PDA

View Full Version : When to restring when notching appears

lionel_101
02-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I was wondering when it is time to restring a racquet due to notching. Also, what effects does notching (when the strings can't move) have on hitting the ball?

I have seen racquets (mainly with syn gut) that has from none to almost 3/4 of the way through the string. The ones with deep notches, you can't even move the string.

Should one have it restrung when more then a 1/4 notch or 1/2 notch or 3/4 notch is showing or just play with it until the string breaks?

Hope this makes some since.

Valjean
02-21-2009, 04:34 AM
The sometime recommendation is to restring when the notch depth reaches 40% of the string's diameter.

mikeler
02-21-2009, 08:28 AM
The sometime recommendation is to restring when the notch depth reaches 40% of the string's diameter.

Guess I'll be restringing tonight then :)

Ronaldo
02-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I was wondering when it is time to restring a racquet due to notching. Also, what effects does notching (when the strings can't move) have on hitting the ball?

I have seen racquets (mainly with syn gut) that has from none to almost 3/4 of the way through the string. The ones with deep notches, you can't even move the string.

Should one have it restrung when more then a 1/4 notch or 1/2 notch or 3/4 notch is showing or just play with it until the string breaks?

Hope this makes some since.

When you notice the notching is that bad, could use a string-a-ling, then string a spare racquet that night.