PDA

View Full Version : Rafa vs Roger 05' French

Postpre
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Man, Rafa was a lightning quick back in 05' when he played Roger at the French Open. I hadn't seen too many highlights of this match until I just watched it below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk8lVm2ldY

I'm not sure if he's any quicker today. He's stronger no doubt in the lower body. His balance and footwork are probably better. But, he was a quick 18-19 year old.

Nadal_Freak
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah he probably had more speed but a lot less power back then. Typical of players when they are young.

Lotto
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Holy Sh*t, what a beast~! The speed 8) Unbelievable~! :shock:

iamke55
02-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah he probably had more speed but a lot less power back then. Typical of players when they are young.

I can't agree with this one. Typically, young players have a lot more power and a lot less brains compared to when they get older. Nadal is one of the very few exceptions I've seen to this one.

Nadal_Freak
02-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I can't agree with this one. Typically, young players have a lot more power and a lot less brains compared to when they get older. Nadal is one of the very few exceptions I've seen to this one.
I think you might be right about the brains but players can really improve their physique over the years.. They can get more on the ball off the run which is usually where the improved physique pays off.

RCizzle65
02-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey, this was taken from Federermagic's youtube, I bet if it was still up Nadal Freak would want his account suspended

Nadal_Freak
02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Hey, this was taken from Federermagic's youtube, I bet if it was still up Nadal Freak would want his account suspended

I got the DVD for that match. Btw he shouldn't do Copyright Infringement. Youtube must know from me. ;)

CyBorg
02-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I got the DVD for that match. Btw he shouldn't do Copyright Infringement. Youtube must know from me. ;)

The ethical issues surrounding copyright go far beyond your narrow little skull.

tahiti
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think Rafa's any slower now. We saw him last week in the SF's and got to see him training. We were close and in real life, man he hits so hard and fast it's frightening!
Maybe it's power and speed I don't know either way it's intense. Vamos for Rafa this FO

bolo
02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't think Rafa's any slower now. We saw him last week in the SF's and got to see him training. We were close and in real life, man he hits so hard and fast it's frightening!
Maybe it's power and speed I don't know either way it's intense. Vamos for Rafa this FO

I don't think he is slower either. I have seen him replicate many of the plays from 2005 clay in the last couple of years. But is he faster as one would expect someone moving from 19 to 22? Maybe. Sometimes he tracks down drop shots on clay that I am not sure he would have gotten to in 2005.

veroniquem
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't think he is slower either. I have seen him replicate many of the plays from 2005 clay in the last couple of years. But is he faster as one would expect someone moving from 19 to 22? Maybe. Sometimes he tracks down drop shots on clay that I am not sure he would have gotten to in 2005.
You can't expect a 22 to be faster than a 19 year old. Stronger maybe but not faster.

tahiti
02-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Is he faster now, hard to judge. He recently doesn't always get all drop shots, but they could just be being played better. If they gett faster as they mature, maybe it's more mental anticipation so it seems so :)

bolo
02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
You can't expect a 22 to be faster than a 19 year old. Stronger maybe but not faster.

I don't think there is anything to be gained by that distinction.

I am saying something simple, a typical sprinter's (100m? 200m?) time likely goes up from 19 to 22. So I would expect without knowing anything about nadal that he should be improving his speed from 19 to 22. If you tell me that he is holding steady over the last 2-3 years I would have to guess that his injuries might have something to do with that.

bolo
02-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Is he faster now, hard to judge. He recently doesn't always get all drop shots, but they could just be being played better. If they gett faster as they mature, maybe it's more mental anticipation so it seems so :)

It's hard to tease everything apart, sure he looked slow in the final of the AO, but last year he wouldn't have even been there :) and like you say they might be better drop shots now as players now realize that nadal has pretty good hands near the net.

the cause of getting faster as you get move from 19 to mid 20s? strength, experience, discipline, technique, better coaching, could be many things.

sheq
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
ı dont know he is faster now or not but he is so much calmer now

ı also realize roger wasnt afraid of nadal like he is now,, he had showed so much anger at that match and go for his shots..he should do that in these days too..