PDA

View Full Version : "Tsonga has Djokovic's number again"

DarthFed
02-21-2009, 02:23 PM
This is the headline on the ATP website...Tsonga is a bad match up for Djoker i guess

As of today it's 4-1 Tsonga and he got it done in straights too

Djokovic's lone win was the AO final

Will Tsonga be to Djoker as Murray is to Fed?

icedevil0289
02-21-2009, 02:26 PM
hmm, that's interesting. Although I do hope fed will able to beat murray when they meet, I'll be rooting for tsonga if he and djokovic clash again. btw, I noticed your from queens. I go to college in queens.

saram
02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
You know, a few people are going to jump all over you for the 'spoiler' here....:) Just a head's up.

Mick
02-21-2009, 02:33 PM
when tsonga is playing well, it's mighty tough to beat him: too much power, too much variety.

rolandg
02-21-2009, 02:36 PM
This is the headline on the ATP website...Tsonga is a bad match up for Djoker i guess

That's really the only match they have played that matters.

DarthFed
02-21-2009, 02:38 PM
hmm, that's interesting. Although I do hope fed will able to beat murray when they meet, I'll be rooting for tsonga if he and djokovic clash again. btw, I noticed your from queens. I go to college in queens.

Really? cool i go to college in Manhattan

You know, a few people are going to jump all over you for the 'spoiler' here.... Just a head's up.

I was going to post this earlier but figured i should wait...not long enough i guess? the match has been over for quite some time though

when tsonga is playing well, it's mighty tough to beat him: too much power, too much variety.

Yes but for me that the indicative of a rivalry then, but its been a blow out

DarthFed
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Almost every match matters:-|

saram
02-21-2009, 02:40 PM

I'll agree with that 110%.

ruerooo
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
They don't even play till tomorrow.
Even though I'm rooting for Tsonga, isn't this all a little premature?

Rob_C
02-21-2009, 03:16 PM

That was Tsonga 1st tour final I believe, and it was a GS no less.

Djokovic didnt win his 1st major final, neither did Murray. I think the edge was Djoovic's big match experience over Tsonga's inexperience, cause he definitely has his number now.

As far as Fed and Murray, even tho Murray played better than Fed last summer, Fed still beat him when it counted the most. I think that'll still be the case.

saram
02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
They don't even play till tomorrow.
Even though I'm rooting for Tsonga, isn't this all a little premature?

Guess again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AtPUHwHHk8RbAFsYAlk6mDw4v7YF?slug=ap-marseille&prov=ap&type=lgns

DarthFed
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
That article was funny....when he's beaten you in 4 times in the last 6 months its hardly an upset anymore

saram
02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
That article was funny....when he's beaten you in 4 times in the last 6 months its hardly an upset anymore

Good point!

ruerooo
02-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Guess again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AtPUHwHHk8RbAFsYAlk6mDw4v7YF?slug=ap-marseille&prov=ap&type=lgns

My bad - I got confused. Somehow I got it into my head that it was the Djoker instead of Llodra in the final.

saram
02-21-2009, 04:12 PM
My bad - I got confused. Somehow I got it into my head that it was the Djoker instead of Llodra in the final.

No worries...:)

vmosrafa08
02-21-2009, 04:40 PM
As I've said before, Djokovic beat Tsonga in the only match that actually mattered.

VivalaVida
02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
As I've said before, Djokovic beat Tsonga in the only match that actually mattered.
that is a terrible excuse and completely takes away the hard work tsonga did to beat nole. Every match matters. This is just as bad as when people say that murray lost to fed in the only match that matter.

sargeinaz
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
that is a terrible excuse and completely takes away the hard work tsonga did to beat nole. Every match matters. This is just as bad as when people say that murray lost to fed in the only match that matter.

I have to disagree. Ask Tsonga if he would trade his 4 wins for the AO and I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes.

VivalaVida
02-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I have to disagree. Ask Tsonga if he would trade his 4 wins for the AO and I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes.
that, under no circumstances, means that tsongas four wins against djokovic mean nothing. :-?

ruerooo
02-21-2009, 05:02 PM

I don't know about that. Do you think he thinks he doesn't have another AO in him?

I feel like he's just warming up post-surgery. Did you read his post-final interviews from J-burg? I don't think I'd doubt him like that.

SempreSami
02-21-2009, 05:14 PM

*******s seem to think differently when his head to head with Murray is brought up.

Cyan
02-21-2009, 05:17 PM

I'm sure Murray would trade all those tuneup wins vs Fed for the USO win...:oops:

I'm sure Tsonga would trade all those tuneup wins vs Nole for the AO win...:oops:

oranges
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm sure Murray would trade all those tuneup wins vs Fed for the USO win...:oops:

I'm sure Tsonga would trade all those tuneup wins vs Nole for the AO win...:oops:

Of course they would trade any win for a GS title, I bet Nadal would trade his wins over Tsonga for the AO one, and that was only for the place in the final, don't see how it's relevant for considering the matchups though. In this particular one, I wouldn't bet money on Djokovic repeating the same feat when they meat in GS on hard or grass.

iamke55
02-21-2009, 07:50 PM
More proof that Nadal is better than Djokovic on hard court.

edberg505
02-21-2009, 08:52 PM

Hey, that's all fine and dandy, but you had better believe that both Murray and Tsonga will have the advantage should they meet up with Federer and Djokovic respectively in a slam tournament.

shawn1122
02-21-2009, 09:54 PM
It's starting to look like Murray is to Fed and Tsonga is to Djokovic as Murray is to Nadal, at least on hard courts..

tennis_hand
02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Tsonga will be one of the top players, if he can play consistently.
He got power and variety and volleying skills.

VivalaVida
02-21-2009, 10:32 PM

what are those stupid emoticons for. Your the one coming across as an idiot. I am pretty sure they would trade those wins too but only a ****** would consider that those wins dont matter at all. These "tuneup" wins are helping both tsonga and murray get more confident and you can bet your life that the both tsonga and murray will take advantage of this experience and eventually start beating fed and djoker.

tahiti
02-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't know what's up with Djoko lately but if he's playing well he can beat Tsonga. Tsonga is in excellent form right now and wins by brute force going for every winner and he paints the lines and volleys brilliantly! He'll be in the upper half of the top 10 if he continues like this in no time!

Some players manage to beat certain players a lot. For sure it must be getting Djoko down this H2H but, maybe Djoko is also learning to pace himself. 2 years ago in Shanghai he was so dead beat he couldn't perform. I'm hoping that as players mature, they learn to pace and realise that they don't need to win every tournament.

tahiti
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
The Joker doesn't only have the AO he has 11 other titles.

bluetrain4
02-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think which matters matter has to be "either-or". Tsonga has beaten Djokovic 4 consecutive times. This gives him confidence and plants a seed of doubt in Djokers head. Clearly, these wins matter.

Djokovic beat Tsonga in their only best of 5 encounter which was in a Slam. This win may matter more (though the fact that it is the oldest of their matchups may decrease its importance slightly), because Tsonga doesn't know that he can beat Djokovic on the biggest stage. But, it doesn't completely negate Tsonga's other wins.

P_Agony
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM

Well, yes, Tsonga looks like he owns Joker, but Djokovic won their most important match. I'd rather have Djokovic's one win over Tsonga's four. It's just like Murray's record against Federer, I believe it's 5-2, but Federer was the one to win the US Open final between them, so I'd rather have his win over Murray's wins. We'll have to wait and see that when it comes to a best of 5, grand slam final, Tsonga has what it takes to beat Djokovic (though I doubt they'll meet in a GS final ever again).

rolandg
02-22-2009, 04:11 AM

They would be completely true though. It doesn't matter how many times you beat someone in some crappy tour event if you can't do it in the majors.

CocaCola
02-22-2009, 05:06 AM

True...At the next GS Djoker will win I'm sure. (Fed also against Murray)

zagor
02-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Hey, that's all fine and dandy, but you had better believe that both Murray and Tsonga will have the advantage should they meet up with Federer and Djokovic respectively in a slam tournament.

Yup,tennis is so mental.Both Murray and Tsonga will have more confidence when they face against Fed and Djokovic respectevily next time on a big stage.

True...At the next GS Djoker will win I'm sure. (Fed also against Murray)

Not really so sure,on both accounts.

DarthFed
02-22-2009, 07:58 AM
I just can't imagine Murray knocking Fed out of a major....nnot when you need five sets

As for Tsonga....that was their first meeting (AO) and after that he's beaten him...convincingly 4 consecutive times, if he won 4 consecutive time THEN lost at the AO i could understand

VivalaVida
02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
They would be completely true though. It doesn't matter how many times you beat someone in some crappy tour event if you can't do it in the majors.
news flash. Tsonga and Murray have got only one shot at Djokovic and federer at a Grand Slam, respectively. every win gives a player more confidence and it is foolish to say that some matches dont matter.

batz
02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
The headline I saw on the ATP site said:

"Tsonga Downs Djokovic"

I had to do a double take as I didn't notice the first d:)

gj011
02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
The ATP headlines about this match have been malicious and in poor taste. I thought they are not supposed to be biased and to put down players like this. I am sure they wont say "Murray has Federer's number again" or "Murray downs Federer" next time Murray beats Federer.

Yes Tsonga won and played an excellent match, but this is a small tournament on Tsonga's home turf, where Djokovic never had much success. So nothing alarming.

Also if you look closely in Tsonga's wins, only one in Paris was important and all 4 have been really close matches, except on TMC where Djokovic clearly tanked the 3rd set since he already clinched 1st place in RR.

LanceStern
02-22-2009, 11:45 AM
More proof that Nadal is better than Djokovic on hard court.

I laughed there

sargeinaz
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
that, under no circumstances, means that tsongas four wins against djokovic mean nothing. :-?

When did i say that? What if he gets injured somehow and can never play tennis again? Then what? He'll have 0 slams. Stop kidding yourselves, he would take the 1 AO win.

sargeinaz
02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
what are those stupid emoticons for. Your the one coming across as an idiot. I am pretty sure they would trade those wins too but only a ****** would consider that those wins dont matter at all. These "tuneup" wins are helping both tsonga and murray get more confident and you can bet your life that the both tsonga and murray will take advantage of this experience and eventually start beating fed and djoker.

By the way, if you're going to call someone an idiot, it's "you're" and not "your". No need for the name calling, genius.

VivalaVida
02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
When did i say that? What if he gets injured somehow and can never play tennis again? Then what? He'll have 0 slams. Stop kidding yourselves, he would take the 1 AO win.
and when exactly did I say that Tsonga and Murray wouldnt take the 1 GS? The whole time I have been saying that Tsongas wins over djokovic definitely mean something, he is becoming more confident in himself against top players. btw I wasnt talking to you in my response to cyan so you don't need to butt in. Also I really don't sit down and write posts as if I am writing a term paper so no need for grammar lessons.