PDA

View Full Version : THE 'REAL' REASON WHY Roger Federer WILL NOT PLAY DAVIS CUP

TheOneAndOnly
02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Actually, it's not a matter of the real reason, but the reason is just that: He's injured and he must heal.

If one were to look deeper into it, there are possibilities that Federer won't play because of the reason...... THAT HE'S INJURED.

Very simple, eh?

Not really.

When I put everything together, I get a sense that Roger needs and must get another Grand Slam, or it's really going to affect his post-tennis career, at least internally. Kinda like Lendl, who tried and tried and tried EVERYTHING he could to win Wimbledon....... but never did. Sure, Lendl got to the finals.... but that was it.

Same point. Federer is good. Lendl was good. But Lendl, in his prime was no Sampras. Federer in his prime was no Sampras.... and Federer is not in his prime anymore.

Federer almost won Wimbledon in 2008. Federer almost won the Australian this year. But he just didn't cut it...... like Lendl with Wimbledon.

With Davis Cup, Sampras never really seemed to take it seriously. Now that many are comparing Federer with Sampras (a poor comparison in my opinion), I believe, Federer is giving up his goal to play for his country (which he already accomplished anyway in doubles during the Olympics) so that he can play FOR HIMSELF.

Remember Rocky IV? Drago says, "I play for ME!" (With face-sweating, black-mouth-piece wearing ROARRRRRR).

Same thing.

Federer may, just may, be realizing that Tennis is not a team or collective sport. A tennis player is just that---a tennis player, first; not an ambassador to the fans; not a P.R. guy; not a rich person; but just a sheer tennis player.

Look at Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Sampras, Becker, Lendl .... as much as they may have had their sheer of off-court difficulties, whatever they were, they were INTENSE with TENNIS.

This intensity we see in Nadal. In Federer, it's more of Fan-based, "I do this for tennis fans"-sort of aura... in my opinion.

Once Federer gets back on the INTENSITY track like Nadal, then he may be a force again.

Playing Dubai, right after a heavy loss in the Australian, coupled with a previous dethroning if you will of Wimbledon must force a player to get back on track.

And to think about Davis Cup?

C'mon. That's certainly going on a track that lacks INTENSITY. That is, the INDIVIDUALITY of tennis -- because that is what it is.

Davis Cup is important. Important for the individual. Important for the country, especially.

But right after an emotional loss at the Australian Open, how can a player gain that same INTENSITY again?

If Federer was at the top of his game and rankings, then the Davis may be an option.

But right now, Federer, I think, is regrouping, so that he can get another Grand Slam.

In my opinion, money is not the issue.

Popularity is not the issue = he's got that.
Fans is not the issue = he's got that.
Wimbledon is not the issue = he's got that.
Even the French Open is not the issue = he's got that.

Issue is that 1 or 2 more Grand Slams is the issue = and this issue is far more important than any Davis Cup or Dubai or ATP Masters championship.

Everyone (well, at least many do) wants to go into history.

Federer has. But now that he's so close, he wants to shatter the numbers.

Beware however, because Nadal's grip is just tighter than ever.

With regards to the Peer affair? This is just politics, and possibly, just a coincidence after all is said or done, whatever Federer and Nadal's original motives for pulling out may be.

TOAO

TheOneAndOnly
02-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Oopps, I said "French Open ... = he's got that" = no, he hasn't got that yet... but it's not that important in the overall scheme of things... that's what I meant.

JSummers
02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Well, I agree mostly, except I'd say Federer in his prime is no Sampras but Sampras in his prime is no Federer either. They are just different.

hansolo
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Yep, like he said last year I think his main focus is now the Grand Slams.

Although Dubai might be one of his favourite tournaments like Basel he has got to rest more and not risk a potential serious injury by playing too much while not feeling 100%. So I hope this will pay off for him in the long run and very disappointed not to be able to see him play in Dubai.

Okazaki Fragment
02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
The Davis Cup is becoming like the All-Star game. They need to start giving ATP points or Cash for victories.

veroniquem
02-19-2009, 09:36 AM
The best way to prepare for the slams would be to miss tournaments and competitive matches and stay away from the tour for weeks on end? Maybe but I'm not totally convinced. I also think Federer has realized tennis wasn't a team sport from day 1, I don't think he has won his 13 slams "for his fans". He has won them for himself, very clearly.

seffina
02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
The Davis Cup is becoming like the All-Star game. They need to start giving ATP points or Cash for victories.

They have started the points thing this year, let's see how that works out.

TheOneAndOnly
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe not. Fed's rest may not help him.

I don't see how missing tournaments or playing tournaments can make or break his pursuit towards another GS.

If anything, I think playing more tournaments CAN ACTUALLY HELP FED.

No?

*breaksracquet
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah Fed, I wouldn't want to play in Alabama either... HA:twisted:

Editor's note: I have nothing against Alabama, but c'mon.... Alabama? Really? Also, no one want's explosive Diarrhea before the FO.This is in reference to southern cookin; however much delicious it is, may cause this. Known from personal experience.

batz
02-19-2009, 12:03 PM
They have started the points thing this year, let's see how that works out.

They have? How will it work?

Thanks.

TheOneAndOnly
02-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't know.

tahiti
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with all except also that Fed isn't Sampras. I stopped watching tennis with Sampras, just too much serve, no match.
Him and Ivanicivic, too boring. Stars sure but not my cup of tea. Fed is more of a versatile player. Yet not as versatile as Rafa who has proven he has the goods in house. Fed is just not used to having his great winning shots come back and he is probably seriously confused about how he is gonna get this last slam. But get it, I'm certain of it.

icedevil0289
02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with all except also that Fed isn't Sampras. I stopped watching tennis with Sampras, just too much serve, no match.
Him and Ivanicivic, too boring. Stars sure but not my cup of tea. Fed is more of a versatile player. Yet not as versatile as Rafa who has proven he has the goods in house. Fed is just not used to having his great winning shots come back and he is probably seriously confused about how he is gonna get this last slam. But get it, I'm certain of it.

um okay, if you say so.

Lefty5
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
he still doesn't have a hot girlfriend. (...wait...not even a semi-attractive one in the right lighting). For a guy who should have it all, he's seriously lacking in that department. He needs to change chicks before he'll win more slams.

tahiti
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Mirka was ok when she was playing tennis. I'm surprised she herself gotten overweight, she quite pretty otherwise.

But he needs Mirka to win slams... she was his good luck charm :)

MariaS
02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I think Fed and Mirka make a lovely couple. What's wrong with how she looks. She's a tall gal, she can handle a few extra pounds.http://photos1.blogger.com/img/34/955/1024/Mirka102.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/img/34/955/1024/Mirka%20Coat.jpg http://photos1.blogger.com/img/34/955/640/vavrine4.jpg http://photos1.blogger.com/img/34/955/640/Mirka28.jpg

Tennis_Monk
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
While Federer's comparison with Sampras is inevitable, They are different.

My personal opinion, Federer is simply a better player than Sampras.

The reason why he is not playing Davis cup is (apart from injury) it is really not too high in his priority list.

saram
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Editor's note: I have nothing against Alabama, but c'mon.... Alabama? Really? Also, no one want's explosive Diarrhea before the FO.This is in reference to southern cookin; however much delicious it is, may cause this. Known from personal experience.

Don't worry--none of us in the south want to kick your ***** :twisted::)

iriraz
02-20-2009, 09:50 PM
The thing with Davis Cup is i doubt Federer would play a whole Davis Cup season even if he would play in first round.I don`t think Federer would go from a fast surface to suddenly clay in Argentina if he needed to.Pretty much every year he plays in the playoff to keep Switzerland up there but not more then that.It`s been like 4-5 years since he last played in a first round tie

tahiti
02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe Fed just realises he's got his work cut out for him and he can't muster the energy. He's never really been into the Davis cup, he's more of a one man show.

Respect to Mirka of course. Maybe when Fed retires, he'll pick up pounds too. Though Borg hasn't.

allcourter2008
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Same point. Federer is good. Lendl was good. But Lendl, in his prime was no Sampras. Federer in his prime was no Sampras.... and Federer is not in his prime anymore.

Lendl is probably the most underrated player in history.

He reached 19 slam finals for a reason. He lost a lot of those (11), but he faced clearly better opponents in those finals than Sampras did in his 18 finals. The average quality of his slam final opponents is probably unmatched.
Mentally he was no Sampras, if he were, he'd be GOAT with 15+ slams.

There's a reason why even a 33year old, physically struggling Lendl was able to beat a 22yr old Sampras. Lendl also owend Agassi, peak-Courier, Chang, Ivanisevic, Stich, Wilander and won many of those matches when he was well in his 30s and struggling with injuries. He also lead Connors and McEnroe very comfortably in the h2h.

Cyan
02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Actually, it's not a matter of the real reason, but the reason is just that: He's injured and he must heal.

If one were to look deeper into it, there are possibilities that Federer won't play because of the reason...... THAT HE'S INJURED.

Very simple, eh?

Not really.

When I put everything together, I get a sense that Roger needs and must get another Grand Slam, or it's really going to affect his post-tennis career, at least internally. Kinda like Lendl, who tried and tried and tried EVERYTHING he could to win Wimbledon....... but never did. Sure, Lendl got to the finals.... but that was it.

Federer almost won Wimbledon in 2008. Federer almost won the Australian this year. But he just didn't cut it...... like Lendl with Wimbledon.

With Davis Cup, Sampras never really seemed to take it seriously. Now that many are comparing Federer with Sampras (a poor comparison in my opinion), I believe, Federer is giving up his goal to play for his country (which he already accomplished anyway in doubles during the Olympics) so that he can play FOR HIMSELF.

Remember Rocky IV? Drago says, "I play for ME!" (With face-sweating, black-mouth-piece wearing ROARRRRRR).

Same thing.

Federer may, just may, be realizing that Tennis is not a team or collective sport. A tennis player is just that---a tennis player, first; not an ambassador to the fans; not a P.R. guy; not a rich person; but just a sheer tennis player.

Look at Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Sampras, Becker, Lendl .... as much as they may have had their sheer of off-court difficulties, whatever they were, they were INTENSE with TENNIS.

This intensity we see in Nadal. In Federer, it's more of Fan-based, "I do this for tennis fans"-sort of aura... in my opinion.

Once Federer gets back on the INTENSITY track like Nadal, then he may be a force again.

Playing Dubai, right after a heavy loss in the Australian, coupled with a previous dethroning if you will of Wimbledon must force a player to get back on track.

C'mon. That's certainly going on a track that lacks INTENSITY. That is, the INDIVIDUALITY of tennis -- because that is what it is.

Davis Cup is important. Important for the individual. Important for the country, especially.

But right after an emotional loss at the Australian Open, how can a player gain that same INTENSITY again?

If Federer was at the top of his game and rankings, then the Davis may be an option.

But right now, Federer, I think, is regrouping, so that he can get another Grand Slam.

Issue is that 1 or 2 more Grand Slams is the issue = and this issue is far more important than any Davis Cup or Dubai or ATP Masters championship.

With regards to the Peer affair? This is just politics, and possibly, just a coincidence after all is said or done, whatever Federer and Nadal's original motives for pulling out may be.

TOAO

Fed only is winning the USO this year.

TheOneAndOnly
02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Fed only is winning the USO this year.

Don't be kidding yourself.

It'll be Nadal. If not, then Querrey or Nishikori or Gulbis.... or some other up and comer who can play on those sticky hard courts.

Or it's Nadal.

Federer is going to be swept aside like dust.

JeMar
02-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Very simple, eh?

Not really.

Same thing.

TOAO

Sampras took it very seriously until he basically single-handedly won it and saw his accomplishment be largely ignored his own country. Federer hasn't had that experience yet. Your argument falls apart here.

TheOneAndOnly
02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
my point is that the davis cup is so insignificant to any other GS.

It's about the GS, dude!

Otherwise, Federer would be chasing Masters titles, not GS's.

Noone chases Masters titles when comparing it to chasing Grand Slams.

It's about the Grand Slams, no?

Nanshiki
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Southern food is the best of all indigenous American cuisine. You're think of Tex-Mex.

Also, the tickets sold out in like 45 minutes. So much for your "why Alabama" question.

JeMar
02-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm 100% sure tickets would've sold out in 45 minutes or less no matter where in the U.S. they played the tie, with the exception of maybe Alaska.

TennisViewer
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
^^^

lol!

Tennis Viewer (http://www.**********.net)