PDA

View Full Version : * Dubai - Suspicious? Or Truly Injured? *

TheOneAndOnly
02-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Peer Affair: The more and more I think about it, it seems like it's either coincidence that Nadal and Federer are pulling out of Dubai due to injury, or it's a political statement in the guise of any injury?

What do you think?

Granted, in no way do we doubt their injury, especially Nadal.

But your take?

gj011
02-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Federer should move out of Dubai if he wants to make political statement.

Nuke
02-19-2009, 06:42 AM
I always doubt injury claims unless I see that a player is having surgery. Too often, it's just a way for a player to get out of a tournament they've committed to. Very suspicious that both fed and Rafa pulled out of Dubai, where the main attraction has always been money. Dubai is having economic problems of late, so maybe there's not so much appearance money under the table now.

Gorecki
02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
nope... those two are two much of a couple of wussies to make political statements and to avoid money... it's definitely strategy! at this point it's worthless to go on tour... they are just getting ready for the clay season! period! imho

TheOneAndOnly
02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
I don't think it's about cash.

There may be other reasons.

SoCal10s
02-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I always doubt injury claims unless I see that a player is having surgery. Too often, it's just a way for a player to get out of a tournament they've committed to. Very suspicious that both fed and Rafa pulled out of Dubai, where the main attraction has always been money. Dubai is having economic problems of late, so maybe there's not so much appearance money under the table now.
yes I hear that foreign investors have been leaving Dubai and leaving their high end cars sitting at the airport parking lots and not coming back to claim them... the $$$ is definitely gone from that region..

danb
02-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Federer should move out of Dubai if he wants to make political statement.

That is correct. Rafa on the other hand may (might) make a statement. OR he is just injured. Who knows?

veroniquem
02-19-2009, 07:33 AM
nope... those two are two much of a couple of wussies to make political statements and to avoid money... it's definitely strategy! at this point it's worthless to go on tour... they are just getting ready for the clay season! period! imho
These "getting ready for clay season" claims are absurd. They have 2 masters on hard to prepare. Clay is still a long time away.

veroniquem
02-19-2009, 07:36 AM
That is correct. Rafa on the other hand may (might) make a statement. OR he is just injured. Who knows?
We know he's injured, we've seen it happen. Nadal has clearly stated before that he intended to stay out of politics and has made no statement, no hint even about the Peer controversy.

saram
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't think Roger would be pulling out of Davis Cup for political reasons...so I think the injury and required rest for his back is a legit thing in his case.

Also, Rafa never quits unless there is a good reason. He does not seem like the kind of guy to get into the mix of politics.

danb
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
We know he's injured, we've seen it happen. Nadal has clearly stated before that he intended to stay out of politics and has made no statement, no hint even about the Peer controversy.

I didn't know that. I guess ATP as an organization should take care of nixing Dubai then.

pepe01
02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Agree with you, may be complot

mzzmuaa
02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25079802-3162,00.html
He's spamming Cahill.

rubberduckies
02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Fed is boycotting Davis Cup to denounce Swiss neutrality in the War on AIDS.

J-man
02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't think it's a political statement. It's either money or they both are injuried.

Commando Tennis Shorts
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
It's not a political statement. A political statement by definition is public, and would serve no purpose if they kept it secret

TheOneAndOnly
02-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Not that's it IS a political statement, but that it is mixed into the bag of saying the withdrawal is due to injury.

It's subtle.

At least this is a possibility.

tahiti
02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
I think Fed needs to regroup.
I think Rafa after Oz and final R'dam knows that he took on too much last year so he's got to slow down. Missing Dubai also means cutting back on travel and time zones. Also tiring.

But that they're both out yup indeed, interesting.