PDA

View Full Version : News on a Federer-Cahill Contract

DoubleDeuce
02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
This French Sports news website is confirming (up to now) rumors on Roger-Cahill teaming up.

It's in French though:

http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1513/tennis/article/detail/428271/2008/09/25/Federer-sous-les-ordres-de-Darren-Cahill.dhtml

Here is how google translated it:

Under the leadership of Jose Higueras in April 2008, Roger Federer has decided to end its collaboration with the former glory of the Spanish tennis.

Australian Darren Cahill will take under his wing prodgieux the Swiss player, recent winner of the U.S. Open. Federer and Higueras split because the Spaniard has the opportunity to work with the American Federation, which would have made a tempting offer.

Cahill, former coach of Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi, has so far been based commentator with the Australian television channel ESPN. . In 2003, Federer had appealed to Cahill for the first time, but Australia had refused his proposal. The Swiss is now finalizing a contract.

Maybe they have some inside info, maybe they don't. As far as I am concerned it remain as speculation until Federer, Cahill or a credible source confrims this.

RCizzle65
02-21-2009, 11:54 AM
lol Jose Federer

JeMar
02-21-2009, 11:56 AM
lol (10char)

Daized
02-21-2009, 11:56 AM
This sounds too good to be true, Cahill really would make a great coach for him, from a tactic stand point. Although, even if he becomes Federer's coach, I would think that he Federer would do his usual "I won't listen to my coach" routine.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 11:58 AM
This sounds too good to be true, Cahill really would make a great coach for him, from a tactic stand point. Although, even if he becomes Federer's coach, I would think that he Federer would do his usual "I won't listen to my coach" routine.

I hope this is true but if it is, fed actually needs to listen and not be so stubborn.

saram
02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I wonder if Cahill's ties to Adidas and Agassi end soon?

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I wonder if Cahill's ties to Adidas and Agassi end soon?

no idea, but it would be cool, atleast for me anyway, to see fed working with cahill and even agassi, although thats just wishful thinking.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 12:03 PM
It has to be true, they would never invent something like that! It's bad for me because
1- I liked Cahill as a TV commentator in the US.
2- Now that Cahill is involved with Fed, the other American commentators are gonna be more pro Fed than ever.
I'm bracing myself in advance :???:

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-21-2009, 12:08 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Fed's game would possibly change. Cahill would be the GOAT of coaches if he managed to get Fed back to beating everyone. However, he'll be hated forever by Fed fans because he was hailed as a savior.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 12:10 PM
It has to be true, they would never invent something like that! It's bad for me because
2- Now that Cahill is involved with Fed, the other American commentators are gonna be more pro Fed than ever.

well I don't think you'll have to worry about brad gilbert switching camps, he is a *********.

TennezSport
02-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Well if this is true then half of the team is in place, Fed just needs Gil Reyes to "Pump Him Up" to Mega Fed status Grrrrrrr :twisted:

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Lotto
02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
This would be amazing if it was true!!!!

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Fed's game would possibly change. Cahill would be the GOAT of coaches if he managed to get Fed back to beating everyone. However, he'll be hated forever by Fed fans because he was hailed as a savior.

I wouldn't hate him.

JeMar
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM

I don't get it. :???:

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't get it. :???:
Because credit would be given to Cahill rather than Fed is what I think he means...

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Because credit would be given to Cahill rather than Fed is what I think he means...

if they do team up and fed goes back to his dominating ways, shouldn't cahill receive the credit, atleast a large portion of it anway?

JeMar
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Well, someone had to teach Federer how to play. It's not like he became the player he is all by himself. It's always been ultimately a team effort, even if he was trained so well he was able to go by himself for a few years.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't hate him.

Some would. It's like Obama: he was hailed during the campaign for change, but if he doesn't change the US for the good, his supporters would hate on him. Bottom line: Cahill has a lot of pressure if he takes Fed under his wing.

if they do team up and fed goes back to his dominating ways, shouldn't cahill receive the credit, atleast a large portion of it anway?

Fed was (is) falling from his throne farther and farther and farther. He did it without a coach. If Cahill revived him, then people will think Cahill's a genius even though Fed should receive the credit.

Morrissey
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM

They were all pro-Fed anyway, so was Cahill. If anything you took away one less pro-Federer commentator and you kept the lone Nadal fan in Gilbert. So thank God BG is still there, I never thought I would say that. However, Chris Fowler is pretty fair. MJ Fernandez's husband is Fed's agent so we know where her alliance lays. Pmac if he isn't in love with Roddick-Blake he's in love with Fed. But one thing is true, the Fed camp is certainly facing their first real crisis. And the same goes for this TW pro Fed forum.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Some would. It's like Obama: he was hailed during the campaign for change, but if he doesn't change the US for the good, his supporters would hate on him. Bottom line: Cahill has a lot of pressure if he takes Fed under his wing.

Fed was (is) falling from his throne farther and farther and farther. He did it without a coach. If Cahill revived him, then people will think Cahill's a genius even though Fed should receive the credit.

shouldn't both receive the credit?

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 12:49 PM
They were all pro-Fed anyway, so was Cahill. If anything you took away one less pro-Federer commentator and you kept the lone Nadal fan in Gilbert. So thank God BG is still there, I never thought I would say that. However, Chris Fowler is pretty fair. MJ Fernandez's husband is Fed's agent so we know where her alliance lays. Pmac if he isn't in love with Roddick-Blake he's in love with Fed. But one thing is true, the Fed camp is certainly facing their first real crisis. And the same goes for this TW pro Fed forum.

I always thought Pmac was more of a nadal fan.

oh never mind, I was thinking Jmac, but realized you said Pmac.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-21-2009, 12:50 PM
shouldn't both receive the credit?

Yes, but Fed didn't have a coach when he started the freefall. Cahill would be seen more responsible for Fed's resurgence (if he does resurge.)

thejoe
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
JMac always seemed like a Nadal fan to me. He seems to love any lefty he sees. PMac seems to be a Fed man from what I can infer. All the British commentators are Nad fans especially Lloyd and Castle.

zagor
02-21-2009, 01:16 PM

Disagree,first real crisis was last year,this is just the continuing of it.I realized after last year that Fed's days of dominating tennis are gone and I'm fine with it,he dominated long enough but I have to admit that I'm ****ed he doesn't have a coach so I hope this rumour is true.I'm a big Fed fan and all that but don't like this kind of attitude "I'm so good I don't need a coach" from him,everyone needs a coach(even someone as talented as Fed),especially at the age of 27-28 when natural decline kicks in and you can no longer just play "your game" and be as succesfull.Sampras had coach,Agassi had coach,Nadal has coach,Fed needs one as well,not go back to dominating tennis as that won't happen any more but in order to break Pete's slam record which is still within his capablity to do.

I'm a big Fed fan and if Fed breaks Pete's slam record under Cahill I will hail him as savior.Heck,if Fed gets paired with Cahill and breaks Pete's record under him I promise I'll make a praising thread here dedicated to him.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 01:19 PM
JMac always seemed like a Nadal fan to me. He seems to love any lefty he sees. PMac seems to be a Fed man from what I can infer. All the British commentators are Nad fans especially Lloyd and Castle.
Agree. JMac is pro Nadal and and PMac is pro Fed.

oneguy21
02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I hope Cahill will help his game.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Disagree,first real crisis was last year,this is just the continuing of it.I realized after last year that Fed's days of dominating tennis are gone and I'm fine with it,he dominated long enough but I have to admit that I'm ****ed he doesn't have a coach so I hope this rumour is true.I'm a big Fed fan and all that but don't like this kind of attitude "I'm so good I don't need a coach" from him,everyone needs a coach(even someone as talented as Fed),especially at the age of 27-28 when natural decline kicks in and you can no longer just play "your game" and be as succesfull.Sampras had coach,Agassi had coach,Nadal has coach,Fed needs one as well,not go back to dominating tennis as that won't happen any more but in order to break Pete's slam record which is still within his capablity to do.

I'm a big Fed fan and if Fed breaks Pete's slam record under Cahill I will hail him as savior.Heck,if Fed gets paired with Cahill and breaks Pete's record under him I promise I'll make a praising thread here dedicated to him.

I will for sure be hailing cahill along with you.

OddJack
02-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok so now the new topic after who the coach is, is who gets the credit?
Tell me, was there egg first or chicken, you loons?
Dont you see however you look at it they both are going to get credit for it?

Some players are more dependent on coaches than others but both parties get credit regardless. Nadal for example is one of the most dependent players out there. He needs toni like robots need software. And even there, he gets credit for fowlling up on everything he tells him a to z.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 01:30 PM
btw is there a reason that cahill previously declined to coach fed? I know he said something about fed not being able to afford him, but is there another reason?

Lotto
02-21-2009, 01:30 PM
This isn't even official yet and you're debating who's going to get the credit for Fed's "return" lol. What are ya's like??? :p

I am praying this is true and hoping that it's announced by one of them soon....or another source anounces it.

OddJack
02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I saw it in 2003 cahill said he cant afford me. If true stupid thing to say, even as a joke.

zagor
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
btw is there a reason that cahill previously declined to coach fed? I know he said something about fed not being able to afford him, but is there another reason?

Lol,I remember that quote and I'm pretty sure that was a joke from Cahill,he's a funny guy.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw it in 2003 cahill said he cant afford me. If true stupid thing to say, even as a joke.

I think there's more to it than that. It seems like cahill dislikes federer although I have no idea why.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I think there's more to it than that. It seems like cahill dislikes federer although I have no idea why.
IMO Cahill loves Federer, why do you think he dislikes him?

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
IMO Cahill loves Federer, why do you think he dislikes him?

lol, I guess I took his comment the wrong way, you're going to have to pardon me for my ignorance. I've read some comments here and there that cahill dislikes fed, that's all, but I really have no idea about anything really.

OddJack
02-21-2009, 01:40 PM

He dislikes him because Roger beat his predictions big time. He was big on Hewitt and Roger basically buried him. He had seen 15yo Fed play and had only negative prospects for him. He maybe a great coach but he will suck as a gambler.

veroniquem
02-21-2009, 01:42 PM
lol, I guess I took his comment the wrong way, you're going to have to pardon me for my ignorance. I've read some comments here and there that cahill dislikes fed, that's all, but I really have no idea about anything really.
As a commentator, he is always very complimentary of Roger. He picked him to win the AO at the beginning of the final.

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 01:45 PM
As a commentator, he is always very complimentary of Roger. He picked him to win the AO at the beginning of the final.

that doesn't mean he loves him, perhaps he's just being objective. Setting aside my love for fed, as a comentator I would have picked fed to have won that final since he had everything going for him. Doesn't mean cahill likes or loves fed.

bluescreen
02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
i really hope this is true. im sure cahill can do wonders for federer's game if he's willing to listen. should be exciting.

TheTruth
02-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Agree, agree, and agree!

TheTruth
02-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Throughout the tournament he picked Nadal. The only reason he went with Fed was because of the circumstances, (longest semi-final and all). I think Cahill was initially kind of objective but leaning towards Federer, but every day he is getting more and more impressed with Nadal.

Marius_Hancu
02-21-2009, 02:26 PM
The date shown at the bottom of the article is from last year, IMO.
See the 08 at the end followed by the hour, probably
Sept 25, 2008

---------
25/09/08 10h28

Lire aussi: Higueras nouveau coach de Federer
---------

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Sept 25, 2008

---------
25/09/08 10h28

---------

aww nuts. Bummer

TheNatural
02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Cahill should start coaching Fed at the end of the year so that Fed can take all the credit for losing again at the Fo and at Wimbledon.

Lendl and Federer Fan
02-21-2009, 02:54 PM
It is about time Federer gets a coach, although I think Brad Gilbert is better suited for Federer at this point.

tintin
02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
seems like it's a Belgian site
I can't seem to confirm the news of the Federer-Cahill partnership

I would rather believe L'Equipe than this belgian site;just my 2 cents ;)

drake
02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
It is about time Federer gets a coach, although I think Brad Gilbert is better suited for Federer at this point.

I would be leery of a professional coach who only uses a continental grip for forehand and backhand.

ruerooo
02-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Sept 25, 2008

---------
25/09/08 10h28

---------

*snickers quietly*

tenis
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

No way, different personalities.

federerdomination
02-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Lol I think Fed can afford him now :)

But too bad it all seems to be speculation now. Whether Cahill gets the some of the credit (assuming there is a Fed resurgence) shouldn't matter. After all, winning GS (sharing credit) > losing GS (not sharing credit) (Not that I think Fed can't win GS without a new coach)

Lotto
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
So this is all speculation now for sure? :(:(:(

No more news on Fed-Cahill at the moment?

I really hope Fed hires him. I would love to see it. I'm sure it would work really well.

Love Game
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM

the atp commentators are also. i cant count the times they unnecessarily mention: oh, my, isn't it strange to see federer down at the bottom of the draw, and, ooops i accidentally called hiim world #1 when he's actually #2. once okay. but over and over is purposeful. bought and paid for;

Love Game
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Well if this is true then half of the team is in place, Fed just needs Gil Reyes to "Pump Him Up" to Mega Fed status Grrrrrrr :twisted:

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Gil Reyes is under contract to Adidas, isn't he?
IOW, his dance card is waaaaaay full.

angharad
02-22-2009, 10:47 PM

The quote wasn't from 2003, it was from 2007. My guess has been that there was some bad blood between Federer and anyone close to Roche, simply because of how that fell apart. I believe that split was still pretty fresh at the time.

breadstick
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm surprised he's writing up a contract. He had Tony Roche on a weekly basis.

breadstick
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
The commentators are pro everyone.They never bad mouth a player and always talk up their chances.

That said, I swear that Jim Courier wants Nadal's babies.

Oui, c'est moi.
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Apparently René Stauffer [Quest for Perfection] has said that it's unlikely Cahill will be approached by Roger as a possible coach. According to him Roger has said many times that Cahill isnt one of the coaches he'd think of working with.

:-?

shakes1975
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
This has already been told by a few here, including FiveO.

What Fed needs is more of a strategic shift, from a baseliner's point of view.

He has more tools in his bag than anyone, and he needs someone who brought a great deal of strategy to his matches, who selectively expanded his game from the baseline forward and had success doing it on the world's biggest stages.

In one word, Jimmy Connors.

IMO, Cahill or Annacone might be too drastic in that they might try to overhaul his game. That's not good.

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
The commentators are pro everyone.They never bad mouth a player and always talk up their chances.

That said, I swear that Jim Courier wants Nadal's babies.
What the ... are you talking about? Courier is so enamored of Roger that Haas made a joke about it!

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Throughout the tournament he picked Nadal. The only reason he went with Fed was because of the circumstances, (longest semi-final and all). I think Cahill was initially kind of objective but leaning towards Federer, but every day he is getting more and more impressed with Nadal.
Great news, first that my favorite commentator Cahill is gonna continue to praise Rafa, second I'll have the pleasure of seeing him on TV as usual and the Fed thing was just a rumor. I'm happy :)

tennis_hand
02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
This has already been told by a few here, including FiveO.

What Fed needs is more of a strategic shift, from a baseliner's point of view.

He has more tools in his bag than anyone, and he needs someone who brought a great deal of strategy to his matches, who selectively expanded his game from the baseline forward and had success doing it on the world's biggest stages.

In one word, Jimmy Connors.

IMO, Cahill or Annacone might be too drastic in that they might try to overhaul his game. That's not good.

good suggestion on Jimmy Connors. Jimmy should be happy to do it.
but Fed may find their personalities don't match, so he won't hire him.

Oui, c'est moi.
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
"Agassi said he continues to train with Gil Reyes, his longtime conditioning and strength coach, and will get together with Darren Cahill, his former coach, to prepare for his return to the court."

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/40469287.html

NickC
03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
What's even better is that the USTA is hiring former dirtballers to help out with the development of top juniors' clay court games. Good stuff!

OddJack
03-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Ok, it's official now. Roger will have Cahill by his side at Indian Wells.

If he accepted it means he thinks he has the answer. Which I think he does.
This is good news.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25166580-23210,00.html

ac3111
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
The current news say that it did not work out...
Cahill is not teaming with Federer.
Article (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/259496,federer-cahill-collaboration-over-before-start-due-to-travel-issues.html).

pijal9110
03-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Article (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/259496,federer-cahill-collaboration-over-before-start-due-to-travel-issues.html).

I saw it somewhere in the internet as well, apparently the amount of traveling is an issue with Cahill especially with his young family.

ac3111
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Well this was the reason they announced but I am not sure it is the real one. After all Cahill must have known that Federer travels a lot and if he wanted to become Federer's coach he'd have to travel a lot as well. So in a way he knew from the beginning what would be the case.

Mkie7
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM

"You are putting words in my mouth like you put artificial facts in your head"..... David Letterman.

You can have the best coach in the word... if you as a player don't have what it takes ... it would not make you a champion. The champ gets all the credit for making the right decisions everything which gets him there... including the coach, trainer, time to rest and recover andetc.

Don't think there are any sane Fed. fans who would hate Cahill and no there is no such thing as a savior. :) Does anyone hate Uncle Tony?

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Well this was the reason they announced but I am not sure it is the real one. After all Cahill must have known that Federer travels a lot and if he wanted to become Federer's coach he'd have to travel a lot as well. So in a way he knew from the beginning what would be the case.
I agree. There must be something else that we'll probably never know.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree. There must be something else that we'll probably never know.

ofcourse. When it comes to federer, there always has to be some form of doubt there and there always has to be some sort of hidden message behind comments like these. It can never be the entire damn truth. It was just a trial test, and nothing was ever confirmed at all. There is a chance that after they hit a few balls in dubai, that Darren really thought about it and realized that he doesn't want to travel because he has a family. It's just a guess though.

Oui, c'est moi.
03-11-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25175197-23210,00.html

Federer said the big stumbling block proved to be the travel, which after some thought Cahill decided he didn't want to undertake as a fulltime coach.

“He said the travel was tough for him,'' Federer said. “He took the decision for me.''
So there.

Nadalator
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Cahill said no.

marc45
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
peter bodo up with another column about it...again digging into federer's psyche...bodo is practically trying to climb into federer's brain, almost obsessed? www.peterbodostennisworld.com

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
ofcourse. When it comes to federer, there always has to be some form of doubt there and there always has to be some sort of hidden message behind comments like these. It can never be the entire damn truth. It was just a trial test, and nothing was ever confirmed at all. There is a chance that after they hit a few balls in dubai, that Darren really thought about it and realized that he doesn't want to travel because he has a family. It's just a guess though.
I just agreed with that other poster that Cahill must have realized beforehand that the job would require a lot of traveling. My opinion is that when it comes to deals not working out we never know the entire truth about it. This is not true just for Federer, it's true for any player, Murray and Gilbert, Roddick and Connors... They make sure they have a proper version for the public but we never know everything that happens behind closed doors. My remark wasn't an attack on Federer by the way, it was totally matter of fact.

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I just agreed with that other poster that Cahill must have realized beforehand that the job would require a lot of traveling. My opinion is that when it comes to deals not working out we never know the entire truth about it. This is not true just for Federer, it's true for any player, Murray and Gilbert, Roddick and Connors... They make sure they have a proper version for the public but we never know everything that happens behind closed doors. My remark wasn't an attack on Federer by the way, it was totally matter of fact.

Perhaps, I do "always" jump at the chance to defend fed, kind of like what you do with nadal. Anyways, I apologize for my attack. I was wrong for doing it. Although, I don't agree with you're first statement. The "always" part is a bit of an exaggeration.

oh never mind, you seem to have edited it out. Anways, I'm sorry.

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Perhaps, I do "always" jump at the chance to defend fed, kind of like what you do with nadal. Anyways, I apologize for my attack. I was wrong for doing it. Although, I don't agree with you're first statement. The "always" part is a bit of an exaggeration.

oh never mind, you seem to have edited it out. Anways, I'm sorry.
It's OK I understand but I hope you realize I don't always criticize Federer, sometimes I do but not always :)
PS yes I edited it, it sounded too judgemental when I reread it, I didn't even know it had already gone through, sorry!

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
It's OK I understand but I hope you realize I don't always criticize Federer, sometimes I do but not always :)

Yeah, I realize that. I should take my own advice of not always looking for the negativity in things. I'm working on it.

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I realize that. I should take my own advice of not always looking for the negativity in things. I'm working on it.
I think you're very reasonable compared to some posters on this board ;)

icedevil0289
03-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I think you're very reasonable compared to some posters on this board ;)

thanks. btw, veroniquem, remember how you were saying fed does not compliment nadal nearly as much as he should, which I agree with, or his compliments aren't that great? I posted an article in the "nadal discusses federer's emotional breakdown" thread. I think its a start. Atleast he does aknowledge that his crying was embarrassing.

veroniquem
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
thanks. btw, veroniquem, remember how you were saying fed does not compliment nadal nearly as much as he should, which I agree with, or his compliments aren't that great? I posted an article in the "nadal discusses federer's emotional breakdown" thread. I think its a start. Atleast he does aknowledge that his crying was embarrassing.
Yes, I'm glad he acknowledged that. I was expecting it to happen in the after match press conf and I was surprised it didn't, so I'm glad he said it later on. I will read that article, thanks for posting it.

VivalaVida
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
why are posters on this board getting satisfaction from federer admitting his crying was embarrassing. It is as if he owes you guys and nadal an apology whichh he clearly doesn't :rolleyes: His reaction was not an insult to nadal, he let his emotions get the better of him in an unappropriate way.

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
why are posters on this board getting satisfaction from federer admitting his crying was embarrassing. It is as if he owes you guys and nadal an apology whichh he clearly doesn't :rolleyes: His reaction was not an insult to nadal, he let his emotions get the better of him in an unappropriate way.

I totally agree. Just because Fed acts like a human sometimes (which is hard to believe, considering his abilities), it doesn't mean we should make 100 threads about it.

ac3111
03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Federer crying is more logical than see others more expressive players during the game cry afterwards. When you hold your emotions inside you then in the end you can not restrain it inside. You want to let it out...

SaintClaires
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Federer crying is more logical than see others more expressive players during the game cry afterwards. When you hold your emotions inside you then in the end you can not restrain it inside. You want to let it out...

Very well said...

Morrissey
03-11-2009, 08:50 PM

I read that as well. Apparently personal matters and conflicting schedules was the issue. So that's what I read. But we'll see in IW if he's there.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-12-2009, 05:05 AM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/03/breaking-news.html

The article by Peter Bodo says why he believes it was called off. Bodo really has a way with words as well as a particular insight into what's going on in tennis, in some areas. Interesting ideas he put forth on why it didn't work out, and its not the light message so many other news media are reporting, which basically say, "Scheduling, too many weeks spent traveling and other things to do..." I don't think Bodo is obsessed in the slightest, why would he be? Rather, he is another one who is paid to analysis and write about tennis, especially big news items, and that's exactly what he is doing.

Excerpt from:

"Now I have another theory here, and I'm advancing it as just that:

Perhaps Roger Federer was not entirely content with either what Cahill brought to the table, or the terms under which he wanted to work (the reasons might have been anything from those cited above to a disagreement over salary, or Cahill's insistence that he not have to go through Mirka to get to Roger). Federer's inner sanctum then recognized that while being the one to pull the plug would make Federer appear to be in one in control, it would also raise potentially uncomfortable questions: Why is Federer being so stubborn? Is the guy too picky? Is he afraid to change his game, or give the highly-regarded Cahill enough control to make a difference? "

Italics are just to show its a quote, but the bold portions was Bodo's emphasis in his article.

devila
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
He can't admit that he embarrassed Nadal either. I can't imagine how he'd feel when Roddick and Murray beat him repeatedly. He can only mention his embarrassment after the media foamed at the mouth. If Nadal and Roddick were blubbering, Federer wouldn't even care. After Novak beat Federer, he shook his head and said, "I don't care" (for the final with Tsonga vs. Novak).

veroniquem
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Wow Bodo is getting bolder and bolder by the minute! :shock:
I like it :)

pound cat
03-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Timesonline....March 13 Neil Harman

"Darren Cahill, regarded as the finest coach not to have mentored him, phoned for a trial, then, bizarrely, decided that it was not for him before an interview had been arranged."

pound cat
03-13-2009, 04:15 AM
and then there's thi s article which gives a different spin on what happened.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25177664-11088,00.html

the botom line is no one other than those directly involved ie Cahill/Federer know how it all played out.

All we will ever really know is that Cahill is not coaching Federer.

tennis_hand
03-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Cahill should have known that he cannot be a pro coach if he doesn't want to travel.

I don't understand what the problem is for him. If he wants to see his kids coming home every day, he'd better find an office 8-5 job. He shouldn't have contacted Fed in the first place.

veroniquem
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Cahill should have known that he cannot be a pro coach if he doesn't want to travel.

I don't understand what the problem is for him. If he wants to see his kids coming home every day, he'd better find an office 8-5 job. He shouldn't have contacted Fed in the first place.
That's why I said obviously there are other reasons why this is not working out but as pound cat said we'll never know which ones, I'm just glad Cahill will keep commenting for American TV.

sureshs
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM

1. He may have wanted a "light travel" agreement like Roche or Higueras had, and hoped he could get it.

2. The reason he is giving may not be what it appears. After Roche and Fed split, the media said they were not communicating and Roche didn't like the travel. It emerged later on that Roche wanted more money. Same could have happened here.

I agree, the story of him discovering how much he misses his kids after he lands up in Dubai doesn't sound too convincing.

FEDEXP
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM
"Now I have another theory here, and I'm advancing it as just that"
Peter Bodo :"theory......"

TheNatural
03-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Obviously Cahill knew about the travel involved. Fed was too stingy with his offer. It's as simple as that.

The marginal amount of extra $ Cahill was going to make by having to travel full time wasn't worth it for him compared to what he could make elsewhere without traveling so much.

Anyways I doubt Fed would have listened to Cahill. Fed's happy he wont have to work on his net game now.