PDA

View Full Version : Roddick Pulls out of Dubai: Disagrees w/ UAE's Peer ban

breadstick
02-21-2009, 02:19 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iBeL2KSe-HkOhBczFPcZy8wI3e5AD96FOML80

"Andy Roddick won't defend his title in Dubai next week because he doesn't agree with the United Arab Emirates' decision to deny Israeli Shahar Peer a visa to play in a women's tournament.

"There were a lot of factors why I should probably go, and obviously having played well there doesn't make it any easier," Roddick said after beating fellow American Sam Querrey 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 on Friday to reach the semifinals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships."

Good to see a player with a spine.

The draw for Dubai just keeps getting worse.

roddickfan90
02-21-2009, 02:29 AM
**** sake, hes gonna loose ranking points now

Sentinel
02-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Great of him to stand up like that!

pound cat
02-21-2009, 02:50 AM
The matter has been resolved by the WTA. Read the message board, Andy.

pound cat
02-21-2009, 03:28 AM
tennis channel will not be broadcasting Dubai!

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/19/tennis.channel.dubai/

Zaragoza
02-21-2009, 03:52 AM
I thought everybody knew it since Wednesday but anyway Memphis gives as many points as Dubai so not a big deal.

ohplease
02-21-2009, 03:55 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iBeL2KSe-HkOhBczFPcZy8wI3e5AD96FOML80

"Andy Roddick won't defend his title in Dubai next week because he doesn't agree with the United Arab Emirates' decision to deny Israeli Shahar Peer a visa to play in a women's tournament.

"There were a lot of factors why I should probably go, and obviously having played well there doesn't make it any easier," Roddick said after beating fellow American Sam Querrey 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 on Friday to reach the semifinals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships."

Good to see a player with a spine.

The draw for Dubai just keeps getting worse.

Good for him.

Jonnyf
02-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Good for Andy! I think it's great to see players stand up and supporting fellow professionals. I also find it pathetic that people despise Roddick to such an extent, that they try find a way of taking something out of this.

maximo
02-21-2009, 04:08 AM
And the winner of Dubai will be....

Murray!!

shanker
02-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Way to go Andy! After all, he is very patriaotic and now is apparently ready to take a stand for something really important.

HATS OFF TO MR. RODDICK!

csb
02-21-2009, 04:40 AM
First of all let me state i am not Jewish.
I applaud Roddick for what he is doing and quite honestly can't believe more players(especially the women from last week) didn't pull out also.
And to anyone who thinks the situation has been resolved because of the 300,000 fine i strongly disagree.
Do you know the story about the football team in the 1960's(Buffalo i think)
who turned down their schools first bowl game because if they went their African-American players would not be permitted to play. That was 40 years ago.

I'm not going to says who is right or wrong in the this Gaza mess because i honestly don't know. It does seem to me that there is an awful lot of anti-semitism going on right now though around the world though

People say American tennis is down right now probably so.
But say this about Roddick -he plays hard, never misses a Davis Cup(unlike many top players) and obviously stands up for what he believes in.

And to anyone who doesn't think this is a big deal how would you feel if you had a usta match next week and the club you were supposed to play at said you weren't welcome beacuase you were Asian, or Jewish or Muslim or whatever.

Telepatic
02-21-2009, 04:57 AM
First time I see something good from Roddick outside of court.

Thor
02-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Roddick is the man!

andyroddick1
02-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Well this shows two things.

1. Roddick not only cares about the women's tour but he cares about tennis overall. Its never good for a tournament when the defending champ pulls out and its especially not good when he pulls out for reasons other than injury. That says he dislikes the tourny which say the tourny has made some bad decisions.

2. The WTA girls have no pride or gut. They supposedly stick up for Peer but nobody does anything about it. Takes a guy who this doesn't affect at all to show what really sticking up for someone means.

gj011
02-21-2009, 05:22 AM
This was not necessary. Tournament is fined, Ram got his visa and Peer got her money and points.

Roddick is yet again pulling publicity stunt. He just didn't want to travel from Memphis to Dubai and then back to USA for DC.

pound cat
02-21-2009, 05:24 AM
This was not necessary. Tournament is fined, Ram got his visa and Peer got her money and points.

Roddick is yet again pulling publicity stunt.

You got it right

breadstick
02-21-2009, 05:25 AM

Interesting (I don't really follow the WTA tour)...

Maybe he's got an injury he doesn't want people knowing about or just wants the rest for Davis cup.

But that's just speculation. Funny if Roddick didn't know that it had been resolved and is now ****ed off that he said he wouldn't compete.

ace-nelis
02-21-2009, 05:29 AM
Man that tournament is going down the drain hard.
Almost everybody is out..

Nadal_Freak
02-21-2009, 05:43 AM

Roddick is yet again pulling publicity stunt. He just didn't want to travel from Memphis to Dubai and then back to USA for DC.
I just think he didn't want to get owned by Murray again. :D

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-21-2009, 05:44 AM

We do not agree on much, but here I see eye-to-eye with you.

jimwh
02-21-2009, 05:51 AM
I watched Roddick play Sam Querry last night in Memphis and I can tell you he looks as focused and determined as I have ever seen him. On the other side, he behaved like an absolute ***. My wife is as big a Roddick fan as there is, and she even started to root for Sam because Roddick was being such a jerk.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 06:01 AM
We do not agree on much, but here I see eye-to-eye with you.

surprsingly I agree. I don't know about publicity stunt, but it wasn't necessary to withdraw for that reason. Its an unfortunate situation for peer and so much hate, epecially towards dubai and the arab people, has come out of it and I hope the same thing doesn't happen again, but this is a bit too much.

tangerine
02-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Vamos Andy Roddick! It is not so surprising that of all the players it is Roddick who finally says something. He's always had a heavy pair of balls on him and a big mouth to go with it. The fact that he's defending Dubai champion makes it even more impressive. Roger's and Rafa's lack of leadership over this problem really disappointed me, but Roddick has saved the day! I knew why I was such a big fan of his. My respect for him grows by the day. :cool:

lol you must be new to tennis.

tahiti
02-21-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't think so. My opinion is definitely gonna change after this. He's losing a winner's points. That makes a statement that he believes in what he's doing for the "rightness" of it. And of course he's not a politician, he can't make statements outside of tennis.

Vamos Roddick!

jimwh
02-21-2009, 06:38 AM
gjo11, you got it 100% right. Andy figures he'll win Memphis, then rest until Davis Cup.

miyagi
02-21-2009, 06:43 AM
I do think there's a big difference here. Celebrities often do speak out on issues that have nothing to do with sports/film/music, others prefer to stay out of politics. This can be a good thing - Andy could speak out on global warming, genocide in Sudan, and any number of other issues. Or, he can decide his status as a top 10 tennis player doesn't qualify him as an activist. Both are fine.

Andy isn't taking sides in the Israel/Palistine conflict by pulling out of Dubai. All he is doing here is objecting to the denial of a visa to a tennis player on political grounds.

But I understand he is entitled to his opinion and respect it.

I did put this^^^^

Everyone deals with things differently, as I have said I respect his opinion. I just think in the grand scheme of things. Speaking out due to people living with no future and being effectively murdered is more important than someone not be allowed into Dubai.

But I do understand he is a tennis player but we can't always be concerned with things that only effect us directly otherwise as humans we would never resolve anything

Topaz
02-21-2009, 06:44 AM
The women did not find out about Peer's situation until they were already in Dubai, and I believe the qualifiers had already started. They played a week before the men, remember.

Yeah, they got fined...what? 300,000? For the Dubai tournament, that's chump change.

bjk
02-21-2009, 06:52 AM
I bet the top players are pulling out because Dubai isn't giving them big appearance bonuses . . . market is bad, oil collapsed, Dubai is in bad shape . . . probably not alot of cash to lavish on tennis players. Peer is just a convenient excuse to ditch a tournament in the desert half-way across the world.

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 06:57 AM
The matter has been resolved by the WTA. Read the message board, Andy.I knew Roddick was a little slow, but didn't know he couldn't read. Dumb move, Roddick.

goober
02-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Taking a public stand and not playing is better than just going a long with the program like all the WTA players are doing.

The field in Dubai is much weaker than last year when he won it, so the argument that he is scared to go there because he might lose is weak. Resting up for DC? Give me a break. He is going to play 2 matches. It is not a tournament. How much rest does he need more than usual?

GameSampras
02-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Is Roddick Republican? :)

Gorecki
02-21-2009, 07:13 AM
so the man has guts to talk about the most shameless behaviour ever by a event organization and you guys label him... _____ (fill the blanck with any insult released in the last posts)?

nice personalities here... lots of guys with caracther!

kungfusmkim
02-21-2009, 07:20 AM
WTA players cant afford to defend other player because they'll lose sponsors. They are already have an awful era after they lost henin. i dont think they need to lose any more value able belongings. Even if roddick stands up for Peer there is no down for him. Since his in the ATP tour not the WTA tour he doesnt need to worry about losing sponsors.

goober
02-21-2009, 07:23 AM
WTA players cant afford to defend other player because they'll lose sponsors. They are already have an awful era after they lost henin. i dont think they need to lose any more value able belongings. Even if roddick stands up for Peer there is no down for him. Since his in the ATP tour not the WTA tour he doesnt need to worry about losing sponsors.

Last time I checked there is a ATP tournament occurring in the Dubai this week. With Fed, Rafa and Roddick all out, you don't think that is going to affect sponsorship for the tournament in the future even in some small way?

saram
02-21-2009, 07:38 AM

And you know this because he told you this?

Andy did right and noble thing. Let's not downplay a great action by a great person. Hats off to Andy.

P_Agony
02-21-2009, 07:39 AM
And you know this because he told you this?

Andy did right and noble thing. Let's not downplay a great action by a great person. Hats off to Andy.

Agreed 100%.

leonidas1982
02-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Last time I checked there is a ATP tournament occurring in the Dubai this week. With Fed, Rafa and Roddick all out, you don't think that is going to affect sponsorship for the tournament in the future even in some small way?

Sponsors are sooner or later going to pull out of Dubai:

1) Their customers are livid with the blatant discrimination and the WTA's lack of a standard. Watch this trickle down to tv audiences who will lose interest as a result.

2) Although hardly covered by world financial news, the wealth in UAE is drying up. One thing I do respect about the UAE is that it has transformed its country from a desert, essentially, to modern buildings. Luckily, I was able to experience the before and after.

P_Agony
02-21-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way and I understand where you are coming from, but iI'm also sure people are hurt over the comments made about dubai and arab people in muslims in general. I guess the situation is just really complicated and it sucks.

Did I ever say anything bad about Arabs or Muslims in general? I don't remember I did and if I have said something I'm deeply sorry.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Did I ever say anything bad about Arabs or Muslims in general? I don't remember I did and if I have said something I'm deeply sorry.

lol not you, I didn't mean you. This entire situation has brought on more hate for both sides of the situation. I was just talking about in general. Anways I'm sorry about all the comments that have hurt you.

leonidas1982
02-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Hopefully, this unfortunate event will demonstrate why the men's tour should be wholly separated from the WTA.

oscar_2424
02-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I like Roddick's reaction, kudos to him.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Yes it sounds to me like Roddick found the perfect excuse, lol.
Is there going to be anyone left to play in this tournament now? Is Murray withdrawing too?

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Is there going to be anyone left to play in this tournament now? Is Murray withdrawing too?

I don't think so.

P_Agony
02-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Why would he want to lose all those points from last year? He's defending champion you know...

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Why would he want to lose all those points from last year? He's defending champion you know...
Didn't Roddick withdraw as soon as he learned the tournament would not be shown on American TV? (Just teasing...)

saram
02-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Maybe because it was the right thing to do?!

P_Agony
02-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Didn't Roddick withdraw as soon as he learned the tournament would not be shown on American TV? (Just teasing...)

I don't think that if Nadal would have withdrawn because of the Peer issue you'd question him, so I really don't understand why anyone would question Roddick, espcially since he has the most to lose by not showing up in Dubai.

P_Agony
02-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe because it was the right thing to do?!

Exactly! Tell that to veroniquem and Nadal's Freak.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't think that if Nadal would have withdrawn because of the Peer issue you'd question him, so I really don't understand why anyone would question Roddick, espcially since he has the most to lose by not showing up in Dubai.
I said I was teasing! Of course Roddick is entitled to his opinions. You have to expect people are gonna want to tease because Roddick's decision came after a sanction had already been determined and Ram was granted a visa, so the situation seems to be pretty much settled by now.

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Players are not required to play in any tournament. It is their choice. This is right. Roddick can just stay home. However, to boycott a tournament to which he applied, which advertised that he would be present, for which fans bought tickets, is crass disregard of minimal respect for his sport by a professional. He really shrank in my eyes down to a really stupid level.

So Any is not going to get fined Dubai got the fine. What part of this don't you understand? The part I don't understand is how people who know how to type can not tell the difference between not playing in a tournament, a la Federer and Nadal, and withdrawing in a huff for a very, very minor political scuffle between Israel and arabs.

Jim A
02-21-2009, 08:46 AM
People often ask professional athletes to vote with their dollars and not just send out a press release

Roddick has done just that, forfeited a nice appearance fee, will lose significant ranking points for not defending his title and any prize money that will go along with it.

Typically athletes/politics are kept separate, but when they mix like this a larger item than a fine is needed.

What I like about this is that Roddick isn't using an injury excuse or something else of the matter. He just put it out there plain and simple and let the chips fall where they may.

I understand that he can be an ***** on the court, but really has anyone forgotten about those people named Connors or McEnroe, purveyors of sportsmanship par excellence, had Roddick won another Slam or 2 he'd be known as a "competitor" or gritty, etc..because we love winners in the US.

P_Agony
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I said I was teasing! Of course Roddick is entitled to his opinions. You have to expect people are gonna want to tease because Roddick's decision came after a sanction had already been determined and Ram was granted a visa, so the situation seems to be pretty much settled by now.

I don't think it's settled, and I don't think Ram should go. I think he should have been the first to pull a Roddick and not show up, visa or not.

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 08:53 AM
I thought everybody knew it since Wednesday but anyway Memphis gives as many points as Dubai so not a big deal.Not exactly. Roddick was scheduled to play both Memphis and Dubai. He was not playing Memphis in place of Dubai. So he will simply lose 500 points unless he gets a WC in Acapulco.

SmAsH999
02-21-2009, 08:54 AM
publicity stunt or not, i am glad that he withdrew. politics and sports should never mix. ever.

Kaptain Karl
02-21-2009, 08:55 AM
<Mod Mode> This is NOT the thread to discuss the Israel / Gaza issue. Go to R&R if you want to do that. </Mod Mode>

- KK

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't think it's settled, and I don't think Ram should go. I think he should have been the first to pull a Roddick and not show up, visa or not.
I think you're too extreme about it. Give Dubai a chance, if they ever recidivate, then you'll have a point but they accepted the sanction and granted Ram's visa. I think spirits should calm down at this point.

Fedace
02-21-2009, 09:02 AM
So does this mean now that Novak will just Storm thru this tournament ? and tack on even more points ? UK never had player this good in history.

leonidas1982
02-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Not exactly. Roddick was scheduled to play both Memphis and Dubai. He was not playing Memphis in place of Dubai. So he will simply lose 500 points unless he gets a WC in Acapulco.

No he won't, since Dubai's drop date is March 9, 2009. Also, his results from Memphis last year have no bearing on his rankings. Do the math, Andy is doing just fine; the Memphis tournament will be used in lieu of Dubai.

leonidas1982
02-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Nice rebuttals: interestingly particular, and says quite a lot about you.

So, entertain me here; if the sponsors, worldwide spectators, customers, and TV audiences were not livid, why did UAE reverse course?

I do not have inside information; I do, however, have common sense and know how to read financials and analyze them. I'm not the first one to report on the drying wealth nor will I be the last.
Having said that, UAE has done a spot on job of, at the very least, establishing an infrastructure for its citizens. What they do beyond that is still a mystery. Some speculate a few of the overclass want to get into the entertainment industry -- this scenarios is tricky.

gj011
02-21-2009, 09:36 AM
And as I said in the other thread to you as well--how do you know this? Did Andy tell you this information first hand or are you just guessing here?

Don't downplay a great action by a great person. Hats off to Andy for doing the right thing.

Roddick is not a great and nice person. He is far from that. And after the matter has been resolved this action was quite unnecessary.

Cyan
02-21-2009, 09:38 AM
sad..........

goober
02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
This is right. Roddick can just stay home. However, to boycott a tournament to which he applied, which advertised that he would be present, for which fans bought tickets, is crass disregard of minimal respect for his sport by a professional. He really shrank in my eyes down to a really stupid level.

The part I don't understand is how people who know how to type can not tell the difference between not playing in a tournament, a la Federer and Nadal, and withdrawing in a huff for a very, very minor political scuffle between Israel and arabs.

Unless you don't follow tennis, people withdraw from tournaments literally every tournament. Often the claim is injury but many times that is not a case and is that is just a cover for whatever reason.

Yes I can tell the difference between what Nadal and Fed are doing and what Roddick is doing. What he is doing has nothing to do with "a minor political scuffle" it is the the refusal of a country to allow a player who has qualified for a tournament by ranking. Interesting he shrank in your eyes. My guess is you already didn't like him. I never thought too much of him either way, but I applaud him in his stand.

Chadwixx
02-21-2009, 09:45 AM
The matter has been resolved by the WTA. Read the message board, Andy.

300k to these guys is like $1 to me and you. The fine is a complete joke.

dParis
02-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't know about publicity stunt, but it wasn't necessary to withdraw for that reason. Its an unfortunate situation for peer and so much hate, epecially towards dubai and the arab people, has come out of it and I hope the same thing doesn't happen again, but this is a bit too much.

What is a bit too much? Not allowing Peer to participate in the tournament?

Roddick is pulling out of a tournament that he feels is conducting itself poorly. I don't think that's too much. It's kind of refreshing actually. It may be a publicity stunt, but why would he choose this situation?

MajinX
02-21-2009, 09:49 AM

wow are you a secret roddick stalker or his close friend? how do u know he IS doing a stunt and HE really didnt want to travel. sure its a far trip but hes done worst trips in his career.. these are tennis players who travel weekly across the world. Its a hassle but im sure they are used to most of it.

why cant you accept the possibility that he really did get mad at the incident and didnt want to go... after all alot of you on this board always say hes a jerk and brings up his quick anger towards umpires. is it that unreasonable he did the same here?

finky
02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
That sounds great in theory, but in the modern world sports bodies cannot be relied upon to demonstrate any moral leadership,whether this means giving the Olympics to China or allowing Dubai to be overtly racist.

Roddick has demonstrated admirable integrity . While everyone else fudges around the issue he has acted , at considerable expense to himself.

Perhaps you recall the Williams sisters outrage at their treatment in a tourney, was it Indian Wells, where they were simply booed, put it down to racism and didn't play there again? Their hypocrisy in playing Dubai is astonishing.

So I applaud Andy Roddick,and while he can be an *** on court , he is showing leadership off it.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 09:53 AM
As I said before give Dubai a chance to rectify their behavior. They've been warned, they know they will be under scrutiny in the future, let's see what happens. I'm glad you're not in charge of the US judiciary system. It seems that with you the "3 strike" rule would become 1 strike and it's life sentence! (answer to Chadwixx)

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 09:54 AM
What is a bit too much? Not allowing Peer to participate in the tournament?

Roddick is pulling out of a tournament that he feels is conducting itself poorly. I don't think that's too much. It's kind of refreshing actually. It may be a publicity stunt, but why would he choose this situation?

I don't think its a publicity stunt and I don't know why people would think that and I respect roddick were standing up against the situation, but I just think it not necessary since it seems to be resolved, well sort of I suppose.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 09:55 AM
As I said before give them a chance to rectify their behavior. They've been warned, they know they will be under scrutiny in the future, let's see what happens. I'm glad you're not in charge of the US judiciary system. It seems that with you the "3 strike" rule would become 1 strike and it's life sentence!

I agree with you. This situation sucked and hopefully everything will workout for next year.

soyizgood
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
You do realize Roddick's pal Mardy Fish is married to a Jewish woman. In fact, Roddick was on the phone with Fish's father-in-law after the SJ final. I know as I was talking with Fish's father-in-law about that match a few days ago.

finky
02-21-2009, 09:59 AM
AR boycotting adds weight to the punishment, next year he can re-consider.Nothing is definitive and nothing is '1 strike'.
However, in this case gestures speak louder than fines.He understands that he has 'star power' and he is using it.

We do inhabit a celebrity dominated world, and its good to see it being put to good use.

Okazaki Fragment
02-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Dubai just lost Roddick, Nadal and Federer within the span of a week. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Dubai just lost Roddick, Nadal and Federer within the span of a week. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.
and verdasco and apparently davydenko.

Okazaki Fragment
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
This is right. Roddick can just stay home. However, to boycott a tournament to which he applied, which advertised that he would be present, for which fans bought tickets, is crass disregard of minimal respect for his sport by a professional. He really shrank in my eyes down to a really stupid level.

No stupid would be to deny a professional tennis player a visa just because she's from a country you hate.

Kudos to Roddick.

Okazaki Fragment
02-21-2009, 10:07 AM
and verdasco and apparently davydenko.

Ha, no kidding. Couldn't have happened to nicer people. Glad to see Dubai getting its just deserts.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Sorry everybody is entitled to their opinion and many have made public critical statements besides Roddick. These are adults not children that blindly go where they are told. To say they should just shut up and play is laughable. The ATP and WTA are not the lone voices in tennis from which there is no dissent.

In 1973, 83 players boycotted Wimbledon to protest the suspension of Yugoslovian player Nikki Pilic, who was banned for not playing Davis Cup for his country.

Hmm I guess players back then had more fortitude in those days. Now it is all about "me" and the money. Don't rock the boat. Just let big brother ATP handle everything. What a joke.
Your example goes against your point actually, "83 players": that is a collective action and it carries weight, 1 player on the other hand...awkward....

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Ha, no kidding. Couldn't have happened to nicer people. Glad to see Dubai getting its just deserts.

why do I have a feeling you disliked dubai before all of this happened?

goober
02-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Your example goes against your point actually, "83 players": that is a collective action and it carries weight, 1 player on the other hand...awkward....

So players are only allowed to make statements or pull out of tournaments if their is collective action-lol? What percent does 83 players actually constitute out of the ATP players at the time? Less than 10%? Is that truly collective action? Did the ATP support their actions? I doubt it. The guy I was quoting would have argued that those players should not have boycotted and let the ATP handle it.

Okazaki Fragment
02-21-2009, 10:16 AM
why do I have a feeling you disliked dubai before all of this happened?

I must be celebrating their self-inflicted misfortune too much if I'm giving off that impression.

380pistol
02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Just read about it, and have a higher level of respect for Roddick.

finky
02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
AR's actions are made all the more effective because they are solitary. It throws the behaviour of others into stark relief.

Acting on one's own makes others look weak and selfish....and perhaps his fellow pros are.

Chadwixx
02-21-2009, 10:25 AM
As I said before give Dubai a chance to rectify their behavior. They've been warned, they know they will be under scrutiny in the future, let's see what happens. I'm glad you're not in charge of the US judiciary system. It seems that with you the "3 strike" rule would become 1 strike and it's life sentence! (answer to Chadwixx)

Do you actually think they are going to start letting israeli's in there because of this fine? LOL

Nothing is going to change, they will drop the tournament before they drop their beliefs.

No idea what your talking about with 3strikes and the american judicial system. Nice little rant though :)

DarthFed
02-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Props to Andy...he does something morally correct, and respectable...something a role model should do..

What happens? he gets ripped and called out for it....good lord...all the Andy hate makes me like him more as a player and a person

gj011
02-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Do you actually think they are going to start letting israeli's in there because of this fine? LOL

Nothing is going to change, they will drop the tournament before they drop their beliefs.

No idea what your talking about with 3strikes and the american judicial system. Nice little rant though :)

What are you talking about? They already started letting players from Israel in, since Andy Ram got his visa for the same tournament Roddick is boycotting. More reasons why Roddick's action is unnecessary and is not smart and "noble" act.

MajinX
02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Still they were a group, that gave them some impact. My argument is that Roddick's action is too isolated for his own good even though perfectly within his rights.

thats a poor argument, if everyone thinks like that then all individuals wouldnt stand up unless another stood up with him, u fight for what u believe alone or with another, just because it may not work if u do it alone doesnt mean u dont even try and give up, imagine all those in other poorer countries where ppl cant even stand by themselves because they will get sliced up by the government, we in america, canada and he like should be feel lucky we can do someting like this.

JankovicFan
02-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I believe this will or should cost Roddick a bagel, no substitutes, for cancelling a tournament commitment without an injury, bereavement or other acceptable reason. He fails to defend 500 points and cannot later substitute results from another 500 level tournament. Let's hope he's happy.

2008 rules would have meant a $40,000 fine for failing to honor a 500 series commitment (formerly International Series Gold). Without fines in 2009, Roddick suffers a loss in ranking points instead, including the penalty that he cannot substitute another tournament's results for an imposed (0). He loses 500 points with no opportunity to recover them. Meanwhile, those who claimed injury without any medical report requirement get off free. Roddick hurt himself while making his political statement.

RoddickAce
02-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you Andy, once again, for reminding me why I'm your fan. Good on you.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I believe this will or should cost Roddick a bagel, no substitutes, for cancelling a tournament commitment without an injury, bereavement or other acceptable reason. He fails to defend 500 points and cannot later substitute results from another 500 level tournament. Let's hope he's happy.

2008 rules would have meant a $40,000 fine for failing to honor a 500 series commitment (formerly International Series Gold). Without fines in 2009, Roddick suffers a loss in ranking points instead, including the penalty that he cannot substitute another tournament's results for an imposed (0). He loses 500 points with no opportunity to recover them. Meanwhile, those who cliamed injury without any medical report requirement get off free. Roddick hurt himself while making his political statement.

I think roddick knows that he did hurt himself with ranking points, yet he is withdrawing anyway for something he felt was very wrong and thats admirable.

MajinX
02-21-2009, 11:10 AM

2008 rules would have meant a $40,000 fine for failing to honor a 500 series commitment (formerly International Series Gold). Without fines in 2009, Roddick suffers a loss in ranking points instead, including the penalty that he cannot substitute another tournament's results for an imposed (0). He loses 500 points with no opportunity to recover them. Meanwhile, those who claimed injury without any medical report requirement get off free. Roddick hurt himself while making his political statement.

isnt that the point of the thread??? because hes gonna sacrifice that to make his statement heard..... what were u arguing about this whole time then.

Commando Tennis Shorts
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
For those of you who think that this is just a publicity stunt by Roddick, that the situation has already been "resolved", what a bunch of BS.

Just because they decided to give Peer some money and some points DOES NOT mean this has been resolved. I'm sure she would much rather be over there playing.

See, there are these things called dignity and integrity, things that can't be bought which are much more important that a few points and some money.

I know this might be difficult for younger generations to grasp, but I grew up in a time period where everything couldn't be fixed by money and an apology, where people weren't afraid to stand up against such ugliness.

And leave it to the people of this board to try to turn something honorable into a selfish act. How ugly of many of you to do so. Roddick's taking a hit in points and missing a big tournament on principle. He should be commended, not berated.

As far as the tournament and the WTA go...
"Resolved"?

Not by a long shot.

saram
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
For those of you who think that this is just a publicity stunt by Roddick, that the situation has already been "resolved", what a bunch of BS.

Just because they decided to give Peer some money and some points DOES NOT mean this has been resolved. I'm sure she would much rather be over there playing.

See, there are these things called dignity and integrity, things that can't be bought which are much more important that a few points and some money.

I know this might be difficult for younger generations to grasp, but I grew up in a time period where everything couldn't be fixed by money and an apology, where people weren't afraid to stand up against such ugliness.

And leave it to the people of this board to try to turn something honorable into a selfish act. How ugly of many of you to do so. Roddick's taking a hit in points and missing a big tournament on principle. He should be commended, not berated.

"Resolved"?

Not by a long shot.

One of the best posts in this thread thus far. Well said.

fastdunn
02-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Could it been less controversial if Roddick answered "no comment" on question of why he decided not to defend his title at Dubai ?

saram
02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Could it been less controversial if Roddick answered "no comment" on question of why he decided not to defend his title at Dubai ?

I am glad he didn't answer as you suggest. Showing that he actually has some spine and won't run from anything. Like he said in his press conference following his thumping at the AO at the hands of the Fed in 08..."My father didn't teach me to run from anything".

tahiti
02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Andy did the right thing.
But please nothing of this nonsense about leadership from Rafa and Roger.:evil: They both do that and well........They are both on the representative board for the players. And btw neither of them are going to Dubai either. We can all speculate about the real reasons why but none of us really know and we should keep that in perspective shouldn't we?:confused:

dtrain
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Roddick did the right thing speaking out even if he might have other reasons. He spoke his mind. He said something where tennis's two biggest stars withdrew with injuries and said nothing.

Fee
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Then you haven't been paying attention (but that's okay, I don't know much about what most players do off court).

I knew Roddick was a little slow, but didn't know he couldn't read. Dumb move, Roddick.

He can read...

Actually, Roddick withdrew either late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning US time via playerzone. The story broke that Ram was given a visa Thursday morning, so the visa and the fine levied by the WTA on Friday had NO AFFECT on his decision. As far as I can tell, Andy didn't even wait for Justin to get off the plane in Dubai and give him an update, he had already made his decision (and it was probably kick started when he learned that Federer was withdrawing from the Davis Cup tie which greatly improved the US chances to win that tie and move on to the next round).

Not exactly. Roddick was scheduled to play both Memphis and Dubai. He was not playing Memphis in place of Dubai. So he will simply lose 500 points unless he gets a WC in Acapulco.

You cannot take a wildcard into a tournament because you've withdrawn from another tournament that same week.

I think roddick knows that he did hurt himself with ranking points, yet he is withdrawing anyway for something he felt was very wrong and thats admirable.

Although Andy will probably lose the chance to earn back those 500 points, I sincerely doubt he will be fined for withdrawing from Dubai.

I do not think this was a political statement for Andy, he's not trying to get involved in the relationship between two countries, or even in the relationship between a tournament and the ATP/WTA. He's simply saying that a player was not treated according to the rules and he thought it was wrong.

JankovicFan
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
isnt that the point of the thread??? because hes gonna sacrifice that to make his statement heard..... what were u arguing about this whole time then.
The thread is defined and controlled by the original post (OP), which says nothing about ranking point losses or actual penalty for Roddick. The linked article doesn't mention these either.

Understand that his situation is worse than if he had simply failed to defend his championship. He's now as many as 1000 points behind instead of 500, because he is not allowed to make it up substituting results from another tournament or from Davis Cup. Aside from the immediate loss of 500 points after failing to defend entirely, this will show in his year end ranking, as other players are gaining points from the last 500 level tournament (or possibly Davis Cup). It doesn't matter if he plays (6) of the 500 series and all of Davis Cup, they will still only count (3), not (4) tournament results. You cannot just fail to show up.

That is why Roddick needed to stand back and wait for the ATP position applicable to all players.

In short, he's being a chump, who violated his own statement from the article,

"I don't think you make political statements through sports," Roddick said.

Fee
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
The thread is defined and controlled by the original post (OP), which says nothing about ranking point losses or actual penalty for Roddick. The linked article doesn't mention these either.

Understand that his situation is worse than if he had simply failed to defend his championship. He's now as many as 1000 points behind instead of 500, because he is not allowed to make it up substituting results from another tournament or from Davis Cup. Aside from the immediate loss of 500 points after failing to defend entirely, this will show in his year end ranking, as other players are gaining points from the last 500 level tournament (or possibly Davis Cup). It doesn't matter if he plays (6) of the 500 series and all of Davis Cup, they will still only count (3), not (4) tournament results. You cannot just fail to show up.

That is why Roddick needed to stand back and wait for the ATP position applicable to all players.

Or maybe he was just willing to withdraw from the event knowing full well exactly what the consequences were. He's not stupid, the people around him aren't stupid. He's taking a rankings hit, he knows it, obviously he's not that concerned about it.

FYI, there was no ATP position applicable to all players. They haven't said a thing publicly except that the tournament will go on. The players are free to do what they choose.

RoddickAce
02-21-2009, 12:08 PM

But he's not making a political statement, he making a statement AGAINST making political statements. Say the UAE and the US don;t like each other. IF Roddick pulled out because of that, then that would be a political statement.

tacou
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
wow a lot of you are very cynical. if Roddick were pulling out for any other reason, why would he make up this lie?

some of you can say 300k fine/Andy Ram getting a visa makes it all better, but it's the year 2009. things like this should not happen, if you are hosting a tournament for a world-wide support you have to let everyone play. that's all.

I'd do the same thing as Roddick.

gj011
02-21-2009, 12:28 PM
k so if Novak was not allowed to play Indian Wells/Miami because he's a Serb, then the USTA gets fined 300k, you'd be satisfied and everything would be good again?

Yes I would be ****ed of course, but if situation was handled the same, I.E. USTA is warned by ATP or WTA and it was made clear to them that thing like that was never to happen again or tournament would be canceled in the future, Jankovic and Ivanovic were allowed to play after, and if he was awarded appropriate amount of points and money compensation like Peer was, I would be satisfied.

Anyway I am glad you mentioned this since there are several people here who were calling for exactly what you mentioned, banning Djokovic from playing USO because he is a Serb. I doubt it would be made such a big deal like this if that really happened. Also I doubt Roddick would boycott IW, Miami or USO in that case.

Toxicmilk
02-21-2009, 01:19 PM

"Resolved"?

Not by a long shot.

I know saram already did this. but seriously

qft.

people are just looking for any reason to beat down on roddick. pfft.

tacou
02-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't know what Roddick would do, you're probably right, and I'm no Novak fan but I would completely support any boycott of the tournaments. I just feel like this sort of thing has no place in sports-- Peer is probably happy with her points and money but I'm sure she would have liked to earn them.

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
No he won't, since Dubai's drop date is March 9, 2009. Also, his results from Memphis last year have no bearing on his rankings. Do the math, Andy is doing just fine; the Memphis tournament will be used in lieu of Dubai.Yah, you are right, kinda. He will come out even but in the larger picture, he will gain no additional points that he might have earned in Dubai, while he is at home parading around with a protest sign.

Fee
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
But please nothing of this nonsense about leadership from Rafa and Roger.:evil: They both do that and well........They are both on the representative board for the players. And btw neither of them are going to Dubai either. We can all speculate about the real reasons why but none of us really know and we should keep that in perspective shouldn't we?:confused:

Federer is in Dubai getting rehab on his back. He lives there part of the year. He was never going to say anything about this situation.

NamRanger
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes I would be ****ed of course, but if situation was handled the same, I.E. USTA is warned by ATP or WTA and it was made clear to them that thing like that was never to happen again or tournament would be canceled in the future, Jankovic and Ivanovic were allowed to play after, and if he was awarded appropriate amount of points and money compensation like Peer was, I would be satisfied.

Anyway I am glad you mentioned this since there are several people here who were calling for exactly what you mentioned, banning Djokovic from playing USO because he is a Serb. I doubt it would be made such a big deal like this if that really happened. Also I doubt Roddick would boycott IW, Miami or USO in that case.

No one has said Djokovic should be banned from the USO for being a Serb. No one.

And yes, it would be a tremendously huge deal if Djokovic was banned from playing at the USO. For one, he is world #3. And two, the U.S. and Serbia are not exactly on good terms.

Three, Roddick did not do this for a publicity stunt. He gets plenty of publicity in the U.S. and around the world already. If anything, this move could hurt his public image. However, he is doing what he believes is right. Whether or not you agree is irrelevant. Roddick is taking a fairly big risk ranking and public image wise, to stick up for another player vocally. Roddick has very little to gain, and a whole lot to lose.

I think that's admirable. I'm sure if we replaced Peer with Jankovic and Roddick with Djokovic, you'd be singing a different tune.

Mick
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
i hope peer would send roddick a thank you card for standing up for her :)

zagor
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Props to Roddick,nice move on his part.

No one has said Djokovic should be banned from the USO for being a Serb. No one.

And yes, it would be a tremendously huge deal if Djokovic was banned from playing at the USO. For one, he is world #3. And two, the U.S. and Serbia are not exactly on good terms.

Three, Roddick did not do this for a publicity stunt. He gets plenty of publicity in the U.S. and around the world already. If anything, this move could hurt his public image. However, he is doing what he believes is right. Whether or not you agree is irrelevant. Roddick is taking a fairly big risk ranking and public image wise, to stick up for another player vocally. Roddick has very little to gain, and a whole lot to lose.

I think that's admirable. I'm sure if we replaced Peer with Jankovic and Roddick with Djokovic, you'd be singing a different tune.

It was said Namranger,I think by that guy "nikdom" although he changed his attitude towards Novak after a while and wasn't so hateful towards him anymore.The guy isn't a member here anymore so not that relevant.

Fee
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
It was said Namranger,I think by that guy "nikdom" although he changed his attitude towards Novak after a while and wasn't so hateful towards him anymore.The guy isn't a member here anymore so not that relevant.

Well that's just plain silly. Novak is a player, not an elected official. People forget that tennis players spend most of the year playing for themselves, NOT for their country. It's not like the national baseball or hockey team or even gymnasts, these are individual athletes like golfers.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I certainly hope they wouldn't lie as to why they didn't attend the tournament. That would be very hypocritical and not commendable at all.

leonidas1982
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
an odd week, this. I lost respect for Venus and gained for Roddick -- even though I think his on-court antics are unnecessary as he comes off looking like a petulant child.

ksbh
02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Much respect to Andy Roddick for this brave and noble move.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Good for Roddick. We already know that he has brains.

What is important is that players remain vocal. While Venus Williams did go to Dubai (let's keep in mind that women had less time to think this over with the event a week earlier), she made a quite effective speech at the trophy ceremony. Now she has to follow through on her words.

Players have to be vocal. Either they don't go or they go and make their dissapproval very clear.

What are the reasons for going? Well, for some players there may be some good ones. Guys have contracts, incentives, sponsors - in general, a lot of people relying on them. It is not always easy to cancel at the last minute.

The worst thing is doing nothing. From what I've seen and heard so far - Federer and Nadal both have done nothing. Looks bad on them.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 03:15 PM
As I said on the other thread.

This was not necessary. The tournament is fined, Ram got his visa and Peer got her money and points.

Shame on you. The individual cannot expect the system to do everything for him.

This kind of passive attitude will change nothing. You think that Dubai getting fined will dissuade them?

Absolutely not. This is chump change for them.

We all know that they won't lose fans over this. This is all in the hands of the players. They have the power here.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 03:17 PM

We're not talking about the #30 player in the world declining to go.

We're talking about the stars. At least the ones in the top-10 have to do something.

They can a) not go; b) go and make themselves heard!

Enlightened Coelacanth
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Roddick's stock goes up considerably with me, for what that's worth. Frankly, he's never been a favorite of mine but this puts him in another light. Good for Andy.
If only there were more like him. Like in the WTA.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Boo, Roddick. Boo! Bad move to get involved in a political intrigue.

try once forgetting that you hate roddick because of his oncourt antics and then perhaps you can see what roddick did was admirable.

DarthFed
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
try once forgetting that you hate roddick because of his hardcourt antics and then perhaps you can see what what roddick did was admirable.
2nd'd
10 char

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
try once forgetting that you hate roddick because of his hardcourt antics and then perhaps you can see what what roddick did was admirable.I never hated Roddick until now. He has no business getting involved in political issues. This is bad for tennis and I don't think its over yet. Already there are repercussions as the media joins in to cancel coverage of Dubai. What next? And who do you think will suffer? The fans, thats who.

Okazaki Fragment
02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
try once forgetting that you hate roddick because of his oncourt antics and then perhaps you can see what roddick did was admirable.

In his defense, he's more pro-Dubai than anti-Roddick.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I never hated Roddick until now. He has no business getting involved in political issues. This is bad for tennis and I don't think its over yet. Already there are repercussions as the media joins in to cancel coverage of Dubai. What next? And who do you think will suffer? The fans, thats who.

wow, so you hate a person for taking a stand. What do you mean by he has no business? So because he is just a tennis player, he has no say in anything. I mentioned earlier that I thought it was perhaps not necessary, but he has every right to do what he wants. Someone mentioned earlier that roddick is making a political statement, but just standing up for another fellow tennis player who was unjustly denied a visa.

saram
02-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Does that mean we need to send him some cookies? :twisted:

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 03:47 PM

I don't think the tournament should be canceled and I'm certainly not anti dubai or anything, but I commend andy for what he did.

Fee
02-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Boo, Roddick. Boo! Bad move to get involved in a political intrigue.

I don't see him getting involved in 'political intrigue'. This still isn't about politics, despite your week long attempts to paint it that way, this is about the WTA and ATP rulebook.

The WTA was a bit late, but it looks like they are taking steps to enforce their rulebook for next year and they deserve credit for that (for those who missed it, the Dubai event has to post a 2 million dollar bond to ensure that Peer gets in next year and grant her visa 8 weeks before the event).

The ATP flew the CEO, a board member and other reps there to make sure Ram got in, ACCORDING TO THE RULE BOOK. Neither the ATP nor the WTA has tried to influence the relationship between the UAE and Israel, nor do they care to do so. Their only concern was that the tournament follow the rules that it agreed to (and thumbed last year when Erlich/Ram tried to get in) and let ALL of the players play. Mission accomplished (mostly).

saram
02-21-2009, 03:49 PM
The WTA was a bit late, but it looks like they are taking steps to enforce their rulebook for next year and they deserve credit for that (for those who missed it, the Dubai event has to post a 2 million dollar bond to ensure that Peer gets in next year and grant her visa 8 weeks before the event).

(mostly).

WOW! I sure missed that part!

FD3S
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Good on Roddick. It's a damn shame that some people let the (admittedly boorish) crap he sometimes pulls on court taint the good he does off it.

Of course, these are the same people that would probably find some way to bash him if he saved a baby from being hit by a car, but whatever.

king of swing
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
im impressed with andy. Andy Roddick isnt the first person in tennis you think of to stand up for moral principles. Im very proud of him, deffinitly respect him more

Fee
02-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Good on Roddick. It's a damn shame that some people let the (admittedly boorish) crap he sometimes pulls on court taint the good he does off it.

Of course, these are the same people that would probably find some way to bash him if he saved a baby from being hit by a car, but whatever.

If Andy ever walked on water he would be ridiculed for not knowing how to swim.

Staiger
02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Roddick -total legend ! It would be nice if I he can just flatten his forehand and turn that into his weapon on the court.. who told him to add that extra 20%topspin onto his shots

saram
02-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Roddick -total legend ! It would be nice if I he can just flatten his forehand and turn that into his weapon on the court.. who told him to add that extra 20%topspin onto his shots

His forehand looked good today--and so did Hewitt. Great match.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
I never hated Roddick until now. He has no business getting involved in political issues. This is bad for tennis and I don't think its over yet. Already there are repercussions as the media joins in to cancel coverage of Dubai. What next? And who do you think will suffer? The fans, thats who.

This is like saying that citizens have no right to vote. Dumb. Worse than dumb.

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 04:04 PM
wow, so you hate a person for taking a stand. What do you mean by he has no business? So because he is just a tennis player, he has no say in anything. I mentioned earlier that I thought it was perhaps not necessary, but he has every right to do what he wants. Someone mentioned earlier that roddick is making a political statement, but just standing up for another fellow tennis player who was unjustly denied a visa.I think walking out of a tournament with a public statement critical of the politics of a country is a lot more than what any athlete should be doing. IMO

VivalaVida
02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Ah good for roddick that he pulled out. Now Murray doesnt have to go Doha on his *** again

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks. I am not pro anything other than preservation of the game of tennis. This is probably the worst event in over 100 years of tennis and I am ashamed that an American is taking part in it.

leonidas1982
02-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm not naive about what happens in the big ugly world, but this is tennis, not International Relations. This is about the rulebook, not UN diplomacy. Yes many people like you got distracted by the bigger picture, but that was their choice (and possibly bias). Again, the WTA and ATP never ever made this about world politics, they made it about a tournament not adhereing to its contract and the rulebook. It really is that simple.

So far, this has turned out to be great for tennis and great for the ATP. It was great for the WTA to finally get its board together and show some leadership as well. My fingers are crossed that Andy lands safely in Dubai on Sunday, that tennis takes center stage as it should, and that the event goes off smoothly. Since so many of the people who attend this tournament are expats and tourists, it should be just fine. Andy Ram will be kept off the center stage so as not to offend the box ticket holders, I'm sure.

I don't know who has truly threatened you for having opinion, and I'm sorry if that has really happened. It's silly and completely unnecessary.

some people just don't want to accept it for what it is: "a violation of the rules". If rules are violated in a sport like tennis, where players, tournaments, and sponsors, are dependent on each other, there will be chaos. This was a prime example; so was the cancellation of one of the premier clay court tournaments for the WTA -- it almost wrecked their clay season.

Topaz
02-21-2009, 04:19 PM
He's in the Memphis final...and now that he is, it would be impossible for him to be in Dubai for his first round match....if he hadn't withdrawn.

Fee
02-21-2009, 04:21 PM
He's in the Memphis final...and now that he is, it would be impossible for him to be in Dubai for his first round match....if he hadn't withdrawn.

He could have played it Wednesday if necessary. He used to do that in San Jose, it just means playing five days in a row if you keep winning. :)

Fee
02-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Sure; he sent them a copy of his press release. So what?

Objection! Assuming facts not in evidence.

Where is this press release? All I've seen is a simple sentence that was spoken during his post match press conference after he defeated Querrey in Memphis on Friday. That's it.

Okazaki Fragment
02-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't consider this sort of thing "minor" at all, and it's too bad Dubai knocked over the first domino in this chain reaction but like it or not, it's important to oppose such
a move so it doesn't happen again.

Yes, Roddick isn't making a political statement like Dubai, he is responding to a polticial statement.

Leublu tennis
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Objection! Assuming facts not in evidence.

Where is this press release? All I've seen is a simple sentence that was spoken during his post match press conference after he defeated Querrey in Memphis on Friday. That's it. Ooops. Sorry about that. I didn't read the article in the first post. And assumed it was based on a press release. But ........ now that I have read it, here is what I noted:

"The mixing of politics and sports was a big part of Roddick's decision to pull out of Dubai where he won his second of three titles in 2008."

Wow. Your hero said that not I. Now is Roddick's position closer to my side or yours, fee?

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Ha ha I thought everyone knew about it! The "3 strikes" is a Californian law according to which a person gets a longer time in jail after 2 offenses.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, Roddick isn't making a political statement like Dubai, he is responding to a polticial statement.

So simple and so true.

Dubai is politicizing tennis. Roddick rejects this and yet some accuse him of politicizing things.

Dumb.

JankovicFan
02-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Wow! The Roddick spin doctors are busy little people here. Agreeing with Andy's action is one thing, but lame excuses are something different.

I am left with one question. If someone wants to grasp the excuse that Roddick could not make it to his first match in Dubai, following his final in Memphis, why did he instead give the political reason for withdrawing?

Dubai is 8 hours ahead of Memphis, so yeah, that does make it a rushed trip. But Roddick owns what was Sampras's private jet and can get to Atlanta or Charlotte in a 20 minute cannon shot. From there he's on an international flight headed for Dubai by some hopefully efficient route. These guys don't all play early in the day and perhaps not all on the first day. Dubai could cooperate on scheduling for players coming in from other finals.

Roddick could have gotten back to Memphis for Davis Cup using a similar strategy. It had to be possible, or he would never have scheduled it and made the commitment in the first place. The difference with Davis Cup though is that it starts later in the week, no sweat.

Fee
02-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Ooops. Sorry about that. I didn't read the article in the first post. And assumed it was based on a press release. But ........ now that I have read it, here is what I noted:

"The mixing of politics and sports was a big part of Roddick's decision to pull out of Dubai where he won his second of three titles in 2008."

Wow. Your hero said that not I. Now is Roddick's position closer to my side or yours, fee?

Andy Roddick is not my hero, he's just a tennis player. It's just not even worth the energy to respond to you anymore.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Andy Roddick is not my hero, he's just a tennis player.

The article is obviously referring to Dubai's mixing of politics and sports, not Roddick's.

Leublu fails basic logic and reading skills to boot.

gj011
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Shame on you. The individual cannot expect the system to do everything for him.

This kind of passive attitude will change nothing. You think that Dubai getting fined will dissuade them?

Absolutely not. This is chump change for them.

We all know that they won't lose fans over this. This is all in the hands of the players. They have the power here.

Obviously it dissuaded them since they are letting Ram playing in the tournament now.

CyBorg
02-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Obviously it dissuaded them since they are letting Ram playing in the tournament now.

They haven't changed their tune on Peer.

gj011
02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
They haven't changed their tune on Peer.

Well it is too late now since the WTA tournament is finished. I am disgusted by Dubai oranizers for doing this as well, I just think what Roddick did wasn't really necessary since the issue is kind of resolved now.

Also it would be difficult for him to be in Dubai on time after Memphis final anyway, and right after he needs to go back to US for DC, so it is actually very convenient for him to skip Dubai and he already got points from Memphis. I am sure he will play 3 more 500 series tournament during this year. So he really does not lose much doing this.

federerdomination
02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow! The Roddick spin doctors are busy little people here. Agreeing with Andy's action is one thing, but lame excuses are something different.

I am left with one question. If someone wants to grasp the excuse that Roddick could not make it to his first match in Dubai, following his final in Memphis, why did he instead give the political reason for withdrawing?

Dubai is 8 hours ahead of Memphis, so yeah, that does make it a rushed trip. But Roddick owns what was Sampras's private jet and can get to Atlanta or Charlotte in a 20 minute cannon shot. From there he's on an international flight headed for Dubai by some hopefully efficient route. These guys don't all play early in the day and perhaps not all on the first day. Dubai could cooperate on scheduling for players coming in from other finals.

Roddick could have gotten back to Memphis for Davis Cup using a similar strategy. It had to be possible, or he would never have scheduled it and made the commitment in the first place. The difference with Davis Cup though is that it starts later in the week, no sweat.

Really? wow

10sfreak
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree with the posters here who are praising Andy Roddick for the stance he's taken re Peer. Kudos to Andy!

Arbartrator
02-21-2009, 10:39 PM
How much points does he lose if Roddick isin't there to defend his title?

RoddickAce
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM

Exactly, like i said before he isn't making a political statement, he's making a statement against making political statements.

MajinX
02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
How much points does he lose if Roddick isin't there to defend his title?

600 because dubai was worth more before this year.

saram
02-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Exactly, like i said before he isn't making a political statement, he's making a statement against making political statements.

Precisely. Well said.

tahiti
02-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Well I hope Roddick wins against Stepanek today then he gets 500 points and if he loses the 600 from Dubai it's only 100 that he has to really lose .

Being the title holder and that he mentions in the press why he's not attending is surely a strong enough statement to Dubai. Dynamite comes in small packages :) Collective or single action it's still a blow.

tahiti
02-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I read in the papers early last week that media coverage was being hampered. Long before Roddick made his statment. The fans will still get their tennis, but the stage is looking less lively.

chrisdaniel
02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Two things I've noticed about Roddick. He is a really good loser, he is kinda a sour winner. Not sure what that has to do with this....But, I think he is a good guy, and this was refreshing to see him take a stand. Regardless of his reasoning.

dandaman
02-22-2009, 01:58 AM
I think it's great what Roddick is doing. Yes it might be convenient after Memphis and so on. But still, it takes a lot of guts making it official. A lot of other players would have just said that they are injured and skipped the tourny.

JankovicFan
02-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Well I hope Roddick wins against Stepanek today then he gets 500 points and if he loses the 600 from Dubai it's only 100 that he has to really lose .

Being the title holder and that he mentions in the press why he's not attending is surely a strong enough statement to Dubai. Dynamite comes in small packages :) Collective or single action it's still a blow.I believe it will be more points than that by the end of the year, when Roddick's competition can count (4) of the 500 series results, while he can only count (3), locked in on a bagel for Dubai, no substitute results from other tournaments. It is hard to be sure, because the 2009 Rule book has not been published yet. The 2008 rule book came out in March of last year, so we should see something soon. I don't get how they can run tournaments and play for a couple months without written rules in hand. If all the operatives have draft copies, no one seems to be mentioning it.

Lindsay
02-22-2009, 05:12 AM
I think its shady of Venus and Serena to not take a stand. As 2 players who felt they were discriminated against by Indian Wells, they should be willing to voice their anger over another player being discriminated against.

And I also think its wrong for Andy Ram to decide to play. Why isn't he supporting his country-woman?

JankovicFan
02-22-2009, 05:42 AM
Just for the record, Roddick was a Memphis finalist in 2007 (http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?tournamentID=402&tournamentyear=2007) and did not play in Dubai immediately afterward. (http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?tournamentID=495&tournamentyear=2007) In 2008, Andy was a QF at Memphis and went on to play and win at Dubai. Then, to say that time does not allow being a finalist at Memphis and participating in first round play at Dubai is consistent with previous years. The catch is whether the excuse for travel time was offered before Andy was known to have made the finals. I don't believe that is the case. Andy's political concerns are then legitimate, while Dubai's claim that Andy would not have time to arrive for the start of the tournament was spin doctoring, a diversion from what really happened ex post facto.

Tennis_Monk
02-22-2009, 06:00 AM
I think its shady of Venus and Serena to not take a stand. As 2 players who felt they were discriminated against by Indian Wells, they should be willing to voice their anger over another player being discriminated against.

And I also think its wrong for Andy Ram to decide to play. Why isn't he supporting his country-woman?

perhaps for $$$$ reasons. At the end of the day they have to make a living.
Andy Roddick can afford to lose a tournament or a couple of tournaments/sponsors but Andy Ram cant.

Leublu tennis
02-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Unless you don't follow tennis, people withdraw from tournaments literally every tournament. Often the claim is injury but many times that is not a case and is that is just a cover for whatever reason. I have been following tennis for a couple of years and have been playing for a long time. But this was not a "normal" withdrawal. Its like walking out and walking out "in a huff". You know what I mean? Here he not only withdrew, which he has a perfect right to do, but he made a political statement and indicated that his withdrawal was in protest to the politics of the arabs. Thats wrong. You and I can say it and march around protesting the lack of a visa to a lowly ranked woman player, but not a player who indicated he would play, was advertized that he would play (an attraction for the tournament), caused fans to buy tickets, and now he quits. Not a good move. IMO

What he is doing has nothing to do with "a minor political scuffle" it is the the refusal of a country to allow a player who has qualified for a tournament by ranking. But you do see that the Dubai move was a political one? They and Israel are at war. So Dubai did not want an Israli soldier/player into their country. Personally, I think its their business and not ours or Roddicks. Interesting he shrank in your eyes. My guess is you already didn't like him. Not so; not at all. I liked him as a person, mainly off the court since I was not particularly enamored with his game. Now I think he is just a fool, a dupe, or an opportunist. None of those help me like him.

Enlightened Coelacanth
02-22-2009, 08:37 AM
I have been following tennis for a couple of years and have been playing for a long time. But this was not a "normal" withdrawal. Its like walking out and walking out "in a huff". You know what I mean? Here he not only withdrew, which he has a perfect right to do, but he made a political statement and indicated that his withdrawal was in protest to the politics of the arabs. Thats wrong. You and I can say it and march around protesting the lack of a visa to a lowly ranked woman player, but not a player who indicated he would play, was advertized that he would play (an attraction for the tournament), caused fans to buy tickets, and now he quits. Not a good move. IMOWow! How long will you beat your tired old drum over this? Roddick is supporting equality and perfectly within his rights not to play in a tournament he finds offensive to the spirit of equality for all tennis players.
This isn't the first time this has happened and many pros boycotted the apartheid South African regime a while back. Perhaps you've heard?

But you do see that the Dubai move was a political one? They and Israel are at war. So Dubai did not want an Israli soldier/player into their country. Personally, I think its their business and not ours or Roddicks.Is Israel at war with Dubai? That's news.
The fact is, regardless of what you think, Dubai made a commitment to the WTA in order to host this tournament to follow certain guidelines. They haven't, therefore they will suffer the consequences ( including the Tennis Channel decision and that of Roddick's).

It's really very simple. If they can exclude Peer from Dubai today some other venue can do it again in the future. Or they can exclude some other player for some other reason.
Period! End of story. So good for Roddick. He took a proper stand for equality. No wonder you don't like him.

Not so; not at all. I liked him as a person, mainly off the court since I was not particularly enamored with his game. Now I think he is just a fool, a dupe, or an opportunist. None of those help me like him.In fact I believe you said that you "hated" Roddick. Probably not as much as you seem to hate other people's ( that will remain nameless). But nonetheless, hate is a strong word backed by strong emotions. So this must really kill you, eh:).

Fee
02-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Just for the record, Roddick was a Memphis finalist in 2007 (http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?tournamentID=402&tournamentyear=2007) and did not play in Dubai immediately afterward. (http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?tournamentID=495&tournamentyear=2007) In 2008, Andy was a QF at Memphis and went on to play and win at Dubai. Then, to say that time does not allow being a finalist at Memphis and participating in first round play at Dubai is consistent with previous years. The catch is whether the excuse for travel time was offered before Andy was known to have made the finals. I don't believe that is the case. Andy's political concerns are then legitimate, while Dubai's claim that Andy would not have time to arrive for the start of the tournament was spin doctoring, a diversion from what really happened ex post facto.

Andy wasn't entered in Dubai in 2007, last year was the first year that he ever played there. Tommy Haas won Memphis in 2007, left for Dubai immediately and made the semis where he lost to Federer. Travel time is not an excuse.

Fee
02-22-2009, 09:04 AM

He is supporting her. He's using the uproar that was created by her situation to break the barrier and hopefully help make it better for her next year. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in major league baseball, he didn't refuse the offer to play because all the Black men before him had been blocked.

danb
02-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Hats off for Roddick! This is what ALL players should have done.

callitout
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Is Israel at war with Dubai? That's news.
The fact is, regardless of what you think, Dubai made a commitment to the WTA in order to host this tournament to follow certain guidelines. They haven't, therefore they will suffer the consequences ( including the Tennis Channel decision and that of Roddick's). .

Well Put! 10 char

cknobman
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Im glad to see Roddick showing some morals.

Its a shame none of the women are that way especially the Williams sisters who have had to deal with so much(at least in their eyes) "racism and discrimination" over their careers. Bet they would have thrown a fit if it in any way affected a black person.

JankovicFan
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Im glad to see Roddick showing some morals.

Its a shame none of the women are that way especially the Williams sisters who have had to deal with so much(at least in their eyes) "racism and discrimination" over their careers. Bet they would have thrown a fit if it in any way affected a black person.Racism and the Williams sisters are irrelevant to an incident involving nationalism or perhaps simply solidarity among Arabs. Prejudice may be involved but not of a kind involving race.

Morals wouldn't be the right word, I don't think. I am not prepared to say that all players who didn't break ranks and drop out of Dubai are immoral, nor would I say that national antagonsim involving sports has much to do with morality. At best, I think Roddick had *integrity* in acting independently. I don't agree though, because he more than anyone made it a political incident, openly involving the player rank and file, who should let the respective player organizations speak for the entire body in solidarity. Instead, now we have holier-than-thou Andy Roddick, who should not have a public opinion, provided ATP has some chance or plan to speak on the players' behalf.

On the other hand, it is good not to lie about an injury withdrawal. It's not good to be a chump either. This will hurt Andy's ranking and seeding. He could have waited until after Memphis to objectively evaluate whether he was fit to go on to Dubai.

As defending champion of Dubai, Andy was in a special predicament, but he is the one who wound up making a political statement. I suppose one could say ATP let him down, but he didn't allow the maximum time for ATP to speak or act. If ATP didn't cancel the event for this year, Andy should be expected to be there, not act as if his sentiments are higher in precedence than the organization's. He should receive and accept the penalties, because the rules and likely the contracts with tournament organizers say nothing about players acting independently and undermining a tournament. No loose cannons.

NickC
02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Getting a 300,000 fine is less than pennies for the owners of the tournament, the Dubai Royal family, who are rumored to be valued at well over 100 Billion. The fine was absolutely worthless.

Cesc Fabregas
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Roddick is main reason though is he doesn't want to fly from Menphis to Dubai then back to the States for DC.

JankovicFan
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Roddick is main reason though is he doesn't want to fly from Memphis to Dubai then back to the States for DC.No, that would be drinking the Kool-Aid, I think. Davis Cup is later in the week and allows more time to get from Dubai than would be allowed to get to Dubai immediately after Memphis. Andy never said he had a travel time problem, but his fans seem to want to use that for spin doctoring purposes. I understand Dubai made a statement using it too, but that has no integrity. They know Andy gave other reasons for not coming.

baseliner
02-24-2009, 05:19 AM
I salute Roddick for doing the right thing. Compare his principled stand to the gutless actions of Venus Williams and even Billie Jean King. King says politics and sports shouldn't mix! Give me a break. BJK was outspoken on political matters relating to women. What is the difference? Here it is not her ox getting gored.

oscar_2424
02-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Getting a 300,000 fine is less than pennies for the owners of the tournament, the Dubai Royal family, who are rumored to be valued at well over 100 Billion. The fine was absolutely worthless.

yea it's like giving us a fine of 10 cents...

NickC
02-24-2009, 09:32 AM
yea it's like giving us a fine of 10 cents...

Naw, more like .10 pesos down here. Less than a cent. Those dudes over in Dubai and the UAE are so rich they could probably buy the entire third world, and then have a few billion left over to do as they see fit. Scary money, really.

fantom
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Great job, Andy.

boreas
02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
...At best, I think Roddick had *integrity* in acting independently. I don't agree though, because he more than anyone made it a political incident, openly involving the player rank and file, who should let the respective player organizations speak for the entire body in solidarity. Instead, now we have holier-than-thou Andy Roddick, who should not have a public opinion, provided ATP has some chance or plan to speak on the players' behalf.
As defending champion of Dubai, Andy was in a special predicament, but he is the one who wound up making a political statement. I suppose one could say ATP let him down, but he didn't allow the maximum time for ATP to speak or act. If ATP didn't cancel the event for this year, Andy should be expected to be there, not act as if his sentiments are higher in precedence than the organization's. He should receive and accept the penalties, because the rules and likely the contracts with tournament organizers say nothing about players acting independently and undermining a tournament. No loose cannons.

I must respond to this... When you say he more than anyone is making a political statement, you are obviously omitting the tournament director/tournament board of directors who effectively singled out 1 player due to nationality.

As far as the 2nd thing I bolded, anyone who thinks another human being "should not have a public opinion" is going against everything freedom means. If you are not American, I guess that is your prerogative, but if you are American, you should know that our Constitution specifically gives the right to free speech in the 1st Amendment. You did qualify that statement saying 'provided [sic]ATP has some chance or plan to speak on the players' behalf.' How long does one need to wait for their governing body to respond before responding themselves? As far as I can see, the ATP hasn't yet produced a public statement about it. They got Andy Ram in, so its all good, right?

Whether protesting in response to a political decision is, in fact, a political statement is beyond me, and most likely subject to your definition of 'political', but you are making it sound like Andy Roddick is picketing around the Dubai tournament, forcing his beliefs on everyone else. All he did was answer a question when asked during a post-match interview.

Don't get me wrong, Dubai is free to ban whoever they want from their tournaments, but for them to expect everyone to 'play along' is silly. For some people, money is enough, but for others, there are more important things.

norcal
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Good on ya Andy! He's losing big appearance $, points and prize $. He could have used the typical injury (Fed and Nad) excuse but instead made an important statement, a slap in the face to Dubai, a well deserved slap I might add.

Winners or Errors
02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I think walking out of a tournament with a public statement critical of the politics of a country is a lot more than what any athlete should be doing. IMO

Why do you think that?

Winners or Errors
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't agree though, because he more than anyone made it a political incident, openly involving the player rank and file, who should let the respective player organizations speak for the entire body in solidarity. Instead, now we have holier-than-thou Andy Roddick, who should not have a public opinion, provided ATP has some chance or plan to speak on the players' behalf.

Well put, comrade. What person in their right mind would possibly want to make a statement involving personal moral beliefs when an "entire body in solidarity" can do it for him and allow him to abdicate all moral responsibility? Shame on Andy Roddick. He should just put his head down and play tennis like a good worker. ;-)

ollinger
02-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Who was it who said "all that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Roddick is a good man.

Enlightened Coelacanth
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Getting a 300,000 fine is less than pennies for the owners of the tournament, the Dubai Royal family, who are rumored to be valued at well over 100 Billion. The fine was absolutely worthless.Agreed. It was gutless and "principle" purely for show.

leonidas1982
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
and did you hear the tournament director say, "Roddick had to withdraw due to hernia." what a joke.

Okazaki Fragment
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Agreed. It was gutless and "principle" purely for show.

It's a tennis tournament. Did you guys want the WTA fine them 269 billion gold marks to try to cripple their economy? I think $300,000 is a reasonable amount of money that Dubai would be willing to pay to stay in the tennis world. Any higher and Dubai may just decide not to pay.

JankovicFan
02-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Well put, comrade. What person in their right mind would possibly want to make a statement involving personal moral beliefs when an "entire body in solidarity" can do it for him and allow him to abdicate all moral responsibility? Shame on Andy Roddick. He should just put his head down and play tennis like a good worker. ;-)
You cannot intelligently claim that players who chose to proceed take no moral responsibility. They are celebrities who have a contract with ATP, which has a contract with the Dubai tournament. The players are not allowed to voice or exercise moral responsibility until or unless they are somehow free of contracts, which I think would include ATP being publicly silent on the matter, given adequate opportunity to formulate a response.

Roddick has not heard the last of this. You watch, there will be a new rule to cover it. It might be subtle, but players will not be able to act independently with impunity. Collectively they would want it that way, no loose cannons trying to speak for them.

Being allowed to earn several million dollars in ones career is a bit of a Faustian arrangement, as are many mundane occupations. We compromise ideals every day. We should fight battles that are worth fighting and not be the chump who sticks his head up to get it shot off.

This is classic Roddick, who doesn't take enough responsibility for what he says and does. Instead he claims to be candid. The guy's self indulgent and then dangerous and needs to seriously shut up. It might be a different standard if he had earned $10,000 instead of going on $10 million, thanks to ATP. There is an allegiance that he needs to refresh. It's not all about him.

tangerine
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
http://i29.tinypic.com/15pkigg.jpg

Opinion: Andy Roddick Deserves Praise
By Dobey, Tennis Week (http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6627801)

Choice quote:

You have to consider that Andy is one of the top ranked players on the men's tour. He makes millions in prize money, appearance money and in endorsements. Shahar Peer, in contrast, is ranked 48 on the women's tour, probably has only a few endorsements and lacks the fame that Andy has. And Andy Roddick had the guts to tell the Sheikh to take his oil money and shove it. How many other players would sacrifice so much money and ratings points to protest an injustice against a low ranked player on the women's tour? My guess is not many.

tenis
02-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Yes, that's right!!!

Winners or Errors
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
You cannot intelligently claim that players who chose to proceed take no moral responsibility. They are celebrities who have a contract with ATP, which has a contract with the Dubai tournament. The players are not allowed to voice or exercise moral responsibility until or unless they are somehow free of contracts, which I think would include ATP being publicly silent on the matter, given adequate opportunity to formulate a response.

Roddick has not heard the last of this. You watch, there will be a new rule to cover it. It might be subtle, but players will not be able to act independently with impunity. Collectively they would want it that way, no loose cannons trying to speak for them.

Being allowed to earn several million dollars in ones career is a bit of a Faustian arrangement, as are many mundane occupations. We compromise ideals every day. We should fight battles that are worth fighting and not be the chump who sticks his head up to get it shot off.

This is classic Roddick, who doesn't take enough responsibility for what he says and does. Instead he claims to be candid. The guy's self indulgent and then dangerous and needs to seriously shut up. It might be a different standard if he had earned $10,000 instead of going on $10 million, thanks to ATP. There is an allegiance that he needs to refresh. It's not all about him.

Thanks for proving my point. Not claiming that other players lack moral responsibility. Perhaps they have a different perspective, like yours. I suspect you are right, and the ATP will make every effort possible to bring one individual in line. Can't have individuals playing professional tennis; the ratings might actually improve.

Love40
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Andy's in a no win situation with the haters. If he'd played, he would have been subject to trash talk "Roddick sucks. He only won last year because so and so had a bad day and let Andy win" or "Andy sucks, he's only going to Dubai because he lucked out last year" or "Roddicks sucks. His backhand sucks, his volleys suck, and he should have boycotted to show support for Peer". Since he is boycotting, he's an idiot and Roddick sucks..."

Good for him for being willing to take a stand and be politically incorrect.

Fee
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for proving my point. Not claiming that other players lack moral responsibility. Perhaps they have a different perspective, like yours. I suspect you are right, and the ATP will make every effort possible to bring one individual in line. Can't have individuals playing professional tennis; the ratings might actually improve.

Roddick will not be punished by the ATP for this in any way. He will get whatever the standard point losses are and that's it. He probably won't even be fined and he surely will not be fined any additional penalty.

maverick66
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Roddick will not be punished by the ATP for this in any way. He will get whatever the standard point losses are and that's it. He probably won't even be fined and he surely will not be fined any additional penalty.

i would love to see them try to fine him for this. they will get so much flak for it. the guy does what they didnt have the guts to do. im suprised more players didnt do this.

Fee
02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
i would love to see them try to fine him for this. they will get so much flak for it. the guy does what they didnt have the guts to do. im suprised more players didnt do this.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed to play another 500 event to make up for losing this one. But something like that would happen quietly, later in the year. Perhaps. ;)

leonidas1982
02-25-2009, 08:29 PM
good insight. my disdain is not with the players or the UAE and it's cowardice. My disdain is for both tours

enjoy: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/29373450#29373450

JankovicFan
02-26-2009, 07:12 AM
My understanding is that for 2009 the system of fines has been eliminated. Instead they use ranking point standing as leverage to get players to act like a team and serve the organization's goals in return for their opportunities. Penalties are in the form of losing or being denied ranking points.

They also have a pool of bonus money in a significant amount, and there are conditions under which players share in that pool.

No fines...men or women.

xanctus
02-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Way to go Andy...some people from specific country needs to be more reasonable!

pound cat
02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed to play another 500 event to make up for losing this one. But something like that would happen quietly, later in the year. Perhaps. ;)

Good observation...and Roddick has never enjoyed playing too far away anyway.

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Very well put. For once an intelligent comment and right on point! And I certainly agree that this is far from being over. A very foolish juvenile move by Roddick. He will pay for it many times over. Just watch.

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
The article is obviously referring to Dubai's mixing of politics and sports, not Roddick's.

Leublu fails basic logic and reading skills to boot.I just quoted from the AP article. You can draw your own conclusions, bright eyes. You do know what AP is, don't you? But I gather that you have not read the article or you would not be making such crude comments.

Joseph L. Barrow
02-28-2009, 08:37 PM
:lol:
Indeed, clearly Roddick has forgotten that he represents but one small appendage on the body of the great superorganism that is the ATP. If he knows what's good for him (US), he'll cease his futile resistance and be assimilated into the collective, which will liberate him from the awful follies of freedom of thought, speech, and conscientious civil resistance.

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM

"Organizers of the women's event in Dubai have decided to appeal the $300,000 fine they were given by the WTA after Shahar Peer was denied a visa to play in the tournament. "We donít see it as quite fair. The rules of the WTA state that the tournament should make every effort to get visas for the players, and we did make every effort," Dubai Duty Free managing director Colm McLouglin was quoted as saying in the Abu Dhabi National."

Perhaps not worthless, if they're attempting to appeal the fine. Just found this tidbit of info interesting.

tacou
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
no its definitely worthless, but this shows dubai organizers truly believe they did nothing wrong

NandoMania
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
That sounds great in theory, but in the modern world sports bodies cannot be relied upon to demonstrate any moral leadership,whether this means giving the Olympics to China or allowing Dubai to be overtly racist.

Roddick has demonstrated admirable integrity . While everyone else fudges around the issue he has acted , at considerable expense to himself.

Perhaps you recall the Williams sisters outrage at their treatment in a tourney, was it Indian Wells, where they were simply booed, put it down to racism and didn't play there again? Their hypocrisy in playing Dubai is astonishing.

So I applaud Andy Roddick,and while he can be an *** on court , he is showing leadership off it.

Yes. Excellent post.

NandoMania
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Except this isn't the first strike for Dubai. At least, that's what I read. :???:

JankovicFan
03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
"Organizers of the women's event in Dubai have decided to appeal the $300,000 fine they were given by the WTA after Shahar Peer was denied a visa to play in the tournament. "We donít see it as quite fair. The rules of the WTA state that the tournament should make every effort to get visas for the players, and we did make every effort," Dubai Duty Free managing director Colm McLouglin was quoted as saying in the Abu Dhabi National."

Perhaps not worthless, if they're attempting to appeal the fine. Just found this tidbit of info interesting.I was wondering when a distinction would be drawn between the tournament and the government.

Joseph L. Barrow
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.failpix.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/p-344-323-49291437-de2e-45dd-8379-6f65d4620555.jpeg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4131/tennisdoublesfailhu9.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/4grjdcn.jpg
So, if willingly sacrificing a large amount of money and ranking credit out of moral conviction does NOT demonstrate admirable integrity, then, well, what does?

NandoMania
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
http://i16.tinypic.com/4grjdcn.jpg

Who is that woman sitting next to Roger Federer?

veroniquem
03-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Who is that woman sitting next to Roger Federer?
I don't think it's Mirka :)

Leublu tennis
03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I was wondering when a distinction would be drawn between the tournament and the government.Thats the whole point. Visa policy is government policy and the tour organizers can not influence it. Look at the DC tie in Sweden. The entire match with Israelis will be behind closed doors. No spectators allowed. Do you want to blame the tour organizers that the government can not (or would not) provide security?

tennisnut16
03-05-2009, 05:58 AM

I find it really interesting that they banned an Israeli woman but not the Israeli man. The UAE is like this and there were security concerns over the woman but not the man which is curious. I don't think just because she got her points/money means that it can all be forgotten.

coloskier
03-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I can GUARANTEE that Billie Jean King isn't going to forget it. Dubai can kiss their WTA tournament goodbye, since BJK started the WTA. BJK could care less about the money. If there ever was a woman who you could guarantee would stand on a principal, it is BJK.

Of course, UAE could care less about BJK, or any other woman for that matter. So the whole issue is moot.