PDA

View Full Version : Playing at Wimbledon

kvilia
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Is it possible to reserve a grass court (let's say for an hour) at the All England Tennis etc. club assuming it's not during actual tournament? I'm going to be there in May and would love to do it if possible.

Thanks,

lemurballs
03-01-2005, 11:18 AM
The courts are not open to the general public. Apart from the Centre and No.1 Courts, the courts are used all year round by the Club members and LTA sponsored players. The grass courts are in play from May to September, except Centre Court and No.1 Court which are used only for The Championships. The courts are occasionally used by a number of clubs and organisations, for the staging of various events and tournaments.

Kaptain Karl
03-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Take me with you!!!!!!!

- KK

kvilia
03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks, lemurballs - I guess no Wimbledon fo me. I'll try the club in Philly instead.

TommyGun
03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
It's been a while since I was over there for "fun", but the park immediately across the street might have some grass courts. Not exactly playing on the grounds, but as close as mere mortals can come.

Brian Purdie
03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
What about those grass practice courts across the street that are used for practice by the pros during the tournament? Can those be used by the public? You say you can reserve those?

AAAA
03-02-2005, 06:57 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/pressreleases/2003/2003_wimbledonpark_28_3_2003.html

The artificial grass courts mentioned are available for public hire and are used by the pros for practice when the weather is bad during wimbledon so I'd imagine they are above average in quality.

K!ck5w3rvE
03-08-2005, 02:29 AM
NO DON"T GIVE UP! Stand outside the club for a while with your gear, waiting for someone to arrive. If you sit down on your 10pack, head in hands, crying, this will definately work. When the next person walks past you crying, I bet they'll ask what's wrong (depending on the volume of the crying....crank it up). Then talk in your American accent, saying that you'd come over there so you could play at Wimbledon, and that now you weren't allowed. Then, maybe they'll take you as a guest, and you'll be able to play. Once your in, ditch her (it will be a 'her', because the men will have walked past you when you were crying), and find someone of your level, then play a few sets. Foolproof. Absolutely ****** foolproof.

Kaptain Karl
03-08-2005, 07:38 AM
K!ck doesn't get out much. Please don't sully the American image with that ploy.

Brits expect the "Ugly American" so stand boldly at the front gate, proclaiming (hopefully with a Chicago accent -- they love the old "Gangster speak") "Hey!! I'll pay any Member 500 dollars, US, who will bring me into dis joint for an hour of hittin'!!"

That'll do it....

- KK

Baseline Basher
03-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Maybe, but the crying is so much funnier. And you'd rather 'sully the American image' (you sound pretty British right there) with bribery rather than pouting?

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2005, 09:35 PM
:: sigh ::

- KK