PDA

View Full Version : SPPP vs MSV Focus Hex

GPB
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Howdy folks,

I'm gradually expanding my circle of friends that I string for, and a couple want to try a poly hybrid. I've never been too interested in poly's before, since they don't fit my game. I'm playing with my free sample of M2 now, and it's "just ok."

This website and stringforum.net (http://www.stringforum.net/string2008.php) are the only places I get feedback from.

That said, I'm trying to decide between getting SPPP and MSV Focus Hex. TW sells both strings, and both seem to be highly thought of. Between the two, which is your favorite?

Thanks for chiming in!

Edit: Dangit, I disabled smilies in my poll! Ugh! Should be 1.18!

NickC
02-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I liked Focus Hex 1.18 better. Felt a bit nicer, and it held tension for quite a while. Only hit with SPPP once though so I can't give you a huge comparison between the two.

rxblitzrx
02-19-2009, 08:25 AM
what's SPPPPPPPPP

GPB
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma. Sorry, I tend to think in acronyms...

hoodjem
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I've tried SPPP 1.18 and MSV Hex 1.10 (not 1.18 ).

IMO there is little comparison. The SPPP was muted, dull, dead, and soft in a bad way--without much feel.

The MSV Hex is soft in a good way--with a lot of feel and elasticity, surprisingly lively and even a little crisp. (I am still pondering how a string can be soft and crisp, but so be it.)

To put it bluntly, the SPPP is a poly I warn people against, and the MSV Hex is one of my very favorite polys that I have ever tried.

And the spin from Hex is so much fun.

GPB
02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Interesting results, so far, with the msv leading 6-0. I thought that people loved SPPP around here? By the replies so far, I won't even give SPPP another look! Is there anybody in the house who really likes SPPP?

Storm_Kyori
02-19-2009, 11:01 AM
As you can see in my sig I use this string in a hybrid and I really like it, but I just strung my 3rd frame with Big Ace 1.25 with Xcel Power at exact same tension as my sig and I have to say BA is feeling really good. I haven't tried SPPP I was told by a TW salesperson to try it, but when I placed the order I decided to buy Focus Hex since it was a few bucks cheaper. I still have CF and PPFO to try next. I'm doing the same with all strings same crosses and tension as I have already used to give me a really good comparison.

GPB
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
As you can see in my sig I use this string in a hybrid and I really like it, but I just strung my 3rd frame with Big Ace 1.25 with Xcel Power at exact same tension as my sig and I have to say BA is feeling really good. I haven't tried SPPP I was told by a TW salesperson to try it, but when I placed the order I decided to buy Focus Hex since it was a few bucks cheaper. I still have CF and PPFO to try next. I'm doing the same with all strings same crosses and tension as I have already used to give me a really good comparison.

Very good way to test the strings to see which you like the best - keeping the other variables constant.

l_gonzalez
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
MSV is simply AWESOME! SPPP plays ok but is extremely brittle and has snapped while stringing and has also snapped many times on mis-hits... In fact, i had a reel of the stuff and i don't think i ever broke a set through wear and tear, it was a always breaking on mis-hits.

MSV is much better. It is the best poly I have ever used and one of the few polys that you can use a full set of and not get arm problems. It has great spin, good feel and shock absorption, good control and just the right amount of power. the tension that you string it at makes a world of difference. If you string it below 55lbs it's absolutely amazing.

I use the 1.10 and it's quite durable too, Average set lasts me 10-12 hours. (I break PSGD 16 in less than 2 hours)

Great feel on volleys, which is almost unheard of for a poly and backhand slices have great feel too.

Very highly recommended.

Go for the black ones, they look awesome!

mark rodgers
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
First of all I do prefer the MSV Hex more than the SPPP. The MSV Hex of course has the Hex profile and I do appreciate its spin potential vs the SPPP. It has a better all around feel IMO. The SPPP does however last longer than the MSV. Though IMO the SPPP does not play very well in a lot of rackets, when you do find one, it's like a match made in heaven. I remember playing with Yonex RDX 500. The SPPP plays great in that racket. In that case, I would definitely opt for the SPPP.

I currently use the MSV Hex in 1.23 mm because I break the 1.18 too quickly. Since you're in the stringing business, push the MSV 1.18 because you will have frequent restringing requests and the cost for string is very attractive when you buy a roll. I love it that it comes in black even though it's more like very dark blue-gray.

Poly_King
02-28-2009, 12:23 AM
I personally string upwards of 700 frames a year and can tell you SPPP 1.23mm from my experience is the best all-round "value/perfomance" poly hands down. Currently stock over 15 different poly brands.

Care is required when stringing though, no kinks, clean tension gripper and slow to mid pull speed & manually tie/tension knots. Make sure you drop 8-10% on tension though as this is key to ensure good dwell time on ball contact.

I find the original orange better than the pure as it plays a little crisper and seems more stable. On Prince O3, Speedport, EXO3 frames only drop 3-5% as they have greater string movement also drop crosses at least 1lb less on 2 piece jobs. MSV Hex is not far off but as far as repeat business goes SPPP dominates.

Equivalent string to MSV Hex in Signum is Signum Pro Poly HEXtreme which is good but for all textured strings I recommend using these only in the mains as they can be extremely harsh.

Hex strings fell harder on ball contact and are less durable than non textured due to the abrasive nature. Orange colour has been great for repeat business. "I want the orange string".

DennisK
02-28-2009, 03:32 AM
I remember playing with Yonex RDX 500. The SPPP plays great in that racket. In that case, I would definitely opt for the SPPP.

A few days ago, I strung up my RDX500 MP with my first set of SPPP 1.28 so looking forward to hitting with it for the first time today.

Not sure if I strung it too high though at 60lbs. Although the previous string was BBO at 55lbs and it was way too loose for me and before that it was BB Alu at 60lbs which felt great.

I also have a few sets of MSV Hex 1.23 to try out, so will be able to give a good comparison in due course.

DennisK
02-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Well I'm back after playing a set of singles (which I won 6 - 4) and three sets of doubles.

The SPPP does indeed feel soft, but doesn't really offer much in the way of feel. It feels pretty dead.

I got loads of control and pretty good spin, but when it came to stepping up to the ball and going for winners, I found the string lacking enough pop to put the ball away, when compared to the likes of BBO and Alu.

I like the tension maintenance and lack of string movement, but for me, the lack of power and feel is too much. I still have a pack left, so might string it 5lbs lower at 55lbs and see how that goes.

Marcob
02-28-2009, 07:54 AM
SPPP are great string but, in my opinion, they need to be string at a low tension to give their best.
I string SPPP 1,23mm at 18kg (about 40lb) during regular and 20kg (about 44lb) during the indoor season.
In this way they gain power, spin potential and touch and still mantain a lot of control, and, of course, even more confot.

tenis
02-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I had the MSV on mains, but after a few hours of hitting the string become rounded, all the hex disappears at the area where you hit the ball most. Also has more power than SPPP, I preffer SPPP at 53 mains, and multi or gut cross.

Tomek_tennis
02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
For me SPPP was not durable enough. One offcenter shot and the string was done. I strung it 2 times in my racquets and qont do it again.

I didn't play hex, but I am going too...

DennisK
03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
For me SPPP was not durable enough. One offcenter shot and the string was done. I strung it 2 times in my racquets and qont do it again.

MSV is simply AWESOME! SPPP plays ok but is extremely brittle and has snapped while stringing and has also snapped many times on mis-hits... In fact, i had a reel of the stuff and i don't think i ever broke a set through wear and tear, it was a always breaking on mis-hits.

Well, after only 1 set of singles and about 6 sets of doubles my SPPP string job has let go. So that's about 4 hours of total play.

True to form, it was from an off-centre mis-hit, returning a heavily spun 1st serve. It snapped on one of the last mains right where its stressed against the grommet.

Up to that point i was quite enjoying it, as it had softened off a bit and was giving me more power, but the same amounts of spin as when the job was fresh.

I'll string up some 1.23 Hex tomorrow and will do a direct back to back. I should string it at 60lbs for a proper comparison, but might back it off a bit to around 57lbs as its supposed to play much better at lower tensions.

qkreotjd
07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
personally i prefer cyber flash to sppp but to me, hex is just a bit better than cyber flash

qkreotjd
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
personally i prefer cyber flash to sppp but to me, hex is just a bit better than cyber flash

hex does feel stiffer than cyber flash and sppp

in my opinion it's best to stay around 55 or little lower with hex

Dgpsx7
07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I use MSV hex 1.10, its sick.

GPB
07-09-2009, 11:57 AM
How do these two strings compare with respect to eating other strings?

I am going to assume in a hybrid the MSV is worse for the other string, since the SPPP is round and the MSV is textured. But I'm curious -- is there a noticeable difference?

dadozen
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Dang, I was sure I was going to buy a SPPP Pure 1.18mm reel, but now I'm doubtful again, although I still have to find a place that ships the MSV Hex internationally.

Well, I've already placed orders for a Kirsch PLII reel and a BA Micro reel, so I can be cool as well for now. But the new toy bug is really strong:p

hoodjem
07-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I've tried SPPP 1.18 and MSV Hex 1.10 (not 1.18 ).

IMO there is little comparison. The SPPP was muted, dull, dead, and soft in a bad way--without much feel.

The MSV Hex is soft in a good way--with a lot of feel and elasticity, surprisingly lively and even a little crisp. (I am still pondering how a string can be soft and crisp, but so be it.)

To put it bluntly, the SPPP is a poly I warn people against, and the MSV Hex is one of my very favorite polys that I have ever tried.

And the spin from Hex is so much fun.

I now have MSV Hex 1.18 black in one of my racquets. It plays just as good, if a bit stiffer, and with a slightly harsher feel than the 1.10.

I also like it much better than SPPP 1.18.

dadozen
07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I now have MSV Hex 1.18 black in one of my racquets. It plays just as good, if a bit stiffer, and with a slightly harsher feel than the 1.10.

I also like it much better than SPPP 1.18.

hoodjem, which one do you prefer? MSV Focus Hex 1.10 or Big Ace Micro?

MesQueUnClub
07-09-2009, 01:37 PM
A current SPPP 1.18 and MSV focus 1.18 and 1.10 user here. I loved(still do...but a little less) SPPP and used it for 2 years until I found MSV focus hex. I tried the 1.18 first and loved it and later tried 1.10.
The spin that focus hex gives is amazing. I didn't think that the SPPP was as muted as hoodjem mentioned but MSV is much better. The 1.10 feels a bit more softer than the 1.18 and when it's time to change the strings, I'll go with 1.10 MSV on all my racquets.

Quadium
07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
MSC Focus Hex, any time, any racket

kuhdlie
07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I've been playing with the 18 msv hex for about 15hrs now, and it seems like the hex shape is wearing out especially in the middle of the racquet, or maybe it's just an optical illusion. anyone else experience this?