PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Hollow Core - My thoughts on it

kashgotmoney
02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Just tryed the hollow core out of curiosity. It should be called hollow crap. I like prince synthetic gut way better and it has a way better price too. I strung it at 61 and the strings moved like CRAZY. I have NEVER seen any synthetic string move like this and it had no power. it snapped in 3 hours. the two middle main strings snapped on a overhead in a practice match. Not even a mishit, right in the middle. Worst string wilson has ever made

BigGriff
02-21-2009, 12:31 AM
It isn't a string for anyone with a game consisting of spin. I chewed through the stuff in about 45 mins of light hitting.

It may last more as a cross.:)

BigServer1
02-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I've got to agree with the OP...I got a few sets a couple months ago from my Wilson rep and the stuff plays just awful. I string tight, usually between 63-66 pounds, so I strung my racquet at 63 and played later that night. The results were awful. It was harsh, low powered (but not great on control) and it killed my elbow. I've used full-poly in the mid 60s, and Hollow-Core killed my arm...

I feel like this is a string that could work well as a hybrid or at lower tensions. Regardless, I'll have to find a way that it plays well because I have a lot of the stuff in my store...

meowmix
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm very curious in regards to the dislike this string has been received by the members of TW. It seems that only a few posters on here have liked it.

While I do agree that there is quite a bit of string movement, I thought that there was a very very nice feel with the string. Then again, perhaps I'm simply inexperienced wth strings? But I'm also curious- what do you guys mainly play with? I had been stringing with Gamma TNT Fatcore, and I thought that my hybrid of hollowcore and syn gut was quite a good deal better.

Mansewerz
02-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Good feeling string, just too expensive.

TonyB
02-21-2009, 04:54 PM
My experience is opposite of the posters here. I play with Hollow Core now as my main string and I love it. Great feel (very unique, very responsive), a decent amount of controlled power, satisfactory spin, and the tension maintenance is way above average.

I played with natural gut/poly hybrids for the last 2 years in several frames. One of them being my 70 RA stiffness Vantage mid. I had wrist and elbow problems (sharp pains and aches) with that frame every time I picked it up (literally after only an hour of hitting), but otherwise the frame was outstanding. As soon as I switched to a full set of Hollow Core, all of my wrist and elbow problems went away. I've been playing with my Vantage again now for about a month and my arm has never felt better.

I've played with 3 or 4 natural guts, just about every brand of synthetic gut on the market, at least a dozen multifilament strings, and a half dozen polys and, to me, nothing plays like Hollow Core. It's a great all-around "moderate" string. Not flashy in any one category, but very well balanced in all categories.

All in all, I love the string. It plays very consistently and offers good feedback that complements my serve and volley style of play. It's not overly powerful, so I can hit strong shots without worrying about them flying long. The ONLY complaint I have about the string is the price.

meowmix
02-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Tony, question for you.

I too am liking Hollowcore very much. However, the cost of the string is a bit high- my wallet isn't exactly liking the 13 dollars a set. Have you found any setups with the Hollowcore as the mains and the crosses as some cheaper string to play similarly to a full set of hollowcore?

TonyB
02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Tony, question for you.

I too am liking Hollowcore very much. However, the cost of the string is a bit high- my wallet isn't exactly liking the 13 dollars a set. Have you found any setups with the Hollowcore as the mains and the crosses as some cheaper string to play similarly to a full set of hollowcore?

I have not tried hybrids yet with the HC. I think the main reason is that I do not want to go back to any poly hybrids, due to my previous issues with it, and I don't have any other cheap synthetics sitting around right now.

What I would suggest is to try some OG Micro or some PSG (original or Duraflex) in the mains and try putting the HC in the crosses. That would make your stringbed around $7 or $8 instead of the $13 for the HC alone, which is a bit better on cost. You could even go with some Leoina 66 in the mains to save even more money and increase durability. That actually might be the best option.

Honestly, the price of the HC is actually lower than my previous natural gut/poly hybrid that I used to play with. And since I'm not a string breaker, I don't mind the $13 per set for the HC, because it retains tension so well that I never have to cut it out. Sure, it will eventually break, but only right at the end of its useful life, which usually happens right as the tension maintenance starts breaking down and the playability suffers.

You'll hear a lot of people saying that Sensation is better, or that HC plays "exactly like Reaction" or whatever. Lots of people hate it altogether. Some people say that PSGD is a "way better string". All I know is what I have experienced personally, which is to say that a full set of HC plays like nothing else that I've tried, and I've tried a lot of strings. HC works for me and my game, which is all that matters to me, so it's worth the price tag.

corners
02-25-2009, 03:48 AM
I have not tried hybrids yet with the HC. I think the main reason is that I do not want to go back to any poly hybrids, due to my previous issues with it, and I don't have any other cheap synthetics sitting around right now.

What I would suggest is to try some OG Micro or some PSG (original or Duraflex) in the mains and try putting the HC in the crosses.

Tony, a poster in a different thread said that Hollowcore didn't notch for him in a full setup. Has that been your experience as well? If so, do you reckon it would resist notching as a main in a hybrid?

Also, I've been planning to try a gut mains/silverstring or similar crosses setup at low tension for a while. I see that you've switched from just such a hybrid to full hollowcore.

Could you elaborate on your comparison of gut/copoly vs. hollowcore in terms of:

Power
String movement
Spin
Spin longevity (if spin relies on mains sliding on crosses, how long do the strings move freely before becoming roughened - I guess this is the time-dependent inverse of 'string movement')

SchreckTennis
02-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I'm very curious in regards to the dislike this string has been received by the members of TW. It seems that only a few posters on here have liked it.

Kinda reminds me of the multitude of poor reviews for Prince Recoil- I happened to like the string a lot, but I think new strings get too much hype and end up not playing to the game improving ideal that it gets hyped up for...so people end up giving it bad reviews.

TonyB
02-25-2009, 03:36 PM
No string gets a good review these days unless it's a soft poly. That's just the way it is.

Regarding the earlier question:

Power: gut/poly once it breaks in. However, by that time the poly is quite loose and control is an issue. The Hollow Core doesn't have that problem and requires no break-in period. HC power is more moderate and consistent, although lower.

String movement: HC moves quite a bit, especially if you string it loose in the crosses. Gut/poly hardly moves at all, but the gut mains get shredded by the poly crosses, so you have to use string savers. If you use string savers with HC, the string movement is less, but still there.

Spin: It's a tie. I really don't see any difference at all. I might say the HC produces more spin because you can swing faster and hit harder without having the ball sail on you.

Durability: I'd say the gut/poly will probably last longer if you use string savers, but the playability is gone much earlier than the HC. I can play with the HC right up until it breaks (maybe 2 months), but the gut/poly will go dead on me in a matter of a week or two.

The main reason I switched was that the gut/poly was hurting my wrist and elbow in my Vantage frames. I switched to HC and nothing hurts anymore.