PDA

View Full Version : looking for Crisp Gosen Jim Courier but in 17g

Pro_Tour_630
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I need a very crisp 17g synthetic ONLY, I know TW used to have GOsen jim Courier in 17g but not anymore, anyone know where I can get this string or similar

prince original 17g, prince duraflex 17g comes to mind, anything from Klip etc....

Pro_Tour_630
02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
bump WOW no one knows any crisp synthetic strings that are 17g, :confused:

Valjean
02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
FYI, OG Sheep Micro Super JC measures as a true 16L.

I'd prefer POSG as a substitute, if I know what you mean. The meaning of "crisp" in here has proved pretty hard to define to everyone's taste.

bad_call
02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
if you mean firm (not mushy) then another suggestion is Head syn gut pps 17. not sure what you are looking for.

!Tym
02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
bump WOW no one knows any crisp synthetic strings that are 17g, :confused:

I'm sure you've probably tried these already, so not sure why you wouldn't already know about them, but here it goes...

Laserfibre Laserlite XL 16L or 17L, and Laserfibre Laser Tour 17g.

These strings make a tremendously rewarding, explosive, "popping" sound on contact that I particularly enjoyed. They're Laser treated, so they keep their tension. And they're also incredibly playable. They're like Gamma TNT, explosive, reslient, powerful, crisp yet comfortable...but better, on crystaline crack, more crisp, and keep their tension and playability till the moment they break.

Great, GREAT strings imo...just not at the price they sell for.

That's the only knock on them imo. They're the best standard "synthetic gut" solid core strings I've tried. They are the creme-de-la-cheesecake of plain Jane synthetic guts imo.

But again, it just comes down to price with them. At basically $10 a pop, it's hard to justify the price for a string breaker. If you're a hard hitter, or hit with a lot of spin, they're like any other synthetic gut...prone to snapping real fast. But unlike a normal synthetic gut, you think twice about it knowing how much you paid for it.

The_Question
02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Wilson Syn Gut Extreme 17 will be your next best bet. Granted, it's not as crisp or lively as Super JC...

Keifers
02-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, Gosen JC 17 is no longer available -- not even in Japan. I had a friend here contact his friend in Japan who is in the tennis retail business -- not available.

Have you considered Wilson Reaction 17? Nice crisp feel, very playable and maintains tension really well.

Otherwise, POSG 17 would a very good choice.

saram
02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
I like the Micro 17. Moves a lot but plays well. Never tried the JC version. May have to give it a whirl. How differently does it play than the Micro 17?

Pro_Tour_630
02-23-2009, 06:15 AM
thanks,

the JC is 16 not 16L, anyone who tried it knows what I am talking about when it comes to the word crispy, reaction is crsipy but a Multi resin not solid core, it is nice as well,

nothing from Klip, :confused:

I tried LF's line but did not care for them even pro stock

Kirko
02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I need a very crisp 17g synthetic ONLY, I know TW used to have GOsen jim Courier in 17g but not anymore, anyone know where I can get this string or similar

prince original 17g, prince duraflex 17g comes to mind, anything from Klip etc....

so sad JC 17 GA. is long gone ; it was a great, crisp, powerful string ! my go to string is prince syn. original (gold) color. I've been temped to try JC 16 GA. its gotta be very very similar.

Kot_Bigemot
02-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, Gosen JC 17 is no longer available -- not even in Japan. I had a friend here contact his friend in Japan who is in the tennis retail business -- not available.

Have you considered Wilson Reaction 17? Nice crisp feel, very playable and maintains tension really well.

Otherwise, POSG 17 would a very good choice.
Guys, i do not know about Japan but, i have many of really old Gosen strings. Like JC16, BIO natural and many more. If anyone is interested, please contact me so i can send a list.
I would be willing to trade or sell.
I do not thing that string goes bad, so, here is your blast from the past if you would :)
shtiblet@gmail.com

stician
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM

I'm currently testing Head Rip Control 17g. It's technically a multi but at $7 per set it's close enough to syn gut pricing. I'm impressed by its control and tension maintenance so far at 61 lbs. It's been 4 days, 2 sessions, 3.5 hours / 5 sets of usage. Besides the typical 24 hour drop off post stringing (a bit less than PSGD), tension is holding up, surprisingly. Resistance to movement is another plus. I like my strings stay playable until it breaks.

I can't say the same for PSGD, NRG2, and ISO speed professional (not original). I think I'm ready to give up hybriding with Klip Legend in this economy. Rip Control isn't as positive feeling nor as powerful as Legend but it feels crisp enough and offers control. I'm in the camp that believes bat speed and technique drive spin, power and placement.

Valjean
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
....the JC is 16 not 16L, anyone who tried it knows what I am talking about when it comes to the word crispy....
And here is the Tennis Industry Standard we are still talking about, to you:

US Int'l Measurement
16L 8 1.22-1.30 mm

According to the Gosen web site, the JC string measures 1.29mm unstrung. In addition, strung there is typically a drop in thickness of 5mm, which, if it proved out in your case, would even drop your JC-strung racquet into the 17 gauge class.

As to "crispness" or its meaning, Super JC has a stiffness of 212 lbs./sq. in. Regular Micro 16 and 17 registered 203 and 199, respectively. For this difference, Super JC can be and is in fact often referred to in here just as "stiff."

In addition, and for your information, to some in here "crisp" can refer principally to play at net. Like the player for whom it is named, though, Gosen's JC string is manufactured to facilitate mainly baseline play. POSG and even Wilson's Extreme Synthetic Gut are, for some, more familiar examples of a "crisp" string in the class of string you refer to. And, hey, in any event just do a board search if you think its meaning is all that clear in here.

It does matter what kind of game you play, still...

I've used Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super JC--in *both* gauges--and I like it, but then I know what I play with when I do.

hoodjem
02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super JC 16 has a stiffness factor of 212.

Here are some other synth guts with very close ratings but thinner gauge:

Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 16 Nylon 1.28 211
Alpha Viper MXT 16 Nylon 1.29 212
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 17 Nylon 1.26 212
Babolat Razor Spin 16 Nylon 1.30 214
Gamma TNT2 18 Nylon 1.18 214

Here's even some polys with a similar stiffness
Bow Brand Bowstar 20 Polyester 1.18 212
Isospeed Pulse 1.30 Polyester 1.30 214
Gosen Polylon Comfort 17 Polyester 1.26 215
Gosen Polylon SP 17 Polyester 1.25 215

And check this out:
Pro Supex Poly Power Soft Polyester 1.13 216

Luminous
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I've recommend Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super JC 16 for stiffness to and as hoodjem shows it has stiffest factor.

Pro_Tour_630
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
And here is the Tennis Industry Standard we are still talking about, to you:

US Int'l Measurement
16L 8 1.22-1.30 mm

According to the Gosen web site, the JC string measures 1.29mm unstrung. In addition, strung there is typically a drop in thickness of 5mm, which, if it proved out in your case, would even drop your JC-strung racquet into the 17 gauge class.

As to "crispness" or its meaning, Super JC has a stiffness of 212 lbs./sq. in. Regular Micro 16 and 17 registered 203 and 199, respectively. For this difference, Super JC can be and is in fact often referred to in here just as "stiff."

In addition, and for your information, to some in here "crisp" can refer principally to play at net. Like the player for whom it is named, though, Gosen's JC string is manufactured to facilitate mainly baseline play. POSG and even Wilson's Extreme Synthetic Gut is, for some, a more familiar example of a "crisp" string in the class of string you refer to. And, hey, in any event just do a board search if you think its meaning is all that clear in here.

It does matter what kind of game you play, still...

I've used Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super JC--in *both* gauges--and I like it, but then I know what I play with when I do.
thanks for the lecture but all I want is a string that is similar to JC in 1.25 (unstrung) or below call it whatever you want

anyway I am going by this

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-OGMS16L.html

this string is 1.25mm it is listed as 16L so JC at 1.29 is 16g, sorry

Pro_Tour_630
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
thanks H, but none of these will work except for the PSG
Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super JC 16 has a stiffness factor of 212.

Here are some other synth guts with very close ratings but thinner gauge:

Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 16 Nylon 1.28 211
Alpha Viper MXT 16 Nylon 1.29 212
Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex 17 Nylon 1.26 212
Babolat Razor Spin 16 Nylon 1.30 214
Gamma TNT2 18 Nylon 1.18 214

Here's even some polys with a similar stiffness
Bow Brand Bowstar 20 Polyester 1.18 212
Isospeed Pulse 1.30 Polyester 1.30 214
Gosen Polylon Comfort 17 Polyester 1.26 215
Gosen Polylon SP 17 Polyester 1.25 215

And check this out:
Pro Supex Poly Power Soft Polyester 1.13 216

Pro_Tour_630
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
to me crisp means it sounds crisp when I hit the ball not how stiff it is, if you hit with a JC17g you will know what i mean about how it SOUNDS, so far nothing out there that might be close except for the ones I have listed, thanks

Pro_Tour_630
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Guys, i do not know about Japan but, i have many of really old Gosen strings. Like JC16, BIO natural and many more. If anyone is interested, please contact me so i can send a list.
I would be willing to trade or sell.
I do not thing that string goes bad, so, here is your blast from the past if you would :)
shtiblet@gmail.com
do you have JC17g:)

chang10is
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Quick question for the people who have used Gosen Micro Super JC before. What should the print on the string say? The reason why I ask is because I bought a set on an auction site, but the package had been opened, and the string says something different from what I expected.

Kot_Bigemot
02-27-2009, 03:11 PM
do you have JC17g:)
No, just JC16 and many other Gosen strings.

Deano
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Quick question for the people who have used Gosen Micro Super JC before. What should the print on the string say? The reason why I ask is because I bought a set on an auction site, but the package had been opened, and the string says something different from what I expected.

It says "Jim Courier plays with Gosen OG-Sheep Micro Japan"

chang10is
02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
It says "Jim Courier plays with Gosen OG-Sheep Micro Japan"

Thanks, Deano!

datsveryinterestin
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
i probably have 3 sets left of JC 17g still. it is an awesome string. i have hoarded them for a while.

you can email me if you are interested. crazytopspin yahoo.com

i'm trying to think of something i could use in trade... dunno yet.
buy my Yonex RQIS Tour 1 light racquets in the classifieds and i will include them FREE!!! :)

rios76
02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't know this string but I am interested; a question: but is the 17JC feel so different from that of the 16?

datsveryinterestin
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
defnitely similar.. but there is something about the 17g guage with this string.. makes it feel even crisper, cups the ball more, more bite and spin.

the real question is why did they stop making it???? such a good string. it might be available in japan.. dunno.

opinions may differ, but one of the ONLY strings i found that i liked when looking for a JC17g substitute was Babolat Powergy... then THAT too was discontinued in the US. sigh...

hoodjem
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
to me crisp means it sounds crisp when I hit the ball not how stiff it is, if you hit with a JC17g you will know what i mean about how it SOUNDS, so far nothing out there that might be close except for the ones I have listed, thanks

I know. I love that crisp zingy sound.

!Tym
03-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Haven't used Jim Courier 17g in nearly 15 years and I only used it once and I also wasn't nearly as picky or "into" strings back then. That said, from what I remember it didn't really feel all that different from the packaged sets of OG Micro so I never went back to it again. It offered slightly more power, but I always thought the regular OG Micro (at least not the stuff from the reels) was VERY crisp sound and feeling in the thinner guages, and made that sound on impact. The 18g OG Micro in particular has this characteristic from my experience (owned a reel at one point). Basically, I could be wrong but I thought they felt similar back then, just that the Courier version felt a little bit more lively and responsive, a little more pop.

This said, have you tried the Jim Courier 17g TITANIUM version? That was during the "I care about strings" era, and when Rayyco was clearing it out around 98-99 or so.

Now this string SANG in my RD-7s. One of the best setups EVER in that racket at 65lbs. BY FAR my favorite synthetic gut setup ever tried in that racket. The most incredibly CRISP sounding sensation on impact I've ever tried. And like you said it SOUNDED crisp, HYPER crisp. It made me feel like I was crunching the ball with aluminum foil (in a very good way). I loved the way that string made me feel like I was hitting the ball ten times harder and more explosive.

Performance wise it was basically Laserfibre Laser Tour...i.e. crisp and lively yet comfortable yet *controllably* powerful. I don't know if it was the titanium coating though or what, but this synthetic gut had a "special" unique feel. It just felt grippier and crisper to me. Never tried any other titanium coated strings (it was definitely a short lived fad in the tennis industry) to tell, but like I said there was something slightly unique about the feel.

Again, I honestly don't have much recollection of the regular Jim Courier, so it's hard for me to compare. But I do know that this titanium version was outstanding for whatever that's worth. Best synthetic gut string I've tried hands down ever in my opinion.