PDA

View Full Version : why nalbandian is good in atp events and not good anymore in grandslams.

nalbyvsfed
02-21-2009, 05:00 AM
as the title says?
A few years ago he was good at grand slams but was bad playing atp tournaments. it's the opposite now, how is that possible?

roddickfan90
02-21-2009, 05:07 AM
i think it is becuz of the US open 2003 semi-final, scared for life maybe. fitness may be key as well as chocking

Ocean Drive
02-21-2009, 05:09 AM
Don't know, I don't think anybody does. Maybe he feels the pressure.

nalbyvsfed
02-21-2009, 05:14 AM
i think it is becuz of the US open 2003 semi-final, scared for life maybe. fitness may be key as well as chocking

scared for live maybe i saw that match, and roddick was serving unbelieveble.:)

random guy
02-21-2009, 05:20 AM
I think that he wins ATP tournaments just because is obvious that he can, and if the draw is not specially hard he can almost walk throughout it. It doesn't demand him a lot of focus neither he has to play his A game to win them.
Slams are of course a very different story and lately he doesn't seems like he has the mental energy/desire to go through to two weeks of playing really hard matches. He wasted very good opportunities for winning one (Wimbledon final against Hewitt, USO semis against Roddick, AO semis against Baghdatis, RG semis against Roger) and somehow he lost the train. Only if he becomes super focused (like at the end of 2007) at just the right time (a very unlikely scenario) he would has a chance to reach an slam final. Of course, as a big Nalby fan, I'll keep waiting for that to happen even if it is a lost cause.

Tempest344
02-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Probably due to increased pressure at the slams which may cause episodes of Binge Eating before matches

Oui, c'est moi.
02-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Maybe if he was a little fitter he could last 2 weeks of best of 5.

Though really i think he has some kind of mental bloc against slams in general.

viduka0101
02-21-2009, 06:01 AM
he could be presured by something at the slams because he keeps losing to players he should be beating, who knows
i dont think its a fitness problem, well at least you cant tell because lately hes regularly out of slams in the early stages so you cant say if he is or isnt fit enough

Andres
02-21-2009, 09:55 AM
I think that he wins ATP tournaments just because is obvious that he can, and if the draw is not specially hard he can almost walk throughout it. It doesn't demand him a lot of focus neither he has to play his A game to win them.
Slams are of course a very different story and lately he doesn't seems like he has the mental energy/desire to go through to two weeks of playing really hard matches. He wasted very good opportunities for winning one (Wimbledon final against Hewitt, USO semis against Roddick, AO semis against Baghdatis, RG semis against Roger) and somehow he lost the train. Only if he becomes super focused (like at the end of 2007) at just the right time (a very unlikely scenario) he would has a chance to reach an slam final. Of course, as a big Nalby fan, I'll keep waiting for that to happen even if it is a lost cause.I'm a huge Nalby fan, but let's keep it real, he never stood a chance against Hewitt ;)

Hankenstein
02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Gordo Nalbandian!!! ;-)

I think itīs 100% due to his lack of fitness.. Donīt get me wrong, but compare guys like Verdasco with Nalbandian...

tahiti
02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
It's definitely something to do with fitness.

rubberduckies
02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Well, he had the 2003 USO stolen from him and has never recovered.

TennisViewer
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
It's probably the pressure or that everyone's playing their best tennis during Grand Slams.

Tennis Viewer (http://www.**********.net)

TheNatural
02-21-2009, 08:28 PM
he's too fat to play well for 2 weeks and in 5 setters.

breadstick
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
This.

And too much playstation.

random guy
02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Gordo Nalbandian!!! ;-)

I think itīs 100% due to his lack of fitness.. Donīt get me wrong, but compare guys like Verdasco with Nalbandian...

Well Verdasco isn't precisely the goat of slams isn't he? Until DC last year he hadn't won nothing significant in all his career.

random guy
02-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm a huge Nalby fan, but let's keep it real, he never stood a chance against Hewitt ;)

Yes of course. At that time Hewitt was HEWITT, and Nalbandian was just a skinny guy with some backhand.

Andres
02-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Well, he had the 2003 USO stolen from him and has never recovered.
He never recovered..... by reaching
'04 AO QF
'04 FO SF
'05 AO QF
'05 Wimby QF
'05 USO QF
winning TMC in 2005
and reaching two consecutive GS SF in 2006 before going downhill in slams.

Sure, sounds like the 2003 USO reeeeally affected him.

Conquistador
02-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Nalbandian is a guy who can win any tournament he enters. He is a true "darkhorse". He is a guy who has the capability to take Federer and Nadal to 5 sets. And if there were more carpet tournaments-he could open up his own store-just because he owns that surface.

Rhino
02-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Nalbandian is still the only other player apart from Nadal who has an over-all winning head-to-head against the top 4, meaning he's won more matches against them than he has lost in total (13 - 12).

Nobody else can say that apart from Nadal.

(One exception, Yen-Hsun Lu has only played Murray, and he won).

Ocean Drive
02-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Yes of course. At that time Hewitt was HEWITT, and Nalbandian was just a skinny guy with some backhand.

He wasn't skinny at all, just not fat. Right now he is fat.

vince evert
02-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Nalbandian would fit nicely in Richard Evans category of "the nearly man of tennis". Evans once used that condenscending term on the late Vitas Gerulaitis in the 1980's. The guy wins the 2009 New South Wales Open in a great final but loses early in the recent Australian Open one week later. I reckon it's related to Davide's attitude to Tennis throughout his entire career. The sands of time are running out for this otherwise gifted Argentinian to win a Grand Slam.

nalbyvsfed
02-23-2009, 07:32 AM
i think 2003 has really affected him, 2nd in 2006 he was back in business again until he had that stomach injury. its a little frustrating to get injured alot. and his father got deceased, this is not easy.

tintin
02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
he's not in shape and doesn't seem to want to win slams;that's the bottom line
unlike Roddick whose a 1 dimentional player but who has tried hard to had new "variety" in his game Roddick wants to win another major(which I hope NEVER happens) Nalbandian has variety in his game but he simply doesn't have the will to condition himself better because he's an all-surface player who can and has taken down every one in the top 10(but Tsonga)or stay focus

ksbh
02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
You're beginning to talk like Pete Sampras! LOL!

Nalbandian is a guy who can win any tournament he enters. He is a true "darkhorse". He is a guy who has the capability to take Federer and Nadal to 5 sets. And if there were more carpet tournaments-he could open up his own store-just because he owns that surface.

Gorecki
02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
You're beginning to talk like Pete Sampras! LOL!

and you are starting to become quite predictable with that Pete Sampras constant BS... for someone who doesnt like him you sure talk a lot about him dont you? do i sense a hint of fear that the monkey will never reach as many years on tour has pete let alone titles...

\rant

blackfrido
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM

this is what a pro player says about Nalbandian, of course is subjetive but an opinion to keep in consideration.
CL1NT says;
seen him getting pulled on a rubber band runnign out to backhands staying so solid around his upper body a crunshing the ball..
ive seen him do sprints and exercises others would die doing..the guy doenst look that fit..but he is an animal..

the above was taken from here;
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3161953#post3161953

Dilettante
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
He's way past his prime.

And it's not the same playing a non-slam tournament, even a Masters Series, than playing a slam.