PDA

View Full Version : The best strings for flat, hard hitters

haramija
02-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi

I am a college player who spends around 2-4 hours per day one the court.
Almost all the shots i take are flat, deep and accurate. Topspin or slice i use occasinaly just to brake the opponents consistancy or when i have to finish the poin off with a winner and i am in the middle of the court. Pretty much all i hit is flat shots. Now, i also tend to break the strings alot... (weird as it seams:razz:)
usually i use wilson NXT which provides an excelent feel and touch while hitting flat but it is kinda expencive and tends to brake alot...

i am buying strings per wheels and i really need some suggestions what to replace the Nxt with. I am looking for something more affordable and possibly durable.

Thank you very much

hellonewbie
02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Kevlar or Kevlar hybrid, Pro Supex Premier Ace/Big Ace, or some other polys, poly hybrids.

Cey
02-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Hi

Almost all the shots i take are flat, deep and accurate. Topspin or slice i use occasinaly just to brake the opponents consistancy or when i have to finish the poin off with a winner and i am in the middle of the court. Pretty much all i hit is flat shots. Now, i also tend to break the strings alot... (weird as it seams:razz:)
usually i use wilson NXT which provides an excelent feel and touch while hitting flat but it is kinda expencive and tends to brake alot...

i am buying strings per wheels and i really need some suggestions what to replace the Nxt with. I am looking for something more affordable and possibly durable.

Thank you very much

If you still want to use a multi pro supex maxim touch is cheap and gets a lot of good reviews on this board.

todot62
02-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi

Thank you very much

If I were stringing your racquet I would move down this progression in order, until you find what you like. You can purchase sets of this entire group on TW for about $30, but I would hold off on the ProBlend and only try that if you absolutely need it, and if you do use it, string it at 45/50. If you do that, then you will only be spending about $20 for the group. Once you get set on what you like, all of these strings can be purchased cheaply by the reel. IMHO, a multi is not really a viable option for your situation for many reasons.

1. Prince TopSpin 15L
2. Toalson Leoina 66
3. TopSpin Cyber Flash 1.30/Gosen OG-Micro 17g
4. Full set of CF
5. ProBlend

There could be a dozen opinions from a dozen people on the advantages/disadvantages of each brand of poly, but I think you will find a good inexpensive solution from this group and you can tweak from there.

Tod

Valjean
02-19-2009, 04:32 AM
....Almost all the shots i take are flat, deep and accurate. Topspin or slice i use occasinaly just to brake the opponents consistancy or when i have to finish the poin off with a winner and i am in the middle of the court. Pretty much all i hit is flat shots. Now, i also tend to break the strings alot... (weird as it seams:razz:)

i am buying strings per wheels and i really need some suggestions what to replace the Nxt with. I am looking for something more affordable and possibly durable.....
NXT Max, the frequent player's version of NXT, has better durability though it just comes in 16 and 15L gauges. You can even add in string savers to bolster your durability. By the way--how often do you actually break your string, and what gauge do you use?

Babolat's tried-and-true Fibertour comes in a 16 gauge for $8.95 a set.

todot62
02-19-2009, 04:46 AM
By the way--how often do you actually break you string, and what gauge do you use?.

Good questions, I meant to ask but got wrapped up in my own reply. :oops:

raygo
02-19-2009, 04:47 AM
I used Pro Blend for a long time, probably too long. It was very very durable, but it definitely wore down my arm over the years. I also hit mostly flat, and I can't stand polyester strings. I think most people use poly to enhance/maximize spin but if you don't play with huge spin it's not really worth it.

Isospeed Professional is a very good and unique string--it's my 'poly.' It has a multi-ribbon construction but doesn't feel like a multi...kind of dead and seems to be lower-powered than other multis (I've been testing out K-gut lately, but find it a bit soft by itself--there's a fine line between 'soft' and 'mushy'). I generally stay away from hybrids, but a mix of K-gut mains and IsoPro crosses felt really good to hit with...very crisp. The added benefit is that they are extremely elastic and are both very good for your arm.

You also might want to try Zyex strings like Ashaway Dynamite and Klippermate's strings. I try out different strings from time to time, but I keep a handy supply of Dynamite (and now a reel of Klippermate Zyex--yay birthday) on hand at all times. There's not a whole lot of talk about these strings on the board, but there's a handful of us who swear by Zyex.

T1000
02-19-2009, 05:32 AM
pro supex big ace or prince lightning XX

haramija
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Good questions, I meant to ask but got wrapped up in my own reply. :oops:

How often do i brake them? Hmm.. it dependes... The racquet i use for practice i break strings every second week maaaaybe third... but i have to so its kinda bareable and the third one i use for tournaments basically i have to restring it after 2-3 tournaments. Depens how far i get in the tournament. I hope that answers ur question:)

Keifers
02-19-2009, 11:58 AM
If you still want to use a multi pro supex maxim touch is cheap and gets a lot of good reviews on this board.
I agree... Maxim Touch is a very nice string, my go-to string for flat, hard hitting. It absorbs incoming pace nicely and sends the ball back with pace and excellent control and feel. It's a relatively low-powered string, so no danger of spraying the ball if you've got the tension right for your game.

I use the 17/1.25 in an AG100 @ 55 lbs (which I consider the middle of the 100's true tension range).

tspinJ
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
If I were stringing your racquet I would move down this progression in order, until you find what you like. You can purchase sets of this entire group on TW for about $30, but I would hold off on the ProBlend and only try that if you absolutely need it, and if you do use it, string it at 45/50. If you do that, then you will only be spending about $20 for the group. Once you get set on what you like, all of these strings can be purchased cheaply by the reel. IMHO, a multi is not really a viable option for your situation for many reasons.

1. Prince TopSpin 15L
2. Toalson Leoina 66
3. TopSpin Cyber Flash 1.30/Gosen OG-Micro 17g
4. Full set of CF
5. ProBlend

There could be a dozen opinions from a dozen people on the advantages/disadvantages of each brand of poly, but I think you will find a good inexpensive solution from this group and you can tweak from there.

Tod

todot62 or others,

Would you recommend this same progression or something different to a frequent string breaker that hits with topspin strokes?

BACKGROUND:
I have been using Prince Topspin 15L for a couple of years now and always liked the way that it played and the durability compared to other strings that I had used prior to that.

However, my racquets are several years old and I am in the process of trying to switch frames. I demoed several racquets and ended up with settling with the Head LiquidMetal 4. With this frame I have been breaking the Topspin 15L within three times of playing rather than the three weeks (playing 3-5 times per week) that I was getting with my old frame.

todot62
02-27-2009, 02:29 PM
todot62 or others,

Would you recommend this same progression or something different to a frequent string breaker that hits with topspin strokes?

BACKGROUND:
I have been using Prince Topspin 15L for a couple of years now and always liked the way that it played and the durability compared to other strings that I had used prior to that.

However, my racquets are several years old and I am in the process of trying to switch frames. I demoed several racquets and ended up with settling with the Head LiquidMetal 4. With this frame I have been breaking the Topspin 15L within three times of playing rather than the three weeks (playing 3-5 times per week) that I was getting with my old frame.

First I would be curious what your old racquet was because I would not be surprised if: a) it was an 18x20, and/or b) it had a smaller head. Both or either of these scenarios would lead to your current problem.

I came up with the progression in order to answer a specific question: inexpensive, durable strings for a flat hitter that is readily available on reels. I think the same would apply to your situation, you might just have to move more quickly to the more durable strings. Just know that the further down you go, the further away you move from the "feel" of your current setup. If you add in hybrids, there are many combinations that one can use to get the feel/durability that one is looking for just from this list of strings. If you take out the requirement that the strings "be available affordably on reels", that opens up the door for many other strings like Rip Control and many others. With all this said, however, this is not a bad place to start. Also remember that kevlar is an option, you just have to be a fan, and let me say, I am a big fan of kevlar strung at the right tension! :)

Tod

pow
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I like full poly, soft but not too soft poly, I prefer Pro Line II and other Kirschbaum variations, I am currently using Lux M2 and it works great for my purposes.
I've tried softer strings but it's too easy to spray.

tspinJ
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Tod. I haven't experimented with different strings in a while, so this will give me a good place to start.

My old racquet was the Wilson H Tour Midplus (105).

t0nym4c
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Try Maxim Touch 17g with Gosen Og Sheep crosses. This hybrid will allow you to send the ball flying from anywhere on the court (If you hit flat this is not a great combo for topspin). I find that this hybrid also give a good bit of feel and it is much more affordable than Wilson Nxt. If you purchase reels of both strings the cost of strings should average under 4 dollars per racket.
I hope this helps.

kashgotmoney
02-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Luxilon Big Banger XP 15L 6.99$ on sale

The_Question
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't know why, but I recommend Prince Lightning 17...

obnoxious2
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Doesn't your college pay for your strings? I would think a player playing varsity tennis, the college would provide the cost of strings.

t0nym4c
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Doesn't your college pay for your strings? I would think a player playing varsity tennis, the college would provide the cost of strings.

Dude if they do go natural gut all the way!