PDA

View Full Version : First job of gut..........all done!

Mansewerz
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Well half gut :-P I did a hybrid of PHT 16 and Babolat VS (team?) 16. The gut had a lot of coil memory. I slowed down because I didn't want to kink it or anything. I didn't pull as hard on knots, and all went well. After cutting the excess off, I kinked it, and I saw what could have happened to the string job. The fibres were looking like they were ready to pop out.

Zhou
02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah, it was a really good idea on being careful. It gets easier as you do more because everything becomes second nature.

Mansewerz
02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it was a really good idea on being careful. It gets easier as you do more because everything becomes second nature.

Weaving was pretty easy because of how soft the stuff was. I liked it.

tennisxlsdk
02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
what is 'kinking' or rather not kinking exactly?? thanks, just got my Klip Legend and will be stringing it on my PSL soon.

Mansewerz
02-20-2009, 08:24 PM
what is 'kinking' or rather not kinking exactly?? thanks, just got my Klip Legend and will be stringing it on my PSL soon.

Kinks are sharp bends in the string. It typically happens when pulling string through (especially on crosses or one piece jobs because there is more string) and the strings tangle up as you pull.

YULitle
02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Good idea taking the scrap to see what the kinking looks like. Very good idea.

kaibaNYC06
02-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Did you prestretch it? Never had coil memory problems w/ gut before :-?.

scotus
02-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Mansewerz, have you ever strung any cheap natural gut? If you have, you would certainly appreciate how easy Babolat VS is to string.

BigGriff
02-21-2009, 12:27 AM

I was wondering the same thing?

Mansewerz
02-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Nope, I couldn't get ahold of the customer, and he didn't mention prestretch.

Mansewerz, have you ever strung any cheap natural gut? If you have, you would certainly appreciate how easy Babolat VS is to string.

No, VS is my first gut experience.

When I mention coil memory, it liked to stay in the shape it was packaged as. I didn't want to pull quick to kink it.

jim e
02-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Mans: I string a lot of gut, and usually no one even asks about prestretch. I just pull the string.... not a great amount, but just enough to feel the string go limp,I do not overdo it,its just a slight pre stretch I do the same each time, and that is enough to eliminate a % of the coil memory. I do that to all the gut jobs.That way, I am more comfortable stringing the racquet, and the result is a better job.No one has ever come back and complained.They are all consistantly done the same.And the gut customers are the ones that always come back for future jobs.Seems recently I am getting more all gut jobs to do.
I am actually at a point that I don't want more customers, as my free time is limited. Have other things to do after work, and I do still want some time to hit the ball myself.I do enjoy stringing, but only so many.

kaibaNYC06
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM

No, VS is my first gut experience.

When I mention coil memory, it liked to stay in the shape it was packaged as. I didn't want to pull quick to kink it.

OHhh..... At our store, all gut jobs get pre-stretched (and we have to clean our machines + cut thin pieces cardboard to hold the strings). I'm not really sure why we have to pre-stretch though (tension mantience??) .

saram
02-21-2009, 11:33 PM

I have never had memory problems with gut, either.