PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain - pls. help.

agassi_fan
04-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi,
I am a M/25. I have been having a dull pain in my lower back on the right side (above the hip). It happens when I bend backwards (stand straight, elbows on hips and arch the torso backwards). Also, sometimes it happens when I run (or even walk with long strides). It started few months ago, but would occur for few min after I went for a jog/run or sometimes when I lay in bed.( I thought may be muscle sprain or so).
I thought I will take sometime off, letting it heal if its a minor injury, but saw only a little bit of improvement.

Saw an ortho couple of weeks ago. Did a cursory exam asked me -bend this way / that way and gave me some anti-inflammatories / pain killers. It helped when I took them, but the moment I stopped, it would be back again. ( He said we would take X-rays etc later if needed).

There is some improvement. I can sit for few hours at work or sleep OK at night. But, I am really depressed that I am away from Tennis and other sports. Currently, I still cannot bend/extend.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? what were your experiences? Also, if you happen to know sports injuries etc, plz let me know your thoughts, since I think correct diagnosis is half solution.

Would love to get back to Tennis asap,

thanx a lot,

netman
04-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Around the mid-20's the back begins to age and starts a slow process of degeneration that is normal for all folks. You need to understand this aging process so you can minimize the impact it can have on your active life. There are some great web sites on the web that deal with the back. Two of the best are www.spineuniverse.com and www.spineuniversity.com.

If you want to really understand the misinformation dispensed by the medical community when it comes to the back, read Dr. John Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain". It will definitely make you think and may help you deal with your condition. For example, your symptoms of depression and frustration may actually be making things worse. Read Sarno's book.

Good luck.
Ken