PDA

View Full Version : can grips be reduced?

galahad
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I have a Yonex rdx 500,and was essentially given a 4 5/8, but would prefer a 4 1/2.
Do I have any recourse??

esrb
03-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Perhaps with sandpaper, carefully !! or go to the Home Depot and use some carpenter's tools....carefully !!

NoBadMojo
03-01-2005, 07:32 PM
suggest you put her up for sale and get a 4 gripsize..or..you could remove the grip that came with it and substitute 2 overgrips and see how you like that...you'll be able to feel the bevels more and also shock on mishits, it would make the grip smaller however

FuriousYellow
03-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I was wondering if there was some type of manufacturers standard for measuring grip sizes. The RDX racquets were the only 4 1/2" grip-size racquets I've demoed that actually measured 4 1/2" with the grip on. Every other racquet measured 4 5/8" with the grip on.

Is grip-size supposed to be measured with the grips on or off?

sinoslav
03-01-2005, 08:04 PM
You can do an OK job with sandpaper, I've reduced a 4-3/8 racquet about half a size with sandpaper. But be very careful.

Rackethead
03-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I would replace the grip with a yonex supergrap + your regular overgrip e.g. a tournagrip. This reduces the grip size about 1/2 and the supergrap is more durable than say 2 overgrips. My wife's rackets are done this way.

bee
03-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I play with a PS Original 95 with lead tape along the handle, the butt of the handle built up with 1/2 " tape and no regular padded grip but an XL TournaGrip over the whole thing. Doesn't go up quite far enough so I use some extra tape at the far end of the handle. It feels good. Very good control and I don't really miss the padded grip. It's a 1/2 handle but feels more like 3/8.

mdmicawber
03-16-2005, 12:07 PM
I sanded my Mp Tour-5's down from 4 5/8 to about 4 1/2. You will need a sanding block, 60 grit paper (the very rough stuff), and a cloth tape measure to track your progress. When sanding you will want to make sure you dont take off the bevels. I found by the end of the job my bevels were actually sharper than when they started. I think the handles are fiberglass? Whatever they are it takes a lot longer to sand them down compared to a piece of wood. Just take your time and don't soften the bevels. Measure the fiberglass handle without the grip, figure out how much smaller you wish to go and get sanding, measure your work often at first to get an idea as to how much you're taking off. Also, I wrapped my Yonex grip as tight as I could making it firmer yet still able to absorb shock. It feels 100% better.