PDA

View Full Version : USTA Flex League - Is it any good?

PushyPushster
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Does anyone have experience with the USTA flex singles league? I missed the deadline for UltimateTennis and was considering this as an alternative. Any advice from the Atlanta area would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

jgn1013
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the travel times are longer then normal, I assume it depends on your rating. I would try peach tennis, I think they guarantee 15 minute drive time.

GPB
02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I love my flex league in southeast GA. There is flexibility in scheduling, and it's tons of fun.

jgn1013
02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I love my flex league in southeast GA. There is flexibility in scheduling, and it's tons of fun.

how's the travel time?

eeytennis
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Does anyone have experience with the USTA flex singles league? I missed the deadline for UltimateTennis and was considering this as an alternative. Any advice from the Atlanta area would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

Flex Leagues are nice, you get to play on your own time and convenience. The only problem I have with it, is that it's sometimes hard to schedule matches with everyone in your box.

NetMaster70
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Personal opinion --> flex leagues are not the way to go if you have other options. Scheduling can be a pain and drive times are way too long. It's more fun and less trouble to just play in a club league every Saturday morning.

goober
02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Personal opinion --> flex leagues are not the way to go if you have other options. Scheduling can be a pain and drive times are way too long. It's more fun and less trouble to just play in a club league every Saturday morning.
The only problem I have with club leagues is that you eventually play the same people over and over again after you have been in them awhile. That's why I am taking a break and playing flex.

The negatives of flex are that some people don't respond to emails and for whatever reason are very difficult to schedule matches with. Some people play few or even no matches (not sure why they signed up in the first place). The driving times are variable, but once you reach a large number of players in your area it is not too bad.

jwr1972
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Pushy,

I live north of ATL and play in leaguetennis. It is a great flex league and has good players. I've never had to forfeit anyone and I have just played my second season with them(6 matches for $20). Can't beat the price and customer service.

PushyPushster
02-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, I went ahead and singed up for USTAFlex. I've had great experiences with the UltimateTennis flex league and hope this one will be okay. I'll post a review after it's over.

Thanks for the advice!

christo
02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I just signed up again, it's great value and brings out some players you don't see in the regular USTA leagues. In Norcal the drive times in my area are minimal, two thumbs up.

Rob Johnson
02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I signed up for one last year as my first foray into league play, and the league was canceled because not enough people signed up.

It was disappointing.

GPB
02-26-2009, 11:09 AM
how's the travel time?

Here at our local flex league, the drive times are usually 15-20 minutes to play anyone in the area. No complaints there.

It's actually the only "official" tennis I play - no USTA for me, flex leagues all the way!

TheGreatestAudia
02-26-2009, 12:34 PM
USTA is a ripoff if you don't play tourneys. KSWISS/Ultimate Tennis is a lot of fun, highly competitive, and customer service is pretty good. $35 for 7 guaranteed, possible playoffs. Not bad.

goober
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
USTA is a ripoff if you don't play tourneys. KSWISS/Ultimate Tennis is a lot of fun, highly competitive, and customer service is pretty good. $35 for 7 guaranteed, possible playoffs. Not bad.

hmm IMO if you play USTA team leagues you are better off from a price to play ratio than tourneys. Most tourneys are around $25-50 a pop. Pretty expensive especially if you lose in the 1st round. $25 is all you have to pay for leagues for a season (although there can be added costs from your club but that is independent of the USTA).

The USTA flex leagues are $25 if you are a member in my area. USTA membership at $40 a year (less if you get multiyear memberships or promos) is not going to break the bank for most people.

treo
02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I played USTA flex league in ATL three years ago and everybody forfeited except two, and one of them quit after a few games.
Ultimate Tennis is much better and you can play for free as a sub. Even weeks into the season, if someone drops out you can sub for him for free. You just have to play your matches in less weeks.

TheGreatestAudia
02-27-2009, 04:26 AM
hmm IMO if you play USTA team leagues you are better off from a price to play ratio than tourneys. Most tourneys are around $25-50 a pop. Pretty expensive especially if you lose in the 1st round. $25 is all you have to pay for leagues for a season (although there can be added costs from your club but that is independent of the USTA).

The USTA flex leagues are $25 if you are a member in my area. USTA membership at $40 a year (less if you get multiyear memberships or promos) is not going to break the bank for most people.

That's the thing. You're really paying $65 for a season. I just don't think that USTA has that great of a deal for tennis. You have to pay for everything AFTER paying for a membership. I'll go and play KSWISS for $35. You're right about the tourneys for USTA. They're even more ridiculous.

jgn1013
02-27-2009, 05:05 AM
I played USTA flex league in ATL three years ago and everybody forfeited except two, and one of them quit after a few games.
Ultimate Tennis is much better and you can play for free as a sub. Even weeks into the season, if someone drops out you can sub for him for free. You just have to play your matches in less weeks.

The biggest problem I found when playing the not so popular flex leagues is the drive time. I played USTA about 2 years ago, had to drive all over the place, which prohibits my play time to only weekends. With kswiss, the drive time is about 5 minutes, giving me the opportunity to play after work on weekdays if needed. I am thinking about playing peach tennis along with my kswiss just to get more matches.

jwr1972
02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
If any of you guys want to play leaguetennis.com, just let me know before you sign up and I will give you my code(it is a referral code to give me a discount for recommending leaguetennis.com and it lasts for as many seasons as you play).

Jon

OrangePower
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I've considered signing up for USTA flex league here in NorCal. But then thinking about it, I don't really see much added benefit versus just arranging and playing your own matches against people you know of a similar level. In either case, logistics and scheduling are up to you, and results don't count towards NTRP. And either way there isn't the team/social aspect that is part of the fun of regular USTA leagues.

I guess for someone who does not have an existing circle of potential playing partners or is looking to expand on their circle it makes sense, but am I missing anything else? For those that have played USTA Flex, what do you find attractive about it beyond the 'matchmaking' aspect?

mikeler
02-27-2009, 11:44 AM
The negatives of flex are that some people don't respond to emails and for whatever reason are very difficult to schedule matches with. Some people play few or even no matches (not sure why they signed up in the first place). The driving times are variable, but once you reach a large number of players in your area it is not too bad.

This is my biggest complaint with these leagues. It is puzzling why people sign up and never respond to e-mails or phone calls. Oh well, it's their money down the toilet.

I guess for someone who does not have an existing circle of potential playing partners or is looking to expand on their circle it makes sense, but am I missing anything else? For those that have played USTA Flex, what do you find attractive about it beyond the 'matchmaking' aspect?

This is how I got back into tennis. Eventually you meet good people that are at your level. After about 3 years of playing leagues, I had enough people in my rotation that I could find a match almost every day of the week if I wanted to.

PushyPushster
02-28-2009, 05:11 AM
After signing up I was scheduled for 8 matches which is great for $25. One of the drive times will stink. Another thing I noticed was that I'm only playing 4 people - but I play them all twice. I've never been in a league that does that before. Not sure what I think about it yet.

One last note - the USTAflex rules state that a third set will always be played in tiebreaker format unless both parties agree to actually play out the third set. That's the opposite from every league in Atlanta that I've ever played. Won't be good for my game.

GPB
02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
That's cool, PP. My flex league is also against just 4 others, and we play everyone twice. I really like that format - there's no surprises the second match!
We also have the "tiebreak unless you really wanna play a whole set" rule as well. What do the other leagues do differently?