality clear coat will protect your frame pretty good
>>http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp40/janster01/
janslavik@hotmail.com for questions

Tennisguy777
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
a good quality clear coat will protect your frame pretty good
>>http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp40/janster01/
janslavik@hotmail.com for questions

Nice, so how much are you selling it for? Yonex called and they want their warranty back!

janster01
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
see, good thinking ,thats why you get a high quality yonex so you dont have to worry about it . anyway , you are right , the one disadvantage if i can say that , is that you couldnt mostlikely do anything about the warranty. even if i masked of the sticer with a serial number , it still would be tough. but you will have the only paint job of its kind . out of 6 bilion people , you will have your own racquet and none else will have the same . i drop the warranty for that no problem :)

Blade0324
12-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Use an expoxy paint from a hobby store or the like. This is much better and will hold up as long as you take your time. LIke others have said sand very well and then clean 2-3 times and let dry well. Then prime and let sit for several days. Sand primer, clean and let sit a couple days. Then paint 1 coat and sit for a week, sand with very fine grit 800 or so and clean. Let it sit a day or so and then a second coat of paint. Let that sit about a week and then clear coat. Let it sit over a week and then wet sand it. It took me about a month to do it right, the second time I tried it and it was very worth waiting. Came out great and is very durable.

aimr75
12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Use an expoxy paint from a hobby store or the like. This is much better and will hold up as long as you take your time. LIke others have said sand very well and then clean 2-3 times and let dry well. Then prime and let sit for several days. Sand primer, clean and let sit a couple days. Then paint 1 coat and sit for a week, sand with very fine grit 800 or so and clean. Let it sit a day or so and then a second coat of paint. Let that sit about a week and then clear coat. Let it sit over a week and then wet sand it. It took me about a month to do it right, the second time I tried it and it was very worth waiting. Came out great and is very durable.

wouldnt mind seeing the end result.. pics?
________
VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

janster01
12-15-2008, 04:55 AM
http://gs64.photobucket.com/groups/h180/C2GZUH2T4T/