PDA

View Full Version : How would you describe/compare Fischer grip size and shape to others?

monologuist
03-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I've heard they have a unique shape? Can someone describe in relation to Wilson, Yonex, Head, etc.? Also are they true to size or do people go a size down or up with them usually?

Grimjack
03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
The Pro 1 I used briefly a couple years ago was pretty similar in shape to a Wilson, I think. Not noticably oblong like a Head or Volkl. The unique thing about it is that it didn't really have any knobby part on the butt end like every other racquet I've ever seen did. So that if you held it loosely near the frame insert, and slowly slid your hand downward, it'd slide right off the end. Not really sure what the thinking is behind the design, but I simply wrapped a little electrical tape around down there, under the grip, to make it more standard-feeling. Which worked out okay, because I like to lead up the head, and then counter-balance under the grip somehow anyway. This just made additional counter-balancing unnecessary.

hummer23
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
ive found its squarish, like a wilson, and its a bit small, but thats maybe just my frames. i play 4 5-8 ussually, and with my fischer, 5/8, i have to add an overgrip to get that size. overall they are comfortable and sufficiently long.

ollinger
03-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Holding the racquet perpendicular to ground with the butt facing you, the angled aspects of the grip (1:30, 4:30, etc.) are shorter than with many grips, so it is very nearly rectangular rather than octagonal. Not as extremely rectangular overall as Head or Volkl, and fairly satisfactory to a Prince grip fan like myself. They tend to run small, as noted. Works well with 1HBH.
________
The Sanctuary of Truth Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Punisher44
03-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Based on my other racquets, my Pro Impact FT doesn't have much of a flare at the butt end. The bevels seem a bit shorter (smaller) that Prince. The flats are shorter (smaller) than Head. This makes it feel to me more like a rounder shape than other manufacturers.
Overall, I think it feels more like hanging on to a broomhandle. But, it fits my hand.

monologuist
03-02-2005, 08:50 AM
so am I getting a consensus here that one should go up a grip size with a Fischer?

NoBadMojo
03-02-2005, 08:55 AM
i would..the fischer gripsize is def smaller..i find the bevels to be a little more vague than than others as well, and building their grips up would make them even more so

steveq81
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Ollinger hit the nail on the head. The angled bevels are not as wide as most brands, so while it may measure the same size it definitely fits your hand differently and I thought it tended to feel smaller -- part of that may also be due to the much smaller butt cap.

Joey
03-02-2005, 10:54 AM
There doesn't seem to be any difference in my 4 1/2 LM Prestige Mid and 4 1/2 Pro Extreme FT apart from a rounder shape on the Fischer.

Rabbit
03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Ollinger's right. It's an odd grip shape and not one I could get used to.

monologuist
03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
nobadmojo...thanks for the review on the Babolat Aeropro Drive + and Fischer Pro Tour FT...I totaly agree with everything you said about the Babolat...I think if you saw the review I posted of the Aeropro Control +, there were many similar assessments echoed.

Your comments on the new Fischer Pro Tour FT piqued my interest in particular though...I just received specs on that frame, and it looks to fit almost exactly my ideal specs :

Head Size: 98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm.
Length: 27.4 inches / 70 cm
Strung Weight: 12.1oz / 343g
Balance: 9pts Head Light
Swingweight: 321
Stiffness: 65
Beam Width: 21 mm Straight Beam
String Pattern:16 Mains / 20 Crosses/Mains
String Tension: 50-70 pounds

I have yet to try a fischer racquet, but from the sound of it, the rather squarish grip would actually be to my liking, given that I like Wilson and Prince grips the most (I find the Wilson to be most comfortable for my 1hh backhand)

Couple of questions :
1. The specs compared to the Pro Tour Extreme FT yield a slightly bigger headsize, slightly thicker beam, and slightly stiffer. I've heard that the Extreme is a pretty demanding frame (rather small sweetspot and low-powered), more so than the Pro #1, and have avoided it thinking that it might not be forgiving enough for me at this point. Can you compare the Pro Tour FT to the Extreme a little more, and comment on the suitability/demandingness of the Pro Tour FT for a player with my profile (in case it's not showing in my signature : Aggressive 4.0 with semi-western forehand/1 hh backhand, that relies on big serving, and heavy baseline groundstrokes, but moving to a more all-court style)?
2. I am interested in some more comments/comparisons on power level of the Pro Tour FT both on groundstrokes and first serves. Some racquets I've heard you discuss and that I have experience with for a reference point are : Wilson Surge, Volkl Tour 9 V-Engine, Pro Kennex Ki 5, Prince Diablo MP, and the Yonex RDX-500 MP ;-)
3. I've heard the Fischer line described as having a "unique" feel, due partially to the inclusion of fiberglass in their composition. I grew up playing the Prince graphite/fiberglass Graptech DB 90 ,and some of their CTS frames (Graduate I beleive), and enjoy the Volkl offerings with fiberglass. Does the Pro Tour FT have a similar feel to either those old Princes or any of the current Volkl line?
4. Perhaps one of the weak links in my game right now is hitting a heavy enough second serve. I can get some decent jump on my second serve, but I've been using "mid-weight" racquets of late, and find that I can't get them as deep and heavy as I'd like so that they are an actual threat (I've found it much easier with heavier racquets of course). Same can be said of slices; very spinny, but not deep and heavy enough. Can you comment on these aspects with the Pro Tour FT?

TW will supposedly have this racquet in stock some time next week, but that usually means more like some time in the next 3 weeks....

Thanks in advance.

NoBadMojo
03-02-2005, 04:18 PM
mono i just grabbed a Fischer frame and it doesnt feel squarish to me..it feels very smallish and you notice the absense of a protruding butt (just like i like my babes) :) i like that, and for me, it is easy to go way down on the grip if you want a bit extra reach and wish to snap off a running forehand or something, but others like there being a build up of the butt.
as for the new Fischer vs the Extreme, it is a bit more playable, but i certanly wouldnt call it an easy frame to play or flush hit. it's more demanding than the Pro1 sweetspotsizewise, but you get a better result on mishits..it's a little less demanding than the Extreme, but still requires very good timing and ball striking abilities..example...if you dont flush hit a return of serve, you will most likely hit a weak or short ball that can be easily exploited by a good player..on the clay, this was a little too much bat for my game because of all the squirrely bounces you get on the dirt..i was just giving up too many weak or short balls when you got a ball to hit that wasnt exactly where you expected it. on the harcourts i think i could use this frame well. fischer feel is unique and special and pretty darn hard to explain..it's just a soft comfortable hit and controlled power..like playing with a precision instrument as opposed to something vague...the new Fischer is certainly more demanding than my Gen2's..i take some heat around here for reccommending frames to people based upon rating levels, but this is a 5.0 and up frame IMO.

monologuist
03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
nobadmojo...thanks..that helps a lot...I know it's hard to recommend frames based on player ratings...for instance the Pure Drive and Aeropro Drive are recommended for 4.0-5.0, and surely there are people below 4.0 and above 5.0 using those effectively. I play mostly hard court, but my ball-striking consistency is a hair below what it should be....I'm that guy that can hit a string of difficult winners that make me look like a 5.0 player, then balance that out with a string of 3.0 mishits on returns or just from mental lapses (my teachers and opponents all seem to agree that sustained mental focus is my biggest weakness) My serve usually bails me out as it is probably beyond what most 4.0 'ers are used to facing, but if that goes, and my head's not in the game, I'm usually in for a tough match.

anyway, bottom line is, for now, I have to use something that keeps my serves dominant, and is forgiving enough on groundstrokes that I can keep the ball deep a high percentage of the time....so maybe the Pro Tour FT may be a little too much bat....

but I'm with you that headsize and sweetspot forgiveness can make a big difference on your overall game, and that there may be many out there playing with something needlessly over-demanding for their level. With almost every 100 sq.inch racquet I've tried, I felt very confident about my consistency and winners-mishits ratio, even on a bad day. With 95 sq. inch, I have to be either playing someone that is worse than me or having a really "on" day. With 98, I usually like the way the racquet cuts through the air better than with 100, especially on my 1hh backhand and serves, and I feel like I get noticeably better control, but my consistency is noticeably less than with the 100. I think 98 is actually what feels optimum to me, but it has to be on the "generous" side of 98, which it sounds like the Pro Tour FT is not.

NoBadMojo
03-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Mono i think you have a good grasp of your game, and consistency is most peoples problem so dont feel alone, as is frequently changing gear. you get consistent by thoughtful practice and match play and also by using gear that you trust and that you know exactly how it will perform under each of the many conditions and the variety of shots...it takes a good while to get the most out of your gear, and many people change far too often in an effort to buy a better game....it rarely works that way. peace out. Edo

Flatspin
03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
NBM makes a great point. There seems to be far too many hoping to find an easy way to improve their game ........ and too often it is changing equipment dreaming that it will somehow improve their game. In most cases it just doesn't work. I've been a student of this game for more years than I will reveal and I've discovered years ago .... real game improvement is a result of working on your game ....... not equipment change (IMHO)! It's a point that needs to be made more often!

NoBadMojo
03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
thanks Flatspin....last racquet change prior to the Gen2 took me about 6months before i knew exactly how my gear would perform under every condition and to be able to hit my spots like i could before..a change in frames also often means a change in strings and/or tension, and that is a another thing you have to mess with..also when you get older, changng gear often causes problems because you are using your muscles and tendons differently...my change to the Gen2 wont make me a better player..at least not for a few months if at all..that's why pros rarely change (other than maybe the youngest ones)..that's why there are paintjobs. best to buy a good frame that you can swing fast enough for as long as your sessions last that has a sweetspot you can reliably hit and stick with it.

monologuist
03-02-2005, 09:35 PM
points well taken....I didn't change gear for years....I actually played an old racquet that was far more demanding than any of the ones I've used in the last 2 years, the Prince Graphtech DB 90, up until a little over a year ago. Back then, you coul donly choose between MID and OS! I took some time off from the game and returned about a year ago, a little rusty. So I picked up a Prince TT Warrior OS and began playing several times a week, thinking the old Prince DB 90 would be too demanding after my time off. I've improved drastically through the last year, but have admittedly been a gear-switcher. I dropped the Warrior OS because I found it unwieldy on my 1 hh backhand, which was my biggest weakness, and turned to the Wilson Surge X. After that switch and some lessons, my backhand evolved from a clear weakness to a reliable weapon. Unfortunately, I got sucked into the Tweener-vortex! The added boost of power and maneuverability of the Surge X combined with hard practice allowed me to win more point than ever before, but the trade-off was shoulder and arm pains. So I committed to another racquet search, this time for a flexier stick with similar tweener weight. I tried the Prince Shark and Diablo MP, the Volkl Tour 8 and 9 V-engine, the Head LM Instinct, the Dunlop 200g XL, the RDX-500's, and many others before deciding that the Yonex MP Tour-5 was the answer here. I slowly added more and more lead as I got stronger and stronger from playing so much. I got up to about 12.1 oz., 10 pts. headlight with it (swingweight is probably like 325 or so now). I also experimented with different strings and tensions and have settled on a set-up that works very well. It has served me well for about 6 months now for the most part, although when I play people that are clearly more advanced, or if I am just having an "off" day, I find that I usually fare better, reverting to a more tweener-ish stick like the Surge X (I actually phased the Surge out and the Pro Kennex Laver SX in, as it seemed to play very similarly but I didn't have to string it as tight due to lower power; thus less pain!) So that's where I'm at now : the Yonex, which specs out close to the Fischer Pro Tour FT, and the Laver SX every now and then as a backup. I feel like I pretty much know how they'll respond under most conditions by now, and am satisfied 90%! But maybe I'm a sucker for advertising or hype, but the release of the Pro Kennex Ki line, the Babolat Aeropro line, as well as this Fischer piqued my curiosity again, so I recently took out some more demo's. I played great with the Aeropro's; never got so much topspin in my life, but I'm not sold on them enough to replace my current combo. The Fischer sounds like it wouldn't be that different from the Yonex I use; I just got curious after such a glowing review. I like demo-ing new sticks that are well-received just for fun a few times a year, but unless I'm just blown away, I don't see myself switching again for quite some time....and the next change I make, might very well be back to square one : the old Prince Graphtech DB 90 that I learned on as a teenager!