PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Channel/Direct TV

TennisLover4
03-01-2005, 01:44 PM
I am so fed up with DirecTV... All I want to do is get The Tennis Channel, and everytime I call them they tell me it is coming. I am sick of their lies! I am know I am missing so much good programming and tons of tournaments that it is NOT worth it to wait around for DTV to get a life!

joeman957
03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
This would have been a better post in the Rants and Raves forum.

But I agree, I really want The Tennis Channel but I Dish Network, and they don't know if they'll ever get it. A lot of people are pointing me over to VoOM though, TTC comes standard. www.voom.com

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Don't you need an HDTV to get voom? And my mom works for directv and I keep telling her to tell them to get ttc. I think she might have told them once and they said that they have to work out something with ttc or something to that effect.

Something else I don't get. Why do some cities with directv get ttc and others don't?

Hal
03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I am so fed up with DirecTV... All I want to do is get The Tennis Channel, and everytime I call them they tell me it is coming. I am sick of their lies! I am know I am missing so much good programming and tons of tournaments that it is NOT worth it to wait around for DTV to get a life!

I feel your pain. I've called DirecTV, too. All I get is "I'll send in the request to my manager." I'm sure it goes in the round filing cabinet the minute I get off the phone. I've also sent emails, too, but no luck there.

Hal
03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Something else I don't get. Why do some cities with directv get ttc and others don't?

I don't think anyone gets TTC with their DirecTV subscription. I'd like to hear otherwise, but a satelite feed is a satelite feed...

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
I know in Indianapolis you can get ttc but I think you have to order it. I don't know, I would have to ask my sister or brother-in-law.

Hal
03-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I'd like to hear more about this. Anyone from Indy with DirecTV?

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:08 PM
There might be more than just Indy. I will look on the tennis channel website.

Hal
03-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Like I said, I don't think anyone gets TTC with DirecTV, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
According to there website Indy can't get it through directv but I know they can. And I can't find the page that has all of the carriers and cities that have the tennis channel.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Like I said, I don't think anyone gets TTC with DirecTV, but I'd like to be proven wrong.
Do you want me to call my sister and see if they can get it 'cause I can if you want me to. When I went to her house for christmas I asked her about it and she said that they could get it but it costs extra.

Cfidave
03-01-2005, 03:29 PM
I contacted Directv last week, response was " no plans to offer TTC at this time". They did not seem to care that I would be more then willing to pay for it, or in the event they would not offer it, I would switch to who ever did. Voom does have TTC, do not need HDTV, BUT you can not use Directv TIVO, and the satelite is in the southwest sky, which are both major problems for me. I would love to tell Directv to shove it, but there is no alternative at the moment.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
so you don't need hdtv to get voom?

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
I just read that you can't get voom anymore. According to Yahoo! the company that owns/owned voom will only provide it to current customers now.

Andy Hewitt
03-01-2005, 03:38 PM
I just read that you can't get voom anymore. According to Yahoo! the company that owns/owned voom will only provide it to current customers now.
This is an OUTRAGE!!!!! GRRRR!!!!
Woah, go to http://www.voom.com/

Lol that sux i just remembered that they were bought by dish network.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I know it is but there is a place called 4dtv that carries it. I will try to find out more about this place.

BreakPoint
03-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I might be wrong on this, but I thought I heard something about Comcast (?) buying out Voom recently with the intention of shutting them down? I think they wanted to kill the competition by buying them.

Anyway, I'm also p*ssed off at DirectTV. TTC has been saying for literally years that they are about to get DirectTV on board, that's a deal is imminent. Well, I've been hearing this since TTC launched a couple of years ago. Still no DirectTV deal.

I think there are so many useless, stupid, wasted channels on DirectTV that's it's not even funny. Do we really need like 10 home shopping channels? They could easily replace any one of them with TTC if they are concerned about running out of bandwidth on their satellite.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
The website for the other place is www.4dtv.com (http://www.4dtv.com). From what I have found out so far I think you need something called c-band to get it.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
BreakPoint, I didn't see anything about comcast buying voom but I might have just overlooked it. Here is the link if you want to check yourself:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_1

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 04:01 PM
If someone would, would you go to the 4dtv website that I posted earlier and try and figure out something about it? I was looking and I can't really figure anything else out because my lack of knowledge of technology.

West Coast Ace
03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I have DirecTV - I sent them an email and got the 'not in our plans' response. I respect that. Want to know why? I think Steve Bellamy the head of The Tennis Channel is the problem, not DirecTV. I have to believe that if Steve priced his channel properly DirecTV (and everyone else) would pick it up in a heartbeat. But Steve a) is trying to sell his channel like The Golf Channel; b) incurs high overhead by keeping his base of operations in Southern California. Sorry Steve, tennis isn't golf. Golf is hot - tennis is not. As much as we like the sport, it just doesn't have the following that golf currently does. And if Steve were to stop wanting to stay in LA (he also has an office in Manhattan) and hobnob with Sampras and the Hollywood stars and move to Florida, say Tampa or Orlando, he could reduced his overhead greatly - retail rents and wages in So Cal are MUCH higher than Central Florida - and thus lower the price he's asking DirecTV for his channel. Plus, since most pros train in FL, he'd have much more access to them for interviews, etc. Too bad the wrong guy got this channel. I'm hoping he eventually sells off to smarter people.

goober
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
geez i was just about to switch to Voom. So now TTC has gone from one satellite provider to none? Why is it so hard to get a deal done with DISH/DTV?

Direct TV has like 6 different Discovery channels, a horse racing channel, 2 outdoors channels, a channel for extreme sports, a racing channel and one that is playing soccer all the time.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Maybe we should just keep pestering directv until they finally get ttc.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I have DirecTV - I sent them an email and got the 'not in our plans' response. I respect that. Want to know why? I think Steve Bellamy the head of The Tennis Channel is the problem, not DirecTV. I have to believe that if Steve priced his channel properly DirecTV (and everyone else) would pick it up in a heartbeat. But Steve a) is trying to sell his channel like The Golf Channel; b) incurs high overhead by keeping his base of operations in Southern California. Sorry Steve, tennis isn't golf. Golf is hot - tennis is not. As much as we like the sport, it just doesn't have the following that golf currently does. And if Steve were to stop wanting to stay in LA (he also has an office in Manhattan) and hobnob with Sampras and the Hollywood stars and move to Florida, say Tampa or Orlando, he could reduced his overhead greatly - retail rents and wages in So Cal are MUCH higher than Central Florida - and thus lower the price he's asking DirecTV for his channel. Plus, since most pros train in FL, he'd have much more access to them for interviews, etc. Too bad the wrong guy got this channel. I'm hoping he eventually sells off to smarter people.

Well, if directv did get ttc I could gaurantee you that they would have a lot more customers.

West Coast Ace
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Maybe we should just keep pestering directv until they finally get ttc.AJ, type until your toes bleed. And tie up that phone line. I read on the Tennis Channel that Steve wants everyone to do his bidding for him.

Time for him to take an Economics 101 class, price his product right, and grow his business. Here's a free idea for Steve: price it low for a few years, prove to DirecTV that they will get more subscribers, then ask for what you really want.

West Coast Ace
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, if directv did get ttc I could gaurantee you that they would have a lot more customers.AJ, you might subscribe - and a few hundred/thousand other tennis fans. But the sad fact is that, as much as we like the game, it's just not that popular. DirecTV is doing ok without TTC - Steve's channel gets ratings on par with public access TV. He needs to get a clue.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 06:49 PM
AJ, you might subscribe - and a few hundred/thousand other tennis fans. But the sad fact is that, as much as we like the game, it's just not that popular. DirecTV is doing ok without TTC - Steve's channel gets ratings on par with public access TV. He needs to get a clue.

Well, there might be a few more people like me. In '01 I saw an Agassi-Grosjean match at I believe the Masters Cup and from then on I was majorly hooked. Now I eat, sleep, and breathe tennis. And this was a few months after hearing that Venus and Serena both made the US Open finals. I just needed to see it.

And I would say that they are doing ok without ttc. I mean they have celebs like Nicholas Cage and I believe Shaq as subscribers(I think those are the ones that I heard).

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah, since my mom works there we get it free. We are supposed to get it sometime this month. So fortunately for me I don't have to subscribe.

VamosRafa
03-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Too bad the wrong guy got this channel. I'm hoping he eventually sells off to smarter people.

Until I hear that someone else wanted to do The Tennis Channel and was aced about by Steve Bellamy, so to speak, I'm not going to knock him.

Remember the days when we were all lamenting that there wasn't a tennis channel, and we had to rely on ESPN. Thank goodness those days are gone. Someone picked up that ball and ran with it, and I'm glad he did. I don't recall people tripping over themselves to do so at the time, though.

I've had TTC since almost the beginning. Granted, I'm in Southern California -- and maybe that helps. Don't you get TTC, West Coast Ace????

I really don't understand why a satellite provider won't pick it up, because it seems the next logical step. The Channel has picked up a tournament, is increasing it's broadcasting (lots less repeats now), etc.

I'd probably investigate it more, except that I have coverage on my cable for an extra $10 a month. So no worries for me.

But I think others should bombard the TTC site, which is expanding and improving as we speak, and get yourselves heard on these issues.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 10:29 PM
But I think others should bombard the TTC site, which is expanding and improving as we speak, and get yourselves heard on these issues.

What exactly did you think we should do?

VamosRafa
03-01-2005, 10:42 PM
What exactly did you think we should do?

What the folks at TTC tell you that you need to do.

I know I made a bunch of calls and e-mails to Adelphia when TTC first came on board, and next thing ya know, Adelphia is carrying it. It took about 6-8 months or so, but I've had it since then.

And I was relentless, as you can probably imagine. *lol* Every time Adelphia called me re an upgrade or something, I'd say, "Get The Tennis Channel, and then we'll talk." Well, they got it, and then I upgraded. :-)

TTC has a page called "Get The Tennis Channel." We link to it on the VamosRafael.com site. Maybe you should start there:

http://www.thetennischannel.com/getttc/

Good Luck! I think you'll find it worth the effort.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I can try it, but wouldn't it be funny if I called one time and I got my mom? I think it would.

And I know that you link to it, I had been to your site a couple times before I came here and I have been back since then. It is a good site, especially compared to mine which is very generic looking.

aj_m2009
03-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I just filled out the petition form. Now, do you think I should do it every day or every other day? Plus maybe calling in and requesting it every so often.

VamosRafa
03-02-2005, 12:47 AM
I just filled out the petition form. Now, do you think I should do it every day or every other day? Plus maybe calling in and requesting it every so often.

*lol*

Thanks for your compliment re the Nadal site.

BTW, what is your site? Please post the link.

But getting back to the question at hand.

What do you think I would do if I didn't have TTC??? Notice I got it within a few months of asking for it. Adelphia caved. They knew they couldn't withstand the pressure. *lol*

Seriously, I was relentless, but I do think that Steve Bellamy had already made inroads with Adelphia, so I was fighting a winning battle there. And I was surprised that we got it so quickly.

I know it hasn't been the same way in other areas of the country, but I do think that consumer demand is critical.

For example, with me, I can only get TTC with digital cable. So I had to upgrade to digital, whereas otherwise I'd only have basic cable for about $30 a month. Now I pay close to $100 a month.

But that's because with the digital package, we were also able to get our internet through Adelphia, and it worked out well for us. In fact, my husband, who is very happy with our internet connection through cable, was a bit annoyed that we were paying for digital cable when we only use it for TTC and some of our kids' cartoons.

So he called Adelphia and discovered that if we discontinue the digital, we'll save $9.95 a month -- assuming we keep all other services in place.

So, phewwww, TTC is safe, for the $9.95 a month. :-)

The point is -- keep bugging your cable providers, and the dish networks for it.

Given how TTC has improved over the past year -- and I've seen major improvements -- I think it's in move-ahead mode. Just have to get other providers onboard the train.

aj_m2009
03-02-2005, 12:53 AM
The link is in my sig. It isn't a tennis site, it is a christian site for teenagers. I wrote everything on the site so the articles are a little crapy but I'm trying.

VamosRafa
03-02-2005, 12:59 AM
The link is in my sig. It isn't a tennis site, it is a christian site for teenagers. I wrote everything on the site so the articles are a little crapy but I'm trying.

It's a very nice site. And great messages for teens. I'm now a mother of a teen myself. Man, that kid seems to have grown-up overnight, or at least he thinks he has. He just turned 13.

I'll check out your site more. Thanks for pointing it out. :-)

aj_m2009
03-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I myself am only 13 but I only have a few months left though.:)

tennissavy
03-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I live in PA and whenever I contacted Directv, which is my provider, I am told that they have no information about the tennis channel. Very frustrating, especially when I click on the tv schedule section of the Tennis Warehouse's site and mostly every event is on the tennis channel.

BreakPoint
03-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I guess it was Echostar (DISH Network) that bought out Voom, not Comcast. My mistake. In any case, that press release sounds like DISH will shut down Voom after 30 days and then move all of Voom's current customers to DISH.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_1

Hal
03-02-2005, 02:28 PM
If someone would, would you go to the 4dtv website that I posted earlier and try and figure out something about it? I was looking and I can't really figure anything else out because my lack of knowledge of technology.

4DTV is for people that own the LARGE satelite dishes, not the small DBS dishes that DirecTV and DISH use. Unfortunately, this is not a solution for DirecTV subscribers.

joeman957
03-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I guess it was Echostar (DISH Network) that bought out Voom, not Comcast. My mistake. In any case, that press release sounds like DISH will shut down Voom after 30 days and then move all of Voom's current customers to DISH.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_1

Does that mean Dish Network will be getting The Tennis Channel? It better, because I was about to drop DISH for VOOM. Someone please tell me they will!

Dreadeye
03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
The Echostar (Dish Network) deal fell through.............there's a whole soap opera battle going on with the family that owns Cablevision (VOOM).

Looks like they've given up the ghost........saw a post on another message board about the termination notices all the VOOM employees received today.

I wonder how many of VOOM's subscribers plan on paying their bill this month?

NoBadMojo
03-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I have Voom..it is going dark..nobody bought them.that doesnt preclude someone stepping up to the plate in the 11th hour..appears it is one of those father son battles..voomTV is very disorganized..too bad..a most excellent picture quality, lots of HD signals, and they have the tennis channel..i think they are superior to either Dish or Direct, having previously had Dish..oh well..looks like i am out my 2cents installation fee..i'll just stay with it until it goes dark

Ariel
03-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Back to topic, I believe that Steve Bellami is a smoke blower; all the guys out there that post in TTC forums asking him for news with the satellite providers will know what I'm talking about.

At least before TTC I could get some finals or SF in either Fox sports or ESPN: San Jose, Scottdale, highlights of roma, hamburg, monaco, Thu to Sunday of Madrid and Paris TMS, Stella Artois, and the list goes on and on. I understand that there are many people out there that is fortunate enough to live in cities where TTC is available. For the bulk of us, TTC is just a disgrace.

Andy Hewitt
03-02-2005, 05:36 PM

???
Hey kid, that link goes to a site about a super (definately illegal) laser that burns through anything. I saw the video on that site a while back when i first clicked it. Lol anyone else see this?

VamosRafa
03-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Back to topic, I believe that Steve Bellami is a smoke blower; all the guys out there that post in TTC forums asking him for news with the satellite providers will know what I'm talking about.

At least before TTC I could get some finals or SF in either Fox sports or ESPN: San Jose, Scottdale, highlights of roma, hamburg, monaco, Thu to Sunday of Madrid and Paris TMS, and the list goes on and on. I understand that there are many people out there that is fortunate enough to live in cities where TTC is available. For the bulk of us, TTC is just a disgrace.

I don't think TTC is a disgrace. It's a total shame that you don't get it, and I'd feel very disappointed if I didn't get it. So I understand your feelings.

Is there anyone here who has TTC and thinks it isn't worth the money?

From what I understand ESPN had dropped and had no plans to pick up Roma, Hamburg, Monte Carlo, Madrid or Paris. Why would they? Those events don't tend to feature the usual American suspects? There weren't many bidders on them -- remember when the Outdoor Channel or whatever it was picked up some events for a bit. And that totally fizzled.

So TTC got them for a song, and now, during those events, they broadcast about 10 hours of continuous live coverage, and then repeat it again. Stuff you'd never see on ESPN or Fox.

Yes, a little is better than nothing -- I agree. But I'm not sure you'd be getting the little you used to get before. The TTC may be the only reason we get any of these events in the USA.

I do think Steve has worked hard to try to get DirecTV or the other main dish providers on board. I really don't know why it hasn't worked. He certainly keeps asking all fans to make calls, send letters, e-mails and such.

I have to assume if would be a huge feather in his cap to have TTC on a major dish network? Why would he not work hard for it? Surely would help with sponsors and such. Just looking at it from a business point of view. I can't imagine him sitting in his office saying, "Nope, I don't want more people to have access to TTC."

Max G.
03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
At least before TTC I could get some finals or SF in either Fox sports or ESPN: San Jose, Scottdale, highlights of roma, hamburg, monaco, Thu to Sunday of Madrid and Paris TMS, and the list goes on and on. I understand that there are many people out there that is fortunate enough to live in cities where TTC is available. For the bulk of us, TTC is just a disgrace.

I'd rather have such a TTC than none at all - because given some time, 10-15 years, it'll get better and start being shown on more channels. That transition is/will be painful, but the end result will hopefully be better than what we were before.

I support TTC fully, though I do not get it.

joeman957
03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
I kind of agree with Ariel, I don't think Steve is trying very hard to get TTC on the dish providers. TTC should be a standard, like the learning channel, the history channel, the travel channel, etc. haha.

aj_m2009
03-02-2005, 10:28 PM
???
Hey kid, that link goes to a site about a super (definately illegal) laser that burns through anything. I saw the video on that site a while back when i first clicked it. Lol anyone else see this?

Could you please not address me as 'kid'? I do have a screen name you know. And sure it does.