PDA

View Full Version : IRON strings

slicefox
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
What if there was an iron or titanium wire coated with some sort of rubber/plastic or some synthetic epoxy coating, and then used as string?

Wouldn't that make for a super durable and powerful combo? The metal doesn't have to be super thick, just the core. And it could be made so that it's more elastic (cooling the iron slowly after it is cast and pulled through a die).

Think about it, iron and other metals are more efficient in elasticity, it means that when you stretch them they come back with the same force. Other plastics aren't as good. A steel ball bounces to 98% of its height dropped, while a plastic polyester ball would do, maybe 60% maximum.

Is there anything like this?

vndesu
02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
What if there was an iron or titanium wire coated with some sort of rubber/plastic or some synthetic epoxy coating, and then used as string?

Wouldn't that make for a super durable and powerful combo? The metal doesn't have to be super thick, just the core. And it could be made so that it's more elastic (cooling the iron slowly after it is cast and pulled through a die).

Think about it, iron and other metals are more efficient in elasticity, it means that when you stretch them they come back with the same force. Other plastics aren't as good. A steel ball bounces to 98% of its height dropped, while a plastic polyester ball would do, maybe 60% maximum.

Is there anything like this?

kevlar strings will be the closest thing you can get...

scotus
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Guitar strings still break.

ChuDat
02-19-2009, 12:02 AM
you can try fishing wire

Nuke
02-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Back in the late 70's, I used to use a string that had a couple of strands of stainless steel in the mix. I don't remember the name, and I can't really say that it performed much better than the other synthetic guts of the time.

raygo
02-19-2009, 05:49 AM
How much aluminum is in Alu Power?

Bash and Crash
02-19-2009, 07:21 AM
my elbow and shoulder are screaming oouuuccchhhhh already.

slicefox
02-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Wuss.

By the way, I mentioned this because the strings I have now look like they have a thin metal wire in the core. The rest is coated with nylon, and it's a square shape string, supposed to give good spin.

gastro54
02-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Metals are only more "efficient" in elasticity over a very small range of deformation. Once you get past the elastic deformation, you'll induce plastic deformation in the metal and it wont return to its original length. This would be a major problem for tennis strings.

Polymers can be produced to have a much greater range of elasticity (can experience greater strain) than metals which is why they're used in strings.

Steve Huff
02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Nuke is correct. In the 70's there were a couple. One was called Steelon. It had a steel wrap (not a core). It looked similar to the blue Prince Lightning. It helped durability some. Also, many of the school gym classes had metal frames with wire strings. They were meant to last forever. I wouldn't play with them, but there were rackets that came with them in them. I don't know where the school system got them, but most tennis players thought they were a joke.

william7gr
02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
even if it didn't work good it would still look really cool :D

meowmix
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I wonder how quickly those would kill the grommets...

Irvin
02-20-2009, 04:15 AM

Wouldn't that make for a super durable and powerful combo?

Sounds good but it will not work. Metal stretches to a point then it either breaks or it does not. If it does not it will be longer. It does not rebound. I used to stretch wire when it was too short. I never seen it shrink. Try it yourself pull tension on a short piece of wire and watch what happens.

Irvin

Bud
02-20-2009, 04:50 AM

Lol! I hear ya.

I believe until fairly recently (last 10 years)... Prince had a string with a metal wire core.

crocon
02-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Guy i hit with says he used piano wire back in the day.

Bud
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Guy i hit with says he used piano wire back in the day.

Did he also hike to school in the ice and snow, uphill both ways, barefoot? :roll:

Nuke
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Old time racquet strung with steel strings:

http://www.photostringer.com/images/Wright_Ditson-011a.jpg

Bud
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Old time racquet strung with steel strings:

http://www.photostringer.com/images/Wright_Ditson-011a.jpg

Tennis Elbows worst nightmare! :evil:

Nuke
02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Tennis Elbows worst nightmare! :evil:

To say nothing of the blisters and the splinters from that handle.

Bud
02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
To say nothing of the blisters and the splinters from that handle.

Lol! Am I incorrect in assuming they wrapped it with something... like a leather grip?

PBODY99
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Lol! Am I incorrect in assuming they wrapped it with something... like a leather grip?
They were not always wrapped. Much like a baseball bat , just smooth wood.