PDA

View Full Version : starting clamp

Pistol Pete
02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
can someone tell me the reasoning for buying a starting clamp? is it worth it? I do 2 piece since half gut and half lux.
how do i use the starting clamp?

ambro
02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
100% worth the price, without a doubt. And don't be cheap and get like an Eagnas. At the very least, the Alpha/RAB clamp is the one you want. If you can, I've heard Babolat's are the Cadillac of starting clamps, but I've never had the pleasure of using one, plus I believe their in the $70 range, which is kind of ridiculous.

They can be used for the following:
(1) to start the mains by themselves
(2) to back up a regular clamp when starting the mains
(3) as a bridge at the end of a stringjob or the end of the mains if the string can't reach the tensioner
(4) to start the crosses (this is where the name comes from, I believe)
(5) makes 50/50 stringing and all ATW patterns possible
(6) to tighten knots

I use mine for numbers, 1, 4, and 6 on a regular basis and also 3 and 5 when applicable. You will really appreciate the value of a good starting clamp if you get one, no doubt.

william7gr
02-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes they are definitely worth it without a question. I use the SP clamp and it works great.

davidahenry
02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I am not a huge fan of starting knots, so whenever I string two-piece, I use my starting clamp to start the crosses - and then use a finishing knot (Parnell) later.

YULitle has a great video about starting crosses with a starting clamp.

I bought the Alpha starting clamp from TW, and it works great.

Take care.

DH

zidane339
02-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I used the Babolat clamp for one stringjob, and it was heavenly!

ryangoring
02-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I have the Mutual Power starting clamp, and it works very well. I have never used the others mention but @ 22 bucks, I think it can rival the others.

pro_staff
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
I have the Mutual Power starting clamp, and it works very well. I have never used the others mention but @ 22 bucks, I think it can rival the others.

I have the Mutual Power starting clamp also. It works perfectly fine. It doesn't slip but doesn't crush the strings either.

Irvin
02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
can someone tell me the reasoning for buying a starting clamp? is it worth it? I do 2 piece since half gut and half lux.

Sounds like you are only stringing your rackets. Assuming you are not familiar with the purpose or function of the starting clamp I would think you are doing fine without one.

That tells me you don't need one. They are handy tools but not a necessity.

Irvin

dancraig
02-21-2009, 04:20 PM

http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pp600.html#pp600op

DizBoiDanny
02-21-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't want to start any arguements, but I don't use a starting clamp. I don't believe you really need to. The two piece stringing can use a starting knot, and the one piece, you can use the pattern that doesn't require the starting knot. ATW (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSFu0XhStQ&feature=channel_page) I use that pattern and it is really easy once you get use to it.

But there is reasons why you should get one, like when your string is to short to reach the tensioner. But thats the only reason I can think of.

I would buy a starting clamp if I had the money, but for right now, I don't really need it.

ambro
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
You're right Danny, they are not required by any means. However, the point being made is that they are well worth the money if you can afford one. If you can't then it is fine stringing without one, but it makes stringing so much more convenient.

iplaybetter
02-21-2009, 06:57 PM
its a good thing to have, i just got my second as i find the need for two. That said i do use starting knots a decent amount as i find that they can be the best option is some cases. but all in all i would get one, especially for gut