PDA

View Full Version : tennis would be better if

roddickfan90
02-21-2009, 02:28 AM
nalbandian was fitter and more consistent
safin was commited to the sport and mentally stable and kept his 2000 form
roddick didn't get rid of BG and did wat he did best and was intelligent.
hewitt didn't get as much injuries
noone slowed down all the surfaces down (variety of court speeds)

i think fed & rafa would have so much more competition right now if all of these factors took place 2day. i want your thoughts if u agree with me

miyagi
02-21-2009, 02:37 AM
nalbandian was fitter and more consistent
safin was commited to the sport and mentally stable and kept his 2000 form
roddick didn't get rid of BG and did wat he did best and was intelligent.
hewitt didn't get as much injuries
noone slowed down all the surfaces down (variety of court speeds)

i think fed & rafa would have so much more competition right now if all of these factors took place 2day. i want your thoughts if u agree with me

I see what you are saying but you are looking for a perfect world and we just dont live in one....

There will always be underachievers.....thats what makes Fed and Rafa so great....

You can't tell me you have never been gripped by Safin going nuts lol....it's entertaining in it's own way.

Roddick isn't very smart and thats really what seperates him from Fed....

Injuries etc whilst not nice also build anticipation we dont know from one year to the next who is going to be playing...

all these things are part of what makes tennis great if everyone turned up 100% and 100% focused and 100% fit we would have some long and boring tennis imo.

pound cat
02-21-2009, 03:00 AM
I see what you are saying but you are looking for a perfect world and we just dont live in one....

There will always be underachievers.....thats what makes Fed and Rafa so great....

You can't tell me you have never been gripped by Safin going nuts lol....it's entertaining in it's own way.

Roddick isn't very smart and thats really what seperates him from Fed....

Injuries etc whilst not nice also build anticipation we dont know from one year to the next who is going to be playing...

all these things are part of what makes tennis great if everyone turned up 100% and 100% focused and 100% fit we would have some long and boring tennis imo.

Well said.

(And there woud be no need for messageboards where criticism plays a major part) LOL

Ocean Drive
02-21-2009, 05:51 AM
if safin didn't get injured in 2005.

chrisdaniel
02-22-2009, 12:42 AM
I think Roddick IS a pretty smart guy actually, very witty as well. Just maybe does not have that natural tennis talent that some other players like Federer or Murray have. Still very Talented though.

Tennis would be more popular if more players had a little more charisma out there. I know, it's not their job to be stars. Well in a way it is for the top players. They are entertainers as well, and when you are a boring entertainer, not as many will care. In america tennis is still seeing as a weak nerd sport unfortunately. I wish this would change but I'm afraid they don't show enough tennis, and I believe the angles they show it in need to get better as well.
I was watching with a friend who knows little of tennis, it was the australian open. He was saying how it does not look that hard, and that it's boring to watch. Then they switched to one of those outside courts where the camera was like at court level to the side. He freaked out at the pace and the amount of running for even just one point, then he couldn't stop watching.
Also showing the William sisters and Roddick every time gets a little annoying and predictable.

tahiti
02-22-2009, 12:51 AM
If Murray got a hair and teeth job plus a new wardrobe.
If Roddick would start beating Federer.
If there were more grass court tournaments.
If I had the tennis channel at home.
If Djoko impersonated Tsonga and Murray.
If an ace carried only 1/2 a point.

chrisdaniel
02-22-2009, 01:03 AM
The tennis channel is cool when they are not showing the same thing for the millionth time.

breadstick
02-22-2009, 01:44 AM
If you it got more free tv coverage (cable is expensive you know).
If pro's didn't use paintjobs.
If Djokovic didn't turn the crowd against himself all the time.
If I was better at it...

Tempest344
02-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Wimbledon was sped up a bit
more grass events and less hard court events

VillaVilla
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM
i was number one in the world.

ferocious4hand
02-22-2009, 02:43 AM
...if WTA didn't exist?

Leublu tennis
02-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Tennis would be more popular if more players had a little more charisma out there. Unfortunately you can't be trained for charisma. Thats why so many people adore Marat. He's got it. I know, it's not their job to be stars. Well in a way it is for the top players. They are entertainers as well, and when you are a boring entertainer, not as many will care.
I agree with you completely. I watch tennis for the pleasure, to be entertained. Not necessarily who wins, although I usually do root for a particular player.

and I believe the angles they show it in need to get better as well. Yes, the camera is set up too high. All you see are the angles at which the stroke is made but its so fast that you can't really catch whether the ball is in or not, until a replay. When the camera is set lower, you really do get to see more of the action of the player who is forcing the game - the server. I think the reason they put the camera where they do is due to economic considerations. They put it up with the cheaper seats. Down lower are the primo ones so they don't want to take up the room there. The first time I went to a tournament, I was astounded at all the activity that was taking place around the court, something you are not aware of when you watch on the screen.

Also showing the William sisters and Roddick every time gets a little annoying and predictable. Thats probably because the people who make decisions on what to show don't know anything about tennis so they go after the well known names and not the more interesting matches.

miyagi
02-22-2009, 03:25 AM
If you it got more free tv coverage (cable is expensive you know).
If pro's didn't use paintjobs.
If Djokovic didn't turn the crowd against himself all the time.
If I was better at it...

Can anyone explain why this happens to me pls?

JankovicFan
02-22-2009, 06:07 AM
big women had to play in their own class or not at all. Less of a freak show and power game from the baseline is what I am after, not relegating more typical female physiques to being relatively petite doubles queens, totally overpowered in open singles competition.

lawrence
02-22-2009, 07:34 AM
...if WTA didn't exist?

if this was true

-more prize money spent on ATP (possibly), leading to bigger and grander tournaments
-no more mindless ball bashing to watch
-no filler crap that wastes my time when all i want to do is watch a proper match coming up

what a dream

SempreSami
02-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Tennis would be better if Graeme Smith played, but he doesn't so too bad.

VivalaVida
02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Tennis would be better if Graeme Smith played, but he doesn't so too bad.
It would also be better if lebron James played tennis.

saram
02-22-2009, 01:03 PM
better if...

Coria beat Gaudio
Juan Carlos Ferrero beat Roddick

oneguy21
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
i wish tennis was as popular as american football.

DoubleDeuce
02-22-2009, 01:41 PM
i wish tennis was as popular as american football.

Yeah, even soccer would be better than football, whci I call pushball. The real football is soccer.

scotus
02-22-2009, 02:32 PM
... if grunts and shrieks were banned.

Cyan
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
... if grunts and shrieks were banned.

Disagree.:twisted:

Beasty54
02-22-2009, 08:24 PM
...if WTA didn't exist?

This is absolutely true.

coloskier
02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Tennis would be better if clay was only used for pig farms.

pennc94
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
If it had a player with the appeal of a Tiger Woods.
If Hawkeye would automatically call the ball out (instead of being used only for challenges).
If winning a point on an UE counted as half a point.
Towel off only allowed on changeover (not between every point).

Andyk028
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
...they sold those goofy hats the ball boys and linesmen wear at the Aussie Open on Tennis Warehouse.

saram
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
If we could locate that ballgirl at the US Open that distracted us that one night in New York a few years ago. I'd like to see here in the final in 2009.

(just joking around here...)

richied
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Tennis would be better if we had more people smashing racquets!!! We need some emotion out there. That's one reason for watching Andy and Safin...come on people get angry ocassionally. It ****ed me off when Fed just submitted to Nadal's pressure. Young Fed would have sworn or chucked a racquet. Sure, he's keeps his emotions in check now and is a better player, but now and then show your opponent your some mongruel. I've been playing and watching tennis for 20 +years and i'm a little bored. We need some more characters!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!Hewitt would say!!!

richied
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Tennis would be better if clay was only used for pig farms

God Bless You My Son..BAN THE DIRT!!!!!!!

Frankauc
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
WTA would be better if........................it was models playing naked tennis. That's about the only solution

federerdomination
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
WTA would be better if........................it was models playing naked tennis

Lol TV ratings would skyrocket. ATP would be so boring in comparison :)

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
tennis would be better if fans would stop thinking that something is wrong with tennis and that it needs to be improved

i think its great right now, if it aint broke dont fix it

veroniquem
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
If people stopped arguing about the speed of surfaces, that's very annoying!

saram
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
....if people would start to discuss on message boards whom is better: Rafa or Roger. I'd really like to discuss this a little more and no one seems to want to.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
....if people would start to discuss on message boards whom is better: Rafa or Roger. I'd really like to discuss this a little more and no one seems to want to.

Yea its hard to find threads on such subject, its seems we have no federer or nadal fans on these forums

Toxicmilk
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Yea its hard to find threads on such subject, its seems we have no federer or nadal fans on these forums

LoL.

If the kids with all the hype actually performed well. I.E Donald Young...